CSNbbs
Oh my, more expansion talk..... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Oh my, more expansion talk..... (/thread-913408.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Oh my, more expansion talk..... - Usajags - 12-22-2020 04:58 PM

The AAC is discussion adding Boise St for football only. If that were to happen, NMSU May finally have a home to move to. If the AAC added them, it would bring them to 12 in football.

I’m hoping this means NMSU gets there spot.

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - AstroCajun - 12-22-2020 06:01 PM

(12-22-2020 04:58 PM)Usajags Wrote:  The AAC is discussion adding Boise St for football only. If that were to happen, NMSU May finally have a home to move to. If the AAC added them, it would bring them to 12 in football.

I’m hoping this means NMSU gets there spot.

Rooting for them. They were good conference mates. Just too far for our footprint.

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - Louisiana99 - 12-22-2020 06:03 PM

Boise might be looking for a new coach here shortly, hearing harsin to auburn

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - Usajags - 12-22-2020 06:07 PM

Harsin ready to sell his soul??? Auburn boosters want to run that program, not allow the coach to do his job.

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - Louisiana99 - 12-22-2020 06:15 PM

(12-22-2020 06:07 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Harsin ready to sell his soul??? Auburn boosters want to run that program, not allow the coach to do his job.

Don’t know, maybe he is cool with Steele as his DC and just wants to control offense.

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - EigenEagle - 12-22-2020 07:06 PM

Do we move to #2 in the G5 pecking order if Boise leaves for the AAC in football?

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - ah59396 - 12-22-2020 08:07 PM

I don’t think it’ll just be Boise. I wonder if BYU is warming to the idea of an AAC that’s a clear favorite among G5 conferences.

Coastal had a great year and was still largely considered lesser than Cincinnati mostly due to conference affiliation.

If the AAC pushes west and adds say Boise, SDSU and BYU, it would cripple the MWC and make us, the MAC and CUSA third class citizens for good.

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - rokamortis - 12-22-2020 08:11 PM

(12-22-2020 08:07 PM)ah59396 Wrote:  I don’t think it’ll just be Boise. I wonder if BYU is warming to the idea of an AAC that’s a clear favorite among G5 conferences.

Coastal had a great year and was still largely considered lesser than Cincinnati mostly due to conference affiliation.

If the AAC pushes west and adds say Boise, SDSU and BYU, it would cripple the MWC and make us, the MAC and CUSA third class citizens for good.

I think Coastal having one good year was a big factor - probably more so than the SBC. No doubt that Cincinatti's past performances and AAC's P6 push has helped them.

I think if App State was in the same position as Coastal this season they would have been given more respect and perhaps enough to challenge Cincinnati more.

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - ah59396 - 12-22-2020 08:21 PM

(12-22-2020 08:11 PM)rokamortis Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 08:07 PM)ah59396 Wrote:  I don’t think it’ll just be Boise. I wonder if BYU is warming to the idea of an AAC that’s a clear favorite among G5 conferences.

I think Coastal having one good year was a big factor - probably more so than the SBC. No doubt that Cincinatti's past performances and AAC's P6 push has helped them.

I think if App State was in the same position as Coastal this season they would have been given more respect and perhaps enough to challenge Cincinnati more.

That’s fair. And hopefully the top of our conference (App, Coastal, Louisiana) can continue to push us up into that conversation.

Reality still remains though, the AAC owns the NY6 bowl. Adding Boise, one of the few G5 powers outside the AAC, would be detrimental to the rest of us from a perception perspective. And as we saw this past week, perception matters.

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - chiefsfan - 12-22-2020 08:23 PM

Boise's always been flirting with the exit door with the MWC, the league originally suspending the football season at the start of the year while everyone else played might have been the last straw.

The MWC, like the other 3 leagues made a choice based on what they for sure thought would be all the other leagues eventually cancelling. Instead, they were the only ones, and the protests out of frustrated league schools get louder.

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - rokamortis - 12-22-2020 08:28 PM

(12-22-2020 08:21 PM)ah59396 Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 08:11 PM)rokamortis Wrote:  

That’s fair. And hopefully the top of our conference (App, Coastal, Louisiana) can continue to push us up into that conversation.

