CSNbbs
Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster (/thread-960974.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - Luckeyone - 12-04-2022 04:38 PM

As much hope as all of us had for this season we have all learned that basketball takes effort and scheme. We have neither!

On offense, we try to get in 3 point shooting contests and have 0 low post or paint presence.

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's - 12-04-2022 04:53 PM

(12-04-2022 04:38 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  As much hope as all of us had for this season we have all learned that basketball takes effort and scheme. We have neither!

On offense, we try to get in 3 point shooting contests and have 0 low post or paint presence.
This is why you never hire a coach with a losing record after 15 years coaching! Heath never has been a winner! We look like A AAU team, not A D1 basketball team! Zero defense! Heath career record is 181-228 coaching at Arkansas, S Florida, and EMU! He has 5 winning seasons, and 10 losing seasons as a head coach!

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - Bob Wickersham - 12-04-2022 05:15 PM

(12-04-2022 04:53 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  
(12-04-2022 04:38 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  As much hope as all of us had for this season we have all learned that basketball takes effort and scheme. We have neither!

This is why you never hire a coach with a losing record after 15 years coaching! Heath never has been a winner! We look like A AAU team, not A D1 basketball team! Zero defense! Heath career record is 181-228 coaching at Arkansas, S Florida, and EMU! He has 5 winning seasons, and 10 losing seasons as a head coach!
Are you forgetting that he took Kent State to the Elite 8???

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's - 12-04-2022 05:18 PM

(12-04-2022 05:15 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

Bob, He 1000 percent inherited that team! One season he was at Kent St!

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - Bob Wickersham - 12-04-2022 05:23 PM

(12-04-2022 05:18 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  
(12-04-2022 05:15 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

Bob, He 1000 percent inherited that team! One season he was at Kent St!
Beginner's luck? Damn! I want that kind of luck! Wikipedia:

Heath got his first collegiate head coach job at Kent State in 2002. Under his guidance, the Golden Flashes finished with a 30–6 record that year and won the Mid-American Conference regular-season and tournament titles. They then came within a victory of reaching the Final Four before falling to Indiana at the South Regional finals of the NCAA tournament.

Along the way, Kent set school and MAC records for wins (30), breaking the record of 29 set by Ball State in 1989; became the first MAC team to reach the Elite Eight since Ohio University in 1964; recorded a league-record 21-game winning streak, including a 17–1 mark in conference play; beat three ranked teams in the NCAA Tournament, including No. 20 Oklahoma State, 69–61, No. 8 University of Alabama, 71–58, and No. 9 University of Pittsburgh, 78–73 in overtime; went 12–0 at home with an average attendance of 4,928, Kent's best since 1970; led the MAC in scoring defense (64.0 ppg), scoring margin (+11.9 ppg), field goal percentage defense (.418), rebounding margin (+5.0 rpg) and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.24) while also ranking second in three-point field goal percentage defense (.326) and turnover margin (+2.78); and suffered its five regular season losses by a total of 15 points.

Individually, Heath's 30 wins ties for the third-most by a first-year head coach in NCAA Division I history with John Warren of Oregon (1945). Only Bill Guthridge of North Carolina (34 in 1998) and Bill Hodges of Indiana State (33 in 1979) won more. The Detroit native was also voted the MAC Coach of the Year and named the national Rookie Coach of the Year by both CBSSportsline.com and CollegeInsider.com

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - dansplaining - 12-04-2022 05:48 PM

stan heath was a good hire - the team just isnt coming together right now. i believe the coaches will settle this down and get it right before conference season.

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - holybovine - 12-04-2022 05:49 PM

They don’t play like a team. Whether or not they decide to do so isn’t up to Heath. It’s up to the players.

Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - TheWoodenNickle - 12-04-2022 08:15 PM

The absence of and defensive presence in the paint is a killer. The street ball offense doesn't help either.

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - emu79 - 12-05-2022 04:42 AM

Headlines Bates scores fill in blank and leads EMU in scoring. EMU loses game. Rinse and repeat. We will win games when the other team has an off shooting night and both Noah and Bates are hot. See FIU game as good example. As the commenter said this team doesn't play defense because it believes it can outscore the other team. Its not a disaster and the ship may right itself by conference play. We shall see.

