Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hofstra
Bookmark and Share
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
Hofstra
This has been a decent rivalry for some time. This is a team that we usually can write down a split with, however if last year was any indication, we could be in some serious trouble. Hofstra plays no defense but scores at a high rate. Last year they won 86-58 and 81-57. Hofstra returned most of their scoring threats from that team. We are the lowest scoring team in the conference. Just by team averages the score would be 81-65 and that honestly feels close to right.

We have seen some drastic improvement over the past couple of games, however in a fast paced game like Hofstra wants to play I am not sure those gains will truly show here. Our defense will be the key here. If we dont slow the game down and play great defense and limit offensive chances we could be in for a long game. The real focus should be on our help defense, if we get caught out of position like we have much of this season, game over. On offense we need to continue the trend of utilizing our bigs but we will also need some shooting help from the Allens.

DU: 70
HU: 84
01-13-2016 07:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

RE: Hofstra
Line was Hofstra at 10.5 and that has moved to 11 points.
01-14-2016 02:34 PM
Water Boy Offline
2nd String

Decent effort against a good team but it seems like Drexel is always just a bit short. Nice to see some production from Kaz and Mo - we just need that when Rodney is on as well. In a game like that though the guards have got to get to the hoop. Hofstra basically plays 7 players, you've got to get more than 6 free throws against a team like that.

Props to Juan'ya Green - he knows how to get it done at the end of a game.

Has anyone heard anything on Fields' status? Is there hope he'll eventually play?
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2016 11:38 PM by Water Boy.)
01-14-2016 09:39 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Another good second half when compared to the first half. That is becoming almost regular now, now only if we could put ourselves in a position at halftime where our second half surges can get us wins. Very surprised we kept it this close especially with Rodney getting all of 8 minutes due to foul trouble. Terrell had an all around great performance, in front of his dad, who is 11th on the all time scoring list in Hofstra history
01-15-2016 07:21 AM
Advertisement

J.B. Online

Game was lost in the first 4 minutes of the game when they missed shot after shot after easy shot. Had they made a few of those shots early, Drexel could have taken an early lead and controlled the pace of the game, instead of always trying to play catch up. Nice 2nd half comeback, but they can't keep putting themselves in those situations.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2016 08:10 AM by J.B..)
01-15-2016 08:09 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

We are up 30-24 at half. Hofstra is very out of whack right now, so it would be nice to be up by more than 6 wince their 3's will eventually fall (0-11 in the first half).
01-30-2016 04:56 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
(01-30-2016 04:56 PM)dan10 Wrote:  We are up 30-24 at half. Hofstra is very out of whack right now, so it would be nice to be up by more than 6 wince their 3's will eventually fall (0-11 in the first half).
The 0-11 was actually 0-12. Hofstra was down 13 with under 13 minutes left before going on a 17-3 run to take their first lead at 51-50. Hofstra won 70-64. Drexel led for 30:15, which is over five times as long as Hofstra led for. http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400833329 is the Associated Press recap titled "Tanksley, Green lead Hofstra past Drexel 70-64." It has two mistakes, one about when Hofstra took their first lead, and one about Tavon Allen's previous career-high. Tavon Allen scored 33, which was more than Hofstra's two leading scorers combined. Green and Tanksley led Hofstra with 15 points each. Drexel players other than Tavon Allen made exactly 24 percent of their field goals (12-50). Drexel had a 16/5 = 3.2 assist/turnover ratio, which was the best by a team in a loss to Hofstra since at least 2005-2006, which is as far back as I have statistics for.

Edit: Hofstra was favored by 7, so Drexel won against the spread.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2016 07:28 PM by EvanJ.)
01-30-2016 07:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

J.B. Online

Hoftra made just one basket (a dunk) in the final 5:44 of the game, but still managed to pull away, by shooting 12-15 from the FT line in that timeframe. Drexel's foul trouble in the 2nd half totally did them in, but give Hofstra credit for taking advantage. Tavon had a monster day, scoring a career high 33.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2016 08:30 AM by J.B..)
01-30-2016 08:15 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I tuned out at halftime, mostly because I didnt want to ruin a perfectly good Saturday. I was glad to tune out on a good note, fully expecting us to not hold the lead. Too bad I wasnt disappointed and we did just that. Based on UDel's game today against Towson, hopefully we can get a split with them.
01-30-2016 08:29 PM
bdragon Offline
Bench Warmer

Finally rejoining the active online crew. Took me a while to find these boards after the zone went down.

Disappointing game on so many levels. Most of all though through the 2nd half, the Hofstra crowd took over, barely seemed like a home game for DU. Sad to see the DAC Pak dwindle to a couple dozen students. (Not blaming the students - hard to get motivated to see this product.) Blowing this kind of lead at home. Total inability to adjust in the second half when Hofstra's defense tightened up. Watching the final 10 minutes of this game, as I did, you'd never believe Drexel had a double digit lead.
01-31-2016 12:46 AM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

Welcome bdragon. It has been that way all year. We have had several double digit leads and they disappear so quickly we forget so quickly that we ever had those leads. Very frustrating. Sadly we have been on the downward trend ever since that huge collapse in the NIT semi finals against UMass. At this point I dont even know what our strategy can possibly be to win a game since it seems no matter what we do it is not enough.
01-31-2016 08:33 AM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
(01-31-2016 08:33 AM)dan10 Wrote:  Sadly we have been on the downward trend ever since that huge collapse in the NIT semi finals against UMass.
When was the UMass game?
I'm a Hofstra fan, and if Drexel's lead had gotten up to 15 or 16, I might have given up and stopped listening. Hofstra will need to play better than that to beat UNCW.
01-31-2016 11:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dan10 Offline
Heisman

(01-31-2016 11:19 AM)EvanJ Wrote:  
(01-31-2016 08:33 AM)dan10 Wrote:  Sadly we have been on the downward trend ever since that huge collapse in the NIT semi finals against UMass.
When was the UMass game?
I'm a Hofstra fan, and if Drexel's lead had gotten up to 15 or 16, I might have given up and stopped listening. Hofstra will need to play better than that to beat UNCW.
'11-'12. The best team Drexel has ever had, especially under Bruiser. Had a 17 point lead with 15 minutes to go and lost, at home, where a win was sending them to the semi finals at MSG. Since that game, seemingly, we cannot hold a lead to save our lives.
01-31-2016 11:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.