Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Always A Dragon - Empty Seats at the DAC
Bookmark and Share
bmf25 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Drexel
RE: Always A Dragon - Empty Seats at the DAC
(03-09-2018 07:30 AM)fredsavage Wrote:  says a lot about the state of drexel basketball that a thread about the state of drexel basketball has turned into a debate about temple football.

well it is the month of march, Drexel fans typically have nothing to discuss this time of year.
03-09-2018 03:36 PM
Find all posts by this user
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(03-09-2018 03:23 PM)dan10 Wrote:  
(03-09-2018 03:03 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(03-09-2018 07:39 AM)dan10 Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 11:14 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 10:49 PM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  Personally I think temple should have ended football after the year they beat psu and should have beat nd. That’s their ceiling if not through it by a few floors. I went to independence mall a few weeks ago and had visions of what gameday looked like. Must have been awesome.

I root for temple. Don’t get me wrong. I just have trouble imagining them in the acc. It all depends on how much the big conferences value the philly tv market. Big 10 added Maryland and Rutgers for dc/nyc markets. Philly has always been a cast off. Even Nova basketball was a cast off when everybody bailed from the big east.

Rutgers is in the B1G and was in as bad a place than us, if not worse. There is no reason they can do it and we can't.

I've been to Maryland to see Temple play there. They have no better fan support than we have. Our student section blows theirs away.
Oh good, now you are comparing yourself to Maryland, who isn't a football school as your barometer.

Sent from my XT1080 using CSNbbs mobile app

You're putting words in my mouth, because I never said that. Georgia Tech, Washington, and Minnesota are probably the best comparisons from P5 conferences. Outside of that, San Diego State and Cincy are the programs we're most comparable to. UC recently finished an $86M renovation of Nippert Stadium, which is exactly what we need at Temple.
I wasnt talking about facilities. Maryland has extremely nice ones, I am talking about comparing fan support that you alluded to.

Well my point is that Rutgers and Maryland aren't exactly lighting the world on fire. I'm not going to compare Temple to Penn State and Michigan, because that would be stupid.
03-09-2018 03:39 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

(03-09-2018 03:39 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(03-09-2018 03:23 PM)dan10 Wrote:  
(03-09-2018 03:03 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(03-09-2018 07:39 AM)dan10 Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 11:14 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  Rutgers is in the B1G and was in as bad a place than us, if not worse. There is no reason they can do it and we can't.

I've been to Maryland to see Temple play there. They have no better fan support than we have. Our student section blows theirs away.
Oh good, now you are comparing yourself to Maryland, who isn't a football school as your barometer.

Sent from my XT1080 using CSNbbs mobile app

You're putting words in my mouth, because I never said that. Georgia Tech, Washington, and Minnesota are probably the best comparisons from P5 conferences. Outside of that, San Diego State and Cincy are the programs we're most comparable to. UC recently finished an $86M renovation of Nippert Stadium, which is exactly what we need at Temple.
I wasnt talking about facilities. Maryland has extremely nice ones, I am talking about comparing fan support that you alluded to.

Well my point is that Rutgers and Maryland aren't exactly lighting the world on fire. I'm not going to compare Temple to Penn State and Michigan, because that would be stupid.

Exactly. You are looking at 2 programs who are historically awful at football and moved to a football conference for nothing except money. If they are what you want to be compared to the future is certainly not bright. Enjoy temple's current ride, because it likely wont go forever based on history.
03-09-2018 03:51 PM
bmf25 Offline
Water Engineer

(03-09-2018 03:39 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  Well my point is that Rutgers and Maryland aren't exactly lighting the world on fire. I'm not going to compare Temple to Penn State and Michigan, because that would be stupid.

Rutgers & Maryland are both members of the Association of American Universities (AAU). The association consists of the wealthiest research universities in North America. Every school in the Big Ten is a member of the AAU, although Nebraska was recently kicked out.

While you are bragging about an under armor deal, Rutgers obtains nearly $700 million annually in research funding. Conference alignment is all about $$$, Rutgers and Maryland have money, Temple doesn't have money.

Conference alignment is not about fan support, or on-field success, it's about $$$$$$$$$$
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018 04:31 PM by bmf25.)
03-09-2018 04:29 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

just so nobody gets sensitive about talking temple football on a basketball thread...

