Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Latest Episode of "The Beat and the Beard" UNCW sports podcast
Bookmark and Share
AlexRileySN Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Latest Episode of "The Beat and the Beard" UNCW sports podcast
Here it is: On Saturday, Michael and I are taping a special edition podcast with UNCW icon Brett Blizzard. We'll talk old school Seahawk hoops, life overseas and a more. Submit your questions now here or through email at alex.riley@starnewsonline.com

[img][Image: sm1brt.eps.jpg][/img]
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2018 09:30 AM by AlexRileySN.)
07-05-2018 09:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

Question 1

If he can say this, What the heck happened to Burnette before the Maryland game? My feeling is that if we had Timmy, we would have gone deep that year. The Drew Nicolas shot devastated me and will always haunt me.

Question 2

Is Matt ready to contribute this year. I know that you worked with him and his shot presentation is stellar. Can he be another Callahan type shooter?

Thanks and we loved following you! You inspired me to knock down 3 balls in my games and I stole a few of your subtle moves because I studied your game.
07-05-2018 10:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Latest Episode of "The Beat and the Beard" UNCW sports podcast
What was the most difficult part of transitioning to pro ball, and what is his outlook on Cacok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
07-06-2018 06:27 PM
getmhawks Offline
2nd String

(07-05-2018 10:21 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  Question 1

If he can say this, What the heck happened to Burnette before the Maryland game? My feeling is that if we had Timmy, we would have gone deep that year. The Drew Nicolas shot devastated me and will always haunt me.

Question 2

Is Matt ready to contribute this year. I know that you worked with him and his shot presentation is stellar. Can he be another Callahan type shooter?

Thanks and we loved following you! You inspired me to knock down 3 balls in my games and I stole a few of your subtle moves because I studied your game.

I always wondered what happened with Timmy as well. I know there was the altercation downtown that resulted in the first suspension and then the 2nd suspension just before the NCAAs. He would have been huge for us against Maryland. Had he been around his senior year, we would have had a shot at another CAA championship.

I always suspected it was a positive drug test giving the timing was just before the tournament. He was a really good guy with a great demeanor based on what I saw of him off the court.
07-08-2018 09:11 PM
AlexRileySN Offline
Bench Warmer

Until our Beers with Blizzard episode drops July 24, you'll have to settle for Episode 69 of The Beat and The Beard. Enjoy

https://omny.fm/shows/the-beat-and-the-b...s-wrestlin
07-09-2018 12:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Question for Blizzard- If you had to pick one memory for your time here what would it be?
I still remember the ear piercing crowd for nearly 5 minutes after you broke the school scoring record!
07-10-2018 07:30 AM
AlexRileySN Offline
Bench Warmer

We were going to take the week off, but enough happened in UNCW sports that we had to record Episode 70. Get caught up now.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-beat-and-the-b...e-head-out
07-16-2018 01:01 PM
AlexRileySN Offline
Bench Warmer

You've waited long enough - our special edition episode, Beers with Blizzard, is out now. We cover a wide range of topics, including his time in Wilmington, Jerry Wainwright, life overseas and more.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-beat-and-the-b...h-blizzard
07-23-2018 08:46 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Solid job with Blizzard. Was great to hear so many stories from "back in the day"
07-23-2018 10:13 AM
Proff Offline
1st String

Great listen. If you guys do it again with Brett - give me an invite & the beer is on me!
Good job guys.

Sent from my SM-G955U using CSNbbs mobile app
07-23-2018 01:15 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
Good episode. My least favorite answer Blizzard gave was to the question about Tim Burnette. His memory seemed suddenly artificially 'fuzzy'. With Burnette (who had just been named CAA tourney MVP) that could have been a Sweet 16 team. Sigh....
07-23-2018 10:18 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-23-2018 10:18 PM)70shawk Wrote:  Good episode. My least favorite answer Blizzard gave was to the question about Tim Burnette. His memory seemed suddenly artificially 'fuzzy'. With Burnette (who had just been named CAA tourney MVP) that could have been a Sweet 16 team. Sigh....

For real. Must have been some real "take it to the grave" kind of stuff not to be able to talk about it 15 years later.
07-24-2018 08:19 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-24-2018 08:19 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(07-23-2018 10:18 PM)70shawk Wrote:  Good episode. My least favorite answer Blizzard gave was to the question about Tim Burnette. His memory seemed suddenly artificially 'fuzzy'. With Burnette (who had just been named CAA tourney MVP) that could have been a Sweet 16 team. Sigh....

For real. Must have been some real "take it to the grave" kind of stuff not to be able to talk about it 15 years later.

He still works in the business, i'd suspect he doesn't want to burn any bridges
07-24-2018 08:38 AM
Seahawk2010 Offline
Special Teams

What is Tim Burnette even up to these days? Did he finish somewhere after being dismissed from the basketball program?
07-24-2018 11:36 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

(07-24-2018 11:36 AM)Seahawk2010 Wrote:  What is Tim Burnette even up to these days? Did he finish somewhere after being dismissed from the basketball program?

He went to Tarleton State, then played pro ball overseas. He was playing in Germany as late as 2016-2017.
[Image: mar-2002-tim-burnette-of-unc-willmington...?s=612x612]
[Image: timburnette.jpg]

https://basketball.eurobasket.com/player...ghts/46949

(This post was last modified: 07-24-2018 12:59 PM by 70shawk.)
07-24-2018 12:03 PM
getmhawks Offline
2nd String

If we do the math. An "NCAA violation" just before the NCAA tournament and no arrest or publicly available information. All signs point to a failed drug test. Blizzard was right not to answer.

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-instit...ug-testing

"The NCAA conducts testing at its championships, and year round on campus in Division I and II programs." The entire tournament should be considered a championship since all teams have an equal chance of winning. What if they waited until a later round in the tournament and a team that made it had a player or players that failed a drug test. Everyone would say the team shouldn't be there because the players shouldn't have played in the tournament.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2018 07:23 PM by getmhawks.)
07-24-2018 07:19 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

(07-24-2018 07:19 PM)getmhawks Wrote:  

If we do the math. An "NCAA violation" just before the NCAA tournament and no arrest or publicly available information. All signs point to a failed drug test. Blizzard was right not to answer.

"The NCAA conducts testing at its championships, and year round on campus in Division I and II programs." The entire tournament should be considered a championship since all teams have an equal chance of winning. What if they waited until a later round in the tournament and a team that made it had a player or players that failed a drug test. Everyone would say the team shouldn't be there because the players shouldn't have played in the tournament.

That's my guess as well. I suspect the substance involved may have been tame by today's standards.

What a shame. Tim went on to be a DII All-American as I recall.
07-24-2018 08:43 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-24-2018 07:19 PM)getmhawks Wrote:  

This is what I always heard on the rumor mill
07-24-2018 11:38 PM
AlexRileySN Offline
Bench Warmer

Michael and I will be taping Episode 71 on Monday, so if you have questions feel free to submit them now. Lots to talk about with the schedule, recent offers and more.
08-03-2018 11:28 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

(08-03-2018 11:28 AM)AlexRileySN Wrote:  Michael and I will be taping Episode 71 on Monday, so if you have questions feel free to submit them now. Lots to talk about with the schedule, recent offers and more.

I'd like to hear insights on various lineups that might be utilized over the course of games , given all new new faces and depth vs. last year.
08-03-2018 12:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.