Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tell me again why Tony Shaver was fired
Bookmark and Share
Tribal Offline

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: Tell me again why Tony Shaver was fired
(04-27-2019 08:15 AM)Tribester Wrote:  + 1000000 The AD’s must not know about Saint Austin either.
Silly.

Tony is getting, what, 4 years salary to do nothing. What's the rush?

Austin probably wants to follow his dad and, don't forget, he's getting paid, too. But you two just keep hitting Tony and Austin and act like Huge has done something to advance our MBB program. While you're in her office, sipping tea, be sure to demand that she release the amount of money donated to MBB on OTOD.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
04-27-2019 09:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tribal Offline

(04-26-2019 02:59 PM)nj alum Wrote:  One more thing.

In national politics, bad news is dumped on a Friday for obvious reasons.

No OTOD MBB numbers have been released. MBB staff news is released today, a Friday.

This alum refuses to be manipulated.
https://www.wm.edu/about/administration/foia/index.php

04-27-2019 09:28 PM
Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar
(04-27-2019 09:17 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(04-27-2019 08:15 AM)Tribester Wrote:  + 1000000 The AD’s must not know about Saint Austin either.
Silly.

Austin probably wants to follow his dad and, don't forget, he's getting paid, too. But you two just keep hitting Tony and Austin and act like Huge has done something to advance our MBB program. While you're in her office, sipping tea, be sure to demand that she release the amount of money donated to MBB on OTOD.

I'm not hitting Tony, I'm hitting the hyperbolic reactions from posters who were all set to celebrate his return as Elon's head coach. But pass along my best to Tony when you next give him a lap dance.
04-27-2019 10:20 PM
Paulbintheburg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tribe
(04-27-2019 10:20 PM)Rocco Wrote:  
(04-27-2019 09:17 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
Silly.

I'm not hitting Tony, I'm hitting the hyperbolic reactions from posters who were all set to celebrate his return as Elon's head coach. But pass along my best to Tony when you next give him a lap dance.

Well, you showed them, didn't you?

When is your stepping up ceremony to Middle school?
04-28-2019 05:44 AM
Tribal Offline

Lap dance? Bwahahaha. Did Moran force that Freudian slip?
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2019 06:55 AM by Tribal.)
04-28-2019 06:53 AM
UmbrellaRiver Offline
Water Engineer

(04-26-2019 04:33 PM)nj alum Wrote:  
(04-26-2019 03:46 PM)billymac Wrote:  
(04-26-2019 02:22 PM)nj alum Wrote:  When Tony was tossed, Jon was tossed as well ... after graciously staying to fill the breach.

I know you have been very upset about what has transpired. I am not in agreement with everything that has gone on, either, BUT let's not create something just to add to your narrative.

I have it on solid authority, that Jon was offered a position on the new staff. He decided that, for whatever reasons, that it would be better for the future of his career to move on.

I would have loved for Jon to have remained on staff, not just because he is a solid coach, but because he is a super human being. He decided that he wanted to continue to learn and grow in a different situation. There is plenty to question the administration on, but tossing out Jon was not one of them.

Jon couldn’t stay. Tossing Tony was tossing Jon, regardless of whether he was offered a spot on the new staff, unless he got the HC position. Was that offered to him?

Yes. He turned down the HC position.
04-28-2019 03:41 PM
UmbrellaRiver Offline
Water Engineer

(04-28-2019 04:31 PM)TribeFam321 Wrote:  
(04-28-2019 03:41 PM)UmbrellaRiver Wrote:  
(04-26-2019 02:22 PM)nj alum Wrote:  When Tony was tossed, Jon was tossed as well ... after graciously staying to fill the breach.

I know you have been very upset about what has transpired. I am not in agreement with everything that has gone on, either, BUT let's not create something just to add to your narrative.

I have it on solid authority, that Jon was offered a position on the new staff. He decided that, for whatever reasons, that it would be better for the future of his career to move on.

I would have loved for Jon to have remained on staff, not just because he is a solid coach, but because he is a super human being. He decided that he wanted to continue to learn and grow in a different situation. There is plenty to question the administration on, but tossing out Jon was not one of them.

Jon couldn’t stay. Tossing Tony was tossing Jon, regardless of whether he was offered a spot on the new staff, unless he got the HC position. Was that offered to him?

New here and haven’t posted until now, but Holmes turning down the HC position is simply not true. William and Mary was his dream job.

Obviously wasn’t his dream job. Even if it had been at one point, things changed when his mentor received the phone call saying he was being fired. He had enough class to help the program during the transition weeks and made the ultimate statement by turning down the job.
04-28-2019 04:55 PM
Tac12 Offline
Water Engineer

(04-28-2019 04:55 PM)UmbrellaRiver Wrote:  
(04-28-2019 04:31 PM)TribeFam321 Wrote:  
(04-26-2019 03:46 PM)billymac Wrote:  I know you have been very upset about what has transpired. I am not in agreement with everything that has gone on, either, BUT let's not create something just to add to your narrative.

New here and haven’t posted until now, but Holmes turning down the HC position is simply not true. William and Mary was his dream job.

Obviously wasn’t his dream job. Even if it had been at one point, things changed when his mentor received the phone call saying he was being fired. He had enough class to help the program during the transition weeks and made the ultimate statement by turning down the job.

