CSNbbs
MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season (/thread-959197.html)

Pages: 1 2

MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - BeatWestern! - 11-11-2022 03:37 PM

https://getsomemaction.com/news/2022/11/11/mac-to-suspend-sponsoring-mens-soccer-following-2022-season.aspx

Not sure where the four MAC teams will land, perhaps the MVC.

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - WesternDave - 11-11-2022 04:00 PM

WMU, BGSU, and NIU all have joined the MVC. Akron looking elsewhere I'm assuming.

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - Schadenfreude - 11-11-2022 04:38 PM

This is too bad. I thought the MAC would find another affiliate, but I guess not.

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - BeatWestern! - 11-11-2022 04:52 PM

(11-11-2022 04:00 PM)WesternDave Wrote:  WMU, BGSU, and NIU all have joined the MVC. Akron looking elsewhere I'm assuming.

It could be that the SBC wants Akron.

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - Motown Bronco - 11-11-2022 05:07 PM

This felt inevitable. And I'm kinda glad this is happening. The MAC has been trying to plug-n-play the past few years and very little was happening, doing the desperate Chicago State affiliate, etc.

At least we will be in a more stable, robust conference moving forward.

Missouri State
Drake
Evansville
Belmont
UIC
SIUE
Bradley

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - epasnoopy - 11-11-2022 05:11 PM

MAC men's soccer has just mostly been affiliates that come and go a few years later. Goodbye MAC men's soccer...

I'd be interested to see the list of schools that placed their men's soccer in the MAC over the course of last 15-20 years.

https://niuhuskies.com/news/2022/11/11/mens-soccer-niu-mens-soccer-to-join-missouri-valley-conference.aspx

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - BruceMcF - 11-11-2022 05:22 PM

(11-11-2022 04:52 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  
(11-11-2022 04:00 PM)WesternDave Wrote:  WMU, BGSU, and NIU all have joined the MVC. Akron looking elsewhere I'm assuming.

It could be that the SBC wants Akron.

If they were able to talk their way into a higher profile soccer conference, it seems like it would have to be either the SBC or the AAC, and the geography is better with the SBC.

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - pvk75 - 11-12-2022 01:56 AM

News about Akron, from Beacon Journal, Nov. 11., posted on Yahoo!News ...

“So, what it means for Akron is that an announcement is going to be coming out [next week] on the conference we're going into as an affiliate member starting in the fall of ’23,” said Charles Guthrie, UA director of intercollegiate athletics.

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - THUNDERStruck73 - 11-13-2022 12:14 PM

I’ve heard it’s the Big East. But I would love to have Akron in the SBC.

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - BruceMcF - 11-13-2022 03:55 PM

I don't follow Big East soccer year to year, but from this year's RPI, they don't have big hitters at the top but don't have many anchors, either -- I would be interested if anyone knows if they have some elite programs that are just having a down year this year.

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - THUNDERStruck73 - 11-13-2022 05:16 PM

(11-13-2022 03:55 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  I don't follow Big East soccer year to year, but from this year's RPI, they don't have big hitters at the top but don't have many anchors, either -- I would be interested if anyone knows if they have some elite programs that are just having a down year this year.

Georgetown is a national power. Not too sure about the others but the Big East is a highly ranked conference in mens soccer. Akron would be at the geographical center of the conference.

The Sun Belt has really bolstered its conference strength with a lineup of:

Kentucky
Marshall
Georgia State
West Virginia
Coastal Carolina
Old Dominion
James Madison
South Carolina
Georgia Southern
UCF (Coming soon)

I'd love to add Akron.

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - BruceMcF - 11-13-2022 06:45 PM

(11-13-2022 05:16 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  
(11-13-2022 03:55 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  I don't follow Big East soccer year to year, but from this year's RPI, they don't have big hitters at the top but don't have many anchors, either -- I would be interested if anyone knows if they have some elite programs that are just having a down year this year.

Georgetown is a national power. Not too sure about the others but the Big East is a highly ranked conference in mens soccer. Akron would be at the geographical center of the conference.

Thanks. This year Georgetown has 27th RPI (out of 212), 4 of the Big East are in the top quarter, all but St. John's in the top half.

