Report: UCSD Finally Gets Big West Invite
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
RE: Report: UCSD Finally Gets Big West Invite
(02-20-2018 05:05 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(02-20-2018 03:16 PM)joeben69 Wrote:  
(02-20-2018 01:48 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  
(02-20-2018 01:15 PM)joeben69 Wrote:  another driving factor for ucsd to upgrade to d1...
student enrollment expected to approach 40,000 students within the next five years (2022)...projected from 2017...but planning for 45,000...
at 45000+ in student enrollment ...all things being equal...this would put ucsd at the top of the bwc as far as student population...

Wait — UCSD planning for 45,000
https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2017...neighbors/

UC San Diego News Center
Changing the Face of Campus
http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/feature/changin..._of_campus

(02-20-2018 01:38 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  
(02-20-2018 01:15 PM)joeben69 Wrote:  another driving factor for ucsd to upgrade to d1...
student enrollment expected to approach 40,000 students within the next five years (2022)...projected from 2017...but planning for 45,000...

UC San Diego News Center

then just take ucsd and leave two spots open for, whomever in case an opportunity arises.

don't pair them with cal state bakersfield just for politics sake or to maintain a cal state - uc balance. bakersfield adds no value. the wac will be stronger without them.

If UCSD had Football, then the P12 could look at UC Davis and UC San Diego as potential additions that keep the geographic balance. But they don't, so it wont happen.

It's great to see UCSD expand. I'd like to see Davis do likewise. That would ease some of the pressure on the UC system. It would be even better if Engineering slots were doubled, given the tens of thousands we import from out of State and Internationally for business here. We should develop that talent internally.

As for the Big West. It's a California conference, for California public schools. Whatever it was in the past it is no more. And it is very popular with the students and faculty, so that is not changing. I think the Big West would have preferred Sac State to CSUB, but Sac State was not ready to move.

the uc/csu balancing act in the bwc reminds me of the analogy of CSUs not being able to get into the pac-12 because the UCs will not allow it...

sdsu is nationally ranked university with a "Doctoral University" with "Higher Research Activity" (R2) status...sdsu also has pretty good athletics...what if sdsu gains membership in the Association of American Universities (AAU)...would that be a knock on the door of the pac-12???...or more like a kick???...just asking...

SDSU won’t—cannot—get into the AAU. The AAU would never invite a non-Research University in its ranks. There are several R1 research universities like Utah, New Mexico, Hawaii and Colorado St that aren’t even in the AAU and they are light years ahead of San Diego st in research.
San Diego st is also not a historically athletic school. It took the best MWC schools to leave the conference for SDSU to start making Bowl games again after making a couple in the 80’s and 90’s. No football stadium. Similarly, SDSU was awful in basketball until about 15 years ago. The worst team in the WAC for 20 years.
So, no, SDSU looks unlikely to get into the PAC...ever.

Can SDSU sell its athletics program to UCSD? Weren't they considering a new mascot anyway?

Boom. There's your PAC expansion, while keeping plenty of games in southern California. And, with PAC money, UCSD could likely come up with a better OCS solution....
02-20-2018 05:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
If UC San Diego and UC Davis were ambitious and they'd both position themselves for FBS football programs. As UCs they both have large residential student bodies that attend for 4 years. A modest athletic fee split among that many students could fund the endeavor. New Mexico St and other Indies out there they could make a go at FBS independence until the MWC schools made room for them. What conference wouldn't jump at a pair of UCs?
02-20-2018 05:55 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(02-20-2018 05:14 PM)YNot Wrote:  
at 45000+ in student enrollment ...all things being equal...this would put ucsd at the top of the bwc as far as student population...

UC San Diego News Center

(02-20-2018 01:38 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  then just take ucsd and leave two spots open for, whomever in case an opportunity arises.

don't pair them with cal state bakersfield just for politics sake or to maintain a cal state - uc balance. bakersfield adds no value. the wac will be stronger without them.

If UCSD had Football, then the P12 could look at UC Davis and UC San Diego as potential additions that keep the geographic balance. But they don't, so it wont happen.

It's great to see UCSD expand. I'd like to see Davis do likewise. That would ease some of the pressure on the UC system. It would be even better if Engineering slots were doubled, given the tens of thousands we import from out of State and Internationally for business here. We should develop that talent internally.

As for the Big West. It's a California conference, for California public schools. Whatever it was in the past it is no more. And it is very popular with the students and faculty, so that is not changing. I think the Big West would have preferred Sac State to CSUB, but Sac State was not ready to move.

the uc/csu balancing act in the bwc reminds me of the analogy of CSUs not being able to get into the pac-12 because the UCs will not allow it...

sdsu is nationally ranked university with a "Doctoral University" with "Higher Research Activity" (R2) status...sdsu also has pretty good athletics...what if sdsu gains membership in the Association of American Universities (AAU)...would that be a knock on the door of the pac-12???...or more like a kick???...just asking...