100% correct on all accounts NJ Alum. I also believe Jon had the decency/professionalism to confer with Tony before accepting the transitional role at W&M; which Tony wholeheartedly endorsed for the sake of the players. If you were an assistant on that staff and saw first hand how this fiasco unfolded, would you want to stick around???
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2019 07:43 PM by Tac12.)
04-28-2019 07:27 PM
Paulbintheburg Offline
2nd String

It was for all intents and purposes a job nobody wanted.
04-28-2019 07:40 PM
Tribal Offline

(04-28-2019 07:40 PM)Paulbintheburg Wrote:  

Yep. The number of coaches--HC and assistants--who said "no thanks" would blow your mind. Not speculation. Fact.

04-28-2019 07:43 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

Sure is a whole lot of assumptions and speculating going on. Maybe some of this is correct. Probably a lot isn't.
04-28-2019 07:44 PM
ColonelEbirt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
(04-28-2019 07:43 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(04-28-2019 07:40 PM)Paulbintheburg Wrote:  
(04-26-2019 03:46 PM)billymac Wrote:  I know you have been very upset about what has transpired. I am not in agreement with everything that has gone on, either, BUT let's not create something just to add to your narrative.

Yep. The number of coaches--HC and assistants--who said "no thanks" would blow your mind. Not speculation. Fact.

I’m not doubting this - I’m not in the know. But I do wonder who would be the source of this information, and then be willing to share with others? Huge knows - and is obviously not going to share this. Is someone on the committee going to talk about how no one wanted the job ... doubtful. So who on the inside would both a) be in the circle to know the details about whom exactly was offered, and b) be willing to share something like that with others that, if true, makes our school / program look really bad? I’ve gotta assume there are a ton of casual conversations with all sorts of people before serious discussions begin about job details and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-28-2019 08:03 PM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

Tell me again why this totally exhausted, rumor-filled, speculative "discussion" of why Tony Shaver was fired continues?

It goes round and round and ends up where it started...nowhere.
04-29-2019 05:55 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

[Image: beating-a-dead-horse.gif]
04-29-2019 06:02 AM
zablenoise Online
Heisman

Sorry I know people want this thread to die but I have so many questions because I am not in the know.

Why would Huge fire Tony just to give the job to Holmes? Definitely doesn't seem like her MO.

If Holmes turned the job down, how did we end up with Fischer, a coach with a stronger resume?

What made the job so undesirable? Salaries are increasing, support is increasing. Is the program still looked at that unfavorably? Did candidates have an issue with the Tony saga?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
04-29-2019 08:57 AM
Tribe2011 Online
2nd String

I Root For: W&M
Yeah, if you stop and think for a second, Holmes turning down the job (or even being offered it) doesn't remotely make any sense from multiple angles. First off, people like Holmes aren't turning down head coaching jobs period, event at WM. I believe exactly one coach who worked under Shaver at WM EVER has landed a head coaching gig, and that was at Mt. St. Mary's, far down the totem pole from us. Holmes isn't getting anywhere near a head coaching gig anytime soon (very possibly ever - the move from assistant to head coach is incredibly difficult to make with tons of good assistants out there), so it's inconceivable that he would have passed on the head job here. (And, because I'm sure someone will say it, no - there's no way he passed out of loyalty to Shaver or out of supposed fear of Huge. This would be pretty much a once in a lifetime chance for him, that he might never get, so he's not majorly stalling his career over what is an extremely routine move in college sports of moving on from a head coach after more than a decade. And if Shaver is half as good a person as he is portrayed on here - and I have zero reason to doubt he is - he would absolutely push Holmes to take the job. He wouldn't squander the career of one of his assistants over pettiness).

Then on our side, as the post noted above, we were turned down by Holmes, then ended up with a coach that on paper is way more qualified and seems to be very well respected in the coaching community? (I haven't seen a single person criticize Fischer.) Also doesn't remotely make sense. And add to that the fact that there was never any way Huge was firing Shaver and then promoting one of his assistants, for multiple reasons. That would have been completely nonsensical.

And lastly, I understand it's not a real complaint and is just people finding any angle they can to attack Huge, but this rumor about us getting turned down by a bunch of people for the job is a misguided thing to whine about. If that is true (I have no idea), that's a GOOD thing. Given that we, by all accounts, got at the worst a solid hire out of it, we absolutely SHOULD have started high and worked our way down. If Fischer had been our first choice, that means we had no ambition of going any higher. So I fail to see what the damage is from shooting for the moon in this search and ending up with a solid option after we put the work in to make sure that we couldn't do any better.
04-29-2019 10:28 AM
zablenoise Online
Heisman

(04-29-2019 10:28 AM)Tribe2011 Wrote:  And lastly, I understand it's not a real complaint and is just people finding any angle they can to attack Huge, but this rumor about us getting turned down by a bunch of people for the job is a misguided thing to whine about. If that is true (I have no idea), that's a GOOD thing. Given that we, by all accounts, got at the worst a solid hire out of it, we absolutely SHOULD have started high and worked our way down. If Fischer had been our first choice, that means we had no ambition of going any higher. So I fail to see what the damage is from shooting for the moon in this search and ending up with a solid option after we put the work in to make sure that we couldn't do any better.

Great point. If the "no thanks" were coming from some of the more outlandish names being thrown around on here (Pitino, Hammon, etc) then at least Huge was aggressively trying to improve the program.
04-29-2019 10:40 AM
Tribal Offline

I don't know where the Holmes to HC rumor started.

04-29-2019 01:00 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

Me either.
04-29-2019 01:15 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

First I heard about it was about 20 posts ago.
04-29-2019 01:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.