CSNbbs
If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC Conference Talk (/forum-246.html)
+---- Thread: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! (/thread-957765.html)

Pages: 1 2

If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - JRsec - 10-20-2022 12:19 PM

So get out your map!

The SEC has the Flagship University in:
Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas.

In Large State Texas it holds the second flagship as well, A&M

Where Next? Look at the Northern Boundary: Virginia, North Carolina, Kansas and the second Flagship in Florida, Florida State.

If the SEC can't avoid taking Duke with UNC and Virginia then Kansas may be a bridge too far.

A few months back Warren spoke of 22 schools. Why? Division-less conferences can schedule as long as the numbers are even and he was considering how many schools of potential value could be added to the Big 10. It's odd because potentially 22 are what exist for the SEC as well.

At 20 Ideally we add: Florida State, Kansas, North Carolina, Virginia
At 20 with Duke we add: Duke, Florida State, North Carolina, Virginia

But, at 22, we add: Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Kansas, North Carolina and Virginia.

Tell me you thoughts. I am intrigued with the set of schools at 22.

What if the Big 10 added: California, Colorado, Notre Dame, Oregon, Stanford, Washington to get to 22?

What might the composite Big 12 look like?

Arizona, Arizona State, Brigham Young, Oregon State, Utah, Washington State

Baylor, Houston, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Christian, Texas Tech

Central Florida, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, N.C. State, Virginia Tech

Cincinnati, Iowa State, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia

*Wake Forest

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - OdinFrigg - 10-20-2022 04:18 PM

If I was an SEC decision-maker, I’d focus on securing the Charlotte market and the Greensboro to Winston-Salem to Raleigh population centers. North Carolina and/or NC State would deliver that best.

Next, I’d seek the regional markets of the D.C.’s southern ‘burbs (Alexandria, Falls Church, etc.), to Fredericksburg to Richmond and on to Newport News/Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Chesapeake/Tidewater region. Virginia can do that foremost.

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - murrdcu - 10-21-2022 06:30 PM

The value from basketball would have to increase substantially for Duke and Kansas to receive consideration for membership. Add Virginia’s low value and the SEC could be taking a pay hit.

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - JRsec - 10-22-2022 09:57 AM

(10-21-2022 06:30 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  The value from basketball would have to increase substantially for Duke and Kansas to receive consideration for membership. Add Virginia’s low value and the SEC could be taking a pay hit.

Kansas has the third greatest value in the Big 12 and is the second highest paid basketball program behind Kentucky. North Carolina and Duke are third and fourth. The SEC would possess the top 4 basketball programs in terms of all time wins and in terms of revenue. Should CTE ever truly damage football the SEC would be in excellent position with hoops.

You add 23 million potential viewers with Kansas, North Carolina and Virginia and all are state flagships with AAU status. And should Kansas enjoy SEC money and brand power they would essentially absorb the success Kansas State has had in football.

Nothing will change Virginia and North Carolina will remain middling in football.

Those 4 schools however will balance the entry of Texas and Oklahoma and give the SEC a balanced Top, Middle, and Bottom in football while raising the basketball profile to #1 in the nation. Baseball is solid at all 4 schools.

While I don't love Duke, they do travel with Virginia and North Carolina. What they also do is give the SEC a presence in the New York and New Jersey market where Duke is a strong basketball brand. So, they add eyes, just not on our major sport.

If the SEC was to hit the grand slam, we would drop Duke and pick up Notre Dame which would be a dagger into the center of the Big 10 audience share. I just don't see that happening.

So while I don't disagree with your sentiments. Those are 4 AAU schools, Duke being the top academic school aside from Stanford on the market. That said as disparaged as Kansas is they can be decent at football if they try and have had a history in that sport. What Kansas brings is the state of Kansas and much more of Missouri than people think. Those two truly are a pair.

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - murrdcu - 10-22-2022 08:34 PM

(10-22-2022 09:57 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(10-21-2022 06:30 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  The value from basketball would have to increase substantially for Duke and Kansas to receive consideration for membership. Add Virginia’s low value and the SEC could be taking a pay hit.

Kansas has the third greatest value in the Big 12 and is the second highest paid basketball program behind Kentucky. North Carolina and Duke are third and fourth. The SEC would possess the top 4 basketball programs in terms of all time wins and in terms of revenue. Should CTE ever truly damage football the SEC would be in excellent position with hoops.

You add 23 million potential viewers with Kansas, North Carolina and Virginia and all are state flagships with AAU status. And should Kansas enjoy SEC money and brand power they would essentially absorb the success Kansas State has had in football.

