CSNbbs
2022 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: 2022 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread (/thread-943576.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

2022 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - emu steve - 03-04-2022 05:04 AM

Someone asked not where but when:

"The team returns to the gray turf for its first spring practice Monday, March 14. The session kicks off a string of 15 practice dates during a four-week period that culminates with the program's annual spring football game Friday, April 15."

Huh, Christians will note that Friday April 15 is Good Friday. Why not Saturday, April 16?

A Friday and Good Friday to boot. Why?

RE: 2922 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - emu79 - 03-04-2022 05:48 AM

(03-04-2022 05:04 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Someone asked not where but when:

"The team returns to the gray turf for its first spring practice Monday, March 14. The session kicks off a string of 15 practice dates during a four-week period that culminates with the program's annual spring football game Friday, April 15."

Huh, Christians will note that Friday April 15 is Good Friday. Why not Saturday, April 16?

Wow 2922.

RE: 2922 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - emu steve - 03-06-2022 07:17 AM

<bump> Spring ball starts next week. "The team returns to the gray turf for its first spring practice Monday, March 14." Better to talk spring ball than the weather although it is 60 in Ypsilanti. Wow.

Very nicely fits on the calendar following the end of the basketball season and our next biggie, SPRING (basketball) SIGNING PERIOD.

As usual it is easier to get top government officials to speak off record on weapon deployments for the Ukraine war than EMU sources to speak off the record on spring ball. 03-lmfao
Most in house news is basically bland. True of EMU and most all schools. Reporters are the ones who get the scoop and logically: "No reporters = no scoops."

I find the Defense Department's briefings on Ukraine more informative than our podcasts on EMU sports.

Can we get someone from CNN to come on the ground inside Rynearson?

RE: 2922 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - Jerry Weaver - 03-06-2022 07:41 PM

(03-06-2022 07:17 AM)emu steve Wrote:  <bump> Spring ball starts next week. "The team returns to the gray turf for its first spring practice Monday, March 14." Better to talk spring ball than the weather although it is 60 in Ypsilanti. Wow.

Very nicely fits on the calendar following the end of the basketball season and our next biggie, SPRING (basketball) SIGNING PERIOD.

As usual it is easier to get top government officials to speak off record on weapon deployments for the Ukraine war than EMU sources to speak off the record on spring ball. 03-lmfao
Most in house news is basically bland. True of EMU and most all schools. Reporters are the ones who get the scoop and logically: "No reporters = no scoops."

I find the Defense Department's briefings on Ukraine more informative than our podcasts on EMU sports.

Can we get someone from CNN to come on the ground inside Rynearson?

Steve I have been trying to coerce the roster of ex-Ann Arbor News sportswriters to establish a Substack web presence to no avail. I realize monetizing such is problematic but I also wonder how receptive EMU athletics is to the idea.

RE: 2922 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - steve4840 - 03-08-2022 10:15 PM

Well guys, what are you looking forward to most out of Spring Ball? Just a few that I am eager to hear about.....

1. QB play. Who will get the nod? 5 are on the roster and my early guess is that Powell (Sr) will compete with May (So) and Austin Smith (So). I hope it is Smith or May and not the Senior as we would be going into the next season with a new QB all over again. I'm high on May but am eager to see who takes this.

2. D-Line. Haney, Merrit and Ramirez provide good experience but the most exciting players I think are the younger guys: Melvin Swindle, Carter Evans, Jaiden Gaines and Aaron Hamilton. All are at minimum in their 2nd yr in the program and they will be counted on a TON. We dont have upperclassmen depth.

3. LB play. In my opinion our LB play was BRUTAL last year both in scheme from Neathery as well as talent. We addressed the latter with the pick up of Sparacio (Sr) from Boston College, Chase Kline (Jr) from MSU, and getting Scheidt (Jr) back from injury I think this will be instantly be the most improved group. Still dont love Neathery's 'bend-don't-break' garbage scheme but we will be better here than we were with last years LB's who played on their heels all year.

4. RB. Jawon is gone and Boone has to have a bounce back year. Boone at 450 yrds last year and I expect him to take the lead this year. Samson Evans is good and I'm glad we have him but it's predictable with him. Will their be another RB that shows up?

5. Surprise difference makers? Look, I see this team as a 6-6 group, maybe 7-5 and I'm not happy but not pissed about it. We need a difference maker that can get us to the next level of 8, 9 win teams. Who will step up and be a Hassan Beydoun type of guy that can carry a load for us.

RE: 2922 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - emu steve - 03-09-2022 01:02 AM

(03-08-2022 10:15 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  Well guys, what are you looking forward to most out of Spring Ball? Just a few that I am eager to hear about.....