SDSU won’t—cannot—get into the AAU. The AAU would never invite a non-Research University in its ranks. There are several R1 research universities like Utah, New Mexico, Hawaii and Colorado St that aren’t even in the AAU and they are light years ahead of San Diego st in research.
San Diego st is also not a historically athletic school. It took the best MWC schools to leave the conference for SDSU to start making Bowl games again after making a couple in the 80’s and 90’s. No football stadium. Similarly, SDSU was awful in basketball until about 15 years ago. The worst team in the WAC for 20 years.

Can SDSU sell its athletics program to UCSD? Weren't they considering a new mascot anyway?

Boom. There's your PAC expansion, while keeping plenty of games in southern California. And, with PAC money, UCSD could likely come up with a better OCS solution....

Would they ever consider merging the two into one UC school?
02-20-2018 05:57 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(02-20-2018 05:55 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  If UC San Diego and UC Davis were ambitious and they'd both position themselves for FBS football programs. As UCs they both have large residential student bodies that attend for 4 years. A modest athletic fee split among that many students could fund the endeavor. New Mexico St and other Indies out there they could make a go at FBS independence until the MWC schools made room for them. What conference wouldn't jump at a pair of UCs?

UC San Diego isn't going to settle for aligning with Air Force, UNM, Wyoming or Boise - schools they have zero in common with. If they ever added football their only acceptable destination would be the PAC.
02-20-2018 06:02 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
If I were Larry Scott....

As the BigXII contract nears expiration I’d invite OU and KU to join for all sports and Texas to join for Olympic sports with a FB scheduling agreement (a la ND) until the LHN expires. I’d invite UCSD as the balancing non-football member and give them until 2031 to have a football program up and running to join as full members with Texas.

If KU and OU leave for the B1G, then same deal but 13/14 would be added in 2031 and would be some combo from Rice, TTU, and UNM.

The PAC-SW would be OK with the current SW schools as they still have SoCal access with UCSD.
UT-OU, KU-CU, AZ-ASU, UU-UCSD.
02-20-2018 08:37 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(02-20-2018 08:37 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  If I were Larry Scott....

As the BigXII contract nears expiration I’d invite OU and KU to join for all sports and Texas to join for Olympic sports with a FB scheduling agreement (a la ND) until the LHN expires. I’d invite UCSD as the balancing non-football member and give them until 2031 to have a football program up and running to join as full members with Texas.

If KU and OU leave for the B1G, then same deal but 13/14 would be added in 2031 and would be some combo from Rice, TTU, and UNM.

The PAC-SW would be OK with the current SW schools as they still have SoCal access with UCSD.

Colorado St and New Mexico have always been head scratchers to me....they have everything going for them except they just refuse to put money into football.
02-20-2018 08:45 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

(02-20-2018 08:45 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(02-20-2018 08:37 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  If I were Larry Scott....

Colorado St and New Mexico have always been head scratchers to me....they have everything going for them except they just refuse to put money into football.
New Mexico is the only MWC school I miss. Good BBall rivalry back in the day.
02-20-2018 08:56 PM
GiveEmTheAxe Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Stanford
(02-20-2018 05:55 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  If UC San Diego and UC Davis were ambitious and they'd both position themselves for FBS football programs. As UCs they both have large residential student bodies that attend for 4 years. A modest athletic fee split among that many students could fund the endeavor. New Mexico St and other Indies out there they could make a go at FBS independence until the MWC schools made room for them. What conference wouldn't jump at a pair of UCs?

I'd love to have UCSD and UC Davis. And I'd even be happy if they brought UCI and UCSB with them. That's an expansion pod that I'd like better than the Texhoma-4 in some ways. The Pac would be adding 4 AAU schools instead of 1. The distribution of schools in the Pac would much more closely mirror the distribution of people in the west. We would double the much fought over exposure to CA recruiting markets. We wouldn't be adding a third time zone to make travel more difficult. It makes perfect sense, except for the athletics part of course.
02-20-2018 09:06 PM
GiveEmTheAxe Offline
2nd String

(02-20-2018 05:57 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(02-20-2018 05:14 PM)YNot Wrote:  Can SDSU sell its athletics program to UCSD? Weren't they considering a new mascot anyway?

Would they ever consider merging the two into one UC school?

