CSNbbs
Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Conference Talk (/forum-188.html)
+---- Thread: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas (/thread-940116.html)

Pages: 1 2

Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - CYOWA - 01-13-2022 10:05 AM

Every great adventure story has a "McGuffin," and our new-look conference could probably use some hardware. Iowa State-Kansas State has talked about creating something for Farmageddon, but so far all we've come up with is red & purple painted plow. Any other ideas? Here are some others off the top of my head:

Cincy-WVU "Ohio River Rumble" and/or "Battle for Daniel Boone's Musket"
UCF-Houston "Gulf Coast Cup"
BYU-TCU-Baylor "Gideons Bible"

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - BraveKnight - 01-13-2022 10:44 AM

(01-13-2022 10:05 AM)CYOWA Wrote:  Every great adventure story has a "McGuffin," and our new-look conference could probably use some hardware. Iowa State-Kansas State has talked about creating something for Farmageddon, but so far all we've come up with is red & purple painted plow. Any other ideas? Here are some others off the top of my head:

UCF Houston could do something space themed, it’s been mentioned by the fanbases before, although I doubt anything will come of it.

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - CYOWA - 01-13-2022 10:52 AM

(01-13-2022 10:44 AM)BraveKnight Wrote:  
(01-13-2022 10:05 AM)CYOWA Wrote:  Every great adventure story has a "McGuffin," and our new-look conference could probably use some hardware. Iowa State-Kansas State has talked about creating something for Farmageddon, but so far all we've come up with is red & purple painted plow. Any other ideas? Here are some others off the top of my head:

UCF Houston could do something space themed, it’s been mentioned by the fanbases before, although I doubt anything will come of it.

Ah- NASA. Hadn't thought of that. The Launchpad Trophy?? 03-rotfl

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - BraveKnight - 01-13-2022 10:55 AM

(01-13-2022 10:52 AM)CYOWA Wrote:  

UCF does a “space game” every year, with special uniforms (which are really cool), because our school was founded to be a feeder university to the Kennedy Space Center, but maybe we could make the space game specifically for the Houston game every year, and they could do the same…

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - CYOWA - 01-13-2022 11:40 AM

(01-13-2022 10:55 AM)BraveKnight Wrote:  

UCF does a “space game” every year, with special uniforms (which are really cool), because our school was founded to be a feeder university to the Kennedy Space Center, but maybe we could make the space game specifically for the Houston game every year, and they could do the same…

I love the idea, actually. Can't believe it hadn't crossed my mind before, but I can already hear the color commentators: "Houston, we have a problem..."

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - BearcatJerry - 01-13-2022 10:36 PM

(01-13-2022 10:05 AM)CYOWA Wrote:  Cincy-WVU "Ohio River Rumble" and/or "Battle for Daniel Boone's Musket"

No.

First, because the Musket is sacred to WVU and you don't screw around with it.

Second, the Old Big East tried fabricating a rivalry between UC and sPitt ("The River City Rivalry") which was just lame.

Let things develop on their own.

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - Fuzzyhasek2 - 01-13-2022 10:53 PM

I had and idea for BYU/UH trophy somehow tying in to the Red vs Blue series

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - CYOWA - 01-14-2022 09:22 AM

(01-13-2022 10:36 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(01-13-2022 10:05 AM)CYOWA Wrote:  Cincy-WVU "Ohio River Rumble" and/or "Battle for Daniel Boone's Musket"

No.

Second, the Old Big East tried fabricating a rivalry between UC and sPitt ("The River City Rivalry") which was just lame.

Well alrighty then. How bout a dumpster with a flaming couch in it for the Riot Bowl?

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - ArmoredUpKnight - 01-14-2022 09:39 AM

(01-13-2022 11:40 AM)CYOWA Wrote:  

I love the idea, actually. Can't believe it hadn't crossed my mind before, but I can already hear the color commentators: "Houston, we have a problem..."

Houston has a lot of rivalry options with all the Texas programs.

Any kind of UCF rivalry will just feel forced. Plus, I prefer to use the Space Uniforms strategically as motivation for big games. If we have Space themed rivalry, it will feel like we are locked into wearing it for Houston in the good years and the bad.

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - KnightLight - 01-14-2022 01:15 PM

UCF vs TCU/Houston: Rollercoaster Cup (Disney/Universal/Sea World Coasters vs Six Flags)

UCF vs Kansas/Kansas State: New vs Old Yellow Brick Road

UCF vs West Virginia: Villages Cup (loser has to move to the Villages)

UCF vs Iowa State: Corn Cob Trophy: Zellwood Corn (sweet corn from an area just NW of Orlando) vs Iowa Sweet Corn

UCF vs Texas Tech: Silver Spurs Rodeo Cup (local Rodeo in Kissimmee, FL)

UCF vs BYU: Water/Snow Ski Trophy

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - OKIcat - 01-14-2022 01:26 PM

No.

