CSNbbs
What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB (/thread-911241.html)

Pages: 1 2

What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - AssyrianDuke - 11-23-2020 04:49 PM

In less than 48 hours, we will have JMU sports back for the first time since around St. Patrick's Day. I think it is safe to say, we could all turn our attention to the goings on on the field, rather than off it. With that in mind, I am interested to know what you are expecting from the MBB and WBB teams in their opening games.

For MBB, I expect a win against Sandstone U. On offense I would like to see the team use their athleticism and energy to move efficiently. I feel like last year they either stood around or passed back and forth at the top of the key with no purpose or goal in mind. On defense, I want to see our length cause havoc and force Gypsum into a bunch of turnovers (hopefully 20+). HCMB 2.0 has expressed a desire for fluid, position less basketball, and while I expect mistakes in the first live action of the year (no exhibitions due to Covid restrictions), this will hopefully let us see everyone hit the floor against Shale University.

For WBB, I want to see who steps up to replace all the talent we lost last year. A lot of the women played good minutes throughout the season, and I am excited to see how Steph Ouderkirk and Jamia Hazell fit in with the rest of the roster. I hope to see the team continue the "full team approach" rather than a "one woman show" that we have seen in previous teams. Opening against Buffalo (who won 19 games last year) is not an ideal opener, especially since they only graduated two player from last year's team. I trust Coach O will have them ready.

Games start at noon on Wednesday, ladies and gents. Go Dukes!

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - Dukes84 - 11-23-2020 05:15 PM

I like to call them Limestone Cowboy!

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - olddawg - 11-23-2020 05:19 PM

Sean said on the Zoom press conference that he'll have 8 available players, with the possibility of a 9th who'd be coming out of protocol. Kind of made it sound like he was hoping not to use the 9th player.

Byington wouldn't comment on the starting lineup, except to say Lewis will be starting. Sounds like we have a couple of lingering injuries.

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - Bill - 11-23-2020 06:08 PM

I can't believe they're playing against a sedimentary school.

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - Hart Foundation - 11-23-2020 06:42 PM

Isn’t Bluestone a type of limestone? The tight relationship between schools is crystal clear.

There won’t be anything meaningful to come out of the limestone game as with previous years against DII or DIII opponents.
The positive is that we will be able to see all of these transfers in action and figure out who may start or get heavy rotation minutes. Win by 5 or win by 50. That doesn’t really carry over into the season.
It might be good to start a season prediction thread after the first game is played. I would have trouble identifying the players on the court right now. I think there are a ton of lefty’s which will make things somewhat unorthodox on dribble drives and perhaps a huge advantage for the Dukes.

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - jmu98 - 11-23-2020 06:54 PM

(11-23-2020 05:19 PM)olddawg Wrote:  Sean said on the Zoom press conference that he'll have 8 available players, with the possibility of a 9th who'd be coming out of protocol. Kind of made it sound like he was hoping not to use the 9th player.

Byington wouldn't comment on the starting lineup, except to say Lewis will be starting. Sounds like we have a couple of lingering injuries.

Are there links to the Zoom press conferences?

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - Hart Foundation - 11-23-2020 07:16 PM

Here is the link 98. I know you are itching for hoops season like I am.
https://www.facebook.com/JMUSports/videos/206916977617296/

What is weird is that Coach By wouldn’t name a starting 5. It is not like JMU is playing a key conference game. No matter who the Dukes put on the floor they will be supremely more talented than Limestone.

One nugget he did provide indicated 3 players will not play. 2 have injuries And 1 is in quarantine. Hopefully they are ready for Norfolk St on Friday, but he gave no indication of Severity.

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - purplesanman - 11-23-2020 08:04 PM

You definitely touched on it, AssyrianDuke. I want to see purpose and recognition, especially on the defensive end. We should be so much more athletic that I don't know if we'll be able to figure out who is good and who just had a favorable match-up on offense, but I want to switching when called for, stepping into passing lanes, protecting the rim and a defensive intensity that has been missing.

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - Hart Foundation - 11-23-2020 08:44 PM

I’m excited to see the transfers play. We will get something from Taylor, Morse, and Hodge as they have seen significant minutes in D-1 basketball. Probably will look like they did at their previous school with all 3 playing for poor hoops teams last year. I’m expecting Taylor to be the biggest impact of those guys.

Fredericks and Mensah are the wild cards with very little D-1 playing time albeit at strong programs in Cincy and San Diego St. If Coach By hit on one of these then it should be a good season. If he hit on both of these then the Dukes can win the CAA.
Could we see either be like a Denzel Bowles who couldn’t get on the floor at Texas A&M then became an instant offensive force in the post for JMU scoring 20ppg?
That is the hope.

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - Deez Nuts - 11-23-2020 09:16 PM

I hope we have at least 8 players available to play on game day, and the other team has at least 8 players and willing to play on game day.

Coach O speculated on another podcast last week about how much is unknown about this season; I'll echo his hope that both squads have 13 games played so they're eligible for the NCAA tournament. Conference play is all that matters. Have to be prepared to win the conference without a conference tournament (ALA Drexel WBB last season). OOC won't matter for the men's squad. Building confidence for them and getting minutes will be crucial. The only thing we know about the Men's squad is Matt Lewis should be good. Everything else is an unknown.

