Will contraction lead to smart Belt expansion
Bookmark and Share
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: Will contraction lead to smart Belt expansion
(12-28-2009 12:30 PM)T_Won1 Wrote:  
(12-28-2009 12:28 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(12-28-2009 12:24 PM)T_Won1 Wrote:  Well if you are going to put it that way, then Hawaii was also in the Big West from 1984-1996.

I thought you were talking about the Big West that included Eastern teams (Tech, USL, Ark St, and NIU).

Hawaii never played Big West football or any men's sport in the Big West.

I see... women's basketball only.

And Tech, USL, A-State, and NIU were football-only in the Big West.

That assumes that football matters and women's basketball is a diversion. Based on TV money and national attention, I'd say the evidence supports that.
12-28-2009 12:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
(12-28-2009 12:37 PM)ManzanoWolf Wrote:  Agree; the WAC has nothing to offer without Boise. Boise is the WAC !!!

Very true. I know that our fanbase is always comparing the SBC to the WAC to determine which would be better for the future of our program. While some people talks about trips to Reno and Hawaii or baseball games against Fresno, everyone talks about Boise and the blue turf.

If you look at the WACs TV contract from last year, majority of the games featured Boise.
12-28-2009 01:10 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(12-28-2009 01:10 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  If you look at the WACs TV contract from last year, majority of the games featured Boise.

And that's why the WAC has the nice TV contract. The AP and everybody else want to see what Boise State is doing, not what Fresno State, La Tech, San Jose State, or Nevada are doing.
12-28-2009 02:34 PM
CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-28-2009 12:24 PM)T_Won1 Wrote:  Well if you are going to put it that way, then Hawaii was also in the Big West from 1984-1996.

I thought you were talking about the Big West that included Eastern teams (Tech, USL, Ark St, and NIU).

T_WON, there are a lot of questions in your scenario.

First, if Boise State were to leave the WAC, all bowl and television contacts would eventually be reviewed based upon realignment.

Second, I'm not sure Tech would support a UL or North Texas invitation, afterall this is the same crew that threatened the Indy Bowl about at UL or Ark St invitation. I know you guys aren't buying it, but that would mean all the SBC AD's and Assoc AD's lied about last springs Indy Bowl presentation including UL's. I'm sorry, I'm not buying that scenario.

Third, I'm not sure UL would consider it because once Boise State leaves the bowl revenue will be considerably less then today and no way would UL want the increase in travel cost for spring sports.

Fourth, UL is awaiting the football contract that Dooley has had in hand now for over two months. Until Dooley returns that contract with his signature, there will be no games played in any sport between the two programs.

Considering those factors, I don't see UL having any interest in the WAC.
12-28-2009 03:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(12-28-2009 03:07 PM)CajunT Wrote:  

First, if Boise State were to leave the WAC, all bowl and television contacts would eventually be reviewed based upon realignment.

Second, I'm not sure Tech would support a UL or North Texas invitation, afterall this is the same crew that threatened the Indy Bowl about at UL or Ark St invitation. I know you guys aren't buying it, but that would mean all the SBC AD's and Assoc AD's lied about last springs Indy Bowl presentation including UL's. I'm sorry, I'm not buying that scenario.

Third, I'm not sure UL would consider it because once Boise State leaves the bowl revenue will be considerably less then today and no way would UL want the increase in travel cost for spring sports.

Fourth, UL is awaiting the football contract that Dooley has had in hand now for over two months. Until Dooley returns that contract with his signature, there will be no games played in any sport between the two programs.

The WAC was all about Fresno State before Boise State blew up. Remember David Carr and Bernard Berrian and Fresno in the Top 5? Hawaii is another team from the WAC that went to a BCS bowl game. This stuff is cyclical though. ESPN will not cut it's revenue significantly because Boise left. Boise was on TV alot because they were the first school in the country to see the value of playing weeknights on TV. La Tech had 3 nationally televised games last year and we came in 5th in the conference. The only game I wasn't able to watch either on TV or the computer was the Fresno St game. ESPN covered all the others either on the Deuce or 360. It is great for exposure!

I think Tech would support UL and UNT's entry into the WAC if Boise left. Hell, I think we would right now! Y'all ready? We need a travel partner and UNT would be a good partner for NMSU. The only problem is that the Western schools want to keep it as a Western conference. If Boise left, that would change.

