#ProDukes (Archived)
Bookmark and Share
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
RE: #ProDukes
(10-15-2019 03:56 PM)Anders Wrote:  
(10-15-2019 03:41 PM)JMU_Degenerate Wrote:  

Back together again just like on the Apollo’s, isn’t that funny.

I’m sure some teams in the XFL would like to reconstitute as much of that Apollo’s team as possible, that was a dominant squad. Probably every member of that team that didn’t go NFL was highly sought after for XFL rosters.
10-15-2019 04:06 PM
Find all posts by this user
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(10-15-2019 03:56 PM)Anders Wrote:  
(10-15-2019 03:41 PM)JMU_Degenerate Wrote:  

Back together again just like on the Apollo’s, isn’t that funny.

Late to the game a bit, but methinks he could run wild in this league. IMO he deserved a decent shot at the next level, diamond in the rough kinda thing!
10-15-2019 04:19 PM
lingerba Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
(10-15-2019 01:09 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  
(10-15-2019 11:10 AM)Anders Wrote:  
(10-15-2019 10:51 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  Ish Hyman went to St Louis in the XFL.

A little confused on that. I thought he was on the Bucs practice squad. Was he dropped or does this just mean St. Louis has the rights to him if he chooses to play in that league?

My guess based on where he was picked it may be that they are hoping he is cut from practice squad and signs with them. It is my understanding that if you are on an NFL roster you can't play in XFL even though it is in the spring. That was one of the issues with the league last spring as they wanted to be a more formal minor leagues for the NFL and NFL wanted nothing to do with it.

10-16-2019 07:05 AM
doubleduke2016 Offline
2nd String

I'm glad for the players that got selected but I was really surprised Vad did not get picked up. I watched him play in the Your Call league and he seemed like the clear MVP each week. And the director of player personnel from that league is now one of the guys running things for the XFL so he had to have been known. Although, it looks like every team got a "star" QB pre-draft, they were assigned to teams, so they were all drafting their backups.
10-16-2019 07:12 AM
doubleduke2016 Offline
2nd String

I just read through the bios of the QB's that got appointed instead of drafted. A few of the names I remember but many I didn't. One thing that stood out...every washed out NFL QB apparently spends times on the Eagles at some point. I didn't count but it seemed like almost all of those guys were with the eagles at one point. I wonder if a former eagles exec is running things for the XFL as well or if the eagles are just really good at finding almost NFL talent.
10-16-2019 07:18 AM
JMU_Degenerate Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUUUUKES
10-16-2019 01:39 PM
Anders Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU, Boston Col
Khalid Abdullah just got picked up by DC as well. If they get Vad as the backup to Cardale I might be a bigger Defenders fan than Redskins for the time being.
10-16-2019 01:50 PM
JMU_Degenerate Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUUUUKES
10-16-2019 02:06 PM
DoubleDogDare Online
All American

I Root For: James Madison
(10-15-2019 01:09 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  
(10-15-2019 11:10 AM)Anders Wrote:  
(10-15-2019 10:51 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  Ish Hyman went to St Louis in the XFL.

A little confused on that. I thought he was on the Bucs practice squad. Was he dropped or does this just mean St. Louis has the rights to him if he chooses to play in that league?

My guess based on where he was picked it may be that they are hoping he is cut from practice squad and signs with them. It is my understanding that if you are on an NFL roster you can't play in XFL even though it is in the spring. That was one of the issues with the league last spring as they wanted to be a more formal minor leagues for the NFL and NFL wanted nothing to do with it.

I hadn't really given thought to the logistics practice squad guys. They are dropped and resigned all the time so I'm guessing the XFL considered this with contract rights. But from a logistical standpoint, I think the regular season will be wrapped up by the time "summer" camp starts for XFL. Given that the futures contracts are signed at the end of the regular season, these practice squad guys will probably not play in the XFL.
10-16-2019 02:34 PM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(10-16-2019 02:06 PM)JMU_Degenerate Wrote:  

While all the guys are no doubt deserving (deserving more of a look from the cartels league IMO) but this is also good marketing for the DC club. Someone knows our fanbase, our local numbers, our loyalty to our own. Given the right date and time and I'd make the trip up to see these guys play again.
10-16-2019 02:52 PM
RamDawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU VCU
(10-16-2019 07:12 AM)doubleduke2016 Wrote:  I'm glad for the players that got selected but I was really surprised Vad did not get picked up. I watched him play in the Your Call league and he seemed like the clear MVP each week. And the director of player personnel from that league is now one of the guys running things for the XFL so he had to have been known. Although, it looks like every team got a "star" QB pre-draft, they were assigned to teams, so they were all drafting their backups.