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - emu steve - 12-05-2022 05:00 AM

(12-05-2022 04:42 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Headlines Bates scores fill in blank and leads EMU in scoring. EMU loses game. Rinse and repeat. We will win games when the other team has an off shooting night and both Noah and Bates are hot. See FIU game as good example. As the commenter said this team doesn't play defense because it believes it can outscore the other team. Its not a disaster and the ship may right itself by conference play. We shall see.

And I think a lot of us were naive that Emoni and Noah could lead a team as green as their jerseys.

That front court (PF/C) is green, green, green. Most are really not much more than freshmen. Some redshirts frosh. Some played limited minutes as frosh.

This team should get better but when and how TBD.

I don't see us beating teams with strong post games. Maybe, as '79 suggests, we can simply out scores some teams.

One note about hoops theory: Watched TWO games yesterday (besides the Lions game). Both EMU and the Washington Wizards fell in love with the 3 ball and it wasn't falling. So they shot more to catch up. The opponents went inside and killed them with the high percentage shot. Long rebounds and the defense doesn't get set up leading to easy buckets at the other end.

I think Justin on the webcast was making that point (so I heard it in a college and NBA game yesterday) over and over again.

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - emu steve - 12-05-2022 05:09 AM

At least the last part of the Wizards / Lakers game was fantastic. As exciting a sequence of NBA hoops as I can remember. And LeBron was lollygagging on defense leading to a dunk.

https://twitter.com/NBCSWizards/status/1599573988933791745?s=20&t=lpvcbL8S2C5dfReyooiCAA

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - Bob Wickersham - 12-05-2022 07:31 AM

Reality is hitting hard. I am coming to terms with the fact that this team is probably not going to get there. Unlike Superfraud, I take no delight in this disappointing season. This is bad for the university on a number of levels. A missed opportunity.

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - EdifiedVoyage6 - 12-05-2022 08:30 AM

(12-04-2022 05:48 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  stan heath was a good hire - the team just isnt coming together right now. i believe the coaches will settle this down and get it right before conference season.

Thank You
This is exactly what is happening
Where ever these guys were they were always the number 1
And now they aren't not that #1 they have to realize that
We will turn this thing around

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - RamyEMU - 12-05-2022 10:54 AM

(12-05-2022 07:31 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Reality is hitting hard. I am coming to terms with the fact that this team is probably not going to get there. Unlike Superfraud, I take no delight in this disappointing season. This is bad for the university on a number of levels. A missed opportunity.

I agree with BobW here. This might even be beyond a missed opportunity. Emoni Bates is performing offensively as well as we could have hoped for and he is doing so sharing the ball with his teammates- Noah (122) and Tyson (100) have comparable shot attempts to Emoni (132). Honestly, if Emoni wanted to be a selfish player, he could be averaging 30+. He is leading the team in rebounds (6.8 rpg) and played harder defense than anyone else on the team at least during yesterday’s FAU game.

My point is not to glorify Emoni, my point is to say what future recruit is going to ever want to play for a team/coach that can’t even come close to a reasonable record despite having a player of Emoni’s level of talent, work ethic, AND UNSELFISH CHARACTER. If this season holds as is, will be really bad for the program’s near/medium term future. I am not being doom and gloom, I just don’t see any indication of a potential turn around as of yet… Reality setting in.

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - emu79 - 12-05-2022 11:15 AM

(12-05-2022 10:54 AM)RamyEMU Wrote:  
(12-05-2022 07:31 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Reality is hitting hard. I am coming to terms with the fact that this team is probably not going to get there. Unlike Superfraud, I take no delight in this disappointing season. This is bad for the university on a number of levels. A missed opportunity.

I agree with BobW here. This might even be beyond a missed opportunity. Emoni Bates is performing offensively as well as we could have hoped for and he is doing so sharing the ball with his teammates- Noah (122) and Tyson (100) have comparable shot attempts to Emoni (132). Honestly, if Emoni wanted to be a selfish player, he could be averaging 30+. He is leading the team in rebounds (6.8 rpg) and played harder defense than anyone else on the team at least during yesterday’s FAU game.

