CSNbbs
ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? (/thread-923289.html)

Pages: 1 2

ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - schmolik - 06-07-2021 03:45 PM

Suggested by FOX College Football Twitter:

https://twitter.com/CFBONFOX/status/1401992362792992768/photo/1

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - Pervis_Griffith - 06-07-2021 06:09 PM

(06-07-2021 03:45 PM)schmolik Wrote:  Suggested by FOX College Football Twitter:

Ohio State vs Clemson --- Clemson wins
Iowa vs North Carolina --- UNC wins in a laugher
Indiana vs Miamia --- Canes win, but it's closer than we want
Wisconsin vs Va Tech --- Hokies in a squeaker
Penn State vs NC State --- Wolf Pack, baby
Michigan vs Florida State --- FSU in a surprising laugher
Minnesota vs Virginia --- Virginia takes down a rebuilding Minnesota squad
Northwestern vs Pitt --- Pitt, easy
Rutgers vs Louisville --- C'Mon man. We still owe them for 2006. Cards win
Maryland vs Georgia Tech --- Yellow Jackets begin to flex. Turtles have no chance.
Purdue vs Wake --- Demon Deacons stifle the Boilers winning a close one.

Nebraska vs Boston College --- Frost is lost. BC is trending up. BC easy.
Michigan State vs Syracuse --- Orange in a huge upset.
Illinois vs Duke --- Dookies, comfortably.

Yeah, we should do this. 04-cheers

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - ChrisLords - 06-07-2021 06:11 PM

The bottom 6 teams in the B1G are 6 of the worst 10 teams in the P5 and top 8 teams are propped up by so many wins vs. those crappy teams. The ACC on the other hand is made up of a big middle with no teams in the bottom 10. If Clemson can beat tOSU and one of our other top 8 teams can beat a top 8 team from the B1G the ACC can win this easy.

The big question is whether or not you include ND in the ACC. Then take the top 14 ACC schools with ND vs. the B1G. Then the B1G would have little or no chance to win.

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - cuseroc - 06-07-2021 06:33 PM

(06-07-2021 06:09 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  
(06-07-2021 03:45 PM)schmolik Wrote:  Suggested by FOX College Football Twitter:

Maryland vs Georgia Tech --- Yellow Jackets begin to flex. Turtles have no chance.

Im sure your post was all tongue in cheek, but it reminds me of last year for the ACC/BIG basketball challenge where an ACC fan didnt have a BIG team winning a single game. How did that turn out again?
03-lmfao

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - Pervis_Griffith - 06-07-2021 07:48 PM

(06-07-2021 06:33 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(06-07-2021 06:09 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  

Im sure your post was all tongue in cheek, but it reminds me of last year for the ACC/BIG basketball challenge where an ACC fan didnt have a BIG team winning a single game. How did that turn out again?
03-lmfao

Yeah ... that was me ... but it's the off season. Time to dream. Not face brutal realities.

And in hoops ... Big Ten won, 7 - 5 with 2 games cancelled.

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - random asian guy - 06-07-2021 08:33 PM

What about starting some ACC - Big Ten rivalry series?

Pitt vs PSU
Cuse vs Rutgers
UVa vs UMCP

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - Hokie Mark - 06-07-2021 10:44 PM

(06-07-2021 08:33 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  What about starting some ACC - Big Ten rivalry series?

Pitt vs PSU
Cuse vs Rutgers
UVa vs UMCP

I would also consider something like this:

BC vs Rutgers
Cuse vs Mich. St
Pitt vs PSU
UVa vs UMCP
UL vs. Purdue
VT vs. Michigan

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - schmolik - 06-08-2021 05:48 AM

(06-07-2021 08:33 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  What about starting some ACC - Big Ten rivalry series?

Pitt vs PSU
Cuse vs Rutgers
UVa vs UMCP

You had me at Pitt-Penn State!

I'd also say as long as they are good Clemson and Ohio State should play every year but that's wishful thinking.

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - UpStreamRedTeam - 06-09-2021 06:28 PM

(06-07-2021 10:44 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Pitt vs PSU
Cuse vs Rutgers
UVa vs UMCP

I would also consider something like this:

BC vs Rutgers
Cuse vs Mich. St
Pitt vs PSU
UVa vs UMCP
UL vs. Purdue
VT vs. Michigan

Rutgers has already scheduled Syracuse (2021), BC (2022, 2026 and 2027) and VT (2023/24).

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - Statefan - 06-09-2021 07:31 PM

NC State used to play PSU most every year from 67 to 82.
We have played Michigan State several times.
Purdue is the Big 10 school most akin to NC State.
We have played MD 70 times.

Even after a decade in the B10 MD's most games are:

78 - UVa
70 - UNC and NC State
52 - Clemson and West Virginia
44 - Penn State

More people have to die before MD and NC State and/or UNC play football again.

I doubt anything like this can be arranged because it would have to suit the Big 10.

NC State has never played Wisky, Illinois, or NW
UNC has never played Purdue, Iowa, or Minn (but that's on tap)
UVa has never played Nebraska, MSU, Iowa, or NW
Clemson has next to no contact with the B10 over the last 120 years and has not played Wisconsin, Minn, MSU, Iowa, Indiana, NW, Purdue, or Rutgers.

PSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Michigan would be my favorites for NC State.

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - Schema - 06-09-2021 09:07 PM

According to this page, Clemson has played Maryland 62 times, but none since they left the ACC. I'm assuming it will stay that way for a long time.

They played Ohio State five times. All were in Bowls or CFP.

They played Illinois and Minnesota once each. Both were in Bowls.