I don't think so. You'd still need a CSU to service the area for the kinds of students that aren't going to get into UCSD. And the new campus in nearby San Marcos isn't going to suffice.
02-20-2018 09:13 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

(02-20-2018 09:06 PM)GiveEmTheAxe Wrote:  

I'd love to have UCSD and UC Davis. And I'd even be happy if they brought UCI and UCSB with them. That's an expansion pod that I'd like better than the Texhoma-4 in some ways. The Pac would be adding 4 AAU schools instead of 1. The distribution of schools in the Pac would much more closely mirror the distribution of people in the west. We would double the much fought over exposure to CA recruiting markets. We wouldn't be adding a third time zone to make travel more difficult. It makes perfect sense, except for the athletics part of course.

Except Californians don’t watch football and we’d just be splitting the CA talent pot more ways. We NEEEEEED more avid fan bases in the conference, not to triple up on our largest but by far least enthusiastic fan base. We need Texas and Oklahoma if we want to keep up with the SEC and B1G.

[Image: IMG_0228_zpsk5aguud7.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018 09:28 PM by jrj84105.)
02-20-2018 09:22 PM
GiveEmTheAxe Offline
2nd String

(02-20-2018 09:22 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  

Except Californians don’t watch football and we’d just be splitting the CA talent pot more ways. We NEEEEEED more avid fan bases in the conference, not to triple up on our largest but by far least enthusiastic fan base. We need Texas and Oklahoma if we want to keep up with the SEC and B1G.

Well, the alumni of the four UC's I'm hypothetically adding would probably find their interest piqued at the thought of playing against USC, UC Berkeley (Cal) and UCLA. But no, I don't think that increase in interest would raise the overall percentage of cfb fans in CA to Texas and Oklahoma levels. That's probably too much ground to make up. If the talent pot is the main concern maybe we should trim the non-CA membership at the same time. Because Oregon, Washington, Utah and Colorado are bringing fans but not talent. In the end I'm not sure I care about keeping up with the SEC and B1G if it means playing Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. Yes, I realize that my attitude is exactly why we're doomed. But I'll be happy as long as I get to keep playing against Berkeley and the LA schools and would be even happier if I get to start playing against my Anteater/Gaucho/Aggie/Triton friends from childhood.
02-20-2018 09:42 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

(02-20-2018 09:42 PM)GiveEmTheAxe Wrote:  

Well, the alumni of the four UC's I'm hypothetically adding would probably find their interest piqued at the thought of playing against USC, UC Berkeley (Cal) and UCLA. But no, I don't think that increase in interest would raise the overall percentage of cfb fans in CA to Texas and Oklahoma levels. That's probably too much ground to make up. If the talent pot is the main concern maybe we should trim the non-CA membership at the same time. Because Oregon, Washington, Utah and Colorado are bringing fans but not talent. In the end I'm not sure I care about keeping up with the SEC and B1G if it means playing Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. Yes, I realize that my attitude is exactly why we're doomed. But I'll be happy as long as I get to keep playing against Berkeley and the LA schools and would be even happier if I get to start playing against my Anteater/Gaucho/Aggie/Triton friends from childhood.

Yeah, that attitude won’t keep the conference together. It probably won’t even keep the California schools together.
02-20-2018 11:07 PM
joeben69 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: sdsu, ucsd, usd

UC San Diego News Center

UC San Diego News Center

then just take ucsd and leave two spots open for, whomever in case an opportunity arises.

unfortunately going d1 non-football was a condition and selling point to going to the bwc...chances are sdsu & usd wouldn't not to compete for recruits with ucsd...but san diego has a good balance of d1 universities...

sdsu = fbs
usd = fcs
ucsd = non-football

most of the schools in the big west are located in southern & central CA...compared to CA Collegiate Athletic Association which has mainly CSUs distributed throughout the state...so the bwc fits better geographically & profile wise with ucsd...even though it cost more to be in d1 ucsd saves in travel being in a CA bus league...

too bad the bwc settled for csub instead of politicking for sac state...sac state would've been more preferable...
02-21-2018 02:26 AM
joeben69 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: sdsu, ucsd, usd

UC San Diego News Center

UC San Diego News Center

it may be several years down the road for sdsu to achieve a "Doctoral University" with "Highest Research Activity" (R1) status...but that's where they're headed...