That BCS bowl money is over-hyped. The only school that makes significant money is the team that plays in the game. All the other conferences split up the remaining portion based on how well that conference performed that year. The WAC has either been first or second in distributions every year. The Sun Belt has been last every time. But still the only difference is about $400K per school.

Dooley won't need that contract if UL joins the WAC.
12-28-2009 03:20 PM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I'm not sure UL would consider it because once Boise State leaves the bowl revenue will be considerably less then today and no way would UL want the increase in travel cost for spring sports.

I looked up the numbers for ULL and Tech:

La Tech
Conference Revenue - 1.7 Million
Team travel - 1.9 Million

ULL
Conference Revenue - 565K
Team travel - 1.4 Million

The state audit numbers show that a move to the WAC would increase ULL's profit by about 700K / year.
12-28-2009 03:40 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

T Won1, Boise State IS the WAC. Hawai'i made a name for themselves making it to the Sugar Bowl a few years ago, but getting destroyed by Georgia probably did more to hurt the Conference than not making it to that bowl would have done. It showed that a mediocre Hawai'i could run through its Conference and make it to the BCS only to be beaten badly by the runner-up of a BCS Conference. it made the WAC look weak.

The Sun Belt is the youngest Conference in the country, and we are viewed appropriately for that fact. Troy and Middle Tennessee earn respect through consistency. we're not beating top-10 teams, but we play well in-Conference and we hold our own OOC.

I'm not going to sit here and argue which Conference is better because both leagues are one or two teams away from being irrelevant. All i know is if Boise departs, the WAC is back to the same level as the Belt. Like it or not, the Broncos are everything to your Conference.
12-28-2009 03:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
trojanbrutha Offline
Beltbbs Troy Football INsider

Bowl season has not been kind to the WAC

By Graham Watson

WAC commissioner Karl Benson had every right to expect more from his conference this bowl season.

For the first time since 2007, the WAC had three teams finish with eight or more wins. It has an undefeated team. Idaho has risen up and is making its first bowl appearance since 1998.

So for the WAC’s No. 2 and 3 teams to be upset in two of the conference’s four bowl games this postseason was a little surprising.

"This certainly wasn't what we were expecting, but you can never predict the performance of 19, 20, 21-year-old players," Benson said. "I think going into it, we looked at the matchups as being favorable matchups. Fresno State and Nevada were both favored by the experts. They were both playing in venues that they were accustomed to."
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2009 04:28 PM by trojanbrutha.)
12-28-2009 04:25 PM
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
(12-28-2009 03:40 PM)T_Won1 Wrote:  

I'm not sure UL would consider it because once Boise State leaves the bowl revenue will be considerably less then today and no way would UL want the increase in travel cost for spring sports.

La Tech

ULL

The state audit numbers show that a move to the WAC would increase ULL's profit by about 700K / year.

That is not true because your argument is based upon the current value of the league, which has a Top 5 ranked Boise in it, and shares of BCS revenue. Subtract Boise from that equation and the value of the league decreases as well as the prospects of BCS revenue. With that being the case, ULL's revenue would not increase by $700k and Tech would not realize $1.7M in conference revenue. You cannot keep these numbers constant under the scenario.
12-28-2009 04:59 PM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

(12-28-2009 04:59 PM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  

La Tech

ULL

That is not true because your argument is based upon the current value of the league, which has a Top 5 ranked Boise in it, and shares of BCS revenue. Subtract Boise from that equation and the value of the league decreases as well as the prospects of BCS revenue. With that being the case, ULL's revenue would not increase by $700k and Tech would not realize $1.7M in conference revenue. You cannot keep these numbers constant under the scenario.

That's true, but it is also based on the old contract with ESPN. The WAC just got a new contract this year. Terms were undisclosed, but it was an improvement.

There is alot that would factor into it, but the ballpark figures show that ULL would profit from the WAC revenues being 3 x's higher than they are budgeted for, rather than losing money by paying $500K extra in travel.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2009 05:06 PM by T_Won1.)
12-28-2009 05:05 PM
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-28-2009 05:05 PM)T_Won1 Wrote:  

La Tech

ULL

That's true, but it is also based on the old contract with ESPN. The WAC just got a new contract this year. Terms were undisclosed, but it was an improvement.

There is alot that would factor into it, but the ballpark figures show that ULL would profit from the WAC revenues being 3 x's higher than they are budgeted for, rather than losing money by paying $500K extra in travel.

Are those football related expenses or expenses for all sports? If not expenses for all sports, I would like to see what the numbers are for expenses for all sports. Since you have nothing to do, would you please work that up for us?
12-28-2009 06:02 PM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

What expenses? Travel?

