Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNCW
Bookmark and Share
J.B. Offline

I Root For: Drexel
UNCW
Dragons are back home on Thursday as the 311th ranked scoring defense (Drexel) takes on the 345th ranked scoring defense (UNCW).

I'll let dan10 give his outstanding pregame write up and prediction.

But while it's on my mind, I want to let everybody know that tomorrow's game is one of the CAA's really lame attempts at a "national game of the week".

The game will not be available on CAA.TV or Drexeldragons.tv.

You can watch the game for free at http://www.collegesportslive.com. However, I was told that Roku no longer supports the SportsLive app. So if you use Roku as your primary method of streaming TV, then you'll need to find another option to watch.
02-06-2019 09:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

RE: UNCW
Sorry been busy at work to this point the past couple of days. So I couldnt start the thread.

As bad as UNCW is on defense, this is still a bad matchup for us. We need to split this home stand for our best shot at avoiding the play-in game. This is the obvious game we need as UNCW is competing with us in the standings. Cacok can't graduate soon enough. We have nobody to defend him. He was quiet in the first half in our last matchup, then he destroyed us in the 2nd half. Our best chance at victory is getting him out of the game. Drive, drive, drive. Right at him until he is out of the game in foul trouble. Without him we can beat this team. It would be a good game to go zone and force them to beat us by shooting. This should be a good bounce back game for Harper, since UNCW is worse at staying in front of their man than us. His quickness on drives should yield a nice lay up line.

UNCW- 85
DU- 81
02-06-2019 02:38 PM
J.B. Offline

Tim Perry Jr. will be key to stopping Cacok. He was injured at the dub. I would expect him to get more minutes than usual tomorrow night. UNCW gave up triple digits at home to last place JMU on Saturday. Drexel needs to score on this team, and score a lot to have a shot at winning.
02-06-2019 02:47 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
Every CAA team is on CollegeSportsLive 2 or 3 times. Your two appearances are this one and next Thursday.
02-06-2019 04:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Shockingly, we are 5 point favorites. I am guessing they are figuring on Toews not playing. That is the best I can figure. It would be nice if he doesnt play, but Cacok means more against us than Toews
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2019 08:06 AM by dan10.)
02-07-2019 08:04 AM
Advertisement

J.B. Offline

(02-07-2019 08:04 AM)dan10 Wrote:  Shockingly, we are 5 point favorites. I am guessing they are figuring on Toews not playing. That is the best I can figure. It would be nice if he doesnt play, but Cacok means more against us than Toews

Do you really think that the people who set the Vegas lines pay that close attention to games like this and the player matchups? Do they even know or care whether their PG is playing or not? Games like this probably don't get much betting action, so there's no reason for them to spend much time on analysis. I think they just look at the standings and see that Drexel is 7-3 at the DAC and W is 2-7 on the road. Drexel is 10-13 in D1 games, while W is 7-16. So 5 points seems reasonable.
02-07-2019 09:02 AM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

lines are good for creating conversation...which this is doing. i've never been interested other than maybe giving me a sense of our chances. eagles last year proved how worthless they are.

the espn morning show came right out and said the drama in the nba is more interesting to talk about than the actual games. there is a rare tv or radio personality who can actually break down a game. otherwise we've regressed to hearing about where LeBron is sitting on the lakers bench.
02-07-2019 10:56 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

(02-07-2019 09:02 AM)J.B. Wrote:  Do you really think that the people who set the Vegas lines pay that close attention to games like this and the player matchups?

More than you give credit for, yes. Obviously their goal is to get even money on both sides. Our line actually opened as 4 and moved to 5, so there must have been enough betting that the line moved. 2 teams that are bad who are low in the standings, where one already crushed in the first matchup is shocking to me to be so high. I figured UNCW would be favored by 1 maybe 2. For the record Vegas really likes Elon as they were 17 point underdog tonight at Hofstra, as of this morning.
02-07-2019 12:24 PM
J.B. Offline

Sagarin has Drexel at .56 points better than W and if you add in the 3.15 home advantage, than it suggests that Drexel has a 3.71 point advantage.

And for what it's worth, Alan Boston of Always A Dragon doesn't think much of W at all, and thinks Drexel will blow them out tonight.
http://alwaysadragon.com/drexel-vs-uncw-pregame/
02-07-2019 01:12 PM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

(02-07-2019 01:12 PM)J.B. Wrote:  Sagarin has Drexel at .56 points better than W and if you add in the 3.15 home advantage, than it suggests that Drexel has a 3.71 point advantage.

