CSNbbs
Did Britton know? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Did Britton know? (/thread-932080.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Did Britton know? - All4One - 10-14-2021 11:10 PM

Did Britton Banowsky know ahead of time that the next round of realignment could be the most crippling for CUSA, so he chose to retire promptly after Western Kentucky was added? He didn't want the potential death of CUSA to be on him?

Honestly, would CUSA be in any better position now had Banowsky stayed as commissioner than would Judy MacLeod? I'm curious if there were particular decisions Judy made that had a severe negative impact that would've been uncharacteristic if Britton had made them.

RE: Did Britton know? - baruna falls - 10-15-2021 03:13 AM

Am linking an article from what I believe was the very first
G5 Conference blog. It's no longer being updated but the guy who wrote it had some interesting articles. Here is one on Banowsky leaving. https://g5conferencenews.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2015-07-20T05:43:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=35&by-date=false&m=0

He was also somewhat correct with his article on what would happen to the Conf USA TV contract .
https://g5conferencenews.blogspot.com/2015/01/conference-usa-next-tv-contract-most.html?m=0

RE: Did Britton know? - All4One - 10-15-2021 04:18 AM

(10-15-2021 03:13 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  Am linking an article from what I believe was the very first
G5 Conference blog. It's no longer being updated but the guy who wrote it had some interesting articles. Here is one on Banowsky leaving. https://g5conferencenews.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2015-07-20T05:43:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=35&by-date=false&m=0

He was also somewhat correct with his article on what would happen to the Conf USA TV contract .
https://g5conferencenews.blogspot.com/2015/01/conference-usa-next-tv-contract-most.html?m=0

Looking at this quote from that second link:
Quote:CLUE 3: ESPN IS THE GODFATHER OF SPORTS AND THE GODFATHER MAY NOT BE PLEASED WITH CONFERENCE USA: In 2011 ESPN and Conference USA settled a law suit in which ESPN claimed Conference USA ditched its tv contract agreement with them. As a result, Fox Sports won the right to broadcast most of the Conference USA games leaving ESPN with only the Conference USA Title Game.(the ESPN title game ends in 2015) Conference USA gambled that Fox Sports would soon rival ESPN and put most of its proverbial eggs in the Fox basket. In hindsight, this was as bad as betting the house on the XFL( a horrible league pro football league that folded almost as quickly as it started) vs the NFL. In short, Conference USA rolled the dice and made a mistake in not keeping ESPN as its money maker. Now ESPN is even stronger, more powerful and most importantly in a position to make or break College Conferences. Conference USA

2011 and anything that led up to that settlement would've been squarely on Banowsky and possibly leaders of former members of the league, who could've had a hand in that mess.

I get the feeling that this particular incident was what became the lead-in for Banowsky to consider retiring. It sounds like it put Judy MacLeod in a very awkward position and that renegotiations with ESPN weren't even an option because of things he may have done along with some former members of the league.

You would think that the former Sun Belt members, who left for CUSA shortly after this lawsuit was settled, would've picked up on that. Or maybe they didn't see it as a big deal? Well, apparently it is.

RE: Did Britton know? - baruna falls - 10-15-2021 07:04 AM

(10-15-2021 04:18 AM)All4One Wrote:  
(10-15-2021 03:13 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  Am linking an article from what I believe was the very first

Quote:CLUE 3: ESPN IS THE GODFATHER OF SPORTS AND THE GODFATHER MAY NOT BE PLEASED WITH CONFERENCE USA: In 2011 ESPN and Conference USA settled a law suit in which ESPN claimed Conference USA ditched its tv contract agreement with them. As a result, Fox Sports won the right to broadcast most of the Conference USA games leaving ESPN with only the Conference USA Title Game.(the ESPN title game ends in 2015) Conference USA gambled that Fox Sports would soon rival ESPN and put most of its proverbial eggs in the Fox basket. In hindsight, this was as bad as betting the house on the XFL( a horrible league pro football league that folded almost as quickly as it started) vs the NFL. In short, Conference USA rolled the dice and made a mistake in not keeping ESPN as its money maker. Now ESPN is even stronger, more powerful and most importantly in a position to make or break College Conferences. Conference USA

2011 and anything that led up to that settlement would've been squarely on Banowsky and possibly leaders of former members of the league, who could've had a hand in that mess.

I get the feeling that this particular incident was what became the lead-in for Banowsky to consider retiring. It sounds like it put Judy MacLeod in a very awkward position and that renegotiations with ESPN weren't even an option because of things he may have done along with some former members of the league.

You would think that the former Sun Belt members, who left for CUSA shortly after this lawsuit was settled, would've picked up on that. Or maybe they didn't see it as a big deal? Well, apparently it is.

That Banowsky left CUSA in the middle of TV contact talks says a great deal imo about why Banowsky left CUSa when he did. As far as Judy she is the consummate Administrator. She is not however a revolutionary leader. Conf USA needs the later right now not the former.