Yep, something to be said for that when schools just seem to occupy long-term rentals in conferences now rather than establishing deep roots. I know we as Cincinnati fans hope the Big XII is a long-term, stable solution but who really knows? The "River City Rivalry" might have some credibility now if both Cincy and Pitt had been playing annually the past decade. That de facto Big East championship game in December 2008 lit the dynamite between fan bases that could have made for a rivalry both programs believed in. Travelling trophy or not, I expect Cincy/West Virginia games to heat up in a hurry and that should be good for both schools and the Big XII.

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - CYOWA - 01-14-2022 02:03 PM

(01-14-2022 01:15 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  UCF vs Iowa State: Corn Cob Trophy: Zellwood Corn (sweet corn from an area just NW of Orlando) vs Iowa Sweet Corn

OH NO YOU DIDN'T! Nothing beats beats Iowa sweet corn. NOTHING!!! 03-hissyfit

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - BewareThePhog - 01-14-2022 02:34 PM

No.

I agree. Rivalries will need to grow organically from meaningful competition. You certainly wouldn’t want to try to just shoehorn in an artificial rivalry - that could result in brewing resentment or even civil conflict…. 02-13-banana

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - Coog Engineer - 01-14-2022 03:20 PM

As a former employee at NASA's JSC (contractor), I learned there is already a bit of rivalry between NASA's KSC (Florida) and JSC (Houston) that people on the outside don't really see, so it would be pretty fun in that regard.

But no reason this couldn't become a football rivalry theme, as both areas and universities that serve them can relate to the spaceflight industry. And if the two schools came up with cool space-themed uniforms to give the talking heads something to talk about during the game, letting them show shots of both NASA centers facilities, talk about the importance of STEM and what role each university plays in providing that, what's not to like about the idea?

Should've been done when we first started playing each other.

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - BearcatJerry - 01-14-2022 04:19 PM

(01-14-2022 02:34 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  

No.

I agree. Rivalries will need to grow organically from meaningful competition. You certainly wouldn’t want to try to just shoehorn in an artificial rivalry - that could result in brewing resentment or even civil conflict…. 02-13-banana

I see what you did there...
03-lmfao

(For the record, it was the "Civil ConFLiCT")

EDIT: Funnily enough, there is a whole thread over on a uconn board about the trophy and them raging about how UCF has created an imposter trophy for their own... Funny stuff! Pound Puppies

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - BewareThePhog - 01-14-2022 08:05 PM

(01-14-2022 04:19 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(01-14-2022 02:34 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  

No.

I see what you did there...
03-lmfao

(For the record, it was the "Civil ConFLiCT")

EDIT: Funnily enough, there is a whole thread over on a uconn board about the trophy and them raging about how UCF has created an imposter trophy for their own... Funny stuff! Pound Puppies
Yep - but I figured that using the “correct” spelling would make it stick out like the proverbial sore thumb. That whole thing is one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen in sports.

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - goodknightfl - 01-15-2022 05:11 PM

Pocket Rocket on top of bed. 09-hitit 03-woohoo 05-bump

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - BewareThePhog - 01-15-2022 05:24 PM

(01-14-2022 03:20 PM)Coog Engineer Wrote:  
(01-13-2022 10:44 AM)BraveKnight Wrote:  UCF Houston could do something space themed, it’s been mentioned by the fanbases before, although I doubt anything will come of it.

As a former employee at NASA's JSC (contractor), I learned there is already a bit of rivalry between NASA's KSC (Florida) and JSC (Houston) that people on the outside don't really see, so it would be pretty fun in that regard.

But no reason this couldn't become a football rivalry theme, as both areas and universities that serve them can relate to the spaceflight industry. And if the two schools came up with cool space-themed uniforms to give the talking heads something to talk about during the game, letting them show shots of both NASA centers facilities, talk about the importance of STEM and what role each university plays in providing that, what's not to like about the idea?

Should've been done when we first started playing each other.
Too bad Larry Hagman has passed - he could have been the namesake of the Nelson/Ewing award, representing both Florida and Texas, and as an “astronaut” the space program. Now there is that sticky point of Dallas be Houston, but still…

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - Fighting Muskie - 01-15-2022 05:50 PM

A space themed rivalry makes sense for UCF and Houston but might be hard to exercise in practice as the two likely will not be in the same division.

Perhaps NASA legend Homer Hickam would consent to being the namesake of a Rocket Boys Rivalry between WVU and UCF. (The game could be played under an “October Sky” lol).

RE: Rivalry Traveling Trophy ideas - Fighting Muskie - 01-15-2022 05:56 PM

I like the idea of a Cougar Classic between BYU and Houston too.

Let’s dub BYU vs Baylor the Bourbon Bowl—with the irony being that Baptists and Mormons don’t drink.

There’s a traveling trophy idea out there somewhere for WVU and Cincinnati, it’s just a matter of making one that isn’t corny.