CSNbbs
Danny Kaspar resigns - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Danny Kaspar resigns (/thread-907347.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Danny Kaspar resigns - EigenEagle - 09-22-2020 07:24 PM

https://www.kvue.com/article/sports/texas-state-accepts-danny-kaspar-resignation/269-ea0adecc-fac5-4974-81d2-3504dbac43fd

Snowflakery wins.

Danny Kaspar resigns - panama - 09-22-2020 08:00 PM

.[Image: 2b63810b8de1e4769b2857bc69bcb23f.gif]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RE: Danny Kaspar resigns - CardinalBlackTrojan - 09-22-2020 08:18 PM

(09-22-2020 07:24 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  https://www.kvue.com/article/sports/texas-state-accepts-danny-kaspar-resignation/269-ea0adecc-fac5-4974-81d2-3504dbac43fd

Snowflakery wins.

No kidding.

RE: Danny Kaspar resigns - CoastalAlum2011 - 09-22-2020 08:29 PM

What we are becoming as a culture is unsustainable and laughable.

What a joke.

RE: Danny Kaspar resigns - AZcats - 09-22-2020 08:34 PM

Quote:Shead explained how Kaspar told players to "chase that chicken" to get them to run faster, threatened to have players deported if they messed up and prohibited players from wearing durags or earrings because it made them look like "gangsters."

So, no white person has ever chased chickens or been a gangster? I'm white and I've chased chickens a few times. Hearing a phrase like that would make practice more enjoyable. It's not uncommon for coaches to have requirements on players' appearance; my college football coach did not allow any facial hair.

RE: Danny Kaspar resigns - panama - 09-22-2020 09:11 PM

(09-22-2020 08:34 PM)AZcats Wrote:  
Quote:Shead explained how Kaspar told players to "chase that chicken" to get them to run faster, threatened to have players deported if they messed up and prohibited players from wearing durags or earrings because it made them look like "gangsters."

So, no white person has ever chased chickens or been a gangster? I'm white and I've chased chickens a few times. Hearing a phrase like that would make practice more enjoyable. It's not uncommon for coaches to have requirements on players' appearance; my college football coach did not allow any facial hair.
.[Image: e386c5f9da6b4311ae783c9ea6d0c3fe.gif]

RE: Danny Kaspar resigns - OsageJ - 09-22-2020 09:40 PM

They are all victims. The whole freaking world.

RE: Danny Kaspar resigns - Saint3333 - 09-22-2020 10:11 PM

Buddy Garrity retires?

Danny Kaspar resigns - panama - 09-22-2020 11:22 PM

.[Image: 70ead9e25df4f0b5c9246013806ac76f.gif]

RE: Danny Kaspar resigns - CoastalAlum2011 - 09-23-2020 04:52 AM

(09-22-2020 09:40 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  They are all victims. The whole freaking world.

No, you can only be a victim if you look a certain way.

This is such a shame.

RE: Danny Kaspar resigns - Georgia_Power_Company - 09-23-2020 07:23 AM

This is what happens during mob rule.

RE: Danny Kaspar resigns - slycat - 09-23-2020 07:27 AM

I will try to explain and maybe some will read, listen, digest, and understand.

The basic summary is that if there are actions or words that make people uncomfortable then don't do it. The mentality that it was done this why when I was a kid or this makes people stronger is outdated. Yes, many successful coaches are a**holes and build up hate so players are pushed further. But many coaches are very successful without that type of behavior and to dismiss multiple players issues with it is wrong. This in no way means players should be coddled. It means to not use basic stereotypes as insults. I don't know how this is a hard concept. I think many don't understand life from the perspective others. Sure you chased chickens or eat fried chicken. So what? That has a different meaning to others. There are decades of oppression where these ideas come from, no matter how innocent and small. We can do better and should expect better. There are a million insults or "jokes" to yell at players that don't involve race, gender, or other identifier. It is the same reason we shouldn't call someone a r****d and then dismiss it like "oh they were doing something stupid, I wasn't saying to someone who is mentally challenged".

I think we can continue to coach and live in ways without stepping on eggshells while easily cutting those types of comments out of our lives. And we should hold our leaders to a higher standard than the rest.

RE: Danny Kaspar resigns - slycat - 09-23-2020 07:35 AM

Also, this wasn't some rush judgement. This happen almost four months ago and has been under internal investigation since that time. This isn't mob rule or anything like that. They went through a very long review and my guess is he resigned before the outcome of the investigation went public.