Nothing will change Virginia and North Carolina will remain middling in football.

Those 4 schools however will balance the entry of Texas and Oklahoma and give the SEC a balanced Top, Middle, and Bottom in football while raising the basketball profile to #1 in the nation. Baseball is solid at all 4 schools.

While I don't love Duke, they do travel with Virginia and North Carolina. What they also do is give the SEC a presence in the New York and New Jersey market where Duke is a strong basketball brand. So, they add eyes, just not on our major sport.

If the SEC was to hit the grand slam, we would drop Duke and pick up Notre Dame which would be a dagger into the center of the Big 10 audience share. I just don't see that happening.

So while I don't disagree with your sentiments. Those are 4 AAU schools, Duke being the top academic school aside from Stanford on the market. That said as disparaged as Kansas is they can be decent at football if they try and have had a history in that sport. What Kansas brings is the state of Kansas and much more of Missouri than people think. Those two truly are a pair.

As rumors begin to circulate about the ACC looking into unequal revenue sharing, I just wonder if the various combinations of ACC and a Big 12 school or two would add enough value to get the votes from the SEC presidents. A basketball conference with a UNC, Duke, Kansas and Kentucky would instantly make this league the basketball powerhouse.

If there is a way out of the ACC GOR, it needs to be implemented soon as the Big 12 and PAC 12 finalize their deals or else any further movements will have to wait until the next round of expiring TV contracts.

I wonder if Kansas would even consider a SEC invite. I’m not sure I’ve read anywhere that their eyes are not just fixated on a Big Ten invitation.

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - JRsec - 10-22-2022 08:50 PM

(10-22-2022 08:34 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

As rumors begin to circulate about the ACC looking into unequal revenue sharing, I just wonder if the various combinations of ACC and a Big 12 school or two would add enough value to get the votes from the SEC presidents. A basketball conference with a UNC, Duke, Kansas and Kentucky would instantly make this league the basketball powerhouse.

If there is a way out of the ACC GOR, it needs to be implemented soon as the Big 12 and PAC 12 finalize their deals or else any further movements will have to wait until the next round of expiring TV contracts.

I wonder if Kansas would even consider a SEC invite. I’m not sure I’ve read anywhere that their eyes are not just fixated on a Big Ten invitation.

More than a few Kansas posters (one a donor) tell me Kansas would absolutely consider an SEC invitation. They may prefer the Big 10 but would jump at a chance to be taken by the SEC.

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - AllTideUp - 10-22-2022 09:33 PM

There are good reasons to believe the value of basketball will go up in the not too distant future.

The major conferences are working on a structure that separates football governance from the NCAA and makes the CFP organization more influential. One of these days, probably by the end of the NCAA Tournament contract, basketball is going to come under that same structure.

Everywhere you turn, officials are talking about the need for more revenue. Part of that is to cover NIL and pay-for-play costs, but there are shrinking revenue streams in other areas as well...reduction in tax write offs and economic factors. In other words, they won't leave big money on the table even though they've been more tolerant in the past.

The reality is that the NCAA has been a blood-sucking parasite on college athletics for a long time. Their days of any real influence are over and honestly, college officials can't afford to keep supporting them with significant money. The power schools especially are going to strengthen their grip and the other FBS leagues will follow suit if possible.

And you've all probably noticed the more recent calls to expand the basketball tournament. That's all about revenue just like it always is. Basketball will get more valuable because the structure will be altered, and I hope they take steps to make the regular season more valuable too.

Anyway, adding some basketball focused schools is not a bad idea as long as they're big money programs. It'll pay off in the long term.

I also like 22...

Florida State, Clemson, UNC, Duke, Virginia, and Kansas.

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - ICThawk - 10-22-2022 10:45 PM

(10-22-2022 08:50 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(10-22-2022 08:34 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

More than a few Kansas posters (one a donor) tell me Kansas would absolutely consider an SEC invitation. They may prefer the Big 10 but would jump at a chance to be taken by the SEC.

I am sure this is correct. KU wants to be a part of the P2, just like most schools not already there do. Joining OU, UT but especially MU would be kind of like "old home week". Though KU sports lineup is not an SEC mirror, it's generally closer to SEC than B1G. It would also provide ESPN with "premier" college sports coverage September through March, all with just the SEC and ACC.
To JRSEC: (with apologies to Yul Brenner in The Ten Commandments)--:So let it be written. So let it be done.

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - Nevermoor - 10-23-2022 06:19 PM

I once thought that the SEC should go after Colorado. I was incorrect about that. Kansas would probably be better fit.