Tech's Team travel:
Football - 810K
MBB - 183K
WBB - 208K
Baseball - 141K
Other sports - 522K

http://app1.lla.state.la.us/PublicReport...0087B6.pdf
12-28-2009 06:09 PM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

ULL's Team travel:
Football - 500K
MBB - 162K
WBB - 101K
Other sports - 608K

http://app1.lla.state.la.us/PublicReport...00A766.pdf
12-28-2009 06:15 PM
stebo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: North Texas
(12-28-2009 03:20 PM)T_Won1 Wrote:  

The WAC was all about Fresno State before Boise State blew up. Remember David Carr and Bernard Berrian and Fresno in the Top 5? Hawaii is another team from the WAC that went to a BCS bowl game. This stuff is cyclical though. ESPN will not cut it's revenue significantly because Boise left. Boise was on TV alot because they were the first school in the country to see the value of playing weeknights on TV. La Tech had 3 nationally televised games last year and we came in 5th in the conference. The only game I wasn't able to watch either on TV or the computer was the Fresno St game. ESPN covered all the others either on the Deuce or 360. It is great for exposure!

I think Tech would support UL and UNT's entry into the WAC if Boise left. Hell, I think we would right now! Y'all ready? We need a travel partner and UNT would be a good partner for NMSU. The only problem is that the Western schools want to keep it as a Western conference. If Boise left, that would change.

That BCS bowl money is over-hyped. The only school that makes significant money is the team that plays in the game. All the other conferences split up the remaining portion based on how well that conference performed that year. The WAC has either been first or second in distributions every year. The Sun Belt has been last every time. But still the only difference is about $400K per school.

Close, but the MAC finished lower than us last year.

How in the world do you think that the WAC has better bowl exposure than the Belt? We are having a discussion about Boise leaving - if Boise leaves, the bowl goes with them - putting the WAC at 2 bowl games (exactly the same amount as the Belt starting 2010). But let's just ignore that - because I look at the Boise Bowl as a hinderance. It should probably be laid to rest. The bowl was put together as a venue for the Big West champ, almost desperately - and has served its purpose. It is not a reward for any team outside of Idaho and is a punshment for the fans. Next up - Hawaii Bowl. SMU brought less than 1,000 fans. How many would La Tech bring? Maybe the same? It's tough to plan a trip to Hawaii on a couple week's notice - especially when you are trying to sell your family on not spending Christmas Eve with grandma and grandpa. The final WAC bowl game - New Mexico Bowl. Fresno sold 2300 actual tickets to the game. The school had to eat the cost of the rest of the allotment. Less than 25,000 people showed up for the game for the second consecutive year. The bowl will be put on probation this year and have to hit attendance or have its certification pulled.

Now - with all the facts - do you really think that the Boise Bowl, Hawaii Bowl, and New Mexico Bowl are better bowl options for a SW team than the GMAC and the New Orleans Bowls? Say that with a straight face, I dare you.
12-28-2009 07:38 PM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

(12-28-2009 07:38 PM)stebo Wrote:  
(12-28-2009 03:20 PM)T_Won1 Wrote:  

Close, but the MAC finished lower than us last year.

How in the world do you think that the WAC has better bowl exposure than the Belt? We are having a discussion about Boise leaving - if Boise leaves, the bowl goes with them - putting the WAC at 2 bowl games (exactly the same amount as the Belt starting 2010). But let's just ignore that - because I look at the Boise Bowl as a hinderance. It should probably be laid to rest. The bowl was put together as a venue for the Big West champ, almost desperately - and has served its purpose. It is not a reward for any team outside of Idaho and is a punshment for the fans. Next up - Hawaii Bowl. SMU brought less than 1,000 fans. How many would La Tech bring? Maybe the same? It's tough to plan a trip to Hawaii on a couple week's notice - especially when you are trying to sell your family on not spending Christmas Eve with grandma and grandpa. The final WAC bowl game - New Mexico Bowl. Fresno sold 2300 actual tickets to the game. The school had to eat the cost of the rest of the allotment. Less than 25,000 people showed up for the game for the second consecutive year. The bowl will be put on probation this year and have to hit attendance or have its certification pulled.

Now - with all the facts - do you really think that the Boise Bowl, Hawaii Bowl, and New Mexico Bowl are better bowl options for a SW team than the GMAC and the New Orleans Bowls? Say that with a straight face, I dare you.

