Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

PREVIEW: Game 25 W&M vs Delaware
Bookmark and Share
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: PREVIEW: Game 25 W&M vs Delaware
(02-15-2015 04:09 PM)62Indian Wrote:  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Time Out allows both teams to take a breather and to set-up the next play - it doesn't always work to the advantage of the team that calls the Time Out.

That tells me Tony lacks confidence in himself. If he doesn't think he can outcoach Monte ******* Ross what will happen when we face a good coach?
02-15-2015 05:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TribeTrack Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: W&M
You guys whine a lot.

I care more about what Tony does in practice than whether he uses all his timeouts. Our offense has been high octane all year - it wasn't during the first half. Timeouts did not lose us the game - execution did. It's a 50/50 call to use a timeout there just like its a coaches preference to foul or not to foul when up three at the end of a game.
02-15-2015 05:53 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(02-15-2015 05:53 PM)TribeTrack Wrote:  You guys whine a lot.

Yeah well track is a stupid sport
02-15-2015 06:09 PM
WMtribe17 Offline
All American

(02-15-2015 04:09 PM)62Indian Wrote:  
(02-15-2015 03:11 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  WHY do you guys think Tony doesn't use his timeouts? Does he get too caught up in the excitement? It just doesn't make any sense to me. It's a glaring weakness in his coaching

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Time Out allows both teams to take a breather and to set-up the next play - it doesn't always work to the advantage of the team that calls the Time Out.

Yeah, but when you have Marcus playing 38 minutes a game + having to bring the ball down the court like 80% of the time and try + having to find the open space against double teams often, an extra breather would benefit him more than the other team. Delaware has a relatively deep team and is able to give their best players (Holden and Anderson) 6-8 minutes time to rest. Marcus has no replacement and with Dixon out, our bench is much slimmer.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2015 06:43 PM by WMtribe17.)
02-15-2015 06:42 PM
Tribal Offline

Re: RE: PREVIEW: Game 25 W&M vs Delaware
(02-15-2015 04:02 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  If you took our responses the day of and the day after a loss, you would think we are in last place in the league. Then, after we beat Northeastern on the road, we will see posts indicating who our projected ncaa opponent is. Lots of overreacting, but we can all agree we do not want to see Delaware again until football season. We need to hope they are on the opposite side of the draw from us.

Preach!

We've all sat through years--if not decades--of bad basketball and we finally show promise and some of you act like we canceled Christmas.

+ Tied for #1 with a handful of games remaining.

+ We already beat everyone left on our schedule.

+ We own the tie-breaker with UNCW.

+ There is only one team in the CAA that owns us and the likelihood of seeing them in Baltimore is low.

Great day in the mornin' this is a fragile fanbase.
02-15-2015 08:03 PM
TribeTrack Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-15-2015 06:09 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(02-15-2015 05:53 PM)TribeTrack Wrote:  You guys whine a lot.

Yeah well track is a stupid sport

Only sport we've won in consistently for the last thirty years, but yeah, it's stupid. Tell that to the Olympians your alma mater produced.
02-15-2015 09:43 PM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

(02-15-2015 06:42 PM)WMtribe17 Wrote:  
(02-15-2015 03:11 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  WHY do you guys think Tony doesn't use his timeouts? Does he get too caught up in the excitement? It just doesn't make any sense to me. It's a glaring weakness in his coaching

Yeah, but when you have Marcus playing 38 minutes a game + having to bring the ball down the court like 80% of the time and try + having to find the open space against double teams often, an extra breather would benefit him more than the other team. Delaware has a relatively deep team and is able to give their best players (Holden and Anderson) 6-8 minutes time to rest. Marcus has no replacement and with Dixon out, our bench is much slimmer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
FYI, Holden played 39 minutes in this game and Anderson played 37 minutes - it is hard to believe that a W&M fan could be so ignorent of the facts.

