CSNbbs
Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? (/thread-960233.html)

Pages: 1 2

Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - DawgNBama - 11-26-2022 06:10 PM

What is soooo good about the International Monetary Fund, Klaus Schwab (who reminds me of Adolf Hitler!!!!), and George Soros?? Why is unlimited immigration and completely open borders good??? I see nothing but death, destruction, and tyranny, but I am definitely willing to listen to any and all points to the contrary. Yes, Redwingtom, I will even listen to you if you can point out three good things about globalism. I am not changing my mind, but I am willing to listen.

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - Gamenole - 11-26-2022 08:02 PM

Globalism isn't inherently bad, and some degree of it is essential given the interconnected world we find ourselves in due to modern transportation and communications. The only alternative is nationalism, which all nations must consider to some degree and yet not too much - probably North Korea is the closest we have in the world today to a purely nationalistic country, and the Hermit Kingdom isn't a superpower in any way or an easy place to even survive.

The key with globalism/nationalism is striking the balance between the two - recognizing when and where accepting international norms make your country stronger and more prosperous, versus situations where ceding some sovereign decisions make your country weaker and/or more fractious. The United Nations has certainly been a positive force for peace in the world, but it is also deeply flawed and I don't think anyone wants to see it transformed into a fully empowered "world government". Regional blocs of like-minded countries with more similar histories, goals and opportunities like the EU and NAFTA offer greater potential for countries to make some sovereign decisions in a group that is more likely to arrive at a consensus acceptable to each member country.

Your example of open borders and unrestricted immigration would be globalism gone too far, and badly out of balance with nationalism. Border controls and immigration policies vary from country to country, sometimes even from one part of a country to another. But I don't think any modern country actually has fully open borders with no restrictions on immigration, to do so would virtually ensure chaos and that country ceasing to be a functioning nation-state.

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - Owl 69/70/75 - 11-26-2022 09:33 PM

(11-26-2022 08:02 PM)Gamenole Wrote:  But I don't think any modern country actually has fully open borders with no restrictions on immigration, to do so would virtually ensure chaos and that country ceasing to be a functioning nation-state.

The USA pretty much does have fully open borders, de facto if not de jure. And "ceasing to be a nation-state" is precisely the worry.

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - banker - 11-26-2022 09:35 PM

Game, I think you are conflating globalism and operating in a global economy. Globalism essentially means a common currency with a global “Fed” setting economic policy - the EU on steroids. It means that economic activity is controlled and contributed to benefit the world as are environmental policies, wage policies, labor laws, and on down the line. It sets a hierarchy where a very small group controls everything and if your country resists they could be closed off from the rest of the world. Basically a social credit score for countries.

You can not have globalism and individual country rights. Therefore there is no defense of globalism in any country where the people desire freedom of choice.

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - TigerBlue4Ever - 11-27-2022 06:55 AM

(11-26-2022 09:35 PM)banker Wrote:  Game, I think you are conflating globalism and operating in a global economy. Globalism essentially means a common currency with a global “Fed” setting economic policy - the EU on steroids. It means that economic activity is controlled and contributed to benefit the world as are environmental policies, wage policies, labor laws, and on down the line. It sets a hierarchy where a very small group controls everything and if your country resists they could be closed off from the rest of the world. Basically a social credit score for countries.

You can not have globalism and individual country rights. Therefore there is no defense of globalism in any country where the people desire freedom of choice.

I tried to say something similar and gave up. I was in a semi-catatonic state when I read it after stuffing myself beyond capacity with our Saturday celebration of Thanksgiving.

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - Gamenole - 11-27-2022 10:56 AM

(11-26-2022 09:35 PM)banker Wrote:  Game, I think you are conflating globalism and operating in a global economy. Globalism essentially means a common currency with a global “Fed” setting economic policy - the EU on steroids. It means that economic activity is controlled and contributed to benefit the world as are environmental policies, wage policies, labor laws, and on down the line. It sets a hierarchy where a very small group controls everything and if your country resists they could be closed off from the rest of the world. Basically a social credit score for countries.

I think you're equating the basic term globalism with some features of extreme globalism that have made the word a pejorative on the right. Accepting some international rules in order to operate in a global economy IS globalism, just as a universal currency would be. But they are different degrees of the same thing, with different levels of the surrender of sovereign choices required.

