Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Men's CAA Tournament
Bookmark and Share
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
RE: Men's CAA Tournament
Turnovers in the first half sealed our fate. One of the things you just can't do against CofC is make mistakes and let them get transition points. You have to make them work in the half court. It was just a bad matchup and we did play strong in the 2nd half. CofC had too many answers. Next year is very promising for the Dragons.

To me the top 4 teams appears to be W&M, Drexel, Delaware and NU. UNCW might be, but their coaching will hold them back. Elon is on the rise, but not next year. CofC and HU lose too much. Towson is likely a bottom team and JMU probably a middling team.
03-11-2019 10:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
swampcougar1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CofC
One thing not mentioned is Harper being out. He seemed to play his best games against us. To me it was obvious you missed him last night. Spiker is a good coach and has Drexel moving up.
03-11-2019 11:33 AM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

I actually went to bed feeling OK about the game because Juric played well. When I saw him in Delaware I didn't know if he could do anything productive. Everybody was terrible at Towson so I couldn't take much aware from that. I liked he defense, he hit a jumper, finished around the basket, and could operate within the offense.

It's development of players like him that will make or break us.
03-11-2019 11:57 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Absolutely. Juric has been stellar on defense, it has been nice to see him do more. I wish we would have seen more progression from Doles and Washington during this time without Harper.
03-11-2019 03:55 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2019 11:33 AM)swampcougar1 Wrote:  One thing not mentioned is Harper being out. He seemed to play his best games against us. To me it was obvious you missed him last night. Spiker is a good coach and has Drexel moving up.

He was a an energy guy. With that energy there are positives and negatives. As a whole we became a better team without him, individually we obviously became worse. He did not play good defense so we improved. We lost the ability for big comebacks, and we lost his finishing and drawing fouls ability. Few on our roster can truly create their own shot. However, our ball movement and offense became better as we actually utilized everyone and played less ISO ball.
03-11-2019 03:57 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

i added $10 a month to our cable package to have cbs sports network this week. good hofstra-delaware game so far. this star player for hofstra has like 40 points. great move at the end of regulation to throw a double team at him so he had to pass. delaware is a good team when they're moving the ball and hitting threes instead of vintage delaware that's a one man game.

i was excited to hear the tournament is moving to dc next year. we'll try to go down. it should be a fun weekend.
03-11-2019 07:08 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
Justin Wright-Foreman scored 42, and you should know his name. He's sixth in CAA history with 2,269 points, and that's with hardly playing and scoring 44 as a freshman. Charles Jenkins, Antoine Agudio, and Wright-Foreman give Hofstra the top three CAA players in career points since Hofstra joined the CAA. Wright-Foreman has scored 890, and is likely to break David Robinson's CAA record of points in a season, which is 903.

Hofstra trailed by 5 early and led most of the game. Delaware went up 2 in the second half and in overtime. Hofstra scored the last 6 to win 78-74.
03-11-2019 07:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Northeastern and Charleston game was a good one too. For as good as Coen is as a coach, I felt like he really coached poorly those last 17 seconds. I also did not feel like that was a very well played game by the huskies. Their ball movement was not nearly as crisp or strong. I am sure some of that had to do with CofC's defense, but they were fortunate to escape victorious. I am glad our top 2 teams made the final, despite the bad look the conference is going to have tonight when likely less than 1000 people are physically there.
03-12-2019 06:10 AM
J.B. Offline

I didn't stay up for the last game, but I intensely watched the Hofstra game. I'm glad Hofstra was able to pull it out, though they looked like a panicked one dimensional team. I don't think I could have handled it if Delaware was in a position to even sniff a championship this year.
03-12-2019 06:37 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Tonight's schedule:

Tuesday 3/12:
G9 7:00 pm #2 Northeastern vs. #1 Hofstra

Game is on CBSSN, just like last night's games. Unfortunately very few have this channel, so you have to find other streams on the interwebs.

Northeastern is a 2.5 point favorite tonight.

This should be a dandy. Neither team really looked at that impressive last night. Hofstra had their zone exploited time after time and only had JWF do anything on offense and Northeastern did not have the crisp passing and cuts we are used to seeing. In any case this should be a great matchup and whoever wins is well deserving of the CAA bid. Both teams have the ability to win a game in the tournament, but it will depend on the matchup. I actually do not have much of a preference between the two. I may slight towards wanting NU, but the country watching JWF would be a treat as well.