I think you tie it together by saying at least temple has vision. If you would've told me 10 years ago they would be in the national picture at any point in college football I would've said you were crazy. Similarly...I get grief now and then just for expecting a competitive basketball team. I have DRASTICALLY lowered by standards as a Drexel fan. That is sad in some ways.

I'd probably rather come off as a little out there by thinking my team could reach a power 5 conference than be happy with a coach/ad completely tanking my basketball program. Which a good number of you on these message boards are guilty of.
03-09-2018 05:23 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-09-2018 04:29 PM)bmf25 Wrote:  
(03-09-2018 03:39 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  Well my point is that Rutgers and Maryland aren't exactly lighting the world on fire. I'm not going to compare Temple to Penn State and Michigan, because that would be stupid.

Rutgers & Maryland are both members of the Association of American Universities (AAU). The association consists of the wealthiest research universities in North America. Every school in the Big Ten is a member of the AAU, although Nebraska was recently kicked out.

While you are bragging about an under armor deal, Rutgers obtains nearly $700 million annually in research funding. Conference alignment is all about $$$, Rutgers and Maryland have money, Temple doesn't have money.

Conference alignment is not about fan support, or on-field success, it's about $$$$$$$$$$

Our R&D expenditures fall ahead of schools like South Carolina, Notre Dame, Clemson, Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Louisville, Wake Forest, Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Oregon, etc., and are almost 2x Drexel's.

I'm not sure how much we obtain in research funding, but we're classified as an R1 university while schools like Auburn, Baylor, Miss State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Alabama, and Wake Forest are not (assuming those are updated).

Hopefully, this takes us to the next level as far as research goes:

https://campusoperations.temple.edu/camp...rch-center

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_l6dUk8fBU

The AAU was our previous president's goal, so hopefully that comes to fruition soon.
03-09-2018 05:40 PM
bmf25 Offline
Water Engineer

(03-09-2018 05:23 PM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  just so nobody gets sensitive about talking temple football on a basketball thread...

I think you tie it together by saying at least temple has vision. If you would've told me 10 years ago they would be in the national picture at any point in college football I would've said you were crazy. Similarly...I get grief now and then just for expecting a competitive basketball team. I have DRASTICALLY lowered by standards as a Drexel fan. That is sad in some ways.

I'd probably rather come off as a little out there by thinking my team could reach a power 5 conference than be happy with a coach/ad completely tanking my basketball program. Which a good number of you on these message boards are guilty of.

Depends on how you measure success. We've hosted the US Squash Championship, created a men's and women's D-1 Squash program. Drexel is the 12th ranked men's squash program in the country, the men's squash team beat Virginia at the Hoehn Squash Cup.

Go to Villanova, St. Joes, or Temple if you like basketball... the culture at Drexel changed.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018 06:12 PM by bmf25.)
03-09-2018 05:46 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

i noticed a sign by the dac along 33rd street that proudly advertises our squash facilities and some kind of headquarters for rowing. it seems like we're trying to appeal to the wine and cheese demographic.
03-09-2018 06:49 PM
J.B. Offline

(03-09-2018 03:36 PM)bmf25 Wrote:  
(03-09-2018 07:30 AM)fredsavage Wrote:  says a lot about the state of drexel basketball that a thread about the state of drexel basketball has turned into a debate about temple football.

well it is the month of march, Drexel fans typically have nothing to discuss this time of year.

You're obviously not paying attention since one of Drexel's basketball teams ruled the campus today and is one win from the NCAA Tournament. You're obviously being selective to try to rip on Drexel...but that's what you do, so I would expect nothing less. You're probably going to respond by ripping women's basketball by stating something to the extent of "nobody cares", or will be rooting for Drexel to lose tomorrow so you can further rip on the athletic program.
03-09-2018 08:43 PM
J.B. Offline

Getting back to the original topic of the thread....