Reality still remains though, the AAC owns the NY6 bowl. Adding Boise, one of the few G5 powers outside the AAC, would be detrimental to the rest of us from a perception perspective. And as we saw this past week, perception matters.

I'm hoping Boise going to the AAC would let the SBC rise up to the clear #2 G5 and then we focus on getting better from there. We'll probably have to be more aggressive in scheduling.

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - troutbummike - 12-22-2020 08:35 PM

I'd like the expansion from 2000 fans allowed at KBS to 30,000.

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - CardinalBlackTrojan - 12-22-2020 08:41 PM

BYU will never join a G5 conference, not even the AAC.

That's one reason they left the MWC when Utah got invited to the Pac-12. BYU was not going to stay in the shadow of a P5 Utah.... and they're not about to now.

Plus, I think for them it's either Playoff/NY6 or bust. They can accomplish that easier staying as an independent and playing a bunch of P5's every season, instead of playing an AAC schedule where they'll NEVER be given access to the CFP.

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - chiefsfan - 12-22-2020 08:43 PM

(12-22-2020 08:41 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

That's one reason they left the MWC when Utah got invited to the Pac-12. BYU was not going to stay in the shadow of a P5 Utah.... and they're not about to now.

Plus, I think for them it's either Playoff/NY6 or bust. They can accomplish that easier staying as an independent and playing a bunch of P5's every season, instead of playing an AAC schedule where they'll NEVER be given access to the CFP.

BYU has a cushy deal with ESPN and can easily schedule multiple P5 home games a year. I doubt they join a league anytime soon...

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - SkullyMaroo - 12-22-2020 08:49 PM

(12-22-2020 08:43 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

BYU has a cushy deal with ESPN and can easily schedule multiple P5 home games a year. I doubt they join a league anytime soon...

Not to mention, the PAC-12 is the P5 conference in their region - those games are easier to win.

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - GSUALUM17 - 12-22-2020 09:09 PM

I hope SBC can develop a reputation as a highly competitive basketball conference as well as football over the next decade.. emulate AAC's successes a bit. Then there will be no question SBC > MW, MAC, CUSA

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - CardinalBlackTrojan - 12-22-2020 09:16 PM

(12-22-2020 09:09 PM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  I hope SBC can develop a reputation as a highly competitive basketball conference as well as football over the next decade.. emulate AAC's successes a bit. Then there will be no question SBC > MW, MAC, CUSA

It's slowly getting there. The hires that the SBC schools are making in basketball, plus the facility upgrades and financial commitments are big.

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - Big Buds - 12-22-2020 09:27 PM

(12-22-2020 09:16 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 09:09 PM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  I hope SBC can develop a reputation as a highly competitive basketball conference as well as football over the next decade.. emulate AAC's successes a bit. Then there will be no question SBC > MW, MAC, CUSA

It's slowly getting there. The hires that the SBC schools are making in basketball, plus the facility upgrades and financial commitments are big.
I’d much rather continue the growth of our diamond sports as a conference. I get it, basketball makes more money, in general, but basketball is damn near dead in the Deep South. Baseball is second place when it comes to fan interest in our footprint. No reason the SBC shouldn’t have 4-5 NCAA Regional team every year. Selfishly, that’s what I would prefer.

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - Duggie35 - 12-22-2020 09:37 PM

BYU will never get to a NY6 Bowl as an Independent. That team MUST be the highest ranked G5 Conference Champion!

RE: Oh my, more expansion talk..... - Louisiana99 - 12-22-2020 09:38 PM

Cincinnati only has 5 losses in 3 years, Ohio state, UCF, temple and 2 to Memphis. Of the 5 losses the teams they lost to had 10 losses, 5 from temple..OSU lost to Clemson, UCF lost to LSU, Memphis lost to temple and penn state in those respective seasons. Coastal is coming off 2 5-7 seasons looking for their first bowl game. Cincinnati has been building their reputation longer. Very understandable IMO for Cincinnati to receive some benefit of doubt