Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cajun PBP guy doesnt like Easter Sunday Baseball
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Cajun PBP guy doesnt like Easter Sunday Baseball
http://espn1420.com/an-open-letter-to-su...irds-nest/

I know a few leagues are moving to Thursday/Saturday series Easter weekend, but no major league has taken the step yet.

He's got a point. Crowd's are generally awful on Easter, and if you've got a curfew attached to the game, an 11am start becomes possible. However, I disagree with him on one key point.

Baseball was made for Easter: Bear with me. Easter Sunday has long been seen as the sort of unofficial start of the Spring. Its a sign that weather is getting warmer, and the Holiday itself is a great day for families to get outside and enjoy themselves. What sport doesn't represent this Holiday better than baseball?

Now I fully admit, I wish the SBC would rotate Easter home series. I haven't celebrated Easter with my family since I was in College because ASU has always had a home baseball weekend. Meanwhile, Jay's frustrated in his own way because the conference never forces the Cajuns or other high attended teams to host on Easter, meaning he's always away from home.

I think there is a place for Easter Baseball in the SBC...I just think we need to rotate it where the same teams aren't forced to travel and host every year. Teams at home lose attendance, but get to celebrate with their families. Teams on the road don't have attendance issues, but don't get to celebrate with their families.

Thoughts?
04-22-2014 02:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
RE: Cajun PBP guy doesnt like Easter Sunday Baseball
Jay is usually right (and is again).No games on holidays please!
04-22-2014 02:42 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Actually, the Cajuns have played at home on Easter. If I went back and looked, I'd guess I've been on the road more often than not, but I've had home weekends.

We'll agree to disagree on the Easter baseball thing. I'll go with it for pro baseball but not in college.

My biggest point was the reasons coaches have given are pretty lame. They'll change it when it's convenient for them.

"Baseball is made for Easter" is better than anything they've come up with, I'll give you that much LOL

This piece had little to do with any of my personal frustrations. I just don't think it's right to keep college age athletes away from their families or their right to celebrate the most important day on the Christian calendar when it can be avoided.

As I said, they'd give up Sunday baseball in a second if they could be on TV on Thursday. And we all know it.
04-22-2014 02:42 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
And we had people complaining about the spring football game being on Friday because the coaches wanted to release the kids home for Easter.

I remember when it was common for schools to play their three game weekend series with a single on Friday and a double on Saturday so the kids could have the day off, the coaches could have the day potentially off and the people taking tickets and selling cokes could have the day off.
04-22-2014 02:50 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-22-2014 02:42 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Actually, the Cajuns have played at home on Easter. If I went back and looked, I'd guess I've been on the road more often than not, but I've had home weekends.

We'll agree to disagree on the Easter baseball thing. I'll go with it for pro baseball but not in college.

My biggest point was the reasons coaches have given are pretty lame. They'll change it when it's convenient for them.

"Baseball is made for Easter" is better than anything they've come up with, I'll give you that much LOL

This piece had little to do with any of my personal frustrations. I just don't think it's right to keep college age athletes away from their families or their right to celebrate the most important day on the Christian calendar when it can be avoided.

As I said, they'd give up Sunday baseball in a second if they could be on TV on Thursday. And we all know it.

My rationale on the family issue is that a lot of these kids are already hundreds of miles from home, and with midweek games the following Tuesday, its not like teams would be able to travel home to see family, especially if they just played on the road the Saturday before.

In a way, having a home series allows a chance for family to come in and have an excuse to spend the Holiday together...even if baseball does come with it.

I still think the best argument is to play Saturday-Monday on Easter Weekend. Don't eliminate the games on Easter, just start them later in the day when families are done with church and are looking for things to do. Play the final game of the series on Monday instead.

In the end, you still miss the same amount of class time, which is the real reason conference games are played on weekends and not whatever line the coaches are spouting about why it is now.
04-22-2014 03:00 PM
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
(04-22-2014 02:50 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  And we had people complaining about the spring football game being on Friday because the coaches wanted to release the kids home for Easter.

I remember when it was common for schools to play their three game weekend series with a single on Friday and a double on Saturday so the kids could have the day off, the coaches could have the day potentially off and the people taking tickets and selling cokes could have the day off.

This. Even if you don't really celebrate Easter, by having a game on Eastern Sunday you're affecting a LOT of other people who are asked or forced to work that morning/day and cannot go home and spend time with family.
04-22-2014 03:10 PM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(04-22-2014 02:42 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Actually, the Cajuns have played at home on Easter. If I went back and looked, I'd guess I've been on the road more often than not, but I've had home weekends.

Heard Coach Robichaux talk about the subject on the Cajun Redzone show last Thursday night. SBC women's softball has found a way to get it done, so it's not impossible to do for baseball. Most of programs have the 2015 schedule done, but its not too early to have another vote after the season and make adjustments to the 2016 season. It shouldn't be that hard to accomplish.
04-22-2014 04:06 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
The SLC always had (when we were in it) a Thursday-Sat series on Easter weekend. It's not a hard thing to do and not rocket science to figure out.

People that have no problem with games on holidays are the same types that made the CEOs decide it's ok for retail stores to be open (and those workers miss being with family or enjoying festivities) every holiday of the year.

I miss the blue laws.
04-24-2014 08:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.