CSNbbs
Men's Basketball - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: Men's Basketball (/thread-961907.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Men's Basketball - emu79 - 12-19-2022 03:57 AM

No the concession stands aren't any better than during football season. In fact despite more fans yesterday there were two less stands open on the visitors side. I can remember taking my kids when they were younger and there actual half time entertainment like dog shows, etc. And what about promos? One game before Christmas everyone got green Santa stockings. Men's basketball revenue should be greatly increased this season and we are still playing it cheap except now they check my wife's purse before we go through the gate.

RE: Men's Basketball - emu steve - 12-19-2022 05:36 AM

(12-19-2022 03:57 AM)emu79 Wrote:  No the concession stands aren't any better than during football season. In fact despite more fans yesterday there were two less stands open on the visitors side. I can remember taking my kids when they were younger and there actual half time entertainment like dog shows, etc. And what about promos? One game before Christmas everyone got green Santa stockings. Men's basketball revenue should be greatly increased this season and we are still playing it cheap except now they check my wife's purse before we go through the gate.

Was EMU the only sports venue NOT to check purses???

RE: Men's Basketball - emu79 - 12-19-2022 06:52 AM

(12-19-2022 05:36 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(12-19-2022 03:57 AM)emu79 Wrote:  No the concession stands aren't any better than during football season. In fact despite more fans yesterday there were two less stands open on the visitors side. I can remember taking my kids when they were younger and there actual half time entertainment like dog shows, etc. And what about promos? One game before Christmas everyone got green Santa stockings. Men's basketball revenue should be greatly increased this season and we are still playing it cheap except now they check my wife's purse before we go through the gate.

Steve that is a minor point. Fact is sports is entertainment. These complaints were raised during the football season. At least the Convo has decent restrooms and no water leaks

RE: Men's Basketball - emu steve - 12-19-2022 06:55 AM

(12-19-2022 06:52 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(12-19-2022 05:36 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Steve that is a minor point. Fact is sports is entertainment. These complaints were raised during the football season. At least the Convo has decent restrooms and no water leaks

I don't have enough info to make an intelligent comment, but with school out who knows what their access to student employment is?

Don't a lot of students work those concession stands?

Unusual for us to have a 'big' crowd for a game while school is not in session.

RE: Men's Basketball - Bob Wickersham - 12-19-2022 06:56 AM

The only entertainment I care about is good, solid basketball and a loud pep band. Overpriced concessions, meh. I can take it or leave it. Just win, baby.

RE: Men's Basketball - emu79 - 12-19-2022 08:21 AM

(12-19-2022 06:56 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  The only entertainment I care about is good, solid basketball and a loud pep band. Overpriced concessions, meh. I can take it or leave it. Just win, baby.

Our concessions pricing is fine Bob for what it is. They were out of some items yesterday. Yes I understand students were on break but the concession service issues are there whether they are or not on break. We should many more season tickets with Bates and we are still playing it cheap.

RE: Men's Basketball - Luckeyone - 12-19-2022 09:11 AM

We have no EMU apparel on sale at the George Gervin Arena? Why? I brought some friends who wanted to buy some EMU sweatshirts but Nada. Don’t we want to advertise our school???

RE: Men's Basketball - emu79 - 12-19-2022 12:00 PM

(12-19-2022 09:11 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  We have no EMU apparel on sale at the George Gervin Arena? Why? I brought some friends who wanted to buy some EMU sweatshirts but Nada. Don’t we want to advertise our school???

Pre pandemic they did sell apparel inside the arena. I don't know why they stopped

RE: Men's Basketball - emu steve - 12-19-2022 12:07 PM

(12-19-2022 12:00 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(12-19-2022 09:11 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  We have no EMU apparel on sale at the George Gervin Arena? Why? I brought some friends who wanted to buy some EMU sweatshirts but Nada. Don’t we want to advertise our school???

Pre pandemic they did sell apparel inside the arena. I don't know why they stopped

I thought I had heard something a while ago but forgot. Lot of these questions should be addressed to EMU sports media relations.

A poster MAY get information here, but few here have inside connections with the athletic department.

One can Tweet to or emial Scott or Greg Steiner.

RE: Men's Basketball - Jerry Weaver - 12-19-2022 05:10 PM

(12-19-2022 12:07 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

I thought I had heard something a while ago but forgot. Lot of these questions should be addressed to EMU sports media relations.