Utah is a R1 research university that's not in the AAU but IS in the Pac-12...so AAU membership is not necessarily are a requirement for entry into the Pac-12...so it's a plus but not a must...

it wasn't until Utah had success in the mwc during the early 2000s that it was considered for the pac-12...also they where not invited to the pac-12 until the pac-12 did not get tx & ok in the pac-16 project...

sdsu football has made 8 consecutive bowl since 2010...
sdsu basketball has made 6 ncaa tournament appearances since 2010...
sdsu baseball has made 4 ncaa tournament appearances since 2010...

sdsu is also working on the sdsu west initiative which has been put on the ballot for November 2018...this includes 35,000-seat sports stadium to start...which is larger than WA state's stadium at 32,740...WA state is in the pac-12...

in the current state of the pac-12...sdsu won't get in due to the fact it's a csu...the question was meant to be a hypothetical situation where the UCs wouldn't block a CSU from getting invited to the pac-12...plus where sdsu checked most if not all the boxes required for membership...it seems that's where sdsu is heading as a whole...
02-21-2018 03:23 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(02-21-2018 03:23 AM)joeben69 Wrote:  

UC San Diego News Center

(02-20-2018 01:38 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  then just take ucsd and leave two spots open for, whomever in case an opportunity arises.

it may be several years down the road for sdsu to achieve a "Doctoral University" with "Highest Research Activity" (R1) status...but that's where they're headed...

Utah is a R1 research university that's not in the AAU but IS in the Pac-12...so AAU membership is not necessarily are a requirement for entry into the Pac-12...so it's a plus but not a must...

it wasn't until Utah had success in the mwc during the early 2000s that it was considered for the pac-12...also they where not invited to the pac-12 until the pac-12 did not get tx & ok in the pac-16 project...

sdsu is also working on the sdsu west initiative which has been put on the ballot for November 2018...this includes 35,000-seat sports stadium to start...which is larger than WA state's stadium at 32,740...WA state is in the pac-12...

in the current state of the pac-12...sdsu won't get in due to the fact it's a csu...the question was meant to be a hypothetical situation where the UCs wouldn't block a CSU from getting invited to the pac-12...plus where sdsu checked most if not all the boxes required for membership...it seems that's where sdsu is heading as a whole...

So you are saying SDSU will be R1 in research in 20 years?--I don't see that happening.
There will be a 35,000 seat OCS on a brand new Western campus--I don't see that happening. (Who's going to pay for that?)
You said if those 2 things happen SDSU can be a PAC member with Research Activity like one of the PAC's non AAU schools, Utah.
That if those 2 things happen, SDSU wil have a bigger stadium than PAC member Washington St.
Finding the worst 2 examples in the PAC in select categories as something that SDSU CAN MAYBE pass in 20 years is a horrible way to present your school as a conference candidate.
02-21-2018 08:19 AM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

(02-21-2018 03:23 AM)joeben69 Wrote:  

UC San Diego News Center

Utah is a lot closer to being invited to the AAU (on par with current members like Kansas and would be in the top 2-3 of publics that would move in if a vacancy were to arise) than SDSU is to becoming R1.
02-21-2018 09:36 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU

The low percentages in California still lead to a massive number. There are millions of college football fans in California.

17-28% of 35 million (California) is similar to 28-39% of 22 million (Texas).

6-9.8 million (California) versus 6-8.5 million (Texas).

This doesn't mean that the PAC 12 should expand with UCSD or UC-Davis. I absolutely agree that Texas and Oklahoma would be the ideal additions for the PAC. But, I don't know that the PAC is the ideal conference for Texas or Oklahoma.
02-21-2018 11:32 AM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(02-20-2018 09:22 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  [Image: IMG_0228_zpsk5aguud7.png]

This looks like one of those graphics that gets circulated on the internet and looks superficially appealing (people are more enthusiastic about CFB in Birmingham than NYC, duh) but doesn't hold up under close inspection.

According to this graphic, almost no one in Lincoln, Nebraska (or Omaha) is a college football fan, and people in the south and in Texas outside the large metro areas don't care about college football either.

Believe it if you really want to. I'll pass.
02-21-2018 11:50 AM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(02-21-2018 11:50 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

This looks like one of those graphics that gets circulated on the internet and looks superficially appealing (people are more enthusiastic about CFB in Birmingham than NYC, duh) but doesn't hold up under close inspection.

According to this graphic, almost no one in Lincoln, Nebraska (or Omaha) is a college football fan, and people in the south and in Texas outside the large metro areas don't care about college football either.

No one in Baton Rouge cares about LSU, obviously.
02-21-2018 12:19 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(02-21-2018 11:50 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

Would definitely like to see a source on this before lending it even an iota of credibility.

That being said, the light-gray areas don't show up on the legend, so in all likelihood it means that there's not enough data to include on the map. It doesn't help that rose pink and dark gray are on the legend with the implication that light gray would be in the middle. Actually, that whole legend is a mess. From medium red to dark red to light red to rose to dark gray? First rule of infographics: Never make the reader do more work than is necessary.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2018 12:44 PM by Cyniclone.)
02-21-2018 12:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.