CSNbbs
Finn or Bradley ? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Toledo (/forum-479.html)
+----- Thread: Finn or Bradley ? (/thread-932133.html)

Pages: 1 2

Finn or Bradley ? - Springboromark - 10-15-2021 06:42 PM

I hope Finn starts the game. I think he gives the Rockets a better chance of winning up there with his mobility. Rockets must start fast offensively.

RE: Finn or Bradley ? - Babes boy - 10-15-2021 09:09 PM

Would love to see more of Finn. Wouldn’t mind seeing the other QBs get some time with the ball.

RE: Finn or Bradley ? - eastisbest - 10-15-2021 09:27 PM

Unless one of them can block the end (as if Candle would ever call a runing play around end), I don't have a favorite. They're both fun to watch. I think there's more upside to developing a pocket passer than a run-first so even if Finn, I'd want to see him working on his timing routes with the WR's.

RE: Finn or Bradley ? - rockytop - 10-15-2021 09:47 PM

Does it matter? Neither one has impressed me.

RE: Finn or Bradley ? - UofToledoFans - 10-15-2021 09:54 PM

The line has been standing up catching D linemen. Thats not a good recipe for pass blocking success. Run some screens and QB RPOs with even some option would get the line going side to side and not backwards. We have some team speed. Lets use it. Bradley is fine but we cant catch his passes. IMO its Finn or bust. Run the offense Mitch ran. CMU has a bad bad pass D. Even Finn should be able to beat them thru the air.

We need 2 first downs a drive minimum. Flip the field and let the D work... NOT WORK OVERTIME like last week. Even TOP is neccesary for this D to stay hungry and not get run down.

If we can dink and dunk for 4 to 10 yards a play the Run game will be wide open for Koback and Company. CMUs D is as bad as we will face.

Finn or Bradley ? - adunifon - 10-16-2021 08:29 AM

(10-15-2021 09:54 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  The line has been standing up catching D linemen. Thats not a good recipe for pass blocking success. Run some screens and QB RPOs with even some option would get the line going side to side and not backwards. We have some team speed. Lets use it. Bradley is fine but we cant catch his passes. IMO its Finn or bust. Run the offense Mitch ran. CMU has a bad bad pass D. Even Finn should be able to beat them thru the air.

We need 2 first downs a drive minimum. Flip the field and let the D work... NOT WORK OVERTIME like last week. Even TOP is neccesary for this D to stay hungry and not get run down.

If we can dink and dunk for 4 to 10 yards a play the Run game will be wide open for Koback and Company. CMUs D is as bad as we will face.

Just giving one QB all the reps in practice couldn’t hurt.

And for the love of god please quit going for it on 4th down in our own territory.

RE: Finn or Bradley ? - H2Oville Rocket - 10-16-2021 09:13 AM

(10-16-2021 08:29 AM)adunifon Wrote:  
(10-15-2021 09:54 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  The line has been standing up catching D linemen. Thats not a good recipe for pass blocking success. Run some screens and QB RPOs with even some option would get the line going side to side and not backwards. We have some team speed. Lets use it. Bradley is fine but we cant catch his passes. IMO its Finn or bust. Run the offense Mitch ran. CMU has a bad bad pass D. Even Finn should be able to beat them thru the air.

Just giving one QB all the reps in practice couldn’t hurt.

And for the love of god please quit going for it on 4th down in our own territory.

Unless you short snap from punt formation to a 356 pound lineman. Actually, I think we had crossed the 50 but that play, France’s goalpost collision and Bruce’s OT pass for the win at BG are probably my three favorite UT plays. Amstutz was notorious for 4th down attempts anywhere but they probably failed more than they worked.

RE: Finn or Bradley ? - BDV27 - 10-16-2021 11:14 AM

? agree. Candle has done a horrible job building a scheme specific to the talent he has. He is force feeding his system and right now the talent needed for his scheme is not there. He needs to adjust, as you detailed above. But it appears he is too stubborn

RE: Finn or Bradley ? - H2Oville Rocket - 10-16-2021 02:14 PM

So who’s starting?

