Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
#ProDukes (Archived)
Bookmark and Share
DBJMU2006 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
RE: Pro Dukes
These are signings and not rookie camp invites right? If so that gives them a good chance to make a practice squad.
04-28-2018 07:13 PM
Find all posts by this user
Bisonlurker Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NDSU
Ankrah (sp?) got a rookie camp invite with Titans also. Deluca from NDSU has UDFA signing with them also. Seems Titans know there's lots of talent in FCS.
04-28-2018 08:59 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
Pro Dukes
Aaron Stinnie UDFA Titans
Raven Greene UDFA Packers
Andrew Ankrah RMC Titans
Jordan Brown RMC Ravens, Titans
Bryan Schor RMC Bears
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2018 11:26 AM by Potomac.)
04-29-2018 05:51 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Pro Dukes
How many games do we need to win in so many years before nfl scouts start to respect our program enough to draft a player?
Yes, I’ve learned it has nothing to do about winning, at least not outside of the P5. You’re supposed to stand out from your team as a clear as day huge contributor compared to everyone else on the roster. When teams are talented all over the field, one player doesn’t stand out.

FWIW this year, ndsu didn’t have a single drafted player this year, which is frankly a bit shocking. The touted Nick Deluca “only” got an UDFA.
04-29-2018 05:55 AM
Bisonlurker Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NDSU
Mediocre combine results and injuries killed his chance. IMO he hasn't looked the same since his knee injury
04-29-2018 10:21 AM
Smokey 1 Offline
2nd String

(04-29-2018 05:51 AM)Potomac Wrote:  Aaron Stinnie UDFA Titans
Andrew Ankrah RMC Titans
Jordan Brown RMC Ravens
Bryan Schor RMC Bears

What does "RMC" stand for?
04-29-2018 10:58 AM
s2dsayer Offline
All American

I Root For: Duuuuukes
(04-29-2018 10:58 AM)Smokey 1 Wrote:  
(04-29-2018 05:51 AM)Potomac Wrote:  Aaron Stinnie UDFA Titans
Andrew Ankrah RMC Titans
Jordan Brown RMC Ravens
Bryan Schor RMC Bears

What does "RMC" stand for?

I think it's Rookie Mini Camp. Basically a tryout and not a "signing" like UDFA

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/...e_age.html
04-29-2018 11:22 AM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

For the guys who got invites to rookie mini camps, I'm just not sure what you can do in those to really open any eyes, especially for the linemen.

I find it head scratching that nobody would take Aaron Stinnie. The guy is a beast and has only played a few years at his position, meaning theoretically he should only continue to improve. I mean the Eagles spent a pick on a friggin rugby player who has never played American football. That's insulting IMO. Aaron is only 309 which is the only obvious limitation I see with him. It's kind of crazy to think that a 6'5" 309lb man is considered undersized, but by NFL standards it is a little on the smallish side for a tackle. That said, I'd take Stinnie as a backup over a lot of NFL tackles I've seen.
04-29-2018 11:43 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-29-2018 11:43 AM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  For the guys who got invites to rookie mini camps, I'm just not sure what you can do in those to really open any eyes, especially for the linemen.

I find it head scratching that nobody would take Aaron Stinnie. The guy is a beast and has only played a few years at his position, meaning theoretically he should only continue to improve. I mean the Eagles spent a pick on a friggin rugby player who has never played American football. That's insulting IMO. Aaron is only 309 which is the only obvious limitation I see with him. It's kind of crazy to think that a 6'5" 309lb man is considered undersized, but by NFL standards it is a little on the smallish side for a tackle. That said, I'd take Stinnie as a backup over a lot of NFL tackles I've seen.

I think Stinnie will need to show his versatility and exhibit his abilities to get looks at Guard.
04-29-2018 12:27 PM
Yesolitis Offline
Special Teams

Agree with Wear Purple that Stinnie will have to display enough at Guard in addition to OT to make a roster or even PS.

I wonder if Erron Kinney, long-time TE for the Titans with his nephew John Kinney at JMU, still knows those in the Titans organization and advocated for these guys?
04-30-2018 12:23 AM
Yesolitis Offline
Special Teams

I saw Briscoe is a UDFA at Philly. Not surprising...

I was hoping to see Schor get picked up by a team, but he's got at least the opportunity to display some skills with the Bears before it's all said and done.

