Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

God Bless the Sun Belt, and Nobody Else
Bookmark and Share
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
RE: God Bless the Sun Belt, and Nobody Else
(01-05-2018 11:39 AM)CoachWillRob Wrote:  3) Lower half of the conference has to beat the other middle-lower half of G5 foes. To help the validity of the top teams, the middle to lower teams need to have those wins to strengthen the argument of the top teams and the conference in general. And NO LOSES TO FCS TEAMS PLEASE!

This is probably one of the most important things... Sun Belt teams don't need to lose to MAC, MWC, or CUSA teams. The AAC has some strong teams, but there's no reason to lose to their middle-tier teams.

Example: Arkansas State beats UCF last season, then this season gets routed by a 7-6 SMU.
01-05-2018 12:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rik Flair Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stAte
(01-05-2018 11:39 AM)CoachWillRob Wrote:  
(01-04-2018 09:58 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  I'd like to know what you all think it would take for the Sun Belt to take the next step forward. I don't think it should be considered acceptable anymore that our terrible non-conference record is "better than it was when the league first got started." The league didn't just get started. We should expect far more than when the league was in it's infancy.

I don't think it is too much to expect, and I know App did not help this year until bowl season with this, that the league go at least .500 against other G5 schools. That is not all that high of a bar. I believe that the Sun Belt is better top to bottom than the MAC. There is no reason the Sun Belt should not be every bit the equal of C-USA. Against the Mountain West, there are some solid programs ahead of most SBC schools, especially budget-wise, but SBC can still be competitive with most of those teams. The AAC, beyond the top 3 or 4, is perfectly beatable.

Likewise, how do we get more P5 wins? Every year it seems like the MAC scores some W's over the B1G. What do we need to do differently? How does the league do better next year? How does the league, barring realignment, get better more permanently over the next five years?

1) It starts at the top. Every conference has "bad" teams relative to the competition in the conference. Not every conference has the "really good-great" teams in the conference. The Apps, Troys, & Arky States have to get a little better. (not specific those teams, so don't get butthurt if I didn't list you). But the conference champs can't have losses to the USAs or ULMs. (again, just example, not saying you guys are bad teams)

2) Beat P5 teams. Kudos to Troy for getting this started vs LSU. But we HAVE to beat P5 teams to get recognized and this starts with scheduling. I'm not a fan of scheduling so many of the Clemson, Georgia, Miami, and Penn States. Need to play them some, but not every year. They are just too good to compete with and playing them close will just get ya a golf clap and that's all. It's the middle to lower P5s mixed in with good G5s that need to be on the schedule. App has gotten better with WF, UNC, and ECU on the schedule. Then it comes down to beating those teams, which is more realistic than vs the top 15 teams.

3) Lower half of the conference has to beat the other middle-lower half of G5 foes. To help the validity of the top teams, the middle to lower teams need to have those wins to strengthen the argument of the top teams and the conference in general. And NO LOSES TO FCS TEAMS PLEASE!

4) Win more Bowl games. This we've done a good job of and need to keep it up. The more is in relation to more teams bowling. If #3 happens, this will automatically fix itself. Getting more then half the conference in bowl games and winning those is key.

I don't have the stats, but I suspect most of the wins over P5 teams by AAC and MWC is a result of getting those programs to schedule a home and home. They don't go into Alabama / USC / Ohio St. and win anymore than the other conferences, they beat the marginal P5 teams at home. Memphis beat Ole Miss and UCLA at home. That's the first example that comes to mind. If SBC schools can get winnable home and homes with P5 schools, we will see more success
01-05-2018 02:38 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
Word.
01-10-2018 01:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
All of us g5 conferences need to do better, winning more = more fans, more fans = more tv money and I’d like to see G5’s schedule more g5 home and home
01-17-2018 03:26 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(01-17-2018 03:26 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  All of us g5 conferences need to do better, winning more = more fans, more fans = more tv money and I’d like to see G5’s schedule more g5 home and home

Easy to say harder to do when the P5 places obstacles and supports crap programs like Vandy.

I am all for AL and tOSU getting every penny they have earned but Vandy / Wake gets the same conference and media checks as AL or Clemson while UCF gets pennies on the dollar in comparison. You make CFB a merit based pay out system and half the P5 folds and 20+/- or so G5 programs take off.

Trying to build a mansion with a trailer budget is hard.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2018 12:19 PM by JCGSU.)
01-18-2018 12:18 PM
slycat Online
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Please let's go one year with no FCS loses
01-18-2018 02:10 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(01-05-2018 11:39 AM)CoachWillRob Wrote:  2) Beat P5 teams. Kudos to Troy for getting this started vs LSU. But we HAVE to beat P5 teams to get recognized and this starts with scheduling. I'm not a fan of scheduling so many of the Clemson, Georgia, Miami, and Penn States. Need to play them some, but not every year. They are just too good to compete with and playing them close will just get ya a golf clap and that's all. It's the middle to lower P5s mixed in with good G5s that need to be on the schedule. App has gotten better with WF, UNC, and ECU on the schedule. Then it comes down to beating those teams, which is more realistic than vs the top 15 teams.

Invariably, when one of us beats a P5, ranked or otherwise, the discussion is not how good we are, but how bad the P5 is. We can't just beat a few, we have to beat a lot of them to reverse that trend.
01-18-2018 02:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.