1. QB play. Who will get the nod? 5 are on the roster and my early guess is that Powell (Sr) will compete with May (So) and Austin Smith (So). I hope it is Smith or May and not the Senior as we would be going into the next season with a new QB all over again. I'm high on May but am eager to see who takes this.

2. D-Line. Haney, Merrit and Ramirez provide good experience but the most exciting players I think are the younger guys: Melvin Swindle, Carter Evans, Jaiden Gaines and Aaron Hamilton. All are at minimum in their 2nd yr in the program and they will be counted on a TON. We dont have upperclassmen depth.

3. LB play. In my opinion our LB play was BRUTAL last year both in scheme from Neathery as well as talent. We addressed the latter with the pick up of Sparacio (Sr) from Boston College, Chase Kline (Jr) from MSU, and getting Scheidt (Jr) back from injury I think this will be instantly be the most improved group. Still dont love Neathery's 'bend-don't-break' garbage scheme but we will be better here than we were with last years LB's who played on their heels all year.

4. RB. Jawon is gone and Boone has to have a bounce back year. Boone at 450 yrds last year and I expect him to take the lead this year. Samson Evans is good and I'm glad we have him but it's predictable with him. Will their be another RB that shows up?

5. Surprise difference makers? Look, I see this team as a 6-6 group, maybe 7-5 and I'm not happy but not pissed about it. We need a difference maker that can get us to the next level of 8, 9 win teams. Who will step up and be a Hassan Beydoun type of guy that can carry a load for us.

Agree with your points. I'm hopeful that a few of our young DL make their presence felt on the field. They certainly have the resumes.

I, too, not sure about the 4 - 2 - 5 defense. IF it was a good pass defense, the NFL would be using it.

As far as stopping the run, it wouldn't seem ideal and the 5th defender better be a really good tackler, to clean up a lot of runs.

And I would only use it if I had superior, big LBs like Kahlil Mack, Let's fantasize. We have Maxx Crosby at DE, Harris at the other, Mack at an inside LB and another like him. Then the 4 - 2 - 5 would be perfect. Teams would be forced to throw into the 5 DBs and if a runner got into the secondary Hoying would clean up.

RE: 2922 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - dansplaining - 03-09-2022 08:12 AM

(03-08-2022 10:15 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  Well guys, what are you looking forward to most out of Spring Ball? Just a few that I am eager to hear about.....

I care about:

1.) The Quarterback position. Who wins that starter spot?
2.) QB. I want to see who develops into the future there.
3.) Who the passer is going to be? I want to see who gets the most reps and who looks the best throwing the ball.

That's it.

RE: 2922 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - TheWoodenNickle - 03-09-2022 09:02 AM

Kicker is also something to keep an eye on. Can the kid from Mexico get it done? EMU still needs to add another kicker to the roster. You can't go into the season with just one.

RE: 2922 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - cidbearit - 03-09-2022 12:36 PM

I'm waiting to see what happens at Center. Mike VanHoeven was a machine when it came to snapping the ball and getting on his block. The Eagles lost a lot of talent with his graduation. You can have the greatest QB in the NCAA...if you can't get the ball to him in a consistent manner, he'll be no good to you.

RE: 2922 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - emu79 - 03-09-2022 05:36 PM

Joshua Scott the JUCO DB is now on the roster and we added two WRs Ali Abdul-Barr II 6'2 200 from Atlanta a true frosh and Nick Devereaux 6'2 185 Davenport but still a frosh WR. I thought Myles McNeal had entered the portal but he is on the roster. Abdul Barr II had an offer from UMass.

Since last fall we have lost Paul DB, Hutchinson QB, Small DB, Delso WR, Wright WR, Luther PK, Ryland PK, Reyes DT, Buschman LB Brown Jr LB Stagner DE, Racely OL, Joseph WR, Brooks DE and Bryant QB. Brown Jr is at Delaware St.

RE: 2922 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - dansplaining - 03-10-2022 07:52 AM

(03-09-2022 05:36 PM)emu79 Wrote:  Joshua Scott the JUCO DB is now on the roster and we added two WRs Ali Abdul-Barr II 6'2 200 from Atlanta a true frosh and Nick Devereaux 6'2 185 Davenport but still a frosh WR. I thought Myles McNeal had entered the portal but he is on the roster. Abdul Barr II had an offer from UMass.

Since last fall we have lost Paul DB, Hutchinson QB, Small DB, Delso WR, Wright WR, Luther PK, Ryland PK, Reyes DT, Buschman LB Brown Jr LB Stagner DE, Racely OL, Joseph WR, Brooks DE and Bryant QB. Brown Jr is at Delaware St.

You can enter the portal and return. i was unaware we lost stagner?

RE: 2022 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - emu steve - 03-10-2022 08:27 AM

(03-04-2022 05:48 AM)emu79 Wrote:  

Wow 2922.