RE: Did Britton know? - HiddenDragon - 10-15-2021 07:06 AM

CUSA should be disbanded.

RE: Did Britton know? - MinerInWisconsin - 10-15-2021 07:28 AM

(10-15-2021 07:06 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  CUSA should be disbanded.

Overly simplistic statement that would only be made by someone that is very confident their school has a new conference home waiting for them.

The schools left behind after this round of realignment, likely 8 or more, will stay together at least long enough to collect exit fees and rebuild the conference. CUSA will probably only need 2 added schools and possibly none. 10 is a good number for a conference and I have no doubt CUSA will at least have that many when the dust settles.

RE: Did Britton know? - All4One - 10-15-2021 07:49 AM

(10-15-2021 07:04 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  
(10-15-2021 04:18 AM)All4One Wrote:  

That Banowsky left CUSA in the middle of TV contact talks says a great deal imo about why Banowsky left CUSa when he did. As far as Judy she is the consummate Administrator. She is not however a revolutionary leader. Conf USA needs the later right now not the former.

I'd be interested to know more about what went down with that lawsuit with ESPN. Surely Banowsky didn't engage in that fiasco by himself.

RE: Did Britton know? - THUNDERStruck73 - 10-15-2021 08:15 AM

Oh, I 100% believe that he saw the writing on the wall, turned tail, and ran.

RE: Did Britton know? - Ourland - 10-15-2021 08:17 AM

(10-15-2021 07:28 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

Overly simplistic statement that would only be made by someone that is very confident their school has a new conference home waiting for them.

The schools left behind after this round of realignment, likely 8 or more, will stay together at least long enough to collect exit fees and rebuild the conference. CUSA will probably only need 2 added schools and possibly none. 10 is a good number for a conference and I have no doubt CUSA will at least have that many when the dust settles.

That's right.

RE: Did Britton know? - JCMiner - 10-15-2021 08:29 AM

When people reach the top they tend to forget who was there for them at their lowest point.

RE: Did Britton know? - sunamiwave - 10-15-2021 09:36 AM

CUSA will expand alright but will be begging for-profit colleges like the University of Phoenix and ITT Technical Institute to start-up Division I football programs in order to get to ten teams. Schools like James Madison and Liberty would rather stay where they are than join the CUSA dumpster fire.

RE: Did Britton know? - FAU Connoisseur! - 10-15-2021 09:41 AM

05-deadhorse

RE: Did Britton know? - All4One - 10-15-2021 10:01 AM

(10-15-2021 09:36 AM)sunamiwave Wrote:  

CUSA will expand alright but will be begging for-profit colleges like the University of Phoenix and ITT Technical Institute to start-up Division I football programs in order to get to ten teams. Schools like James Madison and Liberty would rather stay where they are than join the CUSA dumpster fire.

And yet you can't even spell "tsunami." This topic isn't an expansion topic. It's intended to understand the root cause of the current situation that Conference USA faces that may have began with the former commissioner. Take your expansion s*** to a different topic or the realignment forum.

RE: Did Britton know? - THUNDERStruck73 - 10-15-2021 10:42 AM

If Marshall doesn’t get an AAC invite and doesn’t go to the SBC, I would imagine that we would lobby hard for JMU. CUSA has ZERO leverage. Zero.

RE: Did Britton know? - KAjunRaider - 10-15-2021 11:06 AM

(10-15-2021 08:29 AM)JCMiner Wrote:  When people reach the top they tend to forget who was there for them at their lowest point.

04-bow

RE: Did Britton know? - blazerjay - 10-15-2021 11:40 AM

(10-15-2021 08:29 AM)JCMiner Wrote:  

When people reach the top they tend to forget who was there for them at their lowest point.

Don't take what HD says as indicative of the vast majority of UAB supporters. He is definitely an outlier that seems to get his jollies by being a contrarian & stirring things up.

RE: Did Britton know? - KevMo4UAB - 10-15-2021 11:55 AM

(10-15-2021 11:40 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  

Don't take what HD says as indicative of the vast majority of UAB supporters. He is definitely an outlier that seems to get his jollies by being a contrarian & stirring things up.

+1

I appreciate everything C-USA did for UAB at our darkest moments.

RE: Did Britton know? - All4One - 10-15-2021 11:56 AM

(10-15-2021 11:40 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  

03-2thumbsup

RE: Did Britton know? - DaBigBlue - 10-15-2021 12:01 PM

I think the bigger question. Did he know Judy would be so bad. If he did, that's shameful.

RE: Did Britton know? - All4One - 10-15-2021 12:15 PM

(10-15-2021 12:01 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  I think the bigger question. Did he know Judy would be so bad. If he did, that's shameful.

But what is it specifically about Judy that makes her bad? Has she done anything as commissioner that Britton himself wouldn't have done?