Finn or Bradley ? - adunifon - 10-16-2021 05:00 PM

(10-16-2021 02:14 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  So who’s starting?

Should have been neither apparently.

RE: Finn or Bradley ? - MidnightBlueGold - 10-16-2021 09:00 PM

(10-16-2021 05:00 PM)adunifon Wrote:  

To be fair, no QB can do anything with this garbage OL we have. The only reason DQ is ahead of Carter right now is because he is able to somewhat successfully run for his life every pass play. If the line could actually block someone, Carter would probably be the starter since he is a better passer. But you can't pass when the OL doesn't block.

RE: Finn or Bradley ? - Boca Rocket - 10-17-2021 01:55 AM

Injury protocol?

Finn or Bradley ? - adunifon - 10-17-2021 04:59 AM

(10-16-2021 09:00 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  

To be fair, no QB can do anything with this garbage OL we have. The only reason DQ is ahead of Carter right now is because he is able to somewhat successfully run for his life every pass play. If the line could actually block someone, Carter would probably be the starter since he is a better passer. But you can't pass when the OL doesn't block.

Oh I agree. And it’s probably the reason we aren’t seeing the 3rd string qb. Nobody stands a chance back there.

Is hallet really that bad of a coach and recruiter? Seems like we have a high school level o line.

RE: Finn or Bradley ? - inductchuck16 - 10-17-2021 11:08 AM

(10-17-2021 04:59 AM)adunifon Wrote:  
(10-16-2021 09:00 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  

Oh I agree. And it’s probably the reason we aren’t seeing the 3rd string qb. Nobody stands a chance back there.

Is hallet really that bad of a coach and recruiter? Seems like we have a high school level o line.

Yes and yes. Hallet came directly from a D3 program (not named Mount Union), with zero experience at the FBS level. His only prior exp. before UT was at the D3 level. I can't believe he wasn't part of the Ward and George cuts 2 years back. He belongs back down at the D3 level. Our o-line is an absolute embarrassment, especially to our once-proud tradition in the trenches. The CBS announcers kept mentioning how CMU had 6 sacks in 12 plays, think about that...our o-line allowed 6 sacks in 12 plays during a stretch of the game. They should've been forced to walk home yesterday.

RE: Finn or Bradley ? - bigdatut98 - 10-17-2021 11:54 AM

(10-17-2021 11:08 AM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  Hallet came directly from a D3 program (not named Mount Union), with zero experience at the FBS level. His only prior exp. before UT was at the D3 level. I can't believe he wasn't part of the Ward and George cuts 2 years back. He belongs back down at the D3 level. Our o-line is an absolute embarrassment, especially to our once-proud tradition in the trenches. The CBS announcers kept mentioning how CMU had 6 sacks in 12 plays, think about that...our o-line allowed 6 sacks in 12 plays during a stretch of the game. They should've been forced to walk home yesterday.

Sounds to me that they should never have been here in the first place and the coaches are the ones who should have been forced to walk home. (Then hopefully pack up their things, put a sign in their front yard and keep on walking)

RE: Finn or Bradley ? - northcoastRocket - 10-17-2021 12:12 PM

Hallett is also a Mount Union alum. At least he has higher level experience that Weiner did coming straight out of HS.

It's clear that if an opponent brings more than 4 rushers, most times the O linemen have no idea who they are supposed to block. So many times you will see a lineman completely ignore the blitz and just turn a guy loose as if someone else is supposed to pick them up, but there never is anyone there. Unclear to me who is supposed to ID the blitzes in the UT scheme - typically it's the center or the QB, but given every play is a check-with-me to the sideline, I am not sure any on-field player is calling that at all. Not that it is much better when they rush only 4, as there is about a 75% chance of at least 1 lineman getting beaten cleanly, so it sure doesn't seem they are being coached up in technique either.

