Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OVC expansion
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
OVC expansion
Is it possible that the OVC may add a couple more teams? I would love to see ETSU and UTC move in.
04-01-2013 07:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MoreheadEagle Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Morehead State
OVC expansion
I certainly hope the conference doesn't expand. 10 or 12 is a perfect number for a one-bid conference such as the OVC. The more members means that the NCAA credits are more watered-down and I can't see the conference going beyond 12.

In my opinion if, for instance, Jax State moves to the Sun Belt then I'd much rather the OVC add NKU than any school from Tennessee. First NKU has more media pull, I live in Cincinnati and can vouch for this first hand, better facilities, and is closer to EKU and Morehead. Secondly, when NKU was turned down for the conference their president went to the media claiming that the "no" votes came from school presidents who worried that NKU basically had too much $ and put other schools at a competitive disadvantage. These presidents voted for Belmont which has all the things NKU has.

I'm glad that ETSU is adding football and I wish them luck. Hopefully you'll be playing in the FCS playoffs and I hope it's as a member of the SoCon and not the OVC. Nothing personal but the conference needs to look north rather than south.
04-02-2013 03:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
RE: OVC expansion
NKU doesn't have football. But I see what you are saying, and no offense taken.

Just wondering if expansion is even on the OVC radar.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 01:34 PM by ETSUfan1.)
04-03-2013 01:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MoreheadEagle Offline
Water Engineer

OVC expansion
NKU doesn't have football and IMO that's a good thing. The conference made a great decision by dropping that requirement and is/should be focusing more on getting at-large bids to the NCAA tournament.

However, I don't see expansion on the radar. If a school leaves then that's another matter.
04-03-2013 05:55 PM
Advertisement

cowboyracer43 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: murray
once upon a time, my favorite adventure every season was the long drive to johnson city. greasy spoon truck stops, competing with coal trucks for space on hump-backed mountain roads, harlan, thunder road, good hoops. one day, when interstates showed up, folks in johnson city decided they were too good to be playing the likes of murray and morehead. be careful of that for which you wish. it might come true. however, i would gladly trade ttech, utmb and tsu for etsu. keep apologizing for the error in judgment, and perhaps mercy will prevail.
04-15-2013 09:47 PM
MoreheadEagle Offline
Water Engineer

OVC expansion
I'd rather have NKU and Wright State than UT-M and JSU ( just too far south).
If the OVC wanted to expand then it needs teams that would get us an at large bid to the NCAA tournament. FCS football is a luxury to OVC level schools and shouldn't be the focus of a regional college conference.
04-15-2013 10:10 PM
Gibson Tiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
The OVC voted a couple of years ago on adding Northern Kentucky & North Alabama but 3 schools voted against them.I believe 2 "no" votes was the maximum numbers a candidate school could have and they still get voted in.It wasn't reported who the 3 schools were that said no.Is there any chance of Morehead State football coming back to the OVC in the near future?
04-13-2014 09:38 AM
Advertisement

Panthergrad11 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Illinois, EIU
I doubt Morehead State would bring back scholarship football. Even if they did, it would bring a situation that the OVC already has now that Austin Peay recently brought back scholarship football. Actually if Missouri State moves to the Sun Belt, don't be surprised if the Missouri Valley takes a run at EIU to replace them as a football school.
04-14-2014 12:34 PM
EKUSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: EKU & A&M
(04-14-2014 12:34 PM)Panthergrad11 Wrote:  I doubt Morehead State would bring back scholarship football. Even if they did, it would bring a situation that the OVC already has now that Austin Peay recently brought back scholarship football. Actually if Missouri State moves to the Sun Belt, don't be surprised if the Missouri Valley takes a run at EIU to replace them as a football school.

It is being reported on the Sun Belt board that Missouri State has had no conversations with the Sun Belt and is not interested in moving.
04-16-2014 12:27 PM
Panthergrad11 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Illinois, EIU
Right. But how often do you see schools say stuff like that publicly and they still end up moving anyway/
04-16-2014 12:32 PM
Advertisement

Gibson Tiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
Would EIU join the Missouri Valley as a football only member or as a full member?I think EIU would struggle in that league outside of football.Locally,I've got UT Martin in the OVC & sometimes I think UTM's move to D1 was a mistake.
08-10-2014 06:31 PM
EKUSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: EKU & A&M
(08-10-2014 06:31 PM)Gibson Tiger Wrote:  Would EIU join the Missouri Valley as a football only member or as a full member?I think EIU would struggle in that league outside of football.Locally,I've got UT Martin in the OVC & sometimes I think UTM's move to D1 was a mistake.

EIU left the MVC and joined the OVC in 1996. Not sure why they would go back.
08-12-2014 12:20 PM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
What about West Liberty University? They are in the northern part of WV, have great basketball, and has already built a name for themselves. Every game is packed now for a D2 schedule, I couldn't imagine what they would draw with moving up.

Last 5 seasons in D2.

2010- Sweet 16

2011- Final 4

2012- Elite 8

2013- Final 4

2014- Runner Up

Also pretty sure they won over 30 games every single year. Only one I'm not 100% on is the 2010 season.
12-02-2014 08:56 PM
Advertisement

David Krysakowski Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Could the conference take in UAB?
12-12-2014 12:48 PM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
West Liberty would be a great addition. Has good facilities, GREAT basketball, and other sports are solid.

Has own tv network and good local support.
12-17-2014 12:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.