Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Are we adding two teams?
Bookmark and Share
sidslidkid Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Are we adding two teams?
(04-08-2014 05:37 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  Maybe they're inviting two and one is leaving?

Could tighten up the footprint...
04-08-2014 05:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WKUApollo Online

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(04-08-2014 05:38 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 05:37 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  Maybe they're inviting two and one is leaving?

Who on earth would only take one SBC Member?

Maybe Idaho is moving to FCS...taking Liberty's spot in their conference. LOL Just saying....
04-08-2014 05:40 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-08-2014 05:35 PM)LUalumfromnc Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 05:29 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 05:27 PM)Check Yosef Wrote:  My favorite part of all the realignment talk is the people who ask who the source is; either they are bluffing and thus can't/won't answer or they aren't going to give their sources because a key to being in the know is not mentioning who told you what

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found in the past that the best way to learn things is to go outside the SBC and find the how shall I say this... "Wise old Owl, who talks too much"

My guess is that Dietrich and I have very similar sources on that side of the issue.

Well my source was outside the Sun Belt and in my own conference. The Winthrop University president was informing everyone that they know Liberty is leaving, Winthrop is leaving to go to the CAA, and that the Big South is going to have to look for new members soon before they become worse off than the WAC. The Big South will be no conference at all!!!! The Sun Belt will be adding either 1 team to get to 12 or 3 teams to get to 14 to already be prepared for another raid by the CUSA in my opinion.

I think Winthrop is just opening their mouth to try and get the Big South to do something. To get a CAA invite, they have to have an opening, and the only way they get an opening is if JMU is leaving.
04-08-2014 05:40 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-08-2014 05:40 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 05:38 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Who on earth would only take one SBC Member?

Maybe Idaho is moving to FCS...taking Liberty's spot in their conference. LOL Just saying....

But NoDak said we're move the entire Big Sky up to FBS.
04-08-2014 05:41 PM
Eagleditka Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS Eagles
2 teams = NMSU all sports + Missouri State all sports. My best guess.
04-08-2014 05:49 PM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
(04-08-2014 05:35 PM)LUalumfromnc Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 05:29 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 05:27 PM)Check Yosef Wrote:  My favorite part of all the realignment talk is the people who ask who the source is; either they are bluffing and thus can't/won't answer or they aren't going to give their sources because a key to being in the know is not mentioning who told you what

I have found in the past that the best way to learn things is to go outside the SBC and find the how shall I say this... "Wise old Owl, who talks too much"

My guess is that Dietrich and I have very similar sources on that side of the issue.

Well my source was outside the Sun Belt and in my own conference. The Winthrop University president was informing everyone that they know Liberty is leaving, Winthrop is leaving to go to the CAA, and that the Big South is going to have to look for new members soon before they become worse off than the WAC. The Big South will be no conference at all!!!! The Sun Belt will be adding either 1 team to get to 12 or 3 teams to get to 14 to already be prepared for another raid by the CUSA in my opinion.

There really isn't any reason to go to 14... while it insulates the conference and give transitional teams time to upgrade budgets and scholarships to FBS, I don't think it outweighs the revenue sharing that would result. CUSA is already "raid proof" at 14... there may be two (at most) G5 teams that could be pulled into an AAC or above conference and CUSA has "two fouls to give" before they really have to look for anyone. The MAC's decision to terminate the UMASS relationship and announce they are not looking to expand at this time indicates to me the desired number for G5 is 12.

Things could get totally sideways... for example, a couple of key P5 conferences grab teams from each other while the Big 12 actually gets to 12... then we could be in for another major shuffle in all the conferences... but no one with credibility is suggesting that at this time.

As for the SBC: the teams that they can get (JMU, JSU, EKU, UTC, MSU, Liberty) are all still there. Losing two members would still allow for a 2 year transition of other teams that could be interested in a few years if needed.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 06:05 PM by GoAppsGo92.)
04-08-2014 05:57 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(04-08-2014 05:08 PM)asupatch Wrote:  Why add two and go to 13? 12 is the magic number per Benson. Lets just hope the 12th, not named Liberty accepts.

Depends on what the goal is.

If the goal is for the all-sport members to be 12 (10 football 2 non) and have two football only members to get football to 12 then 13 is a weird number.

If the goal is to be 14 (12 football 2 non) and 0 football only, then 13 is a means to an end.

But I've been told before that there is not a magic number and 13 would be made to work if the right two schools apply.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 05:59 PM by arkstfan.)
04-08-2014 05:58 PM
Tiguar Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama

my thoughts. if not now, then later.

maybe we invite two, lose one now, then lose another and invite another later, or just lose another later.
04-08-2014 06:00 PM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
(04-08-2014 06:00 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  

maybe we invite two, lose one now, then lose another and invite another later, or just lose another later.