RE: Finn or Bradley ? - pono - 10-17-2021 04:44 PM

(10-17-2021 12:12 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  Hallett is also a Mount Union alum. At least he has higher level experience that Weiner did coming straight out of HS.

It's clear that if an opponent brings more than 4 rushers, most times the O linemen have no idea who they are supposed to block. So many times you will see a lineman completely ignore the blitz and just turn a guy loose as if someone else is supposed to pick them up, but there never is anyone there. Unclear to me who is supposed to ID the blitzes in the UT scheme - typically it's the center or the QB, but given every play is a check-with-me to the sideline, I am not sure any on-field player is calling that at all. Not that it is much better when they rush only 4, as there is about a 75% chance of at least 1 lineman getting beaten cleanly, so it sure doesn't seem they are being coached up in technique either.

this.

olinemen are getting beat one on one. and olinemen are not working together to adjust their blocks to stunts and blitzes. We get beat both ways. Add to that total lack on sync on run blocking traps, pulls, etc... and it's ugly to watch. We've got multiple linemen in the backfield on run plays and multiple linemen waving at air near the line pass blocking when they should be forming a pocket. With Finn you get the escapability but you also get less recognition of the defensive play calls and less decisiveness on how we attack the defense each play.

Yeah, I think Bradley is the better QB but you can't put him out there under this scheme with this line. Play him in a pass heavy scheme that keeps the defensive front off balance or play Finn in a run heavy scheme that gets our big guys moving forward.

Finally, do we have a single TE/H back that can block?

RE: Finn or Bradley ? - Springboromark - 10-17-2021 06:34 PM

Can't do nothing about the weaknesses this season,. it is what it is. The MAC title for all intends and purposes is gone. With already 4 loses, I am looking at a 7-5 or 6-6 record. I would hope this team does not go bowling. I can only hope with the experience that Finn, Bradley and company will accumulate this season, will signal a far better offensive performance next season.

RE: Finn or Bradley ? - Michigan Rocket - 10-17-2021 07:22 PM

Five plays changed the game. #1 - lousy 19 yard punt by Flint out of the end zone. Gave them 6 points. #2 choosing to go for it on 4th down instead of kicking the Field goal in the 2nd quarter. #3 missing the field goal in the 1st quarter. He had the distance of 49 yards, not the accuracy. #4 allowing CMU to march down the field against our porous "D" right before the half when CMU kicked the Field Goal and #5 STUPID STUPID penalty in O/T moving us back and subsequently missing the Field Goal to tie the the game. I heard/read somewhere that we lead THE NATION in number of penalties per game which equates to the total number of yards per game. UN-FLIPPIN-BELIEVABLE.

RE: Finn or Bradley ? - MidnightBlueGold - 10-17-2021 08:13 PM

(10-17-2021 07:22 PM)Michigan Rocket Wrote:  Five plays changed the game. #1 - lousy 19 yard punt by Flint out of the end zone. Gave them 6 points. #2 choosing to go for it on 4th down instead of kicking the Field goal in the 2nd quarter. #3 missing the field goal in the 1st quarter. He had the distance of 49 yards, not the accuracy. #4 allowing CMU to march down the field against our porous "D" right before the half when CMU kicked the Field Goal and #5 STUPID STUPID penalty in O/T moving us back and subsequently missing the Field Goal to tie the the game. I heard/read somewhere that we lead THE NATION in number of penalties per game which equates to the total number of yards per game. UN-FLIPPIN-BELIEVABLE.

We average 9.7 penalties/gm, 2nd most behind only Ole Miss (10.2/gm). Meanwhile, Army has the fewest/gm at 3.5/gm.

We have the 4th most penalty yards/gm at 86.8, behind Arizona St (89.7), UAB (89.1), and Ole Miss (88.3). EASTERN MICHIGAN has the least penalty yards/gm in the country at 33.0/gm.

The average is 6.3 penalties/gm and 55.6 yards/gm.