A poster MAY get information here, but few here have inside connections with the athletic department.

I had a conversation with the woman that operated the apparel store before it disappeared. The business was hers, EMU has nothing to do with it other than providing space and perhaps collecting royalties.

RE: Men's Basketball - emu79 - 12-19-2022 06:13 PM

(12-19-2022 12:07 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

People have emailed Scott about the football concession issue.

RE: Men's Basketball - EMU 83 - 12-19-2022 06:30 PM

They have been selling beer in that space for the last couple games. (They also had a TV there yesterday with the Lion's game on, we were screaming louder than the fans inside the arena!)

RE: Men's Basketball - Jerry Weaver - 12-19-2022 06:47 PM

(12-19-2022 06:30 PM)EMU 83 Wrote:  

They have been selling beer in that space for the last couple games. (They also had a TV there yesterday with the Lion's game on, we were screaming louder than the fans inside the arena!)

You are indeed on point. That said, the Gervin is hardly lacking for unused space.

RE: Men's Basketball - emussuperfan - 12-19-2022 07:04 PM

The lack of sales. It wasn't making money. 07-coffee3

RE: Men's Basketball - Jerry Weaver - 12-19-2022 07:36 PM

(12-19-2022 07:04 PM)emussuperfan Wrote:  

I so HATE that coffee emoji, it has become the universal signal for an idiotic and seemingly sanctimonious comment. Maybe that is just me.

If profitability was our sole objective here, why in the world would we even have a basketball program? Financially it is huge loser! Get rid of it. Simple yet stupid.

Now on to a more reasoned viewpoint. EMU knew crowds would be bigger this year due to the Bates signing and the resulting increase in season ticket sales. One might expect they would attempt to capitalize on such with increased concessions and yes,
merchandise sales. The EMU world changed when Emoni Bates signed, the Gervin Arena, however, did not. I'm with Lucky on this one.

RE: Men's Basketball - masttg - 12-19-2022 08:25 PM

(12-19-2022 07:36 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

I so HATE that coffee emoji, it has become the universal signal for an idiotic and seemingly sanctimonious comment. Maybe that is just me.

If profitability was our sole objective here, why in the world would we even have a basketball program? Financially it is huge loser! Get rid of it. Simple yet stupid.

Now on to a more reasoned viewpoint. EMU knew crowds would be bigger this year due to the Bates signing and the resulting increase in season ticket sales. One might expect they would attempt to capitalize on such with increased concessions and yes,
merchandise sales. The EMU world changed when Emoni Bates signed, the Gervin Arena, however, did not. I'm with Lucky on this one.
Yes. Even if just a pair of tables with 4 items also available in the bookstore.

RE: Men's Basketball - emu steve - 12-19-2022 09:05 PM

I think we need to remember, at least what I think it is,

I assume an individual rents the space from EMU and makes a business decision as to the viability of that business.

Wasn't that 'business' shut down before Emoni got here?

P.S. I buy my EMU stuff online. Can buy directly thru EMU or through other websites.

RE: Men's Basketball - EMU 83 - 12-19-2022 09:45 PM

Nailed it Jerry. Eastern has new faces in the stands brought on by having Bates fall in to our lap. Yesterday, I saw a lot of young fans in attendance, and Eastern has the opportunity to get these fans to come back. We all agree that the product on the court is why we go to games, however, the overall game experience increases the odds these fans return.

RE: Men's Basketball - emu steve - 12-20-2022 06:29 AM

https://www.bkstr.com/easternmichiganstore/shop/sweatshirts-men
Don't EMU fans buy their stuff online and students at the student union bookstore.

My take we need to know a lot more about concessions, sales of merchandise at the arena or Rynearson, etc. to have an intelligent discussion.

I assume the standard practice is for EMU to rent space in the Student Union to Barnes and Noble which operates a business there. I know very little (actually nothing) about how EMU handles concessions at Rynearson and GG GA Center. Is it run as part of a contract for EMU food service across campus? Does EMU athletics have anything to do with it? Is it like EMU parking which is run by a third party?

RE: Men's Basketball - masttg - 12-20-2022 12:54 PM

Yes concessions play a role in the relatively new campus food service contract. But, like parking, EMU gets to dictate many of the policies in these contracts. The companies then enact and, presumably, profit from the service.