Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Samantha Huge
Bookmark and Share
billymac Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: New AD's Huge Decisions
It will be very interesting to see what the PICTOR Group suggests. It will certainly be a different view, as it will come from an all-woman company.

Hopefully, it will be a fresh view and not a slanted one.
07-14-2018 04:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LeadBolt Offline
All American

The PICTOR Group has an interesting mix of FBS and FCS experience. I'm wondering if this maybe cover for reducing the number of sports fielded in order to concentrate resources in those which might have the greatest success/impact for W&M.

It will be interesting to see if they confirm our beliefs about W&M athletics or see them differently.
07-14-2018 04:57 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
https://www.thepictorgroup.com/

My initial impression is that our school is about to have a fire lit under it like we haven't seen since before Tom Graves.

My sense is that the two ladies running the school / Athletics Department are pro-active, and not reactive, and that a pet peeve of mine for years will finally be put to rest. Some embedded bureaucrat at the school are not going to know what hit them.

I think everything is on on the table with this five year plan, including conference affiliation, and contingency planning should Delaware/JMU depart (i.e. where do we need to be in five years when TV contracts expire, JMU/Delaware depart, etc.). Looking at the bios of the folks in the Pictor Group, I have a hard time believing that they will recommend the cutting of some Olympic sports, and the Patriot is going to be in the mix.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2018 09:50 PM by nj alum.)
07-14-2018 05:32 PM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
I’m confident with the AD. She’s smart and knows what’s up.
07-14-2018 05:51 PM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

New AD's Huge Decisions
(07-14-2018 05:51 PM)SoCal Frank Wrote:  I’m confident with the AD. She’s smart and knows what’s up.

You are correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-14-2018 08:44 PM
Tribembb2 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: W&M
(07-14-2018 05:32 PM)nj alum Wrote:  https://www.thepictorgroup.com/

My initial impression is that our school is about to have a fire lit under it like we haven't seen since before Tom Graves.

My sense is that the two ladies running the school / Athletics Department are pro-active, and not reactive, and that a pet peeve of mine for years will finally be put to rest. Some embedded bureaucrat at the school are not going to know what hit them.

I think everything is on on the table with this five year plan, including conference affiliation, and contingency planning should Delaware/JMU depart (i.e. where do we need to be in five years when TV contracts expire, JMU/Delaware depart, etc.). Looking at the bios of the folks in the Pictor Group, I have a hard time believing that they will recommend the cutting of some Olympic sports, and the Patriot is going to be in the mix.

Wonder if our coaching change for MBB was impacted by this study any?
03-27-2019 12:45 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
If it was, did the study analyze the flattened corpse of Tribe men’s hoops in the late 80’s and 90’s, and the resurrection of the program under Tony?

“Those who don’t study history are doomed to repeat it”.

Well, the fire has certainly been lit; somebody forgot to account for the prevailing winds, and the program may just have burned to the ground.

Continue to simmer ... patiently.
03-27-2019 12:58 PM
Biggjohn43 Offline
Special Teams

(03-27-2019 12:58 PM)nj alum Wrote:  If it was, did the study analyze the flattened corpse of Tribe men’s hoops in the late 80’s and 90’s, and the resurrection of the program under Tony?

Well, the fire has certainly been lit; somebody forgot to account for the prevailing winds, and the program may just have burned to the ground.

This is what you get when you allow other people to think for you!!
03-27-2019 01:16 PM
UmbrellaRiver Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Tribe
(03-27-2019 01:16 PM)Biggjohn43 Wrote:  
(03-27-2019 12:58 PM)nj alum Wrote:  If it was, did the study analyze the flattened corpse of Tribe men’s hoops in the late 80’s and 90’s, and the resurrection of the program under Tony?

Don’t you just love making a new hire, paying a full salary, and then watching her use additional funds to pay for all the research and analysis to a bunch of consultants, including the stadium consultants from Texas recently contracted to tell us all about how bad Kaplan arena is? Every time I meet / interact with one of the consultants, I’m wondering why she isn’t capable of doing any of the work herself. I guess it’s easier to spend other people’s money?
03-27-2019 01:49 PM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

Oftentimes the reason executives hire consultants is simply to have them give the same answer that the executive already concluded. It gives the executive the ability to blame problems on the consultants if things don't come out the way they proposed. Classic CYA in corporate America. I would not be shocked if she used the same consultants in her prior jobs.
03-27-2019 02:43 PM
Old tribe Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-27-2019 01:49 PM)UmbrellaRiver Wrote:  

Don’t you just love making a new hire, paying a full salary, and then watching her use additional funds to pay for all the research and analysis to a bunch of consultants, including the stadium consultants from Texas recently contracted to tell us all about how bad Kaplan arena is? Every time I meet / interact with one of the consultants, I’m wondering why she isn’t capable of doing any of the work herself. I guess it’s easier to spend other people’s money?