As to Marcus "bringing the ball down court 80% of the time" - that is how he likes it - that is how he creates his shots
02-15-2015 10:17 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(02-15-2015 10:17 PM)62Indian Wrote:  As to Marcus "bringing the ball down court 80% of the time" - that is how he likes it - that is how he creates his shots

Is this true? Has Marcus said that's his preference? Because I've always thought the opposite. He's more successful playing off ball with other players setting screens for him. But of that's the way he likes it then it makes sense that we run so many sets with him at point even when Ollie and Mike are in the game.
02-15-2015 10:22 PM
WMtribe17 Offline
All American

(02-15-2015 10:17 PM)62Indian Wrote:  

FYI, Holden played 39 minutes in this game and Anderson played 37 minutes - it is hard to believe that a W&M fan could be so ignorent of the facts.

As to Marcus "bringing the ball down court 80% of the time" - that is how he likes it - that is how he creates his shots

... The 6 to 8 minutes is an average. You know, sometimes they play longer than 32-34 minutes, sometimes they play less.That is usually how averages work. Granted, with how well both Holden and Anderson played, I probably wouldn't want them off the court either. But who knows, I am apparently ignorant and don't know anything.

I was just making the argument that if Shaver isn't going to use his timeouts at the end of the game, he might as well use them earlier. For example, to give his players a break, try to slow down an opponents momentum, change the gameplan, talk about defensive adjustments (god knows they can always make adjustments on defense), etc. If Tony doesn't think he needs to use the timeouts, then he has more faith than I do in the players always knowing what they need to do on both ends of the court.
02-16-2015 12:31 AM
Paulbintheburg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tribe
(02-15-2015 08:03 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(02-15-2015 04:02 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  If you took our responses the day of and the day after a loss, you would think we are in last place in the league. Then, after we beat Northeastern on the road, we will see posts indicating who our projected ncaa opponent is. Lots of overreacting, but we can all agree we do not want to see Delaware again until football season. We need to hope they are on the opposite side of the draw from us.

Preach!

We've all sat through years--if not decades--of bad basketball and we finally show promise and some of you act like we canceled Christmas.

+ Tied for #1 with a handful of games remaining.

+ We already beat everyone left on our schedule.

+ We own the tie-breaker with UNCW.

+ There is only one team in the CAA that owns us and the likelihood of seeing them in Baltimore is low.

Great day in the mornin' this is a fragile fanbase.

If this fanbase were defending the Alamo, most of Texas and the SW US would be speaking Mexican!

uh...oh, wait a minute.
02-16-2015 07:43 AM
wanm65 Offline
Special Teams

If this fanbase were defending the Alamo, most of Texas and the SW US would be speaking Mexican!

uh...oh, wait a minute.
[/quote]

03-banghead04-chairshot
02-16-2015 08:37 AM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

(02-16-2015 12:31 AM)WMtribe17 Wrote:  
(02-15-2015 10:17 PM)62Indian Wrote:  

... The 6 to 8 minutes is an average. You know, sometimes they play longer than 32-34 minutes, sometimes they play less.That is usually how averages work. Granted, with how well both Holden and Anderson played, I probably wouldn't want them off the court either. But who knows, I am apparently ignorant and don't know anything.

I was just making the argument that if Shaver isn't going to use his timeouts at the end of the game, he might as well use them earlier. For example, to give his players a break, try to slow down an opponents momentum, change the gameplan, talk about defensive adjustments (god knows they can always make adjustments on defense), etc. If Tony doesn't think he needs to use the timeouts, then he has more faith than I do in the players always knowing what they need to do on both ends of the court.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
17, I assume you are fully immersed in W&Ms new "Core Curriculum" which is supposed to teach "critical thinking" heretofor absent in a W&M education. By your logic, taking all of the alloted time-outs in the first five minutes of each half would be a brilliant use of time-outs. Thus insuring Marcus is fully rested for the rest of the game!!!

Coach Shaver, who has more experience calling time-outs than everybody on this board put together, does call timeouts for all the reasons you cite above. However, it should be obvious that any coach will conserve timeouts so that they are available towards the end of the game when they might be necessary/more valuable.
02-16-2015 10:34 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(02-16-2015 10:34 AM)62Indian Wrote:  However, it should be obvious that any coach will conserve timeouts so that they are available towards the end of the game when they might be necessary/more valuable.

