CSNbbs
Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State (/thread-965091.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - emu79 - 02-12-2023 06:34 AM

EMU had a rough week, there was a offensive shootout at Buffalo and another heartbreaker at home with Toledo. A couple of positive developments since the end of January is the defensive intensity has improved and Acuff is on a tear. EMU is currently 6-19 overall and 3-9 in conference.

Akron is 17-8 and 9-3 in conference and on a two game losing streak since losing to Ohio U on the road. Akron's starting lineup may look like this:

Xavier Castaneda 6'1 Sr.
Enrique Freeman 6'7 Jr.
Trendon Hankerson 6'2 GR
Tavari Johnson 5'11 Fr.
Sammy Hunter 6'9 Jr.

Greg Tribble 6'1 Jr is valuable off the bench

Kent St sits a top the conference with a 10-2 record and 20-5 overall after beating Buffalo on Friday. Their starting lineup may look like this:

Sincere Carry 6'1 Sr.
Malique Jacobs 6'3 Sr.
Miryne Thomas 6'8 Sr.
Cli'Ron Hornbeak 6'9 So.
Van Cameron Davis 6'5 So.

A bunch of options off the bench including Jalen Sullinger, Giovanni Santiago and Chris Payton.

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - RamyEMU - 02-12-2023 09:54 AM

Despite our multitude of disagreements, I do appreciate how informatively you start off these game week threads, ‘79!

I am expecting 2 losses this week. Akron is going to be playing especially hard to snap their 2 game losing streak when we face them at home. And @Kent St is almost certainly not going to happen.

(Waiting for the final two weeks, where EMU might be able to grab 2 or 3 wins in their final four games. But it will be a moot point as the season will be over by then, if not already)

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - Miggy - 02-12-2023 10:57 AM

(02-12-2023 09:54 AM)RamyEMU Wrote:  Despite our multitude of disagreements, I do appreciate how informatively you start off these game week threads, ‘79!

I am expecting 2 losses this week. Akron is going to be playing especially hard to snap their 2 game losing streak when we face them at home. And @Kent St is almost certainly not going to happen.

(Waiting for the final two weeks, where EMU might be able to grab 2 or 3 wins in their final four games. But it will be a moot point as the season will be over by then, if not already)

A game's outcome is so unpredictable. There's no doubt that EMU is capable of being a top MAC scoring team. They just need to play defense correctly. As Bates and other bigs should be able to guard the rim and perimeter defenders the three-point line. One is just waiting for that to finally happen.

I just hope the players just don't quit. Sure Heath will do everything possible to insure that doesn't happen.

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - emu79 - 02-12-2023 03:34 PM

If you have figured it out by now, its a decent strategy where EMU is predicted to lose to take EMU and the points. That of course depends on the number of points given but it works 70% of the time.

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - emu79 - 02-12-2023 03:38 PM

(02-12-2023 09:54 AM)RamyEMU Wrote:  Despite our multitude of disagreements, I do appreciate how informatively you start off these game week threads, ‘79!

I'm just waiting to see how bad the train wreck at the end of this season is and where it fits in the history of EMU basketball. I hope we get 2-3 more wins. But even with 3 more wins we will end with a worse record that last year's team. I thought at the end of last year we at least a decent foundation to build on. I thought we brought guys on this team to take us to the next level. We are back to what foundation will have to build on for next year.

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - RamyEMU - 02-12-2023 10:45 PM

(02-12-2023 03:38 PM)emu79 Wrote:  

I'm just waiting to see how bad the train wreck at the end of this season is and where it fits in the history of EMU basketball. I hope we get 2-3 more wins. But even with 3 more wins we will end with a worse record that last year's team. I thought at the end of last year we at least a decent foundation to build on. I thought we brought guys on this team to take us to the next level. We are back to what foundation will have to build on for next year.

