CSNbbs
Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics (/thread-938028.html)

Pages: 1 2

Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - georgia_tech_swagger - 12-14-2021 10:12 AM

... and bundled television. All at the same time. Impressive profiteering if all you care about is your stock returns for 5-10 years.

What?! You mean you dared to watch Disney from a non-traditional broadcaster? Why you should be using the Hulu-ESPN+ bundle! It is the Fuhrer Mickey ordained way and all non-conformers shall be punished by being placed in fiscal purgatory.

Quote:In order to make 85+ channels available to you on YouTube TV, we partner with content owners. From time to time, our partnerships need to be renewed to ensure we continue to offer a strong lineup at a competitive and fair price.

We are now in negotiations with Disney to continue distributing their content on YouTube TV. Our deal will expire on Friday, December 17, 2021. We have not yet been able to reach an equitable agreement, so we want to give you a heads-up so that you can understand your choices.

Disney is an important partner for us. We are in active conversations with them and are working hard to keep their content on YouTube TV. Our ask of Disney, as with all of our partners, is to treat YouTube TV like any other TV provider — by offering us the same rates that services of a similar size pay, across Disney’s channels for as long as we carry them.

We welcome a renewed agreement provided we can reach equitable terms with Disney. However, if we are unable to reach a deal by Friday, the Disney-owned channels will no longer be available on YouTube TV starting December 17, and we will decrease our monthly price by $15, from $64.99 to $49.99 (while Disney content remains off of our platform).

We would love every member to stay with our service, but we give you the flexibility to pause or cancel your membership at any time. If you want to continue watching some of Disney’s content, consider signing up for their own service, The Disney Bundle, which they offer for $13.99/month and which is subject to its own terms and restrictions.

We will share any further updates on this webpage as we seek a resolution for you, our members.

Thanks for your patience and for being a YouTube TV member.

Sincerely,
The YouTube TV team

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - green - 12-14-2021 10:44 AM

https://twitter.com/awallenstein/status/1465804396432793603

DOWN IN THE DUMPS

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - curtis0620 - 12-14-2021 11:16 AM

youtubeTV would die if they drop these channels.

So, Not happening.

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - georgia_tech_swagger - 12-14-2021 11:30 AM

(12-14-2021 11:16 AM)curtis0620 Wrote:  youtubeTV would die if they drop these channels.

So, Not happening.

Something will eventually give. Disney always wants more while providing less and less. Do you still want to buy in to the Disney Ecosystem if it becomes the SEC ESPN funded NFL-Lite 20 team invitational?

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - orangefan - 12-14-2021 01:01 PM

(12-14-2021 11:16 AM)curtis0620 Wrote:  youtubeTV would die if they drop these channels.

So, Not happening.

Absolutely correct. In this world of direct to consumer offerings, the only reason for bundled cable and cable-like services to exist is to deliver sports programming. ESPN is the absolute flagship of this space, not just for Disney but for the entire industry. Disney's own Hulu + Live TV, as well as Sling, Fubo and others, are standing ready to pick up YoutubeTV's fleeing customers the minute they drop ESPN.

(12-14-2021 11:30 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Something will eventually give. Disney always wants more while providing less and less. Do you still want to buy in to the Disney Ecosystem if it becomes the SEC ESPN funded NFL-Lite 20 team invitational?

Something does absolutely have to give, but Disney's not giving up on its cash cow any time soon. Domestic Linear Networks still provide over 25% of Disney's corporate revenues and over 20% of corporate operating income. ESPN represents the lion's share of both numbers.

Disney faces the obvious crisis that cable, satellite and over the top bundle subscribers are collectively declining. To date they have been successful at maintaining revenue levels through price increases and new offerings. ACCN and SECN have provided a meaningful offset to lost subscribers from other channels, for instance. However, while the margins remain high for ESPN and its family of channels, those margins are declining. There have been rumors of a sale or spin off of ESPN, but I'm not sure Disney's ready to hit that red button yet. The plan appears to be to navigate a soft landing for its linear offerings while transitioning sports to a direct to consumer model. In addition, Disney is readying an entry in to sports gambling, looking to leverage its brand and its ability to cross market.

What this means for consumers is that Disney is going to be ever aggressive to maintain the highest possible revenues from its declining cable business, e.g., by negotiating for higher carriage rates. It just completed a deal with Comcast, which clearly establishes a market rate for its bundle of channels. Disney will also be looking to cut costs. It laid off some on air talent a few years ago and is undoubtedly being more cautious in new deals with talent - for instance possibly contributing to the loss of Maria Taylor to NBC. It has negotiated a deal with MLB at a lower price than its prior deal (albeit with fewer games) and had the smallest increase in rights fees among networks in recent NFL negotiations. Finally, ESPN will be slowly transitioning programming traditionally aired on cable to ESPN+ and Hulu while slowly increasing the prices of those services.

Rest assured that sports programming remains extremely valuable and it will be shown somewhere that it can be accessed by fans. ESPN has extremely strong brand recognition, as well as the ability to distribute programming across multiple platforms - Over the Air, cable, and streaming. It will be with us in some form for a very long time.