This is standard practice for ADs/athletic departments. Why do you think any ADs are experts on renovating/constructing stadiums?
03-27-2019 04:21 PM
UmbrellaRiver Offline
Water Engineer

(03-27-2019 04:21 PM)Old tribe Wrote:  
(03-27-2019 01:49 PM)UmbrellaRiver Wrote:  

This is standard practice for ADs/athletic departments. Why do you think any ADs are experts on renovating/constructing stadiums?

Sorry. Just to clarify. I meant the nature of the consultant’s initial understanding of the Williamsburg market, key fan base locations, preferences, demographics, and history of the school and how all of that info plays in to understanding a discussion about a basketball stadium. I agree that AD’s need to outsource stadium construction details. Personally, as a WM fan, I don’t aspire to be Kansas or Kentucky, and I don’t want money being used for people from Texas to come to Williamsburg to tell us how to be like those schools.
03-27-2019 11:54 PM
Herm61 Offline
Bench Warmer

I’ve heard it said that consultants are people that borrow your watch and tell you what time it is, I hope I am wrong.
03-28-2019 08:34 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

New AD's Huge Decisions
Herm, that’s a good analogy. It’s always good to have someone validate ideas, but you don’t want them to replace knowledge that should be on your staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-28-2019 09:13 AM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

(03-28-2019 08:34 AM)Herm61 Wrote:  I’ve heard it said that consultants are people that borrow your watch and tell you what time it is, I hope I am wrong.

As someone who is a consultant, I've heard this and in some instances I agree with it. However, I have also learned (and possibly it's valid in this case), just because someone wears a watch doesn't mean they know how to tell time.
03-28-2019 05:31 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

Ha! Two insightful and timely analogies, in the same thread.

04-cheers
03-28-2019 07:31 PM
wml33t Online
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
I didn't want to put this in the OTOD thread, so tried to find another appropriate one.

I have to say, recent actions (to be clear, my issue is more the ACTIONS than the decisions.. the lack of transparency, unwillingness to address any questions, what seems like a dismissive attitude to alum/fans/donors, etc) have me really questioning whether to give the Athletic Department money like I do every year.

I 100% will be donating on OTOD, I'm just not sure that giving to the Athletic Department gives the message that I want. If I do give, I think it's going to be followed up by a letter of concern to key parties.
04-16-2019 09:22 AM
Zorch Offline
All American

(04-16-2019 09:22 AM)wml33t Wrote:  I didn't want to put this in the OTOD thread, so tried to find another appropriate one.

I have to say, recent actions (to be clear, my issue is more the ACTIONS than the decisions.. the lack of transparency, unwillingness to address any questions, what seems like a dismissive attitude to alum/fans/donors, etc) have me really questioning whether to give the Athletic Department money like I do every year.

I 100% will be donating on OTOD, I'm just not sure that giving to the Athletic Department gives the message that I want. If I do give, I think it's going to be followed up by a letter of concern to key parties.

This ^^^^^^^

My letter of concern already alerted Rowe that I would withhold gifts to the Athletic Department for the foreseeable future. We (my wife is also an alum) will be giving to the academic side, as usual, but athletics gets nothing until I see changes ....
04-16-2019 10:49 AM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

"but athletics gets nothing until I see changes ...."

What? WE haven't had enough changes?

But seriously, I'm as upset as almost anyone about Tony"s departure. But that will not prevent me from supporting our great young women and men athletes
as I did early this morning on ODOT. They are the real story and should not be spited because we're angry about an athletic department coaching move.
04-16-2019 11:27 AM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

New AD's Huge Decisions
I get not being happy by some of Huge's moves and not being eager to give in protest. It's your money to do with as you please. But is there any result other than handicapping athletics programs manned by hard working coaches that are historically underfunded? Is the goal to withhold money in the hopes the President/BoV fires Huge? Will withholding support from Coach Fischer fix the letting go of Shaver? Whether you wanted Shaver here or let go, the goal is program improvement. Fischer and all the athletics dept have done nothing wrong and deserve support. I feel like some won't be happy unless Fischer falls on his face so they can say I told you so.
04-16-2019 11:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.