The student section was completely packed today for the CAA Semi-Finals. It started out a little light, but by the 2nd half, there were barely any empty bleachers open. Drexel had their backs to the wall and was on the brink of elimination, but the crowd and the atmosphere at the DAC was incredible. I loved watching Marshall waiving the student section to their feet from his seat in the front row where the DAC Pack used to reside, and the students responded. There were on their feet late in the game and screaming. And I'll bet that there's a bit of a buzz on campus right now, and I hope that leads to an overflow student section tomorrow so that they have to fill up the Elon side with Drexel students as well. More about the game on the other thread, but here I wanted to focus on today's outstanding student turnout.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018 08:48 PM by J.B..)
03-09-2018 08:47 PM
DrachenFire Offline
2nd String

(03-09-2018 06:49 PM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  i noticed a sign by the dac along 33rd street that proudly advertises our squash facilities and some kind of headquarters for rowing. it seems like we're trying to appeal to the wine and cheese demographic.

Listened to a podcast featuring Big Z as the guest, your statement doesn’t seem too far off.
03-09-2018 10:36 PM
fredsavage Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: drexel
(03-09-2018 06:49 PM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  i noticed a sign by the dac along 33rd street that proudly advertises our squash facilities and some kind of headquarters for rowing. it seems like we're trying to appeal to the wine and cheese demographic.

drexel used to be the blue collar chip in the shoulder school on the other side of penn...and what little basketball culture there was embodied that

now its the super expensive school that accepts anybody that can pay, with an ad led by a psychologist, that trips over itself to brag about squash and rowing
03-09-2018 10:42 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

the guy behind me told me to sit down when i was standing up for our second half run. i told him it was the championship game. it didn't seem to matter to him.

that's a drexel fan.
03-10-2018 06:23 PM
relaxing Offline
Water Engineer

What strides are we making?
03-15-2018 11:04 AM
fredsavage Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: drexel
(03-15-2018 11:04 AM)relaxing Wrote:  What strides are we making?

what are these strides you speak of? basketball is officially forgotten at 34th and market till october. see you at the dad vails
03-24-2018 07:22 AM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

Bet he talked about skiing for at least a solid 5 minutes.
04-05-2018 10:08 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I will bump this one too since this piece was mentioned in an excellent article. I assume most here already read and follow AAD but their post yesterday pointed out this article and it is more than worth a read from everyone here.

Link
01-09-2019 09:20 AM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
Thank you for letting me read about you. I'm near your age. We're fans of teams who haven't made the NCAA Tournament since they joined the CAA. You may already know that I like statistics. I'm going to look for a relationship for something for Hofstra's opponents.

Edit: One of the variables had a negligible difference between its values, so I couldn't get a conclusion.

Maybe tomorrow I'll tweet during Hofstra's game rather than posting on Flying Dutchmen Fans.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2019 09:15 PM by EvanJ.)
01-11-2019 09:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
The Grape King Offline
2nd String

No idea how this thread turned into trashing our athletics. I've always been a supporter of Drexel and city basketball and never understand things like this.

Anyway. I don't know how things have gone attendance wise for Drexel this year, but I'm sure Isabell leaving a few months after this piece didn't help. But you guys can start by lowering ticket prices. I went to the Quinnipiac game last year and the cheapest ticket was $20. I spent the same to see #1 Villanova a week or two earlier at Liacouras Center with 10,000 people in the building. I like to occasionally hit the other gyms in philly, but I'm not going back to the DAC to see you guys play Elon for $20. I can go up to La Salle and see Davidson or VCU for half that, or spend the same to see a Michigan or Indiana at Rutgers. Rider tickets are $10 and they sell that place out most nights, it's a fantastic atmosphere. I'm not going to spend $20 to see Drexel just for the goodwill.

I really do support your program and want to see it thrive. I actually made it into Matthews a few weeks ago and sat behind your bench and cheered for Drexel. But it's a competitive college basketball market. You're not hosting Cincinnati or Xavier and you don't play at the Palestra (I'd easily drop $20 once or twice a year to see DI basketball at the Armory, too bad that's dead). Adjust the prices and hit the billboards. Every city team needs to work on its exposure.
01-16-2019 02:18 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

That is an absolutely fair point. I did not even realize our tickets were that high. I went and checked because I figured our tickets were $10. I am assuming tickets went up after we put in chairbacks. I have not actually been back since the upgrades. I agree $20 for Drexel basketball for the general public is fr too steep if you actually want asses in the seats.
01-16-2019 08:35 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.