CSNbbs
C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days (/thread-925172.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - TOPSTRAIGHT - 07-15-2021 05:51 PM

Nine other FBS conferences disagree with CoachMaclid. No one on this board should be an apologist for this moronic decision.

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - HogDawg - 07-15-2021 05:59 PM

(07-15-2021 03:52 PM)webster Wrote:  We need a new commissioner now! Also, any president's or ADs that still support her or supported this choice should be shown the door too.

^^^^^THIS!!!

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - HogDawg - 07-15-2021 06:02 PM

(07-15-2021 04:20 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  
(07-15-2021 04:00 PM)webster Wrote:  
(07-15-2021 03:55 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(07-15-2021 03:52 PM)webster Wrote:  We need a new commissioner now! Also, any president's or ADs that still support her or supported this choice should be shown the door too.

Guess you did not read the article? Let me quote

Quote:Sources have also indicated that this wasn’t Judy’s decision to make. The 14 Athletic Directors voted on whether or not to travel to Frisco to have the event. While there’s no tally for who voted for what, it’s safe to assume we all know why the majority favored a virtual event despite conference peers leaning towards having their media days in person.

Guess you didn't read my post? I said the ADs in favor of such a decision should be blamed as well. Regardless, lets not pretend like Judy was a solo warrior fighting for the choice to attend. We know she chickened out as quick as any AD did. She has not earned any benefit of the doubt.

I really want to know which AD's voted against holding the media day event. This is the kind of crap that holds C-USA back and just another reason why no network values airing our content. Just pathetic.

I second that motion. Agree completely. I want NAMES.

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - HogDawg - 07-15-2021 06:07 PM

(07-15-2021 05:05 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  
(07-15-2021 04:57 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  A really short sighted decision. Is money the actual reason? If so the conference is in worse trouble than we thought. If we are the only FBS conference NOT to hold in person media days we will get roasted by other G5's, all media, recruiters,etc.. Three or four schools could drive to the event. Conference officials LIVE in the area. Are commercial (not 1st class) flights to Dallas that expensive???

I would sure like to know how our AD voted (WKU). It is LAME. SMALL-TIME.

If the vote was somewhat close this might be the beginning of the end of the conference in the current set-up. IF-- I say IF this story blows up big nationally in college sports media there may be permanent fallout.

Embarrassing.

Could this provide more impetus for stronger consideration of a conference breakup? Probably not-- BUT-- it is sure to be added to the list of grievances by schools who entertain thoughts. Of course they have nowhere to go. But they may try a little harder to brainstorm some alternative.

UNT is 24 miles from Frisco, and UNT is an official partner of the Dallas Cowboys. I have no doubt that Baker voted to hold an in person media event. I'd think the other Texas programs and LA Tech were in favor of an in person event too. If I had to guess, I'd bet the votes against it came from mostly eastern AD's.

Me too. I know the LA Tech officials were already planning to drive over because I have a lunch meeting scheduled with a couple of them here in Frisco/McKinney next week. This announcement is so late it makes me wonder if something else is up in the East.

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - TOPSTRAIGHT - 07-15-2021 06:11 PM

Some of these "leaders" have their head in a place "where the sun don't shine" !!!

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - blazers9911 - 07-15-2021 06:21 PM

Can you tell me how one gets rid of a President? We still have the same ding dong that shut down football and got votes of no confidence across the board.

I’d like to think UAB wasn’t one of the schools that voted against this, but who knows.

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - Side.Show.Joe - 07-15-2021 06:21 PM

(07-15-2021 06:07 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  
(07-15-2021 04:57 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  A really short sighted decision. Is money the actual reason? If so the conference is in worse trouble than we thought. If we are the only FBS conference NOT to hold in person media days we will get roasted by other G5's, all media, recruiters,etc.. Three or four schools could drive to the event. Conference officials LIVE in the area. Are commercial (not 1st class) flights to Dallas that expensive???

If the vote was somewhat close this might be the beginning of the end of the conference in the current set-up. IF-- I say IF this story blows up big nationally in college sports media there may be permanent fallout.

Embarrassing.

Could this provide more impetus for stronger consideration of a conference breakup? Probably not-- BUT-- it is sure to be added to the list of grievances by schools who entertain thoughts. Of course they have nowhere to go. But they may try a little harder to brainstorm some alternative.

