Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
#ProDukes (Archived)
Bookmark and Share
PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
RE: Pro Dukes
Not really sure where to put this, but former backup QB and holder Blaine Stewart (Bill Stewart's kid from WV) was signed as a coaching assistant with the Steelers today. Pretty sure he'd been helping out with a low-level college program and I think there's a Tomlin/Stewart connection (pretty sure Tomlin's first coaching gig was given to him by his pops), but that's still pretty cool and it was nice to see lots of former JMU players giving him love. Plus, with Flip's success, it's obviously possible to make something of an opportunity.
02-06-2018 10:35 PM
Find all posts by this user
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Right now, of the 18 combine invitees listed above, 13 are projected draft picks by NFL draft scout, + 3 more borderline. Only 2 that weren't were the Southern and Murray state invitees.
GOEDERT, DALLAS, SDSU, TE (6'5"/260)- 2nd rd
PARKER, BRANDON, NC A&T, OT (6'7"/303)- 3rd rd
LEONARD, DARIUS, SC State, OLB (6'2"/229)- 3rd/4th rd
DELUCA, NICK, NDSU, ILB (6'3"/243)- 4th rd
LAULETTA, KYLE, RU, QB (6'3"/217)- 5th rd
NEAL, SIRAN, JSU SS (6'0"/206)-4th/5th rd
WIENEKE, JAKE, SDSU, WR, (6'4"/218)- 5th/6th rd
DEMBY, JAMIL, MAINE, OG (6'5"/323) - 6th rd
JACKSON, DARIUS, JSU, OLB (6'2'/233) (Won Buchanan award)- 6th round.
THOMAS, ROC, JSU, RB (5'10"/193)- 6th round
JOHNSON, TARON, WEBER ST, DB (5'11"/189)- 6th rd
NICHOLS, BILAL, UD, DT (6'3"/301)- 6th/7th rd
PARRIS, TIMON, SBU, OG (6'5"/310)- 6th/7th rd (Didn't play vs JMU- injured/out for season late Oct).
HARRIS, DAVONTAE, ILSU, DB- 7th/FA
FRANKLIN-MYERS, JOHN, SFA, DE (6'3"/280)- 7th/FA
SENAT, GREG, WAGNER, OT (6'6"/294) 7th/FA
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 10:41 PM by BDKJMU.)
02-06-2018 10:40 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

Ankrah and Stinnie both must have come close to being invited.
NFL Draft Scout has Ankrah ranked 22 of 163 DEs, & projected 7th rd/FA, with rising stock.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsp...genpos=OLB
They have Stinnie as 29 of 115 OTs, projected FA, with rising stock.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsp...&genpos=OT

I imagine with 326 invites they would have invited around 25-30 OTs & DE..
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 11:05 PM by BDKJMU.)
02-06-2018 11:02 PM
JMU83 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
(02-06-2018 10:35 PM)PurpleStreamers Wrote:  Not really sure where to put this, but former backup QB and holder Blaine Stewart (Bill Stewart's kid from WV) was signed as a coaching assistant with the Steelers today. Pretty sure he'd been helping out with a low-level college program and I think there's a Tomlin/Stewart connection (pretty sure Tomlin's first coaching gig was given to him by his pops), but that's still pretty cool and it was nice to see lots of former JMU players giving him love. Plus, with Flip's success, it's obviously possible to make something of an opportunity.

There was a piece about the close connection done by the NFL. It showed how Tomlin reconnected with Blaine after Bill Stewart passed.
Does anyone remember when Blaine did the "heads up" play when he was a holder at JMU? I think it was something about JMU going for a field goal on third down and Blaine was the holder. Bad snap. Blaine did not try to run the ball but drilled a player in the back for an incomplete pass so the clock stopped. I believe we then kicked the FG.
Please correct me if any details are wrong or made up.
02-07-2018 07:50 AM
jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
(02-07-2018 07:50 AM)JMU83 Wrote:  
(02-06-2018 10:35 PM)PurpleStreamers Wrote:  Not really sure where to put this, but former backup QB and holder Blaine Stewart (Bill Stewart's kid from WV) was signed as a coaching assistant with the Steelers today. Pretty sure he'd been helping out with a low-level college program and I think there's a Tomlin/Stewart connection (pretty sure Tomlin's first coaching gig was given to him by his pops), but that's still pretty cool and it was nice to see lots of former JMU players giving him love. Plus, with Flip's success, it's obviously possible to make something of an opportunity.

There was a piece about the close connection done by the NFL. It showed how Tomlin reconnected with Blaine after Bill Stewart passed.
Does anyone remember when Blaine did the "heads up" play when he was a holder at JMU? I think it was something about JMU going for a field goal on third down and Blaine was the holder. Bad snap. Blaine did not try to run the ball but drilled a player in the back for an incomplete pass so the clock stopped. I believe we then kicked the FG.

