CSNbbs
Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? (/thread-930141.html)

Pages: 1 2

Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - jjj - 09-20-2021 08:42 PM

Since this is the anniversary of that historic victory, where were you and what do you remember?

I was at a bar on Weed St. in Chicago, (was the name Joe's?, right near North
Ave because they had the game on there). I remember the bar chanting NIU!
NIU! over and over when we one, and people were standing on tables and the bar celebrating the unbelievable victory.The bar was packed.

That night, NIU was the talk of ESPN and College Game Day, and one announcer said" Hell, put them in the top 25!!!" It wasnt Lee Corso, but a large guy who is still doing college football...forgot his name....
The following week NIU made its first top 25 appearance and the college football hall of fame requested an NIU helmet.

Fans greeted the team when they returned to campus around 4am in the morning.

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN - 09-20-2021 08:48 PM

(09-20-2021 08:42 PM)jjj Wrote:  Since this is the anniversary of that historic victory, where were you and what do you remember?

NIU! over and over when we one, and people were standing on tables and the bar celebrating the unbelievable victory.The bar was packed.

That night, NIU was the talk of ESPN and College Game Day, and one announcer said" Hell, put them in the top 25!!!" It wasnt Lee Corso, but a large guy who is still doing college football...forgot his name....
The following week NIU made its first top 25 appearance and the college football hall of fame requested an NIU helmet.

I was at the game! COGS

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - jjprender - 09-20-2021 09:00 PM

(09-20-2021 08:42 PM)jjj Wrote:  Since this is the anniversary of that historic victory, where were you and what do you remember?

Also Joes on Weed Street! And I believe the feed was delayed for the 1st quarter.

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - randyfensfanclub1 - 09-20-2021 09:03 PM

Lake Geneva after all day drinking listening on AM radio out of Rockford I think, could barley hear it. Went nuts with another NIU grad

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - jjj - 09-20-2021 09:11 PM

Yes, the feed was delayed for about half a quarter at Joe's and when it came in the score was like 6-2............I was sitting next to a man who had an
"Alabama" shirt on...he walked out in disgust after the game and the NIU fans were pointing to him as chanting "NIU,NIU,NIU"...when he left.

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - NIU75 - 09-20-2021 09:12 PM

Doing the happy dance in the garage by myself after the victory. The Chevy had the only radio in the house.

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - UnknownScout - 09-20-2021 09:14 PM

I was up visiting my girlfriend (now wife) and we were in one of the Stevenson basements watching with a bunch of other students, it was a blast!

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - 142niu - 09-20-2021 11:54 PM

Neil Young concert at the Irvine Meadows (Orange County, CA) with my future wife. I couldn't believe the score. Thought it was a mistake. Unfortunately, I didn't watch the game that day.

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - huskie87fan - 09-21-2021 01:37 AM

Eating at The Junction listening to the game on their sound system and then heading over to the Convo to watch the game on the old crappy video scoreboard with a few hundred other fans.

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - niu_1087 - 09-21-2021 02:43 AM

(09-20-2021 11:54 PM)142niu Wrote:  Neil Young concert at the Irvine Meadows (Orange County, CA) with my future wife. I couldn't believe the score. Thought it was a mistake. Unfortunately, I didn't watch the game that day.

Neil does put on a great show though

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - pantone1935 - 09-21-2021 07:35 AM

gate 28 sec n-8 row 28 seat 12

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - HawaiiToNIU - 09-21-2021 07:37 AM

Unfortunately, I didn't even know NIU existed yet.

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - Splooie99 - 09-21-2021 08:01 AM

I was watching from my living room in Newberg OR, outside of Portland. What a fun time to be a Huskie fan. First AL, Maryland and IA State all in the same season. Then the devastation of losing in conference twice. Regardless, it was a magical year.

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - NIU007 - 09-21-2021 08:15 AM

I was at home listening to it on the radio.

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - badmoonrising13 - 09-21-2021 08:28 AM

I was at Bryant-Denny Stadium watching the Bama fans tailgate like I've never seen before. Then I watched them react in disbelief but they were very complimentary of our team afterwards. Southern hospitality at its finest.

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - HuskieJohn - 09-21-2021 08:36 AM

Was at a wedding in far Western IL. Kept on sneaking out to the car to listen to the minimal reception on the radio.

Also I got a wound earlier that day that left an almost 1" scar on my hand. Every now and then I look at that scar thinking that I got it the day NIU beat Bama at Bama.

One of my pin numbers is 1916
(no bank accounts so I don't mind sharing)

Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - Dog Fan - 09-21-2021 08:39 AM

I took a nice warm bubble bath. Then, after my wife dried me off, I put on my plush robe and puffy slippers and watched the game in my living room. My wife brought in bottles of water and a tray of hot dogs for me to enjoy throughout the game.

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - pjfleck82 - 09-21-2021 09:42 AM

Listening on 670. I remember WSCR picked up the game. It was nice being on WSCR for those handful of years.

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - GoNIU1 - 09-21-2021 09:47 AM

Watching on Dish Pay per view, holding my 5 month old daughter. Almost dropped her once when I was jumping up and down02-13-banana

RE: Where were you when NIU beat Alabama in 2003? - NIUfilmmaker - 09-21-2021 09:53 AM

In the stands in Alabama, solo. I was on a road trip and took a 4-hour detour to attend. Bought a ticket on tbe street, solo NIU fan sitting in a Bama family seat block. They were very nice, but most Bama fans were suicidal after the game.