CSNbbs
JMU replacement? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+---- Thread: JMU replacement? (/thread-930923.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

JMU replacement? - geewizNU - 09-30-2021 02:01 PM

There have been a few reports that say Queens University in Charlotte is being vetted by the CAA and ASUN for membership.

Queens filled in last year for NU in a DC tournament when they had a Covid outbreak. They held their own losing to Mason by 1, beating Howard by 15 and losing to Belmont.

It's a small school though, just 2,500 students.
We'll see...

https://twitter.com/low_madness/status/1443570706369875970?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSnv77WAtnw

RE: JMU replacement? - jcohen42 - 09-30-2021 02:41 PM

This reads like desperation from the CAA's part, and an acceptance of where it's headed in the conference hierarchy. If Drexel wasn't already kicking the tires on an America East return, they should be now.

RE: JMU replacement? - hburg - 10-01-2021 11:48 AM

The CAA seems to be on life support....

RE: JMU replacement? - Bogg - 10-04-2021 01:42 PM

I don't get it. Monmouth is right there...

RE: JMU replacement? - solohawks - 10-04-2021 01:57 PM

(10-04-2021 01:42 PM)Bogg Wrote:  I don't get it. Monmouth is right there...

Would Monmouth leave a bus league of similar stature so their FCS football team can have a better conference?

The CAA is in a tough spot as the most attractive/desirable candidates are either in leagues higher on the food chain or or in leagues of similar stature with much less travel.

RE: JMU replacement? - Bogg - 10-04-2021 02:38 PM

(10-04-2021 01:57 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(10-04-2021 01:42 PM)Bogg Wrote:  I don't get it. Monmouth is right there...

Would Monmouth leave a bus league of similar stature so their FCS football team can have a better conference?

The CAA is in a tough spot as the most attractive/desirable candidates are either in leagues higher on the food chain or or in leagues of similar stature with much less travel.

I think so? The MAAC is actually a nice little upper-low-major league with a coherent identity, but football has nothing to do with that identity. Trading their Big South affiliate status for full membership in a football league with Villanova, Delaware, Stony Brook, and Albany seems like it'd be attractive.

Either way, I'd be shocked if the CAA couldn't pull a school out of an existing FCS conference.

RE: JMU replacement? - jcohen42 - 10-05-2021 03:21 PM

Monmouth switching football affiliation from the Big South to the CAA makes sense. It fits in the footprint and would raise the profile of the program.

I cannot imagine Monmouth switching their other sports to the CAA. Monmouth is already in a geographically compact conference with schools that it fits with, and the CAA isn't an obvious upgrade. Perhaps if the northern CAA schools and the America East merge, that conference would be attractive enough to tempt Monmouth, but to me it just doesn't make sense otherwise.

RE: JMU replacement? - mikeinsec127 - 10-05-2021 09:26 PM

(10-05-2021 03:21 PM)jcohen42 Wrote:  Monmouth switching football affiliation from the Big South to the CAA makes sense. It fits in the footprint and would raise the profile of the program.

I cannot imagine Monmouth switching their other sports to the CAA. Monmouth is already in a geographically compact conference with schools that it fits with, and the CAA isn't an obvious upgrade. Perhaps if the northern CAA schools and the America East merge, that conference would be attractive enough to tempt Monmouth, but to me it just doesn't make sense otherwise.

UDEL and Towson would be natural fits for AE. In fact, they both once were in the AE. They are both eastern publics and help to fill the hole in the current footprint between NJIT and UMBC. Bring in URI, Nova and Monmouth as football associates to make a really nice Northeastern conference. BU might get included, but not Hofstra. Hofstra has repeatably blocked Stoney Brook from getting a CAA invite, I have to think SB would return the favor if given the opportunity.

RE: JMU replacement? - dan10 - 10-06-2021 02:07 PM

I think the CAA is going to split completely. They goofed up last time not going divisions, and there wont be enough movement this go around to make up for list time. Our position this go around is much worse too. I think we get raided by the AE and SoCon. If the CAA survives, I have to believe itll be a more northern focused league. I do hope the league is serious about survival and gets aggressive on getting legit north south split, without it the league makes no sense (and hasnt since the last go around)

RE: JMU replacement? - dan10 - 10-06-2021 02:09 PM

With that said, I think the old yankee conference becomes a reality again under the AE league. If the CAA stays steadfast on football running the show, then they should be attacking the AE again to make those associate members, full time members.

RE: JMU replacement? - Bogg - 10-07-2021 02:55 PM

(10-05-2021 03:21 PM)jcohen42 Wrote:  Monmouth switching football affiliation from the Big South to the CAA makes sense. It fits in the footprint and would raise the profile of the program.

Monmouth would have to be all or nothing - I have to imagine that the (in this scenario) four remaining football-playing CAA members would insist on getting back to a 50/50 split in the conference to avoid losing control over the CAA and to avoid the CAA potentially losing control of CAAF.

It'd be a question of what Monmouth prioritizes in football vs. travel costs. Genuinely a question mark, but a Northeastern-Hofstra-Monmouth-Drexel group of northeastern privates may be attractive to them. Otherwise you're looking at, like.....Campbell or NEC schools.

RE: JMU replacement? - Sitting bull - 10-10-2021 06:24 PM

Furman

RE: JMU replacement? - Sitting bull - 10-10-2021 06:26 PM

(10-01-2021 11:48 AM)hburg Wrote:  The CAA seems to be on life support....

Not as much as the conferences you aspire to join.
CUSA?
Sun Belch?

RE: JMU replacement? - solohawks - 10-10-2021 11:36 PM

(10-10-2021 06:24 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  Furman

Not a realistic candidate

RE: JMU replacement? - dan10 - 10-15-2021 01:36 PM

Yeah the SoCon has zipped past the CAA and has a positive future and outlook. I dont think its realistic this time to be able to bring any of those members in, even if we tried.

RE: JMU replacement? - jcohen42 - 10-17-2021 05:33 PM

(10-10-2021 06:26 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  
(10-01-2021 11:48 AM)hburg Wrote:  The CAA seems to be on life support....

Not as much as the conferences you aspire to join.
CUSA?
Sun Belch?
Wishful thinking. The SBC is in a very good spot right now, and even the CUSA is in better shape than the CAA.

RE: JMU replacement? - DFW HOYA - 10-20-2021 05:24 PM

If the CAA wanted to add teams (and they may eventually choose not to), the choices are either in the Patriot, MEAC, or Monmouth.

RE: JMU replacement? - jcohen42 - 10-20-2021 11:26 PM

Ol' Mr. Yeager had some thoughts about a post-JMU CAA, none of them all too inspiring: https://herosports.com/fcs-football-jmu-fbs-caa-dsds/

RE: JMU replacement? - solohawks - 10-20-2021 11:38 PM

(10-20-2021 05:24 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  If the CAA wanted to add teams (and they may eventually choose not to), the choices are either in the Patriot, MEAC, or Monmouth.

I bet we could get Campbell of the Big South

RE: JMU replacement? - Bogg - 10-21-2021 11:36 AM

(10-20-2021 11:38 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(10-20-2021 05:24 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  If the CAA wanted to add teams (and they may eventually choose not to), the choices are either in the Patriot, MEAC, or Monmouth.

I bet we could get Campbell of the Big South

Yea, with absolutely zero inside information, purely looking at things online, it seems like Campbell and Monmouth would be the two likeliest candidates.