You make some good points.
12-28-2009 08:38 PM
CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-28-2009 06:02 PM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  

La Tech

ULL

Are those football related expenses or expenses for all sports? If not expenses for all sports, I would like to see what the numbers are for expenses for all sports. Since you have nothing to do, would you please work that up for us?

I agree, you cannot use the current numbers for that scenario with Boise State leaving the WAC. Let us all remember as members of the UL-System our funds for athletics recieved from the state will be cut again in 2010. Unless the state finds new revenue in the future, we will have to replace those funds with private donations.
12-28-2009 09:22 PM
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-28-2009 09:22 PM)CajunT Wrote:  
(12-28-2009 06:02 PM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  

La Tech

ULL

I agree, you cannot use the current numbers for that scenario with Boise State leaving the WAC. Let us all remember as members of the UL-System our funds for athletics recieved from the state will be cut again in 2010. Unless the state finds new revenue in the future, we will have to replace those funds with private donations.

You are correct there. Unfortunately, we cannot spread some of that cost amongst the students via an athletic assessment.
12-28-2009 09:29 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(12-28-2009 03:20 PM)T_Won1 Wrote:  The WAC was all about Fresno State before Boise State blew up. Remember David Carr and Bernard Berrian and Fresno in the Top 5? Hawaii is another team from the WAC that went to a BCS bowl game. This stuff is cyclical though. ESPN will not cut it's revenue significantly because Boise left. Boise was on TV alot because they were the first school in the country to see the value of playing weeknights on TV. La Tech had 3 nationally televised games last year and we came in 5th in the conference. The only game I wasn't able to watch either on TV or the computer was the Fresno St game. ESPN covered all the others either on the Deuce or 360. It is great for exposure!

Fresno has finished ranked in the coaches poll three times and the AP poll twice. They've never been in the AP top 5. All-time, 41 weeks in the polls, 2 weeks during WWII, 12 more weeks while in the Big West. Six more weeks the first two years after joining the WAC. 21 weeks in the Boise era.

By contrast, Boise has spent 75 weeks in the top 25.

As to TV, I watched six of seven ASU road games on either national, regional, or ESPN360 and could have watched two home games on TV had I not been at the games. Two of those games were on ESPN2.

(12-28-2009 03:20 PM)T_Won1 Wrote:  I think Tech would support UL and UNT's entry into the WAC if Boise left. Hell, I think we would right now! Y'all ready? We need a travel partner and UNT would be a good partner for NMSU. The only problem is that the Western schools want to keep it as a Western conference. If Boise left, that would change.
They will look west, not east to an FCS school.

(12-28-2009 03:20 PM)T_Won1 Wrote:  That BCS bowl money is over-hyped. The only school that makes significant money is the team that plays in the game. All the other conferences split up the remaining portion based on how well that conference performed that year. The WAC has either been first or second in distributions every year. The Sun Belt has been last every time. But still the only difference is about $400K per school.
Actually the Sun Belt was 4th in distribution in 2008 and missed third by one non-conference loss and the WAC was 3rd in distribution a few years ago, don't have my sheet handy.
12-29-2009 09:04 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

(12-29-2009 09:04 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  don't have my sheet handy.

You've got a sheet? 04-jawdrop
12-29-2009 09:12 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I don't trust most financial figures.

For example. When the WAC adopted instant replay, the league went with a bottom of the barrell system (but far better than the home built system C-USA initially used). Each school had to pay for the equipment (computers, DVRs, cameras) out of their athletic budget. The Sun Belt bought the XOS system which is used by the Big East and I believe Big XII. It's not the top of the line HD system that the NFL uses or the system the SEC and Big 10 use that is the NFL system pre-HD. The conference paid 100% of the cost of the equipment and installation and when North Texas moves into their new stadium, the conference will pay the cost of moving the equipment. The Sun Belt tends to pick up a lot of the costs for the members. In the end, that means a lower revenue distribution but it also means that athletic departments don't get hit with surprise costs. When Troy, MT, and FAU earned at-large berths, the conference picked up part of their ticket allotments to help reduce the financial strain of long-distance bowl games right off the top.

As to other costs, I've worked in and around athletics enough to know a halfway intelligent athletic director or university president can make the numbers say anything they want. Want more Title IX spending? Charge women's sports a greater portion of the cost of the weight room, medical costs, and admin costs. Want travel costs down? Allocate player meals on the road as training costs.
12-29-2009 09:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.