And for what it's worth, Alan Boston of Always A Dragon doesn't think much of W at all, and thinks Drexel will blow them out tonight.
http://alwaysadragon.com/drexel-vs-uncw-pregame/

It is bold for sure. If we can blow any team out I would be happy, because that would mean we played a full game and had few if any lulls. Until I see it, no way I would predict it.
02-07-2019 03:05 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I hate how if a game is on tv we don't still stream it. We rather lock in to just the Philly market instead of trying to get as many to tune in as possible
02-07-2019 07:30 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

In the exciting game of whose defense is worst, we are at half with a 23-22 lead
02-07-2019 07:46 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Pretty fun 2nd half so far. Back and forth
02-07-2019 08:25 PM
Advertisement

EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
(02-06-2019 02:47 PM)J.B. Wrote:  Drexel needs to score on this team, and score a lot to have a shot at winning.
You scored 69 and won 69-57. Demir had 20 points, shot well, and had 8 rebounds. Butler shot 3-for-7 while having 11 points and 15 rebounds. Harper shot 2-for-10, with 8 rebounds way above his average of 3.1. John scored 14 making 4 of 9 threes (he didn't attempt a two) and 2 of 2 free throws. Wynter only scored 4, but had 8 assists without a turnover. Cacok shot well, but his 9 rebounds were way below his average. Toews had 2 points and 3 assists. Gadsden was averaging 2.4 threes made while shooting threes .552, which led Division I according to ESPN (I don't know why he doesn't qualify for the NCAA leaders). He had 2 points and shot 1-for-9. UNCW made 2 of 18 threes and 7 of 16 free throws.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2019 10:02 PM by EvanJ.)
02-07-2019 10:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J.B. Offline

Thanks EvanJ for the stat analysis. It was another good night at the DAC as the Dragons held off the dub in a game they absolutely had to win.

It was ironic in that I don't think anybody anticipated a first half like we saw, and nobody would have expected Drexel to hold this team to just 57 points. 2nd half was more what we expected, as Drexel started raining 3's on the 3rd worst defensive team in the country.

I thought that one of the big matchups tonight would be Cacock vs. Perry. But both got their 2nd fouls early so we didn't see much of either in the 1st half. Butler got the nod to defend him most of the game and did a decent job, and kept him to just 15 points. And Drexel, who normally is a terrible at defending the 3 held W to just 2-18 behind the arc tonight. Yet most of those misses were desperate attempts in the final minutes.

Towes did play tonight, but you could tell that he wasn't the player that we heard about. He was pretty much a non-factor tonight, as Evan pointed out.

Another poor turnout in the chairbacks tonight, expected for a Thursday night. But another lively student crowd. So it's good to see that the students are back and having fun watching Drexel Basketball again.

And now the the dust as settled in the CAA, Dragons are now tied with Delaware for 4th place, and 1.5 games ahead of 7th place Towson in their fight to avoid the first round of the CAAT.
02-07-2019 10:20 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

From the 2nd half video stream, it looked like there was nobody there, students or other fans. If they were loud and active then great.

It was definitely an important win. We really needed to get at least a split of these home games. This guarantees the split at worst. We started the 2nd half 7-9 from 3 so that made up for the 0-8 or whatever we were in the first half. Cacok was still a monster even if the stat lines didnt show it. Seemed like until very late every time he touched the ball he scored. Some of our doubles on him did work, forced him to pass and we got some deflections, even if we didnt force the turnover.

Harper was awful once again. There was very little he added to this game for us. Hopefully he can get it figured out, because with Lee out we do need Harper to be a positive if we want to keep winning. I was happy to see Coltrane knock a couple shots down, hopefully that build his confidence some. Butler was a beast on the boards. He still needs to finish better at the rim after doing the work for rebounds. Overall gotta be happy to beat UNCW and create some more space between us and the pack in the fight for avoiding the play in round. The rest of the games last night went our way.
02-08-2019 07:27 AM
J.B. Offline

Attendance was listed at 917, which is a little below average for Drexel but better than many other Thursday night. The student section wasn't filled but there was a very nice turnout. The President Suite behind me was pretty packed last night. Like we discussed before, that's probably where so many people who had tickets for those empty seats were hanging out. Not a good crowd, but I'll focus on the positives.

In comparison, Delaware only had 1,700 for their game last night, and they're a large state school with an exclusive market to draw from. A school like UD should probably be getting 3k to 4k per game, even on weeknights.
02-08-2019 07:46 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I get that weeknight games always will be a struggle. 7pm starts are decent for getting folks though. Obviously there are plenty of night classes that you will never capture, but it appears to me we still have some work to do on getting students to show up during the week. With only 2 games a week losing out on attendance for half of the games, just does not look good. We definitely need to keep up the good work and make Saturday tickets hard to come by.
02-08-2019 09:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.