I agree, it will be historically bad season regardless of the number of wins in this final stretch. Especially given the talent. Can’t imagine we are bringing in any impact players next year given how this year went. And might have some players transfer out- hopefully most stay. I do think Coach Heath will need to change up his schemes and approach next year. More college-style and less pro-style might do wonders for these players. That and hope we get some sophomore leaps and/or continued improvement from the frontcourt.

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - RamyEMU - 02-12-2023 10:59 PM

(02-12-2023 10:57 AM)Miggy Wrote:  

A game's outcome is so unpredictable. There's no doubt that EMU is capable of being a top MAC scoring team. They just need to play defense correctly. As Bates and other bigs should be able to guard the rim and perimeter defenders the three-point line. One is just waiting for that to finally happen.

I just hope the players just don't quit. Sure Heath will do everything possible to insure that doesn't happen.

You are correct, the game’s outcomes can be unpredictable- especially given the improvement over the last 6 games. So that is why they play the games. I hope I am wrong. But.. we’ll see.

I hope Noah shoots more in the next couple games. I felt he picked up the pace since the NIU game, but only took 6 yesterday.

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - RamyEMU - 02-12-2023 11:05 PM

I agree with 79’s post in a different thread that Billingsley is our best option for center- particularly defensively. He missed the Buffalo game altogether, and only had 5 minutes in yesterdays Toledo game. Does anyone have any insight into that? Health? Or still playing around with the rotation? Or is Geeter still Coach Heath’s number one choice?

I will say that Golson got 3 blocks over the last couple games, and only 1 all season prior to that. So hoping that trend continues.

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - Luckeyone - 02-13-2023 05:01 AM

(02-12-2023 10:59 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  

You are correct, the game’s outcomes can be unpredictable- especially given the improvement over the last 6 games. So that is why they play the games. I hope I am wrong. But.. we’ll see.

I hope Noah shoots more in the next couple games. I felt he picked up the pace since the NIU game, but only took 6 yesterday.

Noah only got 6 shots because of selfish play by his teammates. The ball stopped moving once he initiated the offense and he never saw it again. I have to believe Farrakhan is an extremely frustrated player. So Emoni will be gone and I predict others will leave too. Unfortunately the ones we want to stay will leave and vice versa.

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - emu steve - 02-13-2023 12:35 PM

Acuff was MAC player of week.

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - RamyEMU - 02-13-2023 02:37 PM

(02-13-2023 12:35 PM)emu steve Wrote:  Acuff was MAC player of week.

I saw that. Congrats, TyCuff!!
https://mobile.twitter.com/MACSports/status/1625171352519835648

The guy is on fire the last 4 games: 29 (Ohio), 18 (Ball St), 35 (Buffalo), and 36 points (Toledo)

It took him a while to get this point. He was decent all year, but not quite the former “Mr Basketball runner up” we were hoping for. Happy for him that he has found his rhythm. And hope he keeps it up! (for the next 2 years, lol)

Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - TheWoodenNickle - 02-13-2023 07:09 PM

Eastern is an 8.5 pt underdog. Sounds about right. This game is a helluva opportunity to make some noise.

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - RamyEMU - 02-13-2023 07:24 PM

(02-13-2023 05:01 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(02-12-2023 10:59 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  

Noah only got 6 shots because of selfish play by his teammates. The ball stopped moving once he initiated the offense and he never saw it again. I have to believe Farrakhan is an extremely frustrated player. So Emoni will be gone and I predict others will leave too. Unfortunately the ones we want to stay will leave and vice versa.

I agree, I would expect Noah Farrakhan to be extremely frustrated as well. Though more for how the season has panned out then for shot distribution. I am listing the per minute shot distribution of our Big 3 below- I would expect all three should be at about 25% of the shots, and the remaining 25% to the rest of the team. I think Noah’s share is where it should be.
Noah had had a tendency all season to shoot less if his shot isn’t falling. But in yesterdays Toledo game he was 3/6 so should have kept shooting. Maybe teammates took too many as you are suggesting, but that would be an aberration specific to last nights game, in my opinion.