UNT is 24 miles from Frisco, and UNT is an official partner of the Dallas Cowboys. I have no doubt that Baker voted to hold an in person media event. I'd think the other Texas programs and LA Tech were in favor of an in person event too. If I had to guess, I'd bet the votes against it came from mostly eastern AD's.

Me too. I know the LA Tech officials were already planning to drive over because I have a lunch meeting scheduled with a couple of them here in Frisco/McKinney next week. This announcement is so late it makes me wonder if something else is up in the East.

Nice to see we can find some common ground on this issue. If I hear something on my end, I will pass the names along to you.

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - HogDawg - 07-15-2021 06:25 PM

(07-15-2021 06:21 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  
(07-15-2021 06:07 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  

Embarrassing.

Nice to see we can find some common ground on this issue. If I hear something on my end, I will pass the names along to you.

Thank you. The guys I'm meeting with are high up in the athletic department and they are generally pretty candid with me about this kind of stuff. I'll let you know if I hear anything too.

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - Fort Bend Owl - 07-15-2021 06:35 PM

I'll actually raise a contrarian view, and say I really don't mind this decision. I've attended many conference Media Days in the long ago past (the SWC just to show you how long ago it was). And yes, in the 1990's, Media Days were significant.

But in this day and age, it is really necessary to have a traditional Media Day event anymore? Conferences are spread out. The media world is changing by the day. Newspapers are dying. Much of the coverage these days is via social media, and I can't imagine many social media outlets want to spend the money to send someone to the CUSA Media Day in the DFW area.

The important thing is to get our best players some media attention. But I don't think doing interviews by Zoom or Teams (or whatever service they use) is going to hurt their stock one bit. Just make sure you organize a well-run video teleconference and it will be fine.

NBC isn't covering the British Open live - they're announcing from their East Coast studios watching the international feed. Times are changing in the sports world.

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - rileylives - 07-15-2021 06:36 PM

(07-15-2021 03:25 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  As much as we all want to rag on Judy for everything, and rightfully so, our AD’s are responsible for this according to the article.

This. I will criticize Judy when deserved, but this was not her call.

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - mturn017 - 07-15-2021 06:40 PM

Obviously mostly eastern schools. I imagine something like this takes a simple majority vote though so someone from the west would have to vote against. I’m frankly surprised a majority of the eastern schools would vote for this. It’s a terrible idea. I wonder if there’s a deeper schism in conference politics. Maybe some cost sharing debate, I know the conference helps schools with Bowl cost but do they for things like this or do schools pick up the whole tab? Have the spring meetings virtual if you want but media days? That just looks low rent.

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - Side.Show.Joe - 07-15-2021 07:01 PM

BREAKING NEWS!!!! Judy McLeod & athletic directors unveil new C-USA logo via Zoom meeting with media.

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbobwarfield.com%2Fwp-con...amp;nofb=1]

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - WKUYG - 07-15-2021 07:06 PM

Optics look bad but its hard for me to complain about something when I dont have the full or partial reason...

with in 3 years I predict all conference will put their show on by streaming and not everyone in one city. The main goal for any conference can be reached without any media day. Win your OOC games and always have a strong top 4. Even if a couple rotate in and out.

Do that and you get the press you want. I have a question, who actually sits down and watched the CUSA media day, other than SideShowJoe? If so what do you get from it that you didnt already know? I've watched 5 or 10 minutes or clicked on quotes/interviews. But I never sit through and watched more than that. Did I miss anything?

If Western comes out of OOC play at 1-3 I will be a lot more disappointed

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - HogDawg - 07-15-2021 07:19 PM

(07-15-2021 06:35 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I'll actually raise a contrarian view, and say I really don't mind this decision. I've attended many conference Media Days in the long ago past (the SWC just to show you how long ago it was). And yes, in the 1990's, Media Days were significant.

But in this day and age, it is really necessary to have a traditional Media Day event anymore? Conferences are spread out. The media world is changing by the day. Newspapers are dying. Much of the coverage these days is via social media, and I can't imagine many social media outlets want to spend the money to send someone to the CUSA Media Day in the DFW area.

The important thing is to get our best players some media attention. But I don't think doing interviews by Zoom or Teams (or whatever service they use) is going to hurt their stock one bit. Just make sure you organize a well-run video teleconference and it will be fine.

NBC isn't covering the British Open live - they're announcing from their East Coast studios watching the international feed. Times are changing in the sports world.

