Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Drexel to host 2018 CAA Womens Basketball Championship.
Bookmark and Share
J.B. Offline

I Root For: Drexel
Drexel to host 2018 CAA Womens Basketball Championship.
JMU will host the tournament in 2017 and Delaware in 2019.

This is a big deal because it will almost force Drexel's hand to make more improvements to the DAC in the next 2 years. While there MAY be enough seating to host women's tournament games, the current layout is still unacceptable. They will need new bathrooms on the floor level, they will need to replace the existing 1970's lighting. And most importantly, they'll need to replace the scoreboards, and hopefully get some video boards. Drexel may be the only DI arena where they do not provide ANY on board statistics other than the score, time, and team fouls.

Hopefully this will really push things along with this ongoing DAC renovation.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2016 12:34 PM by J.B..)
01-29-2016 12:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

RE: Drexel to host 2018 CAA Womens Basketball Championship.
I wouldn't get your hopes up. With it being the women's tournament, I have a hard time seeing them doing much of anything. It probably seats enough for the conference tournament (had 1500 for the Hofstra/JMU final last year) so they are happy with that. I just dont see this as being the kick in the pants needed, hope im wrong though.
01-29-2016 12:40 PM
Advertisement

J.B. Offline

(01-29-2016 12:40 PM)dan10 Wrote:  I wouldn't get your hopes up. With it being the women's tournament, I have a hard time seeing them doing much of anything. It probably seats enough for the conference tournament (had 1500 for the Hofstra/JMU final last year) so they are happy with that. I just dont see this as being the kick in the pants needed, hope im wrong though.

But the CAA didn't have to accept Drexel's bid. And this tournament does bring in several hundred to a few thousand fans. Teams like UD and JMU have rather large WBB fan bases who will travel to the tournament. I think it's important for the CAA to put on a good show for their tournament and wouldn't allow it to take place in a half-ass high school gym, after having it in much nicer arenas for so many years. I would have to guess that accepting Drexel's bid is contingent on more upgrades and improvements. They've come a long way with the place in the last 5 years, but they still have a lot more to do.
01-29-2016 12:47 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I think it has more to do with Drexel has been one of the top teams in the last decade so the conference is ok with them hosting some even if the arena is inadequate.
01-29-2016 01:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.