Globalism is a broad term and every country who belongs to the UN, the Universal Postal Union, the World Trade Organization, etc. has signed up for some level of it. The key is striking the balance between international cooperation that makes your country more peaceful and prosperous, and surrendering so much sovereignty that your country is no longer able to make decisions that are in its best interest.

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - Eagleaidaholic - 11-27-2022 10:59 AM

Short answer: No.

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - stinkfist - 11-27-2022 11:26 AM

(11-27-2022 10:59 AM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  Short answer: No.

XACLY!

the long version would consist of more pages than the bible...

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - tanqtonic - 11-27-2022 11:44 AM

(11-26-2022 09:35 PM)banker Wrote:  Globalism essentially means a common currency with a global “Fed” setting economic policy - the EU on steroids.

Banker, would agree on some, disagree on others.

Globalism *does* mean an overarching 'super legislature' that dictates the means and methods of economic activity --- the EU on steroids.

I would disagree to a small extent on the common currency aspect.

For much of the time since Bretton Woods, the overarching global reserve currency has been the US dollar. Making the Fed as close to a de facto 'global Fed'.

I dont have an issue with the Fed, as administrator of the US dollar, being a de facto world 'Fed' since the US dollar is, and has been, the global reserve currency for my lifetime + 20 years.

I do have an issue with the other aspects (i.e. the 'world economic legislator') that are inherent in the idea of globalism.

And, the IMF *has* shown various instances of positive utility -- mainly in dealing with localized economic emergencies and as a tool when more than just localized issues pop up.

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - banker - 11-27-2022 02:05 PM

(11-27-2022 10:56 AM)Gamenole Wrote:  

I think you're equating the basic term globalism with some features of extreme globalism that have made the word a pejorative on the right. Accepting some international rules in order to operate in a global economy IS globalism, just as a universal currency would be. But they are different degrees of the same thing, with different levels of the surrender of sovereign choices required.

Globalism is a broad term and every country who belongs to the UN, the Universal Postal Union, the World Trade Organization, etc. has signed up for some level of it. The key is striking the balance between international cooperation that makes your country more peaceful and prosperous, and surrendering so much sovereignty that your country is no longer able to make decisions that are in its best interest.

Globalism is the WTO, except individual countries won’t have an opt out/opt in choice. Globalism is NATO, but countries won’t have a choice to not participate. It’s the Paris Climate Accord, with no individual consent.

Globalism is when voluntary participation in such organizations and policies becomes compulsory and lack of compliance is enforced by a governing body that does not answer to the citizens of the impacted nation.

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - stinkfist - 11-27-2022 02:46 PM

(11-27-2022 11:44 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(11-26-2022 09:35 PM)banker Wrote:  Globalism essentially means a common currency with a global “Fed” setting economic policy - the EU on steroids.

Banker, would agree on some, disagree on others.

Globalism *does* mean an overarching 'super legislature' that dictates the means and methods of economic activity --- the EU on steroids.

I would disagree to a small extent on the common currency aspect.

For much of the time since Bretton Woods, the overarching global reserve currency has been the US dollar. Making the Fed as close to a de facto 'global Fed'.

I dont have an issue with the Fed, as administrator of the US dollar, being a de facto world 'Fed' since the US dollar is, and has been, the global reserve currency for my lifetime + 20 years.

I do have an issue with the other aspects (i.e. the 'world economic legislator') that are inherent in the idea of globalism.

And, the IMF *has* shown various instances of positive utility -- mainly in dealing with localized economic emergencies and as a tool when more than just localized issues pop up.

that's one helluva synopsis!

this is where nuts zongo claims abandoning the gold standard was the inevitable 'final nail' before the next round of chaos was/is to most certainly ensue via the death of your gen pop (assumption: nationalism be damned)

for those unaware ... we live in muh Dutch Tulip landia now ... when it collapses, well, ref sig lines 5 and 6 ... are ya prepared?

the division in 'classes' is now undeniable...

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/brettonwoodsagreement.asp

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - Attackcoog - 11-27-2022 03:03 PM

(11-27-2022 10:56 AM)Gamenole Wrote:  

The current climate accords are good example of your "mainstream" globalism gone awry. How on earth is the US responsible for paying trillions in economy crushing infrastructure changes in the name of climate change---while also being require to pay billions in "environmental damages" to poorer nations---while the worlds #1 polluter (by a large margin) is not required to make any changes or pay any damages?

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - Captain Bearcat - 11-28-2022 12:10 PM

If you say that globalism is open borders and world government, then I won't defend it.

But free trade is absolutely a positive good for the world.