My point is not to glorify Emoni, my point is to say what future recruit is going to ever want to play for a team/coach that can’t even come close to a reasonable record despite having a player of Emoni’s level of talent, work ethic, AND UNSELFISH CHARACTER. If this season holds as is, will be really bad for the program’s near/medium term future. I am not being doom and gloom, I just don’t see any indication of a potential turn around as of yet… Reality setting in.

Are we watching the same team? You fail to mention items like the 3 turnovers he had against San Diego or when he keeps hoisting threes and missing them. And where is he helping on the defensive side of the ball? Again we will win when the other team has an off night shooting and both Bates and Noah are hitting on all cylinders. I said this before and say it again this team last year at this time was playing a better all round basketball than they are now and against an better schedule. Let's hope they find the formula to make it work this year.

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - emussuperfan - 12-05-2022 11:32 AM

Oh bob you're such a silly. Where have I taken delight in the teams loses?

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - RamyEMU - 12-05-2022 03:54 PM

(12-05-2022 11:15 AM)emu79 Wrote:  

Are we watching the same team? You fail to mention items like the 3 turnovers he had against San Diego or when he keeps hoisting threes and missing them. And where is he helping on the defensive side of the ball? Again we will win when the other team has an off night shooting and both Bates and Noah are hitting on all cylinders. I said this before and say it again this team last year at this time was playing a better all round basketball than they are now and against an better schedule. Let's hope they find the formula to make it work this year.

Read my comment. My reference to Emoni’s defense was specifically about yesterdays game: “ played harder defense than anyone else on the team at least during yesterday’s FAU game. “

2.3 turnovers a game when everyone is gunning for you? Seen much worse.

Hoisting up threes and missing them? Emoni is shooting 37%.

There are so many problems on this team. I just don’t think Emoni is one of them. Conversely, he has been one of the few bright spots and a rare/exceptional bright spot at that. You call me a “fanboy”, but I have no idea why you are so hard on one single player- especially that player.

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's - 12-05-2022 04:13 PM

(12-05-2022 03:54 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  

Read my comment. My reference to Emoni’s defense was specifically about yesterdays game: “ played harder defense than anyone else on the team at least during yesterday’s FAU game. “

There are so many problems on this team. I just don’t think Emoni is one of them. Conversely, he has been one of the few bright spots and a rare/exceptional bright spot at that. You call me a “fanboy”, but I have no idea why you are so hard on one single player- especially that player.
RamyEMU, I couldn't agree more! Bates is averaging 22 pts, 7 rbs a game, and is shooting 45 percent from 2 and 37 percent from 3! Without him we're much worse! Heath has turned EMU basketball into an AAU/G League team! We play absolutely zero defense, and don't rebound very well either! We were dreaming about winning the MAC!!!!!!!! I sure hope by January 3rd, we decide to run an offense, other then one on one, play a lick of defense, and start rebounding! Bates is only here for ONE season!

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - Luckeyone - 12-06-2022 05:51 AM

Coach Heath , his staff and players should watch Kent St vs #1 Houston to learn how to coach and play defense. The mentality of our 5 will stop the ball from scoring is a beauty to watch. Great weakside and help defense and boxing out for rebounds. Kent wins on neutral floor.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=__64GnfcBms

RE: Men’s Basketball Is A Disaster - emu79 - 12-06-2022 12:57 PM

(12-05-2022 04:13 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  
(12-05-2022 03:54 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  

RamyEMU, I couldn't agree more! Bates is averaging 22 pts, 7 rbs a game, and is shooting 45 percent from 2 and 37 percent from 3! Without him we're much worse! Heath has turned EMU basketball into an AAU/G League team! We play absolutely zero defense, and don't rebound very well either! We were dreaming about winning the MAC!!!!!!!! I sure hope by January 3rd, we decide to run an offense, other then one on one, play a lick of defense, and start rebounding! Bates is only here for ONE season!

Well if Bates isn't the problem he certainly hasn't been the solution so far to a winning program this season.