RE: Danny Kaspar resigns - chiefsfan - 09-23-2020 08:27 AM

I think we need to understand as a society that there is a reason things worked in the 60’s and 70’s that don’t now. Society has changed and we need to learn to adapt.

Admittedly I’m not a big fan of everything in the Social Justice movement, but we have to grow a better understanding of those around us in the future. That’s not easy though in a country where racism was accepted for years as part of life. It’s going to take multiple generations dying off to see a change happen

RE: Danny Kaspar resigns - AppinSC - 09-23-2020 08:31 AM

(09-22-2020 10:11 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Buddy Garrity retires?

That was not lost on me, buddy.04-cheers

RE: Danny Kaspar resigns - Saint3333 - 09-23-2020 09:03 AM

All joking aside this is a tough and delicate subject.

The country today has fewer racist as a percentage of the population than it ever has. It is low enough no, but progress has and is being made. Not stoking the flames every four years before an election could help as well.

It starts at home and each generation we bring up looking to the individual not physical attributes furthers progress. That is a pervasive statement not made to any one group as well.

RE: Danny Kaspar resigns - Volkmar - 09-23-2020 09:06 AM

(09-23-2020 07:27 AM)slycat Wrote:  I will try to explain and maybe some will read, listen, digest, and understand.

The basic summary is that if there are actions or words that make people uncomfortable then don't do it. The mentality that it was done this why when I was a kid or this makes people stronger is outdated. Yes, many successful coaches are a**holes and build up hate so players are pushed further. But many coaches are very successful without that type of behavior and to dismiss multiple players issues with it is wrong. This in no way means players should be coddled. It means to not use basic stereotypes as insults. I don't know how this is a hard concept. I think many don't understand life from the perspective others. Sure you chased chickens or eat fried chicken. So what? That has a different meaning to others. There are decades of oppression where these ideas come from, no matter how innocent and small. We can do better and should expect better. There are a million insults or "jokes" to yell at players that don't involve race, gender, or other identifier. It is the same reason we shouldn't call someone a r****d and then dismiss it like "oh they were doing something stupid, I wasn't saying to someone who is mentally challenged".

I think we can continue to coach and live in ways without stepping on eggshells while easily cutting those types of comments out of our lives. And we should hold our leaders to a higher standard than the rest.

Well stated. It's easy to dismiss this as people just being snowflakes, and I will say that some definitely are too easily offended. But as a middle school math teacher and coach of 25 years, I understand that there are things I shouldn't say in my classroom as well as on the basketball court or the football field. And yeah, I get that my situation involves kids while we're talking about college here, but it's still just being cognizant of the fact that when we're in a position of authority over young people who look up to us, it's a good rule of thumb to be mindful that they're coming to us from different backgrounds and with different life experiences.

Several of my closest friends are Colombians, and I was born in Germany. We joke around with each other where they call me a Nazi and I call them drug dealers, but we've known each other many years and have that comfort level. There are things said among close friends which shouldn't be in other situations such as at our jobs, whether we're joking, making a point, or whatever. It comes down to being a professional. And if we do slip up and say something, it's also a good rule of thumb to come back the next day and clarify that we didn't mean to offend anyone. I don't know all the details here, but if there are multiple players coming forward, maybe Kaspar never did that.

Whether we like it or not, and whether we want them to or not, "the times, they are a-changing", and they will continue to, because as they say, the only constant in life is change. That's just my two cents.

Danny Kaspar resigns - panama - 09-23-2020 09:52 AM

.[Image: e689920f08870070b8ae6e9edaff4c9b.gif]

RE: Danny Kaspar resigns - panama - 09-23-2020 09:53 AM

(09-23-2020 08:27 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I think we need to understand as a society that there is a reason things worked in the 60’s and 70’s that don’t now. Society has changed and we need to learn to adapt.

Admittedly I’m not a big fan of everything in the Social Justice movement, but we have to grow a better understanding of those around us in the future. That’s not easy though in a country where racism was accepted for years as part of life. It’s going to take multiple generations dying off to see a change happen
Did thinks really work in the 60s and 70s though?

RE: Danny Kaspar resigns - CoastalAlum2011 - 09-23-2020 09:59 AM

Would he have been fired if he had called a white kid a hillbilly or a redneck?

I think we all know the answer to that question.