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - BePcr07 - 10-23-2022 11:09 PM

The B1G has made its bed with the movement out West. It’s likely a pretty good move that helps them land Notre Dame. Doing so, however, I think has hurt their chances at moving further South down the Atlantic coast.

B1G (16) + California, Colorado, Notre Dame, Oregon, Pittsburgh, Stanford, Syracuse, Washington
SEC (16) + Clemson, Duke, Florida St, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia
ACC (5) + Central Florida, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, Temple, Tulane, West Virginia
PAC (5) + Baylor, BYU, Iowa St, Kansas St, Oklahoma St, San Diego St, SMU, TCU, Texas Tech

B1G
Central: Colorado, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Wisconsin
Eastern: Maryland, Notre Dame, Penn St, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse
Midwest: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Purdue
Pacific: California, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington

SEC
East: Clemson, Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia
South: Alabama, Auburn, Florida St, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St
Southeast: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
Southwest: Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M

ACC
Atlantic: Boston College, North Carolina St, South Florida, Temple, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, West Virginia
Coastal: Central Florida, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Houston, Louisville, Memphis, Tulane

PAC
Central: Baylor, Iowa St, Kansas St, Oklahoma St, SMU, TCU, Texas Tech
Western: Arizona, Arizona St, BYU, Oregon St, San Diego St, Utah, Washington St

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - Saint Bulldog - 10-26-2022 11:20 AM

(10-23-2022 11:09 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  SEC

I like everything except Georgia Tech and Miami. I do not see them getting an invite to the SEC. Most post I have seen keeps adding those two but I do not believe they are the best for long term. If the SEC gets Florida State there will be no need for a third team from the Sunshine state. As a football fan I would rather have NC State, but I can understand why Duke is placed there.

As I have stated before I love the Kansas pick. They would give Mizzou a real rival and neighbor with history. They would also complement the last four additions we have/are adding. I also believe that one N.C. school and one Va school should be in the SEC. Preferably UNC and UV.

While we are dreaming: I have seen many post where people talk about the BIG coming after Mizzou or Vandy. What if the SEC were to invade the BIG 10 and grab a couple of thier schools? Who would you want and how would that affect raiding the ACC?

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - JRsec - 10-26-2022 11:31 AM

(10-26-2022 11:20 AM)Saint Bulldog Wrote:  

I like everything except Georgia Tech and Miami. I do not see them getting an invite to the SEC. Most post I have seen keeps adding those two but I do not believe they are the best for long term. If the SEC gets Florida State there will be no need for a third team from the Sunshine state. As a football fan I would rather have NC State, but I can understand why Duke is placed there.

As I have stated before I love the Kansas pick. They would give Mizzou a real rival and neighbor with history. They would also complement the last four additions we have/are adding. I also believe that one N.C. school and one Va school should be in the SEC. Preferably UNC and UV.

While we are dreaming: I have seen many post where people talk about the BIG coming after Mizzou or Vandy. What if the SEC were to invade the BIG 10 and grab a couple of thier schools? Who would you want and how would that affect raiding the ACC?

Well 2 schools in the Big 12 represented 56% of the Big 12 value. There are 2 schools in the Big 10 which represent 36% of the total value, Michigan and Ohio State. Since Michigan is deep in woke that leaves #3 which is almost 10% of the value to pair with Ohio State and that would be Penn State.

Addo Ohio State and Penn State and you still have over a quarter of the total Big 10 value in 2 schools. When those 2 are gone then #2 and #4 likely have to think about it hard, Michigan and Wisconsin.

I just don't foresee that ever happening. Ohio State and Penn State can be a pipe dream because they have other interests in common with the SEC approach. But Ohio State's roots are extremely deep in the Big 10 in spite of growing differences and concerns with off the field decisions in the Big 10.

Besides, the SEC needs its rival and they need us. If we merge or raid each other it could kill interest nationally.

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - jhawkmvp - 10-31-2022 02:07 AM

Kansas will take the first ticket offered to either the B1G or SEC. KU is the only remaining AAU school and there are only two flagship universities (KU and WVU) left in the B12. I lean to the first offer being from the SEC, now that 4 of our old conference mates are in the SEC compared to only 1 in the B1G (more schools that can vouch for you). The B1G also needs some other schools out west so that USC and UCLA are not on an island which knocks KU down a few pegs almost certainly. I don't think the B1G will offer until they go past 20; whereas, with the SEC there is a better chance of KU being in an expansion to 20, though after 20 is more likely.