03-cloud9

RE: 2022 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - emu79 - 03-10-2022 08:42 AM

(03-10-2022 07:52 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(03-09-2022 05:36 PM)emu79 Wrote:  Joshua Scott the JUCO DB is now on the roster and we added two WRs Ali Abdul-Barr II 6'2 200 from Atlanta a true frosh and Nick Devereaux 6'2 185 Davenport but still a frosh WR. I thought Myles McNeal had entered the portal but he is on the roster. Abdul Barr II had an offer from UMass.

You can enter the portal and return. i was unaware we lost stagner?

I could not find him on the current roster.

RE: 2022 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - steve4840 - 03-10-2022 01:11 PM

(03-09-2022 12:36 PM)cidbearit Wrote:  I'm waiting to see what happens at Center. Mike VanHoeven was a machine when it came to snapping the ball and getting on his block. The Eagles lost a lot of talent with his graduation. You can have the greatest QB in the NCAA...if you can't get the ball to him in a consistent manner, he'll be no good to you.

Van Hoeven will be missed for sure. Cid, is there any one that sticks out as the front runner to take that spot?

I assume our O-Line will be good this year given the experience we have coming back.

RE: 2022 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - emu steve - 03-10-2022 01:26 PM

(03-10-2022 01:11 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  
(03-09-2022 12:36 PM)cidbearit Wrote:  I'm waiting to see what happens at Center. Mike VanHoeven was a machine when it came to snapping the ball and getting on his block. The Eagles lost a lot of talent with his graduation. You can have the greatest QB in the NCAA...if you can't get the ball to him in a consistent manner, he'll be no good to you.

Van Hoeven will be missed for sure. Cid, is there any one that sticks out as the front runner to take that spot?

I assume our O-Line will be good this year given the experience we have coming back.

If we have an inside source, I'd like to know if Howie moves to center.

My guess is that Howie has the size, etc for center (don't think he is big enough to play tackle).

I see him as interior offensive line, any of the 3 positions, depending on which he feels most at home.

RE: 2022 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - emu79 - 03-10-2022 03:50 PM

QB is an open position. I like the depth at RB. Who is the starting TE? Ditto PK and P. We may need to wait for fall.Are we going to add some DL via transfer or May JUCO grads? I like our Wrs and OL and DBs. Is our DL and LB play going to improve?

RE: 2022 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - steve4840 - 03-11-2022 10:53 AM

(03-10-2022 03:50 PM)emu79 Wrote:  QB is an open position. I like the depth at RB. Who is the starting TE? Ditto PK and P. We may need to wait for fall.Are we going to add some DL via transfer or May JUCO grads? I like our Wrs and OL and DBs. Is our DL and LB play going to improve?

I think our LB group definitely got better with Sparacio, Kline from the portal and Scheidt will be healthy. I will be curious to see how Speights fits in with playing time with that group.

DLine we will be able to see the good, young guys get in there but I agree we need 1 more experienced D-lineman.

TE I assume would be Gunnar Oakes right?

RE: 2022 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - Luckeyone - 03-11-2022 12:42 PM

(03-11-2022 10:53 AM)steve4840 Wrote:  
(03-10-2022 03:50 PM)emu79 Wrote:  QB is an open position. I like the depth at RB. Who is the starting TE? Ditto PK and P. We may need to wait for fall.Are we going to add some DL via transfer or May JUCO grads? I like our Wrs and OL and DBs. Is our DL and LB play going to improve?

I think our LB group definitely got better with Sparacio, Kline from the portal and Scheidt will be healthy. I will be curious to see how Speights fits in with playing time with that group.

DLine we will be able to see the good, young guys get in there but I agree we need 1 more experienced D-lineman.

Not sure about Sporacio but he exemplifies our typical LBs: small. Hopefully Kline improves the position!!

RE: 2022 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - steve4840 - 03-12-2022 08:17 PM

(03-11-2022 12:42 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(03-11-2022 10:53 AM)steve4840 Wrote:  

Not sure about Sporacio but he exemplifies our typical LBs: small. Hopefully Kline improves the position!!

Agreed on his size but he plays north-south and doesn't sit on his heels like last yrs. LB's. He is an upgrade for sure.

RE: 2022 EMU FB Spring Ball Thread - emu steve - 03-14-2022 09:57 AM

(03-04-2022 05:48 AM)emu79 Wrote:  

Wow 2922.

Today is Day #1 of EMU spring ball. It is March 14, 2022, not 2922. Should not try to fat finger as much... 03-lmfao

(I know: I'll go for a job interview, "Steve, tell me one think (EDIT: thing) you do wrong frequently. Be specific." Me: "I fat finger too often on my computer. And even worse on my tablet. And sometimes the AI on my tablet distorts what I type."

https://twitter.com/tariqsp8s/status/1503373208317304838?s=20&t=WHvvce-r5fbhmsRk5swTsA