CSNbbs
hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+----- Forum: Pro Sports (/forum-516.html)
+----- Thread: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? (/thread-946273.html)

Pages: 1 2

hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - GreenFreakUAB - 04-16-2022 12:54 PM

...just wondering if anyone out there plans on checking out any of the USFL games this weekend... here in the Ham it's getting good run, as ALL of the games will be here...

...again, sorry if this needs to go elsewhere, but seems like this forum is the most 'football-centric' of the choices, with all y'all good folks in here... 04-rock

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - templefootballfan - 04-16-2022 01:04 PM

yeah man, i was big USFL fan. went to quite few Phila Stars game.
USFL was good league, i't shame it fell apart.

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - IWokeUpLikeThis - 04-16-2022 01:07 PM

I'd be hooked if like Johnny Manziel was making a comeback, but seems he has no interest in football anymore.

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - IWokeUpLikeThis - 04-16-2022 01:11 PM

https://www.theusfl.com/schedule

Looks like Birmingham has doubleheaders and tripleheaders all season long, including splitting games between Protective Stadium/Legion Field. Man, if I lived in Birmingham, I'd be all over this hanging at those 2 stadiums all day.

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - Fighting Muskie - 04-16-2022 01:13 PM

I won’t be watching this week—plans with friends and family later. But I definitely plan on watching some as the season goes on. I hate the NFL.

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - cubucks - 04-16-2022 01:13 PM

Always fun to watch those college players we cheered for get a 2nd chance in this league. There will be a lot of really good talent on display in these games.

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - IWokeUpLikeThis - 04-16-2022 01:16 PM

(04-16-2022 01:13 PM)cubucks Wrote:  Always fun to watch those college players we cheered for get a 2nd chance in this league. There will be a lot of really good talent on display in these games.

Yes, that's strictly my appeal with these leagues. If they can grab Maurice Clarett/Johnny Manziel types, that will suck me in due to nostalgia.

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - stever20 - 04-16-2022 01:17 PM

it'll be interesting to see what rules/innovations they have that will eventually make it to NFL/College football.

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - GreenFreakUAB - 04-16-2022 01:23 PM

...whoop - thanks for moving this - I honestly didn;t know there WAS a Pro Page 03-drunk

...but I do hope this thing 'takes', but the big diff from the 'original' USFL is of course the old league did the 'head-to-head with NFL' format, which seemed to work for a few seasons, but was most likely untenable over time... ...as far as I know, no major sports have two or more 'major league' entities, except perhaps soccer (?) ...whereas this new incarnation will be a 'developmental' setup, although not sure how 'affiliated' with the NFL it is...

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - GreenFreakUAB - 04-16-2022 01:28 PM

(04-16-2022 01:16 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(04-16-2022 01:13 PM)cubucks Wrote:  Always fun to watch those college players we cheered for get a 2nd chance in this league. There will be a lot of really good talent on display in these games.

Yes, that's strictly my appeal with these leagues. If they can grab Maurice Clarett/Johnny Manziel types, that will suck me in due to nostalgia.

...yeah, some 'names', regardless of their current status, would be of great assistance... I think eventually (when/if) they make it to the actual cities throughout the league, they will have to do the 'local draft' thing to garner interest... I know here, the UA/AU/UAB 'former player' thing is a real factor in drawing fans in...

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - GreenFreakUAB - 04-16-2022 01:39 PM

(04-16-2022 01:17 PM)stever20 Wrote:  it'll be interesting to see what rules/innovations they have that will eventually make it to NFL/College football.

I like the 'alternative' to an on-side kick - you get it somewhere in your territory, but it's set at fourth down and 13? 15? something... one play, if you don't make it, other team takes over.

And not sure WHAT they are doing in terms of OT, but I know it differs from the NFL... I like my dad's old thought - give one team the ball at midfield - they get four plays, no sticks - they move it as far as they can, up to scoring a TD. Then the other team takes over, either at the 50 (if the first team scored a TD - which requires the second team to score a TD to go to 'round two' of OT) OR at the spot where the first team moved it down to (example, to the 15 yard line) - in this case, the second team also gets 4 downs to move it from (example spot) 15-yard line to over the 50; if successful, they win by 1 point; if they don't, the other team wins by 1 point. ...BUT, with that, this probably would have been a better deal for 20th Century offenses... 03-drunk

I would like to see something like an additional point for long field goals - guess at this point anything 50 yards or better - make it 4 instead of 3... at the end of a game, you would see QBs run backwards to get beyond that 50 range if 4 points were needed... 03-drunk

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - GreenFreakUAB - 04-16-2022 01:42 PM

(04-16-2022 01:04 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  yeah man, i was big USFL fan. went to quite few Phila Stars game.
USFL was good league, i't shame it fell apart.

Yeah, the Stars and the Panthers were the big teams year-to-year... My Stallions did pretty well, top 3rd of the league, I guess...