When I read stuff like this above, I suddenly realize why this conference is in the crappy shape it's in. We have too many fans in this conference that think they are smart, but JUST DON'T GET IT!

College Media Days events are all about whipping the MEDIA into shape. It's the opportunity for the conferences to say, "Hey, summer vacation is over, and football season is about to start. Get off you azz (to the media people), get excited anout covering Marshall University and do your job! Oh, and let me tell you right now why you WANT to attend every one of our games this year, etc.........." It's also a chance for MEDIA people to personally meet all the head coaches and some key players. Recruits like media day, because they want attention for their chosen school.

And yes, even though some of you lovable neanderthals don't know it, Big Media still attends most of these events. This is a huge miss for our conference. Especially since America is just now coming out of its' shell. Now is NO TIME for CUSA to climb back in a shell.

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - Side.Show.Joe - 07-15-2021 07:22 PM

(07-15-2021 07:06 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  Optics look bad but its hard for me to complain about something when I dont have the full or partial reason...

with in 3 years I predict all conference will put their show on by streaming and not everyone in one city. The main goal for any conference can be reached without any media day. Win your OOC games and always have a strong top 4. Even if a couple rotate in and out.

Do that and you get the press you want. I have a question, who actually sits down and watched the CUSA media day, other than SideShowJoe? If so what do you get from it that you didnt already know? I've watched 5 or 10 minutes or clicked on quotes/interviews. But I never sit through and watched more than that. Did I miss anything?

Ha! That's funny because I actually did watch both days live on ESPN+ last time. I enjoy hearing from the different coaches.

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - Dusky - 07-15-2021 07:23 PM

(07-15-2021 07:19 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  
(07-15-2021 06:35 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I'll actually raise a contrarian view, and say I really don't mind this decision. I've attended many conference Media Days in the long ago past (the SWC just to show you how long ago it was). And yes, in the 1990's, Media Days were significant.

When I read stuff like this above, I suddenly realize why this conference is in the crappy shape it's in. We have too many fans in this conference that think they are smart, but JUST DON'T GET IT!

College Media Days events are all about whipping the MEDIA into shape. It's the opportunity for the conferences to say, "Hey, summer vacation is over, and football season is about to start. Get off you azz (to the media people), get excited anout covering Marshall University and do your job! Oh, and let me tell you right now why you WANT to attend every one of our games this year, etc.........."

And yes, even though some of you lovable neanderthals don't know it, Big Media still attends most of these events. This is a huge miss for our conference. Especially since America is just now coming out of its' shell. Now is NO TIME for CUSA to climb back in a shell.

Brilliant response, just brilliant.

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - ghostofclt! - 07-15-2021 07:36 PM

6:00 AM

7:40 AM
American
2 hr 40 min
CLT–DFW
Nonstop
$260
round trip

7:38 AM

9:23 AM
American
2 hr 45 min
CLT–DFW
Nonstop
$260
round trip

11:50 AM

1:36 PM
American
2 hr 46 min
CLT–DFW
Nonstop
$260
round trip

1:30 PM

3:14 PM
American
2 hr 44 min
CLT–DFW
Nonstop
$260
round trip

2:51 PM

4:32 PM
American
2 hr 41 min
CLT–DFW
Nonstop
$260
round trip

4:26 PM

6:07 PM
American
2 hr 41 min
CLT–DFW
Nonstop
$260
round trip

6:05 PM

7:48 PM
American
2 hr 43 min
CLT–DFW
Nonstop
$260
round trip

7:10 PM

8:51 PM
American
2 hr 41 min
CLT–DFW
Nonstop
$260
round trip

9:30 AM

11:15 AM
American
2 hr 45 min
CLT–DFW
Nonstop
$297
round trip

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - ghostofclt! - 07-15-2021 07:36 PM

clt says Charlotte didn’t vote no go.

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - WKUYG - 07-15-2021 08:33 PM

(07-15-2021 07:22 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  
(07-15-2021 07:06 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  Optics look bad but its hard for me to complain about something when I dont have the full or partial reason...

Ha! That's funny because I actually did watch both days live on ESPN+ last time. I enjoy hearing from the different coaches.

I remember you saying that and its why pointed you out

RE: C-USA skips out on hosting traditional Media Days - HiddenDragon - 07-15-2021 09:16 PM

Wait, CUSA has a media day? Heck this is like discovering.....

[Image: giphy.gif]