Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Post Season Idea
Bookmark and Share
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
Post Season Idea
It's pretty obvious a G5 playoff isn't a popular idea. With the best G5 playing in the Access Bowl should two bowls be set aside for the remaining four conference champions to play one another? IMO it's demeaning for our champion to play the # 5 team of another conference, esp the AAC. They should be on a rotating basis so the same conferences wouldn't play one another every year. Comments / opinions?

Sent from my XT1254 using CSNbbs mobile app
01-03-2017 12:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
RE: Post Season Idea
(01-03-2017 12:52 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  It's pretty obvious a G5 playoff isn't a popular idea. With the best G5 playing in the Access Bowl should two bowls be set aside for the remaining four conference champions to play one another? IMO it's demeaning for our champion to play the # 5 team of another conference, esp the AAC. They should be on a rotating basis so the same conferences wouldn't play one another every year. Comments / opinions?

*The #5 team of a G5 conference without a win against a team with a winning record.

The result of the game showed why its a bad idea to match the 3rd ranked G5 conference against what is likely the 2nd best G5 conference's 5th best team.

I believe what you're promoting here is still a move towards a larger split from the money. The "P5" would welcome this as it isn't a move they have to force but something the "G5" would willingly do without any sort of concession; as such, I don't see it happening.
01-03-2017 01:45 PM
GoBigRed26 Online
1st String

I Root For: stAte
(01-03-2017 12:52 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  It's pretty obvious a G5 playoff isn't a popular idea. With the best G5 playing in the Access Bowl should two bowls be set aside for the remaining four conference champions to play one another? IMO it's demeaning for our champion to play the # 5 team of another conference, esp the AAC. They should be on a rotating basis so the same conferences wouldn't play one another every year. Comments / opinions?

I like that idea, but some other conferences might take issue with it that have matchups against P6 teams. I would imagine that the AAC would rather have their champ play the 11th place ACC team than the SunBelt champs. You'd have to run that by them.
01-03-2017 01:46 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(01-03-2017 01:46 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  

I like that idea, but some other conferences might take issue with it that have matchups against P5 teams. I would imagine that the AAC would rather have their champ play the 11th place ACC team than the SunBelt champs. You'd have to run that by them.

FIFY
01-03-2017 02:02 PM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State

I like that idea, but some other conferences might take issue with it that have matchups against P6 teams. I would imagine that the AAC would rather have their champ play the 11th place ACC team than the SunBelt champs. You'd have to run that by them.

You're not buying into the P6 thing are you?
01-03-2017 05:11 PM
Advertisement

GoBigRed26 Online
1st String

(01-03-2017 05:11 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  

You're not buying into the P6 thing are you?

Typo. Fingers bigger than numbers on the screen. Apparently Siri doesn't know to autocorrect that one.
01-03-2017 09:11 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

Like Ive said before---these types of G5 champ vs G5 champ games your suggesting have been available for multiple bowl cycles---yet they havent happened. The MW and CUSA used to do something like that but they dumped it in favor of playing P5's. I think the games you suggest would get good ratings---but the conferences, the team fans, and the schools involved would all rather play a P5 when available. So why not create post season solution for the G5 champs that would allow a P5 match up most of the time.

The only suitable answer I see is the creation of 3 post season bowls jointly owned by the G5. They would provide a post season home for the 4 G5 champs not in the access bowl. Two would have Liberty Bowl level payouts for the P5 participant. The G5 participants would all get 1 million (doesn't really matter because we are basically paying ourselves as the G5 owns the bowls).

#1 G5 champ---access bowl (already exists)
#2 G5 champ vs a #3-5 P5 selection (new G5 owned bowl)
#3 G5 champ vs a #3-5 P5 selection (new G5 owned bowl)
#4 G5 champ vs #5 G5 champ (new G5 owned bowl)

Including the access bowl, at the start of each season, that gives every G5 school 4 showcase games to shoot for--75% of which mean playing against a high finisher from a power conference. Thats about the best post season we can do within the confines of the current CFP system---which has nearly a decade left to run. We could fund these bowls with some of the CFP money. Once the they are started, I see no reason why they wouldnt be self sufficient (in fact, no reason why they wouldnt spin off a profit). The earliest this could be done is 3 years from now in the next bowl cycle---so by siphoning off a little of the CFP money for each of the next 3 years we could build a "bowl fund" capable of starting these games.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 01:50 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-04-2017 01:42 PM
GoBigRed26 Online
1st String

(01-04-2017 01:42 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Like Ive said before---these types of G5 champ vs G5 champ games your suggesting have been available for multiple bowl cycles---yet they havent happened. The MW and CUSA used to do something like that but they dumped it in favor of playing P5's. I think the games you suggest would get good ratings---but the conferences, the team fans, and the schools involved would all rather play a P5 when available. So why not create post season solution for the G5 champs that would allow a P5 match up most of the time.

The only suitable answer I see is the creation of 3 post season bowls jointly owned by the G5. They would provide a post season home for the 4 G5 champs not in the access bowl. Two would have Liberty Bowl level payouts for the P5 participant. The G5 participants would all get 1 million (doesn't really matter because we are basically paying ourselves as the G5 owns the bowls).

Including the access bowl, at the start of each season, that gives every G5 school 4 showcase games to shoot for--75% of which mean playing against a high finisher from a power conference. Thats about the best post season we can do within the confines of the current CFP system---which has nearly a decade left to run. We could fund these bowls with some of the CFP money. Once the they are started, I see no reason why they wouldnt be self sufficient (in fact, no reason why they wouldnt spin off a profit). The earliest this could be done is 3 years from now in the next bowl cycle---so by siphoning off a little of the CFP money for each of the next 3 years we could build a "bowl fund" capable of starting these games.

That will probably never have a chance where a G5 would matchup with a P5 #3-5. Of the P5 vs G5 matchups this year other than the NY6 game, there was a #10 & 12 SEC and #11 ACC. The only thing close was #6 Big12 with Boise St vs Baylor. The P5's that finish 3-5 would throw a fit.
01-05-2017 09:20 AM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(01-05-2017 09:20 AM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 01:42 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

That will probably never have a chance where a G5 would matchup with a P5 #3-5. Of the P5 vs G5 matchups this year other than the NY6 game, there was a #10 & 12 SEC and #11 ACC. The only thing close was #6 Big12 with Boise St vs Baylor. The P5's that finish 3-5 would throw a fit.

I could see it working if the money's there for the P5's, and if the branding is handled well. For SEC fans, after the NY6, the Citrus and maybe the Gator, I don't know that there are any bowls that hold much weight. If, say, the New Orleans Bowl becomes known as the next best thing (where they face some Cinderella story), maybe folks could buy into it.
01-05-2017 10:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.