They played Nebraska in two Bowls, but they were a member of the Big 8 and 12 at the time.

They played Penn State in a Bowl, but they were independent at the time.

Outside of Maryland, which doesn't count, they've never played any B1G opponent during the regular season and they've never played Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers, or Wisconsin at all.

That's kind of crazy.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/clemson/head-to-head.html

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - ChrisLords - 06-09-2021 10:53 PM

(06-09-2021 09:07 PM)Schema Wrote:  According to this page, Clemson has played Maryland 62 times, but none since they left the ACC. I'm assuming it will stay that way for a long time.

They played Nebraska in two Bowls, but they were a member of the Big 8 and 12 at the time.

Outside of Maryland, which doesn't count, they've never played any B1G opponent during the regular season and they've never played Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers, or Wisconsin at all.

That's kind of crazy.

They don't want to give up one of their precious OOC game spots to a B1G team when they can play SEC schools and Oklahoma.

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - Hokie Mark - 06-10-2021 02:54 PM

(06-09-2021 09:07 PM)Schema Wrote:  According to this page, Clemson has played Maryland 62 times, but none since they left the ACC. I'm assuming it will stay that way for a long time.

That's kind of crazy.

You're a Clemson fan - donate enough money and I'm sure they'll schedule whoever you want them to play!
04-deal

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - schmolik - 06-10-2021 03:56 PM

(06-09-2021 10:53 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  

That's kind of crazy.

They don't want to give up one of their precious OOC game spots to a B1G team when they can play SEC schools and Oklahoma.

Sure, why play Ohio State or Penn State when you can play the Mississippi schools?

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - Statefan - 06-10-2021 04:14 PM

That's kind of crazy.

It's not crazy. Big 10 teams would not come deep below the Mason-Dixon line until Jim Crow and Segregation was dead. That takes you into the mid 1970's for the deep south of which SC, Alabama, and Mississippi all qualified. Clemson's has historic ties to GT, UGa and Auburn in addition to Big Thursday with SC. Only in 1981 did Clemson start playing GT as a conference game.

Politically Clemson is under pressure to give a game to Furman, Presbyterian, or the Citadel and has played the three 136 times. Finally Clemson did not recruit or attempt to recruit the upper mid-West even for 5 star talent until the last decade so they had no reason to schedule schools that socially would not wipe their ass on Clemson.

So with one game dedicated to SC, one game dedicated to one of Georgia, GT, or Auburn, and one game dedicated to a SC based school, that doesn't leave Clemson but one open spot a year on average.

They just didn't need to waste the spot on what they saw as Yankee ass holes.

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - Statefan - 06-10-2021 04:45 PM

In Carolina's heyday, ND came to Chapel Hill in the 1950's and that series was a regular series. Navy came in 1957 and Pitt came in 1974. The first Big 10 school to come to UNC was Illinois in 1987. After 4 games at Michigan, Duke got Michigan to come to Durham in 1968. Pitt had been coming to Durham since 1929. Not until NW came to Duke in 1985 would another Big 10 team come to Durham. Penn State first came to NC State in 1969 after playing 4 games since the 1920's, but PSU was an independent. The first Big 10 team to come to Raleigh was Michigan State in 1976 after two NC State visits to MSU.

Big 10 teams simply didn't travel much below the Mason Dixon line until the 1970's. If they did travel, they wanted a 2 for 1 deal. For most of the 20th Century, neither the SoCon/ACC or the Big 10 had any reason to play each other.

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - Schema - 06-11-2021 12:38 AM

(06-10-2021 02:54 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  You're a Clemson fan - donate enough money and I'm sure they'll schedule whoever you want them to play!
04-deal

They get way too much of my money already. :) I like the way Clemson schedules. I'm just surprised that there has never once been a home and home with a B1G school.

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - CardinalJim - 06-11-2021 04:39 AM

Personally I would rather see an ACC / SEC football challenge. I just don’t see enough interest in a conference match up against The Big Ten. We are in a state that borders The Big Ten and there is almost zero Big Ten interest here.

Given the opportunity I would exchange The Big Ten for The SEC, or even The Big East, in the basketball challenge in a flat New York second. 07-coffee3

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - schmolik - 06-11-2021 06:03 AM

(06-11-2021 04:39 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Personally I would rather see an ACC / SEC football challenge. I just don’t see enough interest in a conference match up against The Big Ten. We are in a state that borders The Big Ten and there is almost zero Big Ten interest here.

Given the opportunity I would exchange The Big Ten for The SEC, or even The Big East, in the basketball challenge in a flat New York second. 07-coffee3

Football, I get it you'd rather play the SEC. Men's basketball you're playing the better conference. There are 13 other SEC teams not named Kentucky, you'd rather play any of them than play Indiana, Purdue, Ohio State, Michigan, or Michigan State?

RE: ACC/Big Ten FOOTBALL Challenge? - CardinalJim - 06-11-2021 09:49 AM

(06-11-2021 06:03 AM)schmolik Wrote:  
(06-11-2021 04:39 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Personally I would rather see an ACC / SEC football challenge. I just don’t see enough interest in a conference match up against The Big Ten. We are in a state that borders The Big Ten and there is almost zero Big Ten interest here.

Football, I get it you'd rather play the SEC. Men's basketball you're playing the better conference. There are 13 other SEC teams not named Kentucky, you'd rather play any of them than play Indiana, Purdue, Ohio State, Michigan, or Michigan State?

I don’t much follow college basketball since shoe companies, AAU coaches along with one and dones have destroyed the game. With that being said, I believe ACC fans would rather play The SEC in any sport before The Big Ten. JMHO