Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Heard EKU has applied for membership
Bookmark and Share
JSUFan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Jacksonville St
RE: Heard EKU has applied for membership
(04-21-2014 01:13 PM)Colonels12 Wrote:  The MAC isn't looking to expand.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 Active using Tapatalk

If the MAC could get JMU and another good school, I believe they would expand.
04-21-2014 01:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(04-21-2014 01:14 PM)EKUSteve Wrote:  
(04-21-2014 01:12 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(04-21-2014 11:08 AM)SlyFox Wrote:  Wouldn't it be shocking if Liberty, EKU, Jacksonville State & UMass hadn't all applied?

I would be shocked if all three applied. But I liken the application similar to the formal invite: You aren't going to do it until you know you are in.

And I think we can all agree that as of right now... NOBODY knows who is in and who isn't.

Exactly. That is how it worked with my grad school (Texas A&M). You have to "apply" but only after you know you'll have the votes.

Yeah, I kinda view the "application" as getting the marriage certificate, and the "vote to approve membership" like the ceremony.

You don't do either of them until you know the deal is done.
04-21-2014 01:21 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
Expanding larger than 12 means they have to split the money even more. Don't see the upside to expanding for the MAC
04-21-2014 01:21 PM
SpiritCymbal Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Ga. Southern
(04-21-2014 01:21 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  Yeah, I kinda view the "application" as getting the marriage certificate, and the "vote to approve membership" like the ceremony.

You don't do either of them until you know the deal is done.

Exactly. Nothing is going to be said in public from anyone official until it's already widely known to be a done deal. There's no "application", "official invite", etc... until it's already happened. Schools don't fill out a form and send it back to the conference headquarters in a self-addressed envelope with a $65 processing charge. And likewise, conferences don't send out a RSVP card to schools asking if they want the chicken or beef at the reception without already knowing the answer.
04-21-2014 01:32 PM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
(04-21-2014 01:21 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Expanding larger than 12 means they have to split the money even more. Don't see the upside to expanding for the MAC

Teams would lose 150k from the CFP money splitting it 14 ways instead of 12.
04-21-2014 01:37 PM
asupatch Offline
2nd String

I Root For: APPY STATE!!
(04-21-2014 10:06 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  
(04-21-2014 10:00 AM)JoeJag Wrote:  
(04-21-2014 09:52 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  http://www.ekusports.com/sports/2013/12/...spx?&tab=7

Their location is the only positive for me and I am one of the people in favor of moving to 12 for football as soon as we can. It just looks like time stood still 20 years ago for their athletic infrastructure. I don't mean to offend any EKU supporters but is their a plan and are their resources to upgrade quickly?

Also, I am of the opinon that market size is irrelevant when it comes to FBS success but can a program in 32K Richmond support a 4th Kentucky based football program? Louisville is doing well and WKU has had some success so maybe there just isn't a recruiting base to succeed in the SEC.

Maybe they can support a 4th KY football program. Troy, AL has a population of 18,033 and is located in the middle of the boondocks. They do pretty darn well. So, Richmond, you say has 32,000 and IMO, they could probably do as well.
Alabama is a very strong recruiting base. I don't think Kentucky is in the same league for producing athletes. Maybe EKU can mine other states.

Boone NC is also 32k. We get most of our players from SC, GA and FL.
04-21-2014 02:06 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(04-21-2014 01:37 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  
(04-21-2014 01:21 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Expanding larger than 12 means they have to split the money even more. Don't see the upside to expanding for the MAC

Teams would lose 150k from the CFP money splitting it 14 ways instead of 12.

And to break even on that, the TV package would have to increase $2.1 million/year. Actually, more than that because there is also the performance distrubtion where even the worst conference gets some money.So that would be a no to anymore expansion with the new CFP distribution...without a TV package that would overcome all those obstacles and then some.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2014 02:08 PM by MWC Tex.)
04-21-2014 02:08 PM
eku50 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: EKU
(04-21-2014 02:06 PM)asupatch Wrote:  
(04-21-2014 10:06 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  
(04-21-2014 09:52 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  http://www.ekusports.com/sports/2013/12/...spx?&tab=7

Their location is the only positive for me and I am one of the people in favor of moving to 12 for football as soon as we can. It just looks like time stood still 20 years ago for their athletic infrastructure. I don't mean to offend any EKU supporters but is their a plan and are their resources to upgrade quickly?

Also, I am of the opinon that market size is irrelevant when it comes to FBS success but can a program in 32K Richmond support a 4th Kentucky based football program? Louisville is doing well and WKU has had some success so maybe there just isn't a recruiting base to succeed in the SEC.

Maybe they can support a 4th KY football program. Troy, AL has a population of 18,033 and is located in the middle of the boondocks. They do pretty darn well. So, Richmond, you say has 32,000 and IMO, they could probably do as well.
Alabama is a very strong recruiting base. I don't think Kentucky is in the same league for producing athletes. Maybe EKU can mine other states.

Boone NC is also 32k. We get most of our players from SC, GA and FL.