You got it. It was at Albany, Withers first year in 2014. On 2nd down with 10 seconds left in the game we went for the FG, snap was a bit low and bobbled by Blaine, who immediately stood up and threw it at the feet of the outside blocker on the right side of the LOS, an eligible receiver. The officials waved their hands to stop the clock because of the incompletion. We then proceeded to kick the game winner with 5 seconds on the clock. After the game I talked with Blaine who was definitely the hero in that win, truly an impressive play from a very impressive kid who is instantly likeable. Met his mom at the same time, just a very nice family and very easy to root for.
02-07-2018 08:39 AM
JMU_Degenerate Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUUUUKES

Roster Move: #Eagles have signed free agents: WR Rashard Davis, G Darrell Greene, CB D.J. Killings, S Tre Sullivan, WR Bryce Treggs, WR Greg Ward
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018 06:33 PM by JMU_Degenerate.)
02-07-2018 06:32 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-07-2018 06:32 PM)JMU_Degenerate Wrote:  

Great news. Thanks for posting that.
02-07-2018 06:33 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(02-07-2018 08:39 AM)jmuroadwarrior Wrote:  
(02-07-2018 07:50 AM)JMU83 Wrote:  

You got it. It was at Albany, Withers first year in 2014. On 2nd down with 10 seconds left in the game we went for the FG, snap was a bit low and bobbled by Blaine, who immediately stood up and threw it at the feet of the outside blocker on the right side of the LOS, an eligible receiver. The officials waved their hands to stop the clock because of the incompletion. We then proceeded to kick the game winner with 5 seconds on the clock. After the game I talked with Blaine who was definitely the hero in that win, truly an impressive play from a very impressive kid who is instantly likeable. Met his mom at the same time, just a very nice family and very easy to root for.
Came into that game 2-3/0-2 in the CAA. I remember the week prior a lot of people had gone off on Wither’s on here due to what happed in he loss to a not very good UD team in OT. I also remember that was the 1st year with the new ejection rule if you get called for targeting. I was at the Albany game. Marlowe got ejected for targeting in the 1st Qtr I think. It was one of several (3?) games that season where Marlowe got ejected for targeting. As I recall at the game we all thought it was a BS call from the jumbo tron replay, but there was no replay for the officials. Anyway it was tied at 28 when JMU was going for the winning FG. Here’s a scary ‘what if’. If Blaine hadn’t made that heads up play, then it goes to OT. Then who knows what happens. Albany wasn’t that good, but they had just gone on a 11 play, 71 TD drive to score with under a minute left. Wither’s underachieving, poorly coached, charmin soft, swiss cheese JMU defense, without Marlowe, couldn’t stop them. If JMU had lost, then would have been 2-4/0-3 in the CAA & likely no playoffs. Then maybe Withers doesn’t get the Tex St job. Then maybe no Houston in 2016...
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018 07:06 PM by BDKJMU.)
02-07-2018 07:06 PM
JMU_Degenerate Offline
1st String

A few edits to Post 1. TY with the LV aces this year in wnba.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2018 08:31 PM by JMU_Degenerate.)
02-08-2018 08:31 PM
JMU_Degenerate Offline
1st String

Some chatter in Pittsburgh that Arthur Moats might be back for next year but at a reduced salary since he will just be a backup or special teams player on paper.
02-08-2018 08:32 PM
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

My wife just saw a tweet from Kirby saying she just had ACL surgery. Anyone else see that?

Bummer to say the least.

Brian
02-17-2018 05:21 PM
jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
(02-17-2018 05:21 PM)ParentofJMUMRDs Wrote:  My wife just saw a tweet from Kirby saying she just had ACL surgery. Anyone else see that?

Bummer to say the least.

Brian

From her Twitter yesterday: First week post Acl surgery is done , thank God. Seriously ready to get through week two now
02-18-2018 07:56 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Madia reports JMU Pro Day (for NFL scouts to be on campus) is scheduled for March 16. Considering guys like Stinnie and Ankrah were completely left out (a bit surprising) of the post-season all-star games and NFL Combine, this is an important day to say the least for these guys' futures.
02-20-2018 09:09 AM
JMU_Degenerate Offline
1st String

@PhilaUnion
CJ is here to stay.
We've just signed @BigAfrika88 to a new multi-year contract:
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018 01:26 PM by JMU_Degenerate.)
03-14-2018 01:24 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Thanks for posting that and congrats to C.J. Well earned and deserved.

Side note, the Chicago Bears are signing backup TE Trey Burton (from Philly) to a big contract. This stymies Daniel Brown's chances of a starting role in Chi-Town, but he still has a chance (I assume) at making the roster. Most NFL teams keep at least 3 TE's on roster - perhaps as many as 4 or the rare case of 5 if that TE can be a big contributor in special teams.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018 01:28 PM by Wear Purple.)
03-14-2018 01:28 PM
JMU_Degenerate Offline
1st String

(03-14-2018 01:28 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Thanks for posting that and congrats to C.J. Well earned and deserved.

Side note, the Chicago Bears are signing backup TE Trey Burton (from Philly) to a big contract. This stymies Daniel Brown's chances of a starting role in Chi-Town, but he still has a chance (I assume) at making the roster. Most NFL teams keep at least 3 TE's on roster - perhaps as many as 4 or the rare case of 5 if that TE can be a big contributor in special teams.

I updated post 1. DB is not expected to be tendered a 2018 offer in Chicago and will be a Free Agent.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018 01:41 PM by JMU_Degenerate.)
03-14-2018 01:41 PM
JMU_Degenerate Offline
1st String

(03-14-2018 01:41 PM)JMU_Degenerate Wrote:  
(03-14-2018 01:28 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Thanks for posting that and congrats to C.J. Well earned and deserved.

I updated post 1. DB is not expected to be tendered a 2018 offer in Chicago and will be a Free Agent.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2018/3...gency-2018
03-14-2018 01:42 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully, he can catch on with another club.
03-14-2018 02:13 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I believe today is (Football-NFL) Pro Day at JMU. Big day for guys like Ankrah and Stinnie in particular. Good luck to 'em all. Those guys could make a lot of money today.
03-16-2018 06:14 AM
JMU_Degenerate Offline
1st String

(03-14-2018 02:13 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully, he can catch on with another club.

He is back in chicago.

http://m.chicagobears.com/news/article-r...bc45ad3007
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2018 02:35 PM by JMU_Degenerate.)
03-16-2018 01:23 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.