The Sunbelt has a higher top end, but also a lower bottom end, with four schools in the bottom half of D1, one of them in the bottom quarter.

But either (or the AAC for that matter) represent a clear upgrade on the MVC, even with WMU & Bowling Green added.

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - THUNDERStruck73 - 11-13-2022 07:21 PM

(11-13-2022 06:45 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(11-13-2022 05:16 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  

Thanks. This year Georgetown has 27th RPI (out of 212), 4 of the Big East are in the top quarter, all but St. John's in the top half.

The Sunbelt has a higher top end, but also a lower bottom end, with four schools in the bottom half of D1, one of them in the bottom quarter.

But either (or the AAC for that matter) represent a clear upgrade on the MVC, even with WMU & Bowling Green added.

Great information my friend. Thank you. Akron would be a welcome addition to the SBC, but I have a feeling its the BE or AAC. Either way, I wish them the best.

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - kreed5120 - 11-16-2022 10:19 AM

Akron is officially joining the Big East for soccer.

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - BeatWestern! - 11-16-2022 11:49 AM

The Big East is a great landing spot.

Linked below is the Akron Beacon Journal article:

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/zips/2022/11/16/big-east-conference-welcomes-akron-zips-mens-soccer-team-ncaa-tournament-midwest-division/69651420007/

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - BruceMcF - 11-16-2022 12:14 PM

Congratulations to Akron, who leave the MAC without ever taking a Wagon Wheel point in Men's Soccer*.

{*Nota Bene: All sports Wagon Wheel Challenge established 2011 (tied 5-5), Kent State last played Division I soccer in 1981.}

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - JHVMU19 - 11-16-2022 10:29 PM

(11-16-2022 12:14 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  Congratulations to Akron, who leave the MAC without ever taking a Wagon Wheel point in Men's Soccer*.

{*Nota Bene: All sports Wagon Wheel Challenge established 2011 (tied 5-5), Kent State last played Division I soccer in 1981.}

Unfortunate for the MAC - MAC was really good enough that it should have just been combined with the Big East which really is no longer “BIG” missing Pitt, WVU, UM, Syracuse, etc….

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - epasnoopy - 11-16-2022 10:42 PM

Heh, it's soccer. MVC for soccer is probably a better place for NIU. Closer opponents for us. Drake, SUIe, UIC, and Bradley are all closer to DeKalb than BG and Akron, and in the same timezone as NIU.

Akron is the only MAC school that actually invests more money and cares about that sport.

I'm guessing MAC leadership got tired of trying to find random affiliates every few years to maintain its autobid.

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - kreed5120 - 11-16-2022 10:56 PM

(11-16-2022 10:42 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Heh, it's soccer. MVC for soccer is probably a better place for NIU. Closer opponents for us. Drake, SUIe, UIC, and Bradley are all closer to DeKalb than BG and Akron, and in the same timezone as NIU.

Akron is the only MAC school that actually invests more money and cares about that sport.

I'm guessing MAC leadership got tired of trying to find random affiliates every few years to maintain its autobid.

The Big East is going to break up into divisions and play only 8 conference matches per year. I'd assume Akron will still be scheduling the other MAC teams frequently. Maybe not all 3 of them every year, but consistently 1-2 of them.

RE: MAC to Suspend Sponsoring Men's Soccer Following this Season - epasnoopy - 11-16-2022 11:10 PM

(11-16-2022 10:56 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  
(11-16-2022 10:42 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Heh, it's soccer. MVC for soccer is probably a better place for NIU. Closer opponents for us. Drake, SUIe, UIC, and Bradley are all closer to DeKalb than BG and Akron, and in the same timezone as NIU.

The Big East is going to break up into divisions and play only 8 conference matches per year. I'd assume Akron will still be scheduling the other MAC teams frequently. Maybe not all 3 of them every year, but consistently 1-2 of them.

For sure, Akron in Big East makes sense. You're probably in the middle or close to many of those schools (and same timezone as most of them) and you all care about soccer. NIU in Big East for soccer doesn't make sense. Many of those schools are not close to us (except DePaul and Marquette) and we don't care about or invest in our soccer program at the level any of those schools probably do.