I guess that begs the question... lose them to whom? CUSA is full up and MAC is not expanding. Sure, I guess stAte could go with another FBS team to the MAC, but to what end? I really think the realignment game is just about finished with the 12 invite to the SBC... at least for a few years. Even if the Big 12 expands, I think the damage is limited to only a couple conferences.
04-08-2014 06:04 PM
Tiguar Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama
(04-08-2014 06:04 PM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 06:00 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  

I guess that begs the question... lose them to whom?
it does. more movement up top seems unlikely, maybe CUSA loses some to MWC? I don't know how likely that is, either. Perhaps some schools are threatening independence- they may not need a home.
04-08-2014 06:05 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
The Sun Belt don't need no stinkin' new teams.
04-08-2014 06:11 PM
Florida Red Wolf Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(04-08-2014 05:16 PM)LUalumfromnc Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 05:11 PM)Check Yosef Wrote:  Sun belt forum got eerily quiet all of a sudden

ayet. It is not over until there is confirmation who the 12th member is. I hope Liberty is that member and I do not know why all this hate is happening towards my alma mater. If Liberty is the new member this is going to be a great new rivalry between Appy State and LU!!!!

Hate is usually centered on ignorance, the unknown and bias. Liberty would probably be a better choice than most but I'm not boosting any given that I'm no 12th team man.
04-08-2014 06:12 PM
Check Yosef Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Are we adding two teams?
(04-08-2014 06:12 PM)Florida Red Wolf Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 05:11 PM)Check Yosef Wrote:  Sun belt forum got eerily quiet all of a sudden

ayet. It is not over until there is confirmation who the 12th member is. I hope Liberty is that member and I do not know why all this hate is happening towards my alma mater. If Liberty is the new member this is going to be a great new rivalry between Appy State and LU!!!!

Hate is usually centered on ignorance, the unknown and bias. Liberty would probably be a better choice than most but I'm not boosting any given that I'm no 12th team man.

In this situation I'm curious if hating for intolerance based on ignorance is in it's own respect being intolerantly ignorant

04-08-2014 06:16 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
I don't want 2 FCS moveups. There's absolutely no need to add a 13th team if that team is a moveup.
04-08-2014 06:22 PM
Eagleditka Offline
Special Teams

Not seeing much chatter on the Mo State or JMU boards.
04-08-2014 06:24 PM
Check Yosef Offline
1st String

Are we adding two teams?
(04-08-2014 06:24 PM)Eagleditka Wrote:  Not seeing much chatter on the Mo State or JMU boards.

I'm sure you are on the liberty boards but that's because if they talk like they do on here it's probably 24/7 chatter

04-08-2014 06:26 PM
Florida Red Wolf Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(04-08-2014 06:16 PM)Check Yosef Wrote:  

In this situation I'm curious if hating for intolerance based on ignorance is in it's own respect being intolerantly ignorant

yes, yes and yes.
04-08-2014 06:29 PM
Eagleditka Offline
Special Teams

(04-08-2014 06:26 PM)Check Yosef Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 06:24 PM)Eagleditka Wrote:  Not seeing much chatter on the Mo State or JMU boards.

I'm sure you are on the liberty boards but that's because if they talk like they do on here it's probably 24/7 chatter

I didn't check, I just assumed they had chatter based off that tweet from the FAU beat writer. If there wasn't chatter over there I'd be concerned.
04-08-2014 06:31 PM
Check Yosef Offline
1st String

Are we adding two teams?
(04-08-2014 06:50 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

The concerns of those of us opposed to Liberty's inclusion in the Sun Belt are based upon facts. Feel free to produce an openly Gay LU employee (not some contractor hired for a week), a practicing Jewish employee of the school, and the full Liberty Way student handbook that so that everyone can see the policies proscribing discipline for Gay students in federally recognized marriages. I think even the LU folks wont dare defend Mat Staver (then why does JFJ?)

None of LU's controversial policies are justified by any rational interpretation of Christianity (really - where in the Bible does it justify not employing persons outside your faith?). Nor will LU changing a few policies and reining in a Law School Dean that embarrasses the University just about every week on a network radio program make LU less of a Christian institution. Rather, it would make it MORE of one IMHO.

Liberty would be "a better than most" choice if they were willing to change a few policies (and would make them real peers of institutions they apparently aspire to be peers of, such as SMU and Notre Dame)

And guys, Liberty's behavior is going to look even worse next year. And even worse the year after that. If you want to argue that a school that rejects the talents of just about everyone is likely to be successful, then go right ahead. But its not what most people think. And that type of overt discrimination will be less and less acceptable as time progresses. And with LU's reluctance to cooperate with anyone, this might present an even greater issue moving forward.

But I guess we do have a way to force LU out of the Belt if they somehow get a bid. Just have the membership vote in some non-discrimination rules binding on all member institutions.

Lol as I've stated many times I'm indifferent to the liberty debate, even though I am an agnost and a huge supporter of equality no matter the race, religion, sexual orientation, or really any other prejudice created by any group to discriminate on any other group, if liberty gets in then good for them, if not that's fine too, do I agree with all their beliefs? No. Do I believe deeply in their right to have that belief? Yes. Social problems are creations of mankind, the more people accept the fact there will be differences between them and others around them the more peace we will see

04-08-2014 07:00 PM
Check Yosef Offline
1st String

Are we adding two teams?
Anyways... Done with my save the world rant, sorry to go off topic like that.

04-08-2014 07:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.