NU- 76
HU- 72
03-12-2019 10:02 AM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

(03-11-2019 07:59 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  Justin Wright-Foreman scored 42, and you should know his name. He's sixth in CAA history with 2,269 points, and that's with hardly playing and scoring 44 as a freshman. Charles Jenkins, Antoine Agudio, and Wright-Foreman give Hofstra the top three CAA players in career points since Hofstra joined the CAA. Wright-Foreman has scored 890, and is likely to break David Robinson's CAA record of points in a season, which is 903.

Stokes is my favorite Hofstra player of all time. I didn't care for Agudio much. They always seem to have a guard who can score.

I didn't realize Hofstra hasn't won a CAA title yet. It'll be Drexel and William and Mary as the only 2 programs to never win one if Hofstra gets it done. Wikipedia says W & M is 0-9 all time in tournament clinching games which is a shame because I like their coach. I'm not sure who I want to win but just hope for a close game because that's good for the conference.
03-12-2019 11:25 AM
J.B. Offline

(03-12-2019 11:25 AM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  
(03-11-2019 07:59 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  Justin Wright-Foreman scored 42, and you should know his name. He's sixth in CAA history with 2,269 points, and that's with hardly playing and scoring 44 as a freshman. Charles Jenkins, Antoine Agudio, and Wright-Foreman give Hofstra the top three CAA players in career points since Hofstra joined the CAA. Wright-Foreman has scored 890, and is likely to break David Robinson's CAA record of points in a season, which is 903.

Stokes is my favorite Hofstra player of all time. I didn't care for Agudio much. They always seem to have a guard who can score.

I didn't realize Hofstra hasn't won a CAA title yet. It'll be Drexel and William and Mary as the only 2 programs to never win one if Hofstra gets it done. Wikipedia says W & M is 0-9 all time in tournament clinching games which is a shame because I like their coach. I'm not sure who I want to win but just hope for a close game because that's good for the conference.

Towson hasn't won a CAA Title either. Since Drexel joined the CAA in 2002, Drexel, Hofstra, Towson, Elon and W&M haven't won it. Georgia State didn't win it either while in the CAA.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019 12:18 PM by J.B..)
03-12-2019 11:57 AM
Zorch Online
All American

I Root For: W&M
(03-12-2019 11:57 AM)J.B. Wrote:  
(03-12-2019 11:25 AM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  Wikipedia says W & M is 0-9 all time in tournament clinching games ...

Towson hasn't won a CAA Title either. Since Drexel joined the CAA in 2002, Drexel, Hofstra, Towson, Elon and W&M haven't won it. Georgia State didn't win it either while in the CAA.

Going back even further, American University never won a CAA title, either. They left for the Patriot League.

W&M is 0-4 in the CAA and 0-1 in its predecessor, the ECAC South (which basically added American and UNCW and changed its name). The other four championship game losses would have been in the old Southern Conference. I know at least one of those losses (maybe two) were to West Virginia when Jerry West was playing there. Very close loss, too, IIRC.
03-12-2019 01:15 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Congrats to Northeastern. They were the better team. For much of the game Hofstra did not support JWF and made him try and do everything. Once others got involved they made some nice runs, but NU stayed poised through each one. As disappointing as it is that JWF does not get a chance in the NCAAT, I think we sent our best team.
03-13-2019 06:18 AM
J.B. Offline

Hofstra was cruising along for most of the season, but after their huge win at Charleston, then ran into a brick wall and we never the same team since then. They finished off the regular season against 5 bad teams, lost to 2 of them and barely beat the other 2 before finishing up with a blowout of Delaware. They were never the same team. When I watched, I saw a one dimensional team where everything flowed through JWF, kind of like some Drexel games where the entire offense seemed to flow through Harper.

Meanwhile, after Northeastern lost at Charleston, they managed to turn on the burners, and pretty much managed to blow everyone out the rest of the way, playing the same schedule as Hofstra.

Agree that the better team win. Great job, dan10...when you gave your predictions before the tournament, you were clearly able to see that NU was the better team.
03-13-2019 06:53 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I am no nostradamus, I think most thought NU was the better team as they continued to get healthier. Heck Vegas had them favored too over HU. With the exception of Delaware catching fire, it really played out pretty predictably. Hopefully NU gets a decent draw and HU shows up for the NIT (which will be a road game)
03-13-2019 09:44 AM
Timer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CAA
(03-12-2019 01:15 PM)Zorch Wrote:  W&M is 0-4 in the CAA and 0-1 in its predecessor, the ECAC South (which basically added American and UNCW and changed its name). The other four championship game losses would have been in the old Southern Conference. I know at least one of those losses (maybe two) were to West Virginia when Jerry West was playing there. Very close loss, too, IIRC.

...and now W&M has let Tony Shaver go....
03-17-2019 01:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.