The real problem for KU is who do we partner with in any conference move after MU went to the SEC and NU to the B1G a decade ago. IF OU and UT had went different ways we would have slid into the second spot with one, but since they smartly stuck together we became a third wheel. Unless the ACC falls apart or there is a PAC school like ASU/UA or CU that would interest the SEC, KU will probably have a bit of a wait.

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - Soobahk40050 - 11-03-2022 08:46 AM

21 is the number I've been advocating for a while.

FSU, Clemson, UNC, VT, and Kansas

If all "permanent rivals" were eliminated, then it would be a simple 10 one year, the other 10 the next.

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - BePcr07 - 11-04-2022 12:07 PM

(11-03-2022 08:46 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  21 is the number I've been advocating for a while.

If all "permanent rivals" were eliminated, then it would be a simple 10 one year, the other 10 the next.

I like 21. At 9 conference games:
- 4 annual opponents
- 4 biannual opponents (2 for even years, 2 for odd years)
- 3 of the other 12 every 4 years

SEC (16) + Clemson, Florida St, Kansas, North Carolina, Virginia
B1G (16) + California, Notre Dame, Oregon, Stanford, Washington

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - JRsec - 11-04-2022 12:09 PM

(11-04-2022 12:07 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(11-03-2022 08:46 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  21 is the number I've been advocating for a while.

- 4 annual opponents

I will listen to these odd number of teams theories when anyone can come up with a schedule where the schools play the same number of games in conference. I'll hang up and wait.

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - BePcr07 - 11-04-2022 01:27 PM

(11-04-2022 12:09 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

- 4 annual opponents

I will listen to these odd number of teams theories when anyone can come up with a schedule where the schools play the same number of games in conference. I'll hang up and wait.

Do you mean that all schools play the same number of games or have the same number of home-away games?

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - Porcine - 11-04-2022 08:30 PM

(11-04-2022 12:09 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

- 4 annual opponents

If the SEC grabs Kansas to go to 17, then we can play 8 then rotate the other 8.
Arkansas-Texas, Vandy, LSU, USC, Missouri, Auburn, OM, UGA
Texas-Ark, OU, FL, Kansas, MSU, Tenn, Kentucky, Aub
Vandy-Ark, OU, FL, MSU, A&M, Tenn, Kansas, Alabama
LSU-Ark, A&M, MSU, FL, Tenn, Kentucky, Missouri, Alabama
USC-Ark, Missouri, Alabama, Ole Miss, A&M, UGA, FLA
Missouri-Ark, LSU, USC, FLA, Auburn, Kansas, Ole Miss
Auburn-Ark, Texas, Missouri, Ole Miss, Alabama, A&M, Kansas, Kentucky
Ole Miss-Ark, USC, Missouri, Auburn, OU, FLA, A&M, Kentucky
UGA-Ark, USC, OU, Alabama, MSU, FLA, Kansas, Tennessee
OU-Texas, Vandy, Ole Miss, UGA, FLA, Kentucky, Alabama
FLA-Texas, Vandy, LSU, USC, Missouri, Ole Miss, OU
Kansas-Texas, Vandy, Missouri, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, A&M, Kentucky
MSU-Texas, Vandy, LSU, UGA, Tennessee, Kentucky, A&M, Alabama
Tennessee-Texas, Vandy, LSU, Kansas, MSU, Kentucky, A&M, Alabama
Kentucky-Texas, LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, OU, Kansas, MSU, Tennessee
A&M-Vandy, LSU, USC, Auburn, Ole Miss, Kansas, MSU, Tennessee, Alabama
Alabama-Vandy, LSU, USC, Auburn, OU, Kansas, MSU, Tennessee, A&M

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - DawgNBama - 11-06-2022 04:03 AM

(10-26-2022 11:20 AM)Saint Bulldog Wrote:  

I actually prefer Virginia Tech over UVa. UVa acts like a B1G school. Let them be one, and they can rekindle their old rivalry with Maryland. Virginia Tech is more of an SEC school, IMO.

RE: If You Want To Know Where The SEC Will Expand Next Then Get Out Your Map Of The USA! - Indiana Bones - 12-14-2022 08:35 AM

I get that ECU to the SEC was always a pipe dream but why was that 20 year old thread permanently closed? It was always fun to check it out from time to time. ECU can dream, right? Not only is it not an ‘Important’ thread anymore (for being culturally, historically or aesthetically significant thus earmarked for preservation) but it is now closed. RIP

https://csnbbs.com/thread-6580.html