EKU has traditionally recruited out of state. They have a pretty good pipeline in GA and in FL. The thing that hurts with being FCS is there are not a lot of 3star kids in the state. The type of kids that are tweeners. Because of this you have to get the kids that fall through the cracks in GA and FL. Being a FBS school will help get some of those kids who are legitimate 3 stars because now they will get a chance to be on TV, or get to play UK or UL.
04-21-2014 02:14 PM
EKUSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: EKU & A&M
The timing of this is interesting since the EKU BOR just met last Monday. Can't find an agenda or minutes at this point. Wonder if they voted to give the President authority to move on this?
04-21-2014 02:25 PM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
Its spring jsu's bot met today also. I would imagine a lot of schools are having meetings.
04-21-2014 02:28 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
If the benefit of having the pair isn't worth over $200K per school, one way or another, then there isn't much reason to consider them in the first place.

With two of the top four recruiting states in its footprint and four of the top ten, recruiting grounds is not a priority for the Sunbelt, but with none of the big four states and only one of the top ten, its a bigger issue for the MAC. Both pairs of adds the MAC has tried in the past 15 years or so have included a school in good recruiting grounds ... and both proved footloose, moving on after only a short time in the MAC..
04-21-2014 02:38 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(04-21-2014 09:42 AM)WKUApollo Wrote:  
(04-21-2014 08:47 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  Could EKU be that 12th member? I heard they have applied for membership to the Sun Belt.

It appears obvious that EKU wants to move to FBS. I think it'd be good for the SBC. I'm doubtful their transition would be as smooth as AppSt or GaSo's transition will be but I could be wrong. Regardless, long term, it balances out the league, gives AppSt a travel partner and gives the SBC a team that likely won't bolt for another conference down the road.

Maybe not as smooth as GS and App's hopefully will be but couldn't be any worse than some current members and past members like FIU and FAU. Just hope their alumni, students and boosters step up if they join.
04-21-2014 02:57 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Hats off to EKU if they did formally apply for membership in the Sun Belt.
Sounds like they have a bit of Liberty in them. Nothing wrong with going after what you want.
[Image: 00fF051MJPs_zpsa43869d1.gif~original]
04-21-2014 03:11 PM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas State
(04-21-2014 03:11 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Hats off to EKU if they did formally apply for membership in the Sun Belt.
Sounds like they have a bit of Liberty in them. Nothing wrong with going after what you want.

Sounds like EKU should have less opposition in joining the Sun Belt than Liberty and with vision should become a good addition. Now add NMSU as an all sports member.
04-21-2014 03:19 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(04-21-2014 03:11 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Hats off to EKU if they did formally apply for membership in the Sun Belt.

Might I inquire as to which source you found this out?
04-21-2014 03:30 PM
GoApps70 Offline

(04-21-2014 03:30 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  

Might I inquire as to which source you found this out?

As to what are you referring? EKU on the OP about applying to the Sun Belt, something else or the gif?
04-21-2014 03:37 PM
LexColonel Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EKU, Louisville, NAVY
(04-21-2014 09:52 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  http://www.ekusports.com/sports/2013/12/....aspx?&tab

FYI: on population. 32,000 approximately in the city of a Richmond. Approximately 85,500 in Madison County. Richmond as far as the city goes, the population issue is misleading in that much of a northern Madison County, where Richmond and EKU are located, have not been incorporated into the city. We have some friends who live in a highly populated area of subdivisions 2 miles from "downtown" Richmond and they are not in the the city of Richmond and not included in Richmond population totals ( this area is maybe 4 miles from campus). That is also true for numerous outlying areas around Richmond.
Just heard thst EKU has recently hired an athletic fund raiser, who will only be working with athletics.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2014 03:45 PM by LexColonel.)
04-21-2014 03:43 PM
GoApps70 Offline

Hey, you are preaching to the choir with us. Last I recall there were more students than towns people in Boone, NC.
04-21-2014 04:05 PM
Eagleditka Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS Eagles
4th FBS football program in its state and located in a town of 32,000? How's that different from most the Sun Belt? Sounds like Georgia Southern.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2014 04:43 PM by Eagleditka.)
04-21-2014 04:42 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(04-21-2014 10:32 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  Once MoSt and JMU said no I think EKU went right to the top because they have shown they want in and willing to do what it takes to get there...with in reason.

First step is getting in and I honestly hope they do. As far as the stadium it needs work but they don't have to go all out. Build some stands on the one side and do some cosmetic work on the other . The designs talked about by their fans will not come close to getting done with the money they are taking about. As far as their budget student fees will be added but from what I read I don't think it will be enough...

that's OK, get in the door and then ask for more.

I think they will have it a little tougher than TXST, GSU, APP, and USA in football but not so much when it comes to basketball.

While the SBC has a few really nice basketball arenas Eastern's is still as good if not better than some especially GST, TXST, ULM and while it's not as large as ASU's it's not any worse on the inside.

I like being back in Kentucky. I have empathy to a once very good program sort of losing its way and looking to recapture what it once had.

But bumping the operating budget nearly 25% is a big challenge.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2014 04:58 PM by arkstfan.)
04-21-2014 04:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.