% Shots Per Minutes
Emoni 31%
Noah 25%
TyCuff 22%

Regardless, I have some sense that Noah is going to want to “hardship” to an east coast school given how dismal this season has gone. This is total speculation on my part, no basis to say this other than a hunch. So I do agree with you there. I very much hope we are wrong.

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - RamyEMU - 02-13-2023 07:34 PM

(02-13-2023 07:09 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Eastern is an 8.5 pt underdog. Sounds about right. This game is a helluva opportunity to make some noise.

Hoping they do. Listing the remaining schedules of those competing for the 8th seed. EMU’s is by far the hardest. EMU plays 3 of the top 4 seeds in that stretch. So will HAVE to make some noise by beating 1 or 2 of them. Not expecting it though, I am taking the points.

BGSU (4-8): VsCMU, VsToledo, @Miami, VsKent, VsEMU, @Ohio

CMU (4-8): @BGSU, VsOhio, @Buffalo, VsNIU, VsToledo, @WMU

EMU (3-9): VsAkron, @Kent, VsBallSt, VsWMU, @BGSU, @NIU

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - Miggy - 02-14-2023 10:49 AM

In every game that Emoni has scored 30 plus points has resulted in EMU losses. Maybe, just maybe, he should not be taking EMU's most fga's. As he's not shooting a high FG percentage and with more touches, more turnovers occur.

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - emu79 - 02-14-2023 11:16 AM

(02-13-2023 07:09 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Eastern is an 8.5 pt underdog. Sounds about right. This game is a helluva opportunity to make some noise.

And some money.

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - Miggy - 02-14-2023 07:55 PM

Finally good man to man extended defense in the half-court and doubling inside. Result was low-scoring by Akron and awful three-point shooting. Akron only made 3-three's. Can't complain when EMU holds Akron. to 29-points. Should have played man to man extended defense all season.

Got in a little trouble when EMU went to zone.

Emoni should set-up in the high and low post and go to the hoop. Must glimpse inside to see if he has a path or pull up up for jumper or needs to step around defender. He doesn't glimpse at me all. He should stop jacking-up contested three's from deep.

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - RamyEMU - 02-14-2023 08:00 PM

Not a bad half defensively. But horrible offensively. Emoni is cold for a second night in a row- looks real frustrated. Noah is looking decentwith 4/8 shooting, as well Billingsley is 2/2. Billingsley has got to be our main center, clearly imo, as he had a couple nice defensive plays as well. Though Geeter had a couple nice defensive plays too. So defense has been decent. But the big difference again is 25-16 rebounding advantage… at the half EMU down 29-20 to Akron.

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - Miggy - 02-14-2023 08:05 PM

(02-14-2023 08:00 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  Not a bad half defensively. But horrible offensively. Emoni is cold for a second night in a row- looks real frustrated. Noah is looking decentwith 4/8 shooting, as well Billingsley is 2/2. Billingsley has got to be our main center, clearly imo, as he had a couple nice defensive plays as well. Though Geeter had a couple nice defensive plays too. So defense has been decent. But the big difference again is 25-16 rebounding advantage… at the half EMU down 29-20 to Akron.

No blocking out.

RE: Game Week 2/14 Home Akron and 2/17 at Kent State - RamyEMU - 02-14-2023 08:19 PM

(02-14-2023 08:05 PM)Miggy Wrote:  
(02-14-2023 08:00 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  Not a bad half defensively. But horrible offensively. Emoni is cold for a second night in a row- looks real frustrated. Noah is looking decentwith 4/8 shooting, as well Billingsley is 2/2. Billingsley has got to be our main center, clearly imo, as he had a couple nice defensive plays as well. Though Geeter had a couple nice defensive plays too. So defense has been decent. But the big difference again is 25-16 rebounding advantage… at the half EMU down 29-20 to Akron.

No blocking out.

I definitely agree. But I also think there is little anticipation on where the ball is going on the rebound. I see this lack of anticipation on the defense at times as well- again particularly with the frontcourt. Think they will learn in time.