They aren't valuable if you don't use them. If you want to use them early: fine use them early. If you want to use them late: fine use them late. Just use them. Tony has the opportunity to impact the game in a positive way and he just doesn't.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2015 10:45 PM by zablenoise.)
02-16-2015 10:41 AM
Paulbintheburg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tribe
(02-16-2015 10:41 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(02-16-2015 10:34 AM)62Indian Wrote:  However, it should be obvious that any coach will conserve timeouts so that they are available towards the end of the game when they might be necessary/more valuable.

They aren't valuable if you don't use them. If you want to use them early: fine use them early. If you want to use them late: fine use them late. Just use them. Tony has the opportunity to impact the year game in a position email way and he just doesn't.

I am a big believer in if you are pushing the ball up court for either a potential game tying or winning basket, you signal in a play to your PG, and roll it. Calling a timeout in that situation gives the defense a chance to reset.

I see it all the time, a team calls a TO, then can barely inbound the ball coming out of the TO.

In my opinion you get your best player the ball don't call a TO, and spread the floor, if you are going to lose, you lose with your best player taking the last shot.
02-16-2015 11:30 AM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

They aren't valuable if you don't use them. If you want to use them early: fine use them early. If you want to use them late: fine use them late. Just use them. Tony has the opportunity to impact the year game in a position email way and he just doesn't.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DUH???????
02-16-2015 10:34 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

Tony was very clear in the post game that we had a breakdown on the last play and that a player (he didn't name names) who was supposed to set a pick before Marcus crossed halfcourt, failed to do his job. Tony stated they had practiced the play plenty, so, simply a failure to execute. You may see Tony not leave everyone to get it right the next time, and to use the time-out.
02-17-2015 02:05 AM
Big Tribe Offline
2nd String

This game was not lost on the final play which ended up with Marcus getting a decent look and
shot that just happened to miss.

The game was really lost in the first half with poor defense.

We played a great second half and just couldn't bring it home in the final minutes. Marcus and Omar were remarkable. Several missed three pointers by our freshmen on corner shots they can make with their eyes closed, and a missed offensive rebound layup by Malinowski,
all in the final minutes, were bad luck for us.

It was a sad loss, a game I thought we were going to win after coming from way back and tying it three times.

Surely not having Dixon hurt us in this one, especially crunch time.

The big challenge now is to win at least one of these two tough road games in arenas were we rarely win. We're not going to have Dixon again in both games, so the team is going to have to batten down the hatches and play tough, hard-scrabble basketball.
02-17-2015 08:36 AM
WM_Destro Offline
Special Teams

I was at the game, so I didn't have the luxury of TV replay, but it appeared to me that the horn sounded a hair before Marcus' shot left his hand. It may not have mattered if the shot fell or not.

I still remain optimistic about the season and our chances in Baltimore. I think we as fans are navigating through largely uncharted waters with the overall success of this year's team. I believe many, including myself, know the talent of our team but have this nagging dread/fear of a sloppy stretch and a quick bounce from the tournament. Combined with last year's heartbreak, this keeps some up late.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2015 09:36 AM by WM_Destro.)
02-17-2015 09:36 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(02-17-2015 02:05 AM)Tribeheart Wrote:  Tony was very clear in the post game that we had a breakdown on the last play and that a player (he didn't name names) who was supposed to set a pick before Marcus crossed halfcourt, failed to do his job. Tony stated they had practiced the play plenty, so, simply a failure to execute. You may see Tony not leave everyone to get it right the next time, and to use the time-out.
Damn. I wish I had listened to the post game because it would have given me at least a little closure. As to Destro's point it was clear on the replay that Marcus didn't get the shot off in time.
02-17-2015 02:32 PM
WMtribe17 Offline
All American

They aren't valuable if you don't use them. If you want to use them early: fine use them early. If you want to use them late: fine use them late. Just use them. Tony has the opportunity to impact the game in a positive way and he just doesn't.

Exactly. I don't care if Shaver calls a timeout and says good job guys and gives everyone a pat on the back. I am just tired of seeing 2-3 timeouts left over in so many games, especially when timeouts can be used to get the defense organized. At times, W&M had 3 freshmen out on the court against Delaware. A timeout to make sure the freshmen understand their responsibilities on defense can never hurt if you don't want to use the timeouts at the end of the game.
02-17-2015 03:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.