With that, there IS a new Philly Stars team in the mix, so hopefully this time next year they will be up there kicking off! 04-rock

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - Illiniguy - 04-16-2022 02:41 PM

I’ll be watching for sure. My teams are the Michigan Panthers Tampa Bay Bandits and Pittsburgh Maulers

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - templefootballfan - 04-16-2022 04:20 PM

kinda surprized they brought back Pittsburgh Maulers.
they really struggled and had no fans

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - templefootballfan - 04-16-2022 04:28 PM

missinformation must be the norm

read where there better QB's this time.
really, better than Steve Young, Jim Kelly, Doug Williams, Doug Flutie

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - Renandpat - 04-16-2022 04:51 PM

FOX seems committed, but I live in Tampa and there's been little to no coverage of the "Tampa Bay Bandits" because they NOT in the area. No coach interviews via Skype or Zoom, nothing and FOX owns and operates the affiliate.
Nothing online by the Tampa Bay Times either, just Bucs/Brady, Lightning, Rays, the colleges and even the Rowdies. I'll assume the six other cities in the same boat as Tampa have given neither Detroit paper has a story on the Panthers.

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - AssKickingChicken - 04-16-2022 05:14 PM

It will suck. I doubt it makes it more than one season.

It is getting media coverage in Birmingham because the games are there but I don’t see it drawing huge crowds.

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - Renandpat - 04-16-2022 06:02 PM

(04-16-2022 05:14 PM)AssKickingChicken Wrote:  It will suck. I doubt it makes it more than one season.

It is getting media coverage in Birmingham because the games are there but I don’t see it drawing huge crowds.

It doesn't really have to draw crowds. Tickets are just $10 and can be used for games all day. They've committed to three years of funding so the real hard work is making the other seven home markets to care.
For FOX, it's inexpensive weekend programming as well as a way to drive those in eligible states to bet using FOXBET.

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - GreenFreakUAB - 04-17-2022 04:48 PM

(04-16-2022 04:51 PM)Renandpat Wrote:  FOX seems committed, but I live in Tampa and there's been little to no coverage of the "Tampa Bay Bandits" because they NOT in the area. No coach interviews via Skype or Zoom, nothing and FOX owns and operates the affiliate.
Nothing online by the Tampa Bay Times either, just Bucs/Brady, Lightning, Rays, the colleges and even the Rowdies. I'll assume the six other cities in the same boat as Tampa have given neither Detroit paper has a story on the Panthers.

...yeah, I really don't understand the 'incubator' season... but with that, I also wonder why they didn't hit more 'non-NFL' cities - the old USFL had teams in Memphis, San Antonio, Sacramento... heck, St. Louis would be a fair market to get into currently... ...but it IS interesting that some cities which had original USFL teams NOW have NFL teams... Charlotte and Phoenix immediately come to mind...

With the 'rumor' that the NFL is going to expand up to 4 cities, wondering how far B'ham is from being in the mix... probably still pretty far, but things ARE advancing a bit here...there would have to be some fat cats to bankroll it (Barkley? Tim Cook? heck, Saban probably needs to shed some of his money, right? 03-drunk ), but the new stadium can be expanded to at least 70,000 I think... it's interesting that the USFL 1) is doing the 'incubating' deal HERE, and 2) have their only 'non-NFL' city as B'ham... 07-coffee3

...and for the record, there was a pretty big crowd for the Stallions game last night -I unfortunately didn't make it - but folks noted the stadium (47,000) was around 75-80% full... anyway, hope they make a go of it, just to provide more football! 04-rock

RE: hopefully allowed on this page...USFL? - Renandpat - 04-17-2022 08:11 PM

(04-17-2022 04:48 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  
(04-16-2022 04:51 PM)Renandpat Wrote:  FOX seems committed, but I live in Tampa and there's been little to no coverage of the "Tampa Bay Bandits" because they NOT in the area. No coach interviews via Skype or Zoom, nothing and FOX owns and operates the affiliate.

...yeah, I really don't understand the 'incubator' season... but with that, I also wonder why they didn't hit more 'non-NFL' cities - the old USFL had teams in Memphis, San Antonio, Sacramento... heck, St. Louis would be a fair market to get into currently... ...but it IS interesting that some cities which had original USFL teams NOW have NFL teams... Charlotte and Phoenix immediately come to mind...

With the 'rumor' that the NFL is going to expand up to 4 cities, wondering how far B'ham is from being in the mix... probably still pretty far, but things ARE advancing a bit here...there would have to be some fat cats to bankroll it (Barkley? Tim Cook? heck, Saban probably needs to shed some of his money, right? 03-drunk ), but the new stadium can be expanded to at least 70,000 I think... it's interesting that the USFL 1) is doing the 'incubating' deal HERE, and 2) have their only 'non-NFL' city as B'ham... 07-coffee3

...and for the record, there was a pretty big crowd for the Stallions game last night -I unfortunately didn't make it - but folks noted the stadium (47,000) was around 75-80% full... anyway, hope they make a go of it, just to provide more football! 04-rock
They distributed 40K tickets but they only announced 17.5K through the gates last night.

The ratings were 3.3M for the FOX/NBC simulcast and streaming. That's essentially the same number as the AAF and XFL 2020 debut games. It seems to be the same audience but little growth.

And neither Sacramento nor Charlotte had USFL franchises