CSNbbs
Gumbart Announces Retirement - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ASunbbs (/forum-341.html)
+---- Forum: Atlantic Sun Conference Talk (/forum-322.html)
+---- Thread: Gumbart Announces Retirement (/thread-955841.html)

Pages: 1 2

Gumbart Announces Retirement - unalions - 09-21-2022 11:19 AM

Well, I didn't see this coming.

[Image: FdMMO7OWYAMCRZd?format=jpg&name=large]

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - eku05 - 09-21-2022 11:32 AM

Wow. Congratulations to him, but that worries me. Even as our "plan" seemed to be unraveling I was always kind of like...at least we have Ted at the helm.

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - JJOHN368 - 09-21-2022 01:44 PM

(09-21-2022 11:32 AM)eku05 Wrote:  Wow. Congratulations to him, but that worries me. Even as our "plan" seemed to be unraveling I was always kind of like...at least we have Ted at the helm.

He sees the writing on the wall. I do not blame him... The conference is dead.

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - unalions - 09-21-2022 02:29 PM

(09-21-2022 01:44 PM)JJOHN368 Wrote:  
(09-21-2022 11:32 AM)eku05 Wrote:  Wow. Congratulations to him, but that worries me. Even as our "plan" seemed to be unraveling I was always kind of like...at least we have Ted at the helm.

He sees the writing on the wall. I do not blame him... The conference is dead.

The conference is certainly not dead. Now, as for football...maybe so.

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - TOPSTRAIGHT - 09-21-2022 05:36 PM

Taking the C-USA job. By retiring gets pension plus money from new gig.

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - JJOHN368 - 09-21-2022 05:39 PM

(09-21-2022 05:36 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Taking the C-USA job. By retiring gets pension plus money from new gig.

Hahaha Really?! Again, I do not blame him.. the ASUN is a sinking ship. Kennesaw needs to think about jumping off it as well.

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - lion1983 - 09-21-2022 06:24 PM

(09-21-2022 05:39 PM)JJOHN368 Wrote:  
(09-21-2022 05:36 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Taking the C-USA job. By retiring gets pension plus money from new gig.

Hahaha Really?! Again, I do not blame him.. the ASUN is a sinking ship. Kennesaw needs to think about jumping off it as well.

That's dumb....

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - TOPSTRAIGHT - 09-21-2022 10:54 PM

If the ASUN does not add a football school or better yet--two-- soon they may be absorbed or consolidate with another league IMO.

I thought Tenn Tech and Tenn St. were coming at one point but now that is looking shaky.

I know the ASUN and WAC have an alliance but still...

The Southland has made a respectable effort and comeback.

The OVC (FB) is not dead like I thought they would be.

The WAC FB looks like it will go to seven or eight (guess) teams.

Even the Big South has stabilized (sort of).

The SOCON and CAA are stable and strong.

EKU- gone at the first FBS invite

ASUN down to four at that point.

UCA and AP have a few options for other homes.

The Owls have FBS hopes.

UNA?

Of course this is the "worst case scenario" and Gumbart may have one more ace up his sleeve still yet.

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - DavidSt - 09-22-2022 02:27 PM

UIndy AD just resign as well. I wonder if Gumbart taking the AD job there to stir them to D1, and maybe help reshape the OVC with football by getting the A-Sun football schools invited to OVC?

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - lion1983 - 09-22-2022 02:40 PM

(09-22-2022 02:27 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  UIndy AD just resign as well. I wonder if Gumbart taking the AD job there to stir them to D1, and maybe help reshape the OVC with football by getting the A-Sun football schools invited to OVC?

First, I don't think APSU, or EKU will go back to the conference that did everything they could not to keep them.

Second, UNA will never go to the OVC even with an invite, the OVC burned that bridge.