Free trade has a lot of benefits:

1) Increased innovation.

2) Economies of scale in production driving down cost of living for average people.

3) Each country contributes its competitive advantage. So it allows the USA to outsource low-productivity, low paying jobs and allows other countries to outsource their higher-productivity, higher-paying jobs to the USA (which is exactly what happens in reality, despite journalists' claims to the contrary).

4) In a world where English is the dominant foreign language, free trade gives American culture more influence.

5) In a world where the US dollar is the dominant foreign currency, free trade gives American-owned firms more influence and gives the US government more leverage in international relations.

6) Free trade contributes to peace. For example, fear of losing the benefits of free trade is probably the only thing that has prevented China from attacking Taiwan yet.

The downsides of free trade are the same as the downsides of capitalism: disruptive innovation can dislocate workers and make their skills outdated. This inevitably hurts some individuals. But just like with capitalism, the harm from free trade is far less than the good it produces.

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - BartlettTigerFan - 11-28-2022 12:11 PM

Well except Globalism has nothing to do with free trade.

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - Owl 69/70/75 - 11-28-2022 01:30 PM

As a libertarian populist pragmatic conservative, my foreign policy would be based around the libertarian perfecta of free trade, nonintervention, and nuclear nonproliferation.

For free trade to be truly free with fair and balanced trading arrangements, the USA would need to implement a national consumption tax (VAT/GST). There is just no other way to resolve that.

Nonintervention is not isolation. Switzerland is noninterventionist, North Korea is isolationist. Be Switzerland.

I'm not sure we can ever achieve nuclear nonproliferation. I think my policy would be if you really, really want nuke weapons we probably cannot stop you. But if you ever use one, or attempt to use one, or allow one to enter the hands of a rogue state or terror organization, we reserve the right to treat that as a nuke attack on the USA and respond in kind. And unless you want to bear the brunt of the entire USA nuclear arsenal, you need to behave.

And as far as nationalism versus globalism, nationalism all the way.

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - Fo Shizzle - 11-28-2022 08:09 PM

(11-28-2022 01:30 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  As a libertarian populist pragmatic conservative, my foreign policy would be based around the libertarian perfecta of free trade, nonintervention, and nuclear nonproliferation.

For free trade to be truly free with fair and balanced trading arrangements, the USA would need to implement a national consumption tax (VAT/GST). There is just no other way to resolve that.

Nonintervention is not isolation. Switzerland is noninterventionist, North Korea is isolationist. Be Switzerland.

I'm not sure we can ever achieve nuclear nonproliferation. I think my policy would be if you really, really want nuke weapons we probably cannot stop you. But if you ever use one, or attempt to use one, or allow one to enter the hands of a rogue state or terror organization, we reserve the right to treat that as a nuke attack on the USA and respond in kind. And unless you want to bear the brunt of the entire USA nuclear arsenal, you need to behave.

And as far as nationalism versus globalism, nationalism all the way.

While we all know the bad example of nationalism(and its used as a scare tactic)...its the exception to the rule. There is nothing what so ever wrong with national self interest.

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - umbluegray - 11-28-2022 08:45 PM

"You will own nothing and be happy."
- Unelected globalists

The very statement, "you will own nothing", is telling. No private ownership. Of anything. This is one of the core tenants of communism.

Manifesto of the Communist Party
Chapter II. Proletarians and Communists
In this sense, the theory of the Communists may be summed up in the single sentence: Abolition of private property.

Globalism, that is the form of globalism being pushed by the elite, is nothing more than the replacement of the nation states with a global state under communism.

This should be more than enough to persuade people that this is an evil movement.

But as a Christian I've been expecting it ever since I read Revelation.

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - banker - 11-28-2022 11:18 PM

Hears Nationalism is bad - sees all countries display national pride during World Cup and Olympics.

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - TheMackAttack - 11-29-2022 12:06 AM

(11-28-2022 11:18 PM)banker Wrote:  Hears Nationalism is bad - sees all countries display national pride during World Cup and Olympics.

Patriotism and nationalism are not the same thing. Arab nationalism, for example, explicitly views the United States as the archnemesis of the movement and seeks to end it's influence on the world. Nationalism is not just about supporting the in group, it's about harming the out group for no particular reason other than the fact that they are the out group.

RE: Can anyone, Democrat or Republican, defend globalism itself to me?? - 450bench - 11-29-2022 07:53 AM

There isn’t an explanation that makes sense