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - Hokie Mark - 12-14-2021 01:36 PM

There was a time (oh, about 40 years ago!) when sports on cable was a niche thing. ESPN bought media rights on the cheap. One of the first they bought was SEC football.

Somewhere along the way, ESPN realized it could leverage cable subscription fees to pay more than network tv could match - so it did, but perhaps without fully considering what would happen when those fees eventually dried up.

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - JRsec - 12-14-2021 02:22 PM

(12-14-2021 01:36 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  There was a time (oh, about 40 years ago!) when sports on cable was a niche thing. ESPN bought media rights on the cheap. One of the first they bought was SEC football.

Somewhere along the way, ESPN realized it could leverage cable subscription fees to pay more than network tv could match - so it did, but perhaps without fully considering what would happen when those fees eventually dried up.

And they will get away with it far longer than most of their competition. ESPN is clearly gearing toward a streaming world, and people would still rather watch live sports than watch pre-recorded programming or invest 2 hours in a movie, though movies are also a popular dynamic and short series are catching on as well. Disney covers all 3 and has documentaries/propaganda.

As much as I despise what they have done to our culture they will likely outlast us, as well as their competition.

When American culture is destroyed, I suspect Disney will be like the cockroaches at Hiroshima. They will crawl out from under the destruction and adapt.

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - ClairtonPanther - 12-14-2021 08:19 PM

I cut the cord and either illegally stream games or watch at a bar. They ain't getting a dollar from me.

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - ken d - 12-16-2021 12:42 PM

From where I sit, Disney and ESPN aren't destroying American culture - they epitomize it.

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - georgia_tech_swagger - 12-16-2021 01:12 PM

(12-16-2021 12:42 PM)ken d Wrote:  From where I sit, Disney and ESPN aren't destroying American culture - they epitomize it.

Touche.

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - Win5002 - 12-17-2021 03:20 AM

(12-14-2021 08:19 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  I cut the cord and either illegally stream games or watch at a bar. They ain't getting a dollar from me.

You end up spending more in higher priced food and alcohol than it would be to pay for tv.

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - cuseroc - 12-17-2021 05:52 AM

(12-17-2021 03:20 AM)Win5002 Wrote:  
(12-14-2021 08:19 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  I cut the cord and either illegally stream games or watch at a bar. They ain't getting a dollar from me.

You end up spending more in higher priced food and alcohol than it would be to pay for tv.

I learned that very valuable lesson about 20 years ago for games I couldnt attend. Back then my team was on tv pretty regularly before they became irrelevant. So I would go to a local rib joint that had lots of giant tv's. Most of the time I would take my family with me. One visit there and I spent as much as what my cable bill would be back then. Didnt take me long to realize that I may not like the cable tv companies but it was cheaper to have cable then to keep spending that money at the local rib joint or Applebees. Especially after SU went in to the crapper and fewer and fewer games were on regular tv. You are going to spend the money one way or the other.

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - georgia_tech_swagger - 12-17-2021 09:26 AM

(12-17-2021 05:52 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  You are going to spend the money one way or the other.

Not strictly speaking true. While I subscribe to YouTubeTV, I can stream any channel I want to on demand illicitly.

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - cuseroc - 12-17-2021 12:00 PM

(12-17-2021 09:26 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(12-17-2021 05:52 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  You are going to spend the money one way or the other.

Not strictly speaking true. While I subscribe to YouTubeTV, I can stream any channel I want to on demand illicitly.

GTS, How much do you pay for YouTube tv?

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - georgia_tech_swagger - 12-17-2021 01:07 PM

(12-17-2021 12:00 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(12-17-2021 09:26 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

GTS, How much do you pay for YouTube tv?

$65.99/mo - Base Plan
$19.99/mo - 4K & Mobile Download & Unlimited home streams

If I weren't splitting it up with a family member, it would be MORE expensive than a traditional cable package bundled (until the teaser rate runs out).

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - georgia_tech_swagger - 12-18-2021 02:26 PM

And so as bowl season begins I lose the ability to watch bowl games legally.

Epic Rage

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - copycat - 12-19-2021 12:01 PM

(12-18-2021 02:26 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  And so as bowl season begins I lose the ability to watch bowl games legally.

Epic Rage

Yeah wasn't amused.

Sling TV Orange package will get you through bowl season though, intro rate of like $20 for that month.

Will have to figure out options for next season.

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - green - 12-19-2021 04:18 PM

(12-18-2021 02:26 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  And so as bowl season begins I lose the ability to watch bowl games legally.

Epic Rage

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1472664764815974401

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - Edgebrookjeff - 12-20-2021 09:13 AM

(12-19-2021 12:01 PM)copycat Wrote:  

Epic Rage

Yeah wasn't amused.

Sling TV Orange package will get you through bowl season though, intro rate of like $20 for that month.

Will have to figure out options for next season.

I have been a sling customer for more than 2 years now. I only keep the ESPN package from the beginning of footballs season until the NCAA tournament starts. I think I get Disney+ (including ESPN+) free with my verizon phone. It works, and I'm only paying for ESPN 6 months out of the year.

RE: Disney is destroying collegiate athletics - panite - 12-22-2021 09:28 AM

Disney caved in the greed move. ESPN and the other channels are back on UTUBE. 07-coffee3