CSNbbs
SEC priorities and how to deal with the ACC - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC Conference Talk (/forum-246.html)
+---- Thread: SEC priorities and how to deal with the ACC (/thread-954864.html)

SEC priorities and how to deal with the ACC - AllTideUp - 09-09-2022 05:18 AM

Could the SEC get what it wants and the ACC survive at the same time?

Well, I think it's possible.

We've seen the rumors that the SEC was talking to Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, and Virginia. Strategically, it makes the most sense so I have to give it credence from that standpoint if nothing else.

We've also seen rumors claiming Miami is in talks as well...Dan Patrick said this and some Miami-based journalist have said as much. Patrick went on to say Louisville, Georgia Tech, and UCF could be in that same grouping although he mentioned Florida State and Clemson as most prominent.

So we have the rumor of Florida State and Clemson coming from multiple sources. We have other schools being mentioned additionally in more limited reports.

Now we can debate the truth of all that, but when you combine all the rumors, it amounts to 8 different schools. Coincidence? Entirely possible. I'm on record saying that UCF makes sense despite the seemingly obvious incongruence of it. The others have been talked about on this board in one capacity or the other.

Now, let's say for a moment that it works out this way...

-This means the ACC would lose 7 and the Big 12 would lose 1.

-It also means that the Big 12 would lose it's Easternmost member, but that would be the only one.

-Taken in context of Brett Yormark's comments, it could also mean the Big 12 is focused on expanding West. Trade 1 school in the East for several in the West? Seems more economical.

-Keep in mind that ESPN holds a lot of cards here and has no motivation to work with the Big Ten at this time.

-The ACC Network is still in play as an investment property. Does ESPN want to disband it? I don't think it's comparable to the LHN. You can't really roll it over and it seems to be a profitable entity.

-So the dissolution of the ACC may be off the table even if it's losing numerous members.

How could that work?

For TV purposes, having an Eastern based conference is still a pretty solid investment. There is a reason ESPN went all in with the ACC in the first place even if you discount Swofford's dealings. The ACC must have some value or ESPN never would have bothered.

Keep in mind that basketball will likely be more valuable in a few years. Also keep in mind that the Big East contract is coming up soon. I theorized in the past that you could essentially rebuild the old Big East...an entity that was pretty successful. Now is it possible that a lot of those schools would sign up for a venture where they get back together?

1. Would it keep Notre Dame in the fold?

2. Would it be worth more money? Remember the Big East deal is pretty small potatoes and the ACC has a conference network at their disposal currently.

What could keep the ACC Network viable if numerous schools leave? What would be a good way to enhance ESPN content in the wake of moving on from the current iteration of the ACC? How could you enhance the Big 12 without stretching it too thin geographically?

SEC adds Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia, Miami, Georgia Tech, Louisville, and UCF. That's 24.

Big 12 adds Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado, and San Diego State. That's 16 concentrated mostly in the Central and Mountain Time Zones.

What's left of the ACC could merge with the Big East...

Boston College, UConn, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, NC State, Duke, and Wake Forest could form the football league. Remember the association with Notre Dame will add games.

The basketball league would consist of those schools plus Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Villanova, Xavier, Butler, Marquette, DePaul, and Creighton. Notre Dame would be included here as well.

I think with the demise of the PAC, this Big East/ACC conglomeration could be an interesting spoiler when it comes to determining the top 6 conference champions in football. You'd have the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 champions as locks basically. This new league would likely send its champion. Then you have 2 G5s sending champions.