Also, as a Skins fan, I was hoping to see Stinnie get picked up given the needs at left guard. I figured he might have a real chance to make the roster in Washington. EDIT: Getting Timon Parris from Stony Brook is a solid consolation prize. I could see him making the Practice Squad and developing into a roster worthy player sooner than later. His broken fibula and bad combine workout related to it caused his stock to fall; he would have been a likely 5th round pick.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2018 01:27 AM by Yesolitis.)
04-30-2018 12:26 AM
JMU_Degenerate Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUUUUKES
https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-ste...-117158724

Arthur Moats enrolls at NFL Broadcasting Bootcamp

(he has also reportedly been in communications with the Steelers who added no linebacker depth in the draft this year)
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/04/buy...-lb-depth/
04-30-2018 08:55 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Good for Arthur to start setting up his life after the NFL. Even if 2017 was his final year, that's what a 7 year career? That's longer than most players get to play, if they even make it on a regular season roster.

I'm excited to know he could be a broadcasting partner. I may have to watch games he's in if he ends up going that route.
04-30-2018 11:29 AM
2Buck Offline
All American

(04-29-2018 11:43 AM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  For the guys who got invites to rookie mini camps, I'm just not sure what you can do in those to really open any eyes, especially for the linemen.

For guys from small programs these rookie camps are the ideal (and only) chance to show what they can do. Many of them haven't been seen by these coaching staffs other than on limited film (and usually against what they'd perceive as lesser competition). Some haven't been made an offer because the coaches just haven't seen enough of them.

If they can get in there and prove themselves "a man among boys" they've got a much better chance of making it, even if it may initially be as fodder for the beginning of summer camp. Daniel Brown comes to mind as the most recent JMU example of raising your game as the camps progress.
05-01-2018 01:32 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Kinda hard to evaluate everyone at a rookie-centric OTA with a handful of draft picks + another dozen or so UDFA's. A lot of tryout types are there to 1) yes, get a look but 2) fill out the field for 7-on-7's and for some drills to evaluate not only the tryout invitees but the other guys. i.e., the draft picks and UDFA's need somebody to go up against.

FWIW, the Redskins invited 37 guys as tryout invitees last May. 1 of the 37 made it to the team roster (Manasseh Garner, TE, Pitt). So, while it isn't many, it still shows it can be done via that route.

Of course, the best way to get noticed by the coaching staff is to bust into their position coach's office, point at the picture of his wife or Mom on his desk and shout "HEY, WHO'S THE FOX?"

Just sayin'.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2018 01:52 PM by Wear Purple.)
05-01-2018 01:51 PM
DoubleDogDare Offline
All American

WP - Agreed and I'll add that Garner was also on the practice squad for a few months before making the gameday roster and had also already bounced around the league for a couple years.

Looking across the NFL, I'd say the out of school tryout player that makes the week 1 gameday roster is less than .1%. The realistic/incremental goals for try-out players are to get the 1 or 2 invites to future OTAs. At that point, the goal becomes to survive (stay healthy) to the start of camp. Then you can finally get some pads on.
Make camp and you got a shot but it is very tough to show coaches your stuff in minicamps when contact isn't allowed.
05-01-2018 03:35 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Rashad Robinson ranked high for likely 2019 NFL Draft... https://herosports.com/nfl-draft/footbal...-2018-ajaj

(If he has a good year, I think Marcus Marshall will get drafted as well)
05-02-2018 06:33 AM
JMUTrippster Offline
Special Teams

(05-01-2018 01:32 PM)2Buck Wrote:  

For guys from small programs these rookie camps are the ideal (and only) chance to show what they can do. Many of them haven't been seen by these coaching staffs other than on limited film (and usually against what they'd perceive as lesser competition). Some haven't been made an offer because the coaches just haven't seen enough of them.

If they can get in there and prove themselves "a man among boys" they've got a much better chance of making it, even if it may initially be as fodder for the beginning of summer camp. Daniel Brown comes to mind as the most recent JMU example of raising your game as the camps progress.

I was reminded this morning listing to the JMU Sportsblog podcast that Rashard Davis was a rookie camp invitee who won a Super Bowl ring this year with Eagles. I know DB has been a bit more entrenched in the league but that's pretty awesome.
05-02-2018 08:24 AM
JMUTrippster Offline
Special Teams

Did not see this mentioned previously but Simeyon Robinson got a late RMC invite from the Bengals - https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/ben...n-robinson
05-02-2018 11:34 AM
JMU_Degenerate Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUUUUKES
(05-02-2018 11:34 AM)JMUTrippster Wrote:  Did not see this mentioned previously but Simeyon Robinson got a late RMC invite from the Bengals - https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/ben...n-robinson

I didnt post it directly, but I did update post 1 with these details.
05-02-2018 01:11 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.