Maybe it was his decision. Priorities change when you start and grow families, stability becomes important.
10-16-2019 03:08 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(10-16-2019 01:50 PM)Anders Wrote:  Khalid Abdullah just got picked up by DC as well. If they get Vad as the backup to Cardale I might be a bigger Defenders fan than Redskins for the time being.

I'm sure that had at least something to do with the Defenders picking players who played their college ball in the region, knowing that many fans of the players' former colleges are going to become Defenders fans just to watch players from their favorite college teams (alma maters in most cases) play locally.

How much better do you all think an average NFL team is than an average XFL team? I don't think it is a lot.
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2019 03:50 PM by Purple.)
10-16-2019 03:49 PM
Anders Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU, Boston Col
(10-16-2019 03:49 PM)Purple Wrote:  
(10-16-2019 01:50 PM)Anders Wrote:  Khalid Abdullah just got picked up by DC as well. If they get Vad as the backup to Cardale I might be a bigger Defenders fan than Redskins for the time being.

I'm sure that had at least something to do with the Defenders picking players who played their college ball in the region, knowing that many fans of the players' former colleges are going to become Defenders fans just to watch players from their favorite college teams (alma maters in most cases) play locally.

How much better do you all think an average NFL team is than an average XFL team? I don't think it is a lot.

Not sure if this is joking but a whole lot better. Like a lot. From the coaching to the players. 2nd string of an average NFL roster would still crush an average XFL team. I think the talent level will be pretty comparable to the AAF.
10-16-2019 04:27 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(10-16-2019 04:27 PM)Anders Wrote:  

Not sure if this is joking but a whole lot better. Like a lot. From the coaching to the players. 2nd string of an average NFL roster would still crush an average XFL team. I think the talent level will be pretty comparable to the AAF.

Yeah, that's what everyone said about the AFL compared to the NFL in the 60s.
10-16-2019 08:52 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-16-2019 08:52 PM)Purple Wrote:  

I was thinking the same thing.
10-16-2019 11:08 PM
bcp_jmu Online
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
(10-16-2019 11:08 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  

Well, the AFL did have about 10 years before any type of parity emerged....NFL 3RD string would beat xfl in year 1 id guess...sounds like a great farm league for them, thrilled for our guys!
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2019 12:33 AM by bcp_jmu.)
10-17-2019 12:27 AM
doubleduke2016 Offline
2nd String

(10-16-2019 03:08 PM)RamDawg Wrote:  
(10-16-2019 07:12 AM)doubleduke2016 Wrote:  I'm glad for the players that got selected but I was really surprised Vad did not get picked up. I watched him play in the Your Call league and he seemed like the clear MVP each week. And the director of player personnel from that league is now one of the guys running things for the XFL so he had to have been known. Although, it looks like every team got a "star" QB pre-draft, they were assigned to teams, so they were all drafting their backups.

Maybe it was his decision. Priorities change when you start and grow families, stability becomes important.

I don't think it was a choice. He allowed himself to be put in the draft and I read he had been practicing and was preparing for this opportunity. I think he just didn't have the pedigree that some of the appointed QB's had. He played in the Your Call league a few months ago and he had said he would be willing to do that again if the opportunity were right so I think he still has the dream.
10-17-2019 07:53 AM
doubleduke2016 Offline
2nd String

(10-16-2019 11:08 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  

If you consider that none of the players in the XFL would be starters or likely 2nd string in the NFL it is tough to imagine an XFL team beating a NFL. I think a few players could be 3rd string and with some experience move up into a 2nd string or starting role but the big question is how much of a difference is there between a 2nd string NFL guy and a practice squad guy (which is what a lot of XFL players are)? Is the NFL guy a 8.5 and the XFL guy a 8.3 or are they 8.5 and 5.0 (made up numbers that mean nothing) I would guess the biggest difference between NFL and XFL will be the measurable difference between the stars but I would guess the difference between the middle of the pack is not too far off.
10-17-2019 08:00 AM
JMU08 Offline
1st String

The AFL stole talent away from the NFL, until another league can do that, I don't think there's much of a comparison.
10-17-2019 08:23 AM
JMaddy Offline
All American

There were only 25 teams combined between the AFL and NFL. Talent is much more diluted now, with 32 NFL teams, if you add the 8 XFL teams that puts you at 40. Plus the Canucks draw more former NCAA talent that they did back then as well. A lot of guys where are starters today would have only been a second stringer in the 1950s/1960s AFL/NFL set up.
10-17-2019 08:53 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.