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - Dukes84 - 11-24-2020 10:41 AM

I agree that it's somewhat bizarre that Byington didn't want to disclose starters or who was injured or quarantined (privacy issue, but we'll be able to figure it out tomorrow). At this point, we don't know much, but we do know this team seems to have real depth and talent. There's no way he can keep everyone happy with respect to playing time. At most, I would think 10 guys will get meaningful minutes. I would expect an up tempo offense, a pressuring defense and using a lot of players for short spurts.

If I had to construct a depth chart, it might look something like this (and I may be totally off base, since Byington likes his 4 guard line-ups with one big):

1 - Lewis (combo, but point might be best position), Strickland, Edwards (looks like a combo guard)
2 - Morse (combo), Hodge (combo), Harvey
3 - Fredericks (2/3), Christmas, Taylor (looks like a combo forward)
4 - Jacobs, Wooden
5 - Mensah, Amadi (4/5)

He did say that he likes his freshman class and that all would play. A lot of interchangeable parts in any event.

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - Dukester - 11-24-2020 03:06 PM

I would not be surprised if we started strong, and ended the season even better.

I'd be disappointed if in February and March we would not be playing at least at a top 4 CAA level.

I think solid coaching makes a big difference, especially coming off very poor coaching.

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - Hart Foundation - 11-24-2020 09:50 PM

Yep, by default the coaching has to be better because it can’t be any worse than the last 4 years. The question is, how much better.

I watch a lot of college hoops and saw very little of Coach By in 7 years. He toiled in relative obscurity. What we know is that he will have to be better at JMU than he was at Georgia Southern. If he coaches another 7 years and never wins a regular season or conference tourney title then it will be a colossal failed opening of the AUBC purple palace.

I agree with 84 that some of the players are going to have hurt feelings. 4 key returnees, 5 D-1 transfers, 3 freshmen, and only one basketball. Who will end up on the pine once CAA games start?

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - Anders - 11-24-2020 10:36 PM

From what it sounds like with the fast pace, up tempo style, we will see a lot of guys rotating in and out so I would expect minutes across the board but you're right that feelings will most likely be hurt somewhere regarding starters and who will get the most playing time.

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - Anders - 11-24-2020 11:02 PM

(11-23-2020 07:16 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Here is the link 98. I know you are itching for hoops season like I am.
https://www.facebook.com/JMUSports/videos/206916977617296/

What is weird is that Coach By wouldn’t name a starting 5. It is not like JMU is playing a key conference game. No matter who the Dukes put on the floor they will be supremely more talented than Limestone.

One nugget he did provide indicated 3 players will not play. 2 have injuries And 1 is in quarantine. Hopefully they are ready for Norfolk St on Friday, but he gave no indication of Severity.

That made me a little uneasy for some reason. There are obviously a lot of obstacles this year and a whole new roster for Coach B but he did not seem overly confident. Hopefully he is being purposely cautious in talking about the team and their expectations right now.

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - Dukesfan71 - 11-25-2020 07:01 AM

Go Dukes
Go Dukes

Looking forward to any games we get. Excited for both programs. Cannot wait to get to a game at the AUBC, whenever that may be.

“The Atlantic Union Bank Center is worth every single second of waiting” says Zach Jacobs in his Dear Zach story from Off the Collar.

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - jmudukes001 - 11-25-2020 08:33 AM

Here is hoping that today is the start of a resurgence of JMU men’s hoops. Go Dukes!!!

Like others, surprised that we are picked 9th in the preseason rankings. Obviously the CAA coaches and CAA media that make these predictions are not as impressed or excited in Byington and the new players as we are on these boards. A lot of unknowns obviously though but we should have much better coaching than the last few years.

Hoping for top 4 or 6 with higher expectations next year. We should really never be worse than 6th in the current CAA.

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - HyperDuke - 11-25-2020 08:35 AM

Pretty excited to watch the headline game at 4 after the JV performance at 12!

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - ParentofJMUMRDs - 11-25-2020 08:55 AM

Game Day!!!!

Looking forward to watching the Ladies tip off at 4:00 PM

Go Dukes!! Wishing I could be there!!

Brian

RE: What to expect Day 1 MBB and WBB - Dukester - 11-25-2020 09:19 AM

(11-24-2020 09:50 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Yep, by default the coaching has to be better because it can’t be any worse than the last 4 years. The question is, how much better.

I watch a lot of college hoops and saw very little of Coach By in 7 years. He toiled in relative obscurity. What we know is that he will have to be better at JMU than he was at Georgia Southern. If he coaches another 7 years and never wins a regular season or conference tourney title then it will be a colossal failed opening of the AUBC purple palace.

I agree with 84 that some of the players are going to have hurt feelings. 4 key returnees, 5 D-1 transfers, 3 freshmen, and only one basketball. Who will end up on the pine once CAA games start?

Not even heard of coach B until we hired him. His results have been decent, recruiting has been decent since hired, and I think JMU is an easier school to win at.

Many, many, many on here have underestimated the bar for JMU Men's basketball the last 15 years. Some have indicated it's a tough place to attract coaches and win. Just not the case......