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - EKUSteve - 09-22-2022 04:48 PM

(09-22-2022 02:27 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  UIndy AD just resign as well. I wonder if Gumbart taking the AD job there to stir them to D1, and maybe help reshape the OVC with football by getting the A-Sun football schools invited to OVC?

Why would EKU go back to the OVC? We burned that bridge.

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - JSUCleburneslim - 09-24-2022 10:38 AM

There is still some shake up in fbs to come some of the ASUN will get invites. Now would be a good time to be readying oneself. Asun football will likely collapse soon enough. Some may have to return to the OVC or big south.

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - TOPSTRAIGHT - 09-24-2022 08:55 PM

Are there no OVC openings? Are there no big south spots?

-- Some can't go there and some would rather die.

-- Then let them do it and decrease the surplus (of teams) population.

- Charles Dickens

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - jones682 - 09-24-2022 10:22 PM

(09-24-2022 10:38 AM)JSUCleburneslim Wrote:  There is still some shake up in fbs to come some of the ASUN will get invites. Now would be a good time to be readying oneself. Asun football will likely collapse soon enough. Some may have to return to the OVC or big south.

KSU and EKU might be the next additions to C-USA

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - unalions - 09-25-2022 11:16 AM

(09-24-2022 08:55 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Are there no OVC openings? Are there no big south spots?

- Charles Dickens

Teams have been fleeing those conferences left and right. No reason to jump the ASUN ship as long as the WAC deal exists.

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - eku05 - 09-25-2022 04:22 PM

Quote:Taking the C-USA job. By retiring gets pension plus money from new gig.

If, if, if that's true...

I heard some pretty wild rumors a while back involving some conference shuffling that involved this as the first step. Some of it was posted on the UNA Pride board. I dismissed the rumors out of hand because it seemed like too many steps to get to what was being described, but if this actually happens it will at least start to make me wonder.

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - TOPSTRAIGHT - 09-25-2022 10:36 PM

(09-25-2022 11:16 AM)unalions Wrote:  
(09-24-2022 08:55 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Are there no OVC openings? Are there no big south spots?

- Charles Dickens

Teams have been fleeing those conferences left and right. No reason to jump the ASUN ship as long as the WAC deal exists.

If the WAC gets bigger/stronger they will give the ASUN deal the boot after a short grace period.

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - unalions - 09-26-2022 09:58 AM

(09-25-2022 10:36 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  
(09-25-2022 11:16 AM)unalions Wrote:  

- Charles Dickens

If the WAC gets bigger/stronger they will give the ASUN deal the boot after a short grace period.

If the ASUN gets bigger/stronger they will give the WAC deal the boot after a short grace period.

Your point? Lol. Are you lost from another forum?

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - LexColonel - 09-26-2022 11:55 AM

Thoughts regarding EKU and ASUN.
Immediately became concerned about the ASUN when JSU accepted CUSA invite. Don’t blame them one bit, we would have been gone also.
It said, never say never, but I don’t see EKU going back to the OVC unless there’s absolutely no other options and we are DESPERATE! There will be a lot of upset people if we have to back to that mess..
Considering the two above, I hope we aren’t stuck on a sinking ship, and boy has it started to look bleak! And please for all that’s good and kind, NO, NO, NO going back to the OVC!

RE: Gumbart Announces Retirement - jones682 - 09-26-2022 02:25 PM

(09-26-2022 11:55 AM)LexColonel Wrote:  Thoughts regarding EKU and ASUN.
Immediately became concerned about the ASUN when JSU accepted CUSA invite. Don’t blame them one bit, we would have been gone also.
It said, never say never, but I don’t see EKU going back to the OVC unless there’s absolutely no other options and we are DESPERATE! There will be a lot of upset people if we have to back to that mess..
Considering the two above, I hope we aren’t stuck on a sinking ship, and boy has it started to look bleak! And please for all that’s good and kind, NO, NO, NO going back to the OVC!

EKU will be in C-USA. C-USA need teams and EKU wants to be in there conference