CSNbbs
UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot (/thread-907038.html)

Pages: 1 2

UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - IWokeUpLikeThis - 09-17-2020 04:20 PM

One step closer to rebranding to the best nickname in college football.

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - ChrisLords - 09-17-2020 05:08 PM

UFO's University of Florida Orlando.

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - Rube Dali - 09-17-2020 05:12 PM

(09-17-2020 04:20 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  One step closer to rebranding to the best nickname in college football.

Not if FIU rebrands back to the SunBlazers first.

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - CarlSmithCenter - 09-17-2020 07:19 PM

(09-17-2020 05:12 PM)Rube Dali Wrote:  
(09-17-2020 04:20 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  One step closer to rebranding to the best nickname in college football.

I don’t think the folks in Gainesville are going to let UCF bastardize the UF brand with a branch campus rebranding. If they can’t buy back the name Florida Tech, or get away with Florida Polytechnical Institute (FPI), go change the name to the University of Orlando and split the mascot difference and call them the Citroknights. Done.

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - Fighting Muskie - 09-17-2020 07:37 PM

Can’t they just be the UCF Citronauts?

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - usffan - 09-17-2020 11:56 PM

(09-17-2020 07:19 PM)CarlSmithCenter Wrote:  

I don’t think the folks in Gainesville are going to let UCF bastardize the UF brand with a branch campus rebranding. If they can’t buy back the name Florida Tech, or get away with Florida Polytechnical Institute (FPI), go change the name to the University of Orlando and split the mascot difference and call them the Citroknights. Done.

Joke's on you - there was once a push by the Board of Regents (which used to oversee the Florida State University System before they were disbanded by Jeb Bush) to rebrand all of the SUS to be part of the University of Florida system. As you might imagine, the biggest pushback was from Tallahassee, but it would have created a University of Florida, Tampa (and gotten us out of our geographically poor name) and, of course, the University of Florida, Orlando. Obviously it never passed.

Side note, a little more recently, the University of Tampa was in serious financial straits, and approached USF about acquiring them, which would have allowed us to rebrand as the University of Tampa, but we foolishly (in my opinion) passed on the option. We also had a chance to acquire Stetson Law School (which is here in Tampa) and didn't do that, either. We've had some brain-dead administrators...

USFFan

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - Carolina_Low_Country - 09-18-2020 09:26 AM

UCF really should be the Citronauts and they really should go full time to the black, grey, and white colors (no gold). Their uniforms are very nice (and I don't like modern looks). They are modern and yet simple at the same came for a very clean and good look

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - CitrusUCF - 09-18-2020 10:04 AM

(09-17-2020 07:19 PM)CarlSmithCenter Wrote:  

There's already a Florida Polytechnic University in Lakeland. The Florida Tech boat has sailed unfortunately. Despite the opinions of message board fans, the UCF name is growing, and UCF's academic stature is rising in the opinion of the academy.

(09-18-2020 09:26 AM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  UCF really should be the Citronauts and they really should go full time to the black, grey, and white colors (no gold). Their uniforms are very nice (and I don't like modern looks). They are modern and yet simple at the same came for a very clean and good look

If we did rebrand to the Citronauts, I'd hope for black and orange uniforms like Oregon State's. I think it's a sharp look.

[Image: beaver1.jpg]

[Image: BBITXDOYBKORAZY.20150906020123__1441750167.jpg]

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - whittx - 09-18-2020 11:47 AM

When did they change the torso from an orange to a strawberry?

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - quo vadis - 09-18-2020 11:53 AM

I agree - UCF should ditch the Knights and reclaim Citronauts. As others have said, it's a unique nickname, not generic.

I wish we were still the Golden Brahmans, FWIW (keep Rocky, though).

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - CitrusUCF - 09-18-2020 01:28 PM

(09-18-2020 11:53 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  I agree - UCF should ditch the Knights and reclaim Citronauts. As others have said, it's a unique nickname, not generic.

Yeah, there's something to be said for the unique nicknames some schools used to have.

UCF could go back to the Citronauts (thankfully Steve Sloan was not successful in changing the Knights mascot to the Sharks). USF going back to the Golden Brahmans and FIU back to the Sun Blazers would be cool. I think we're the only three to have changed nicknames.

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - TexanMark - 09-18-2020 01:40 PM

(09-18-2020 11:53 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  I agree - UCF should ditch the Knights and reclaim Citronauts. As others have said, it's a unique nickname, not generic.

I agree...the Knight thing is dull. A Citronaut is unique. Your mascot would be we'll know like the other goofy ones: Stanford Tree, WKU Red Bob, Syracuse Otto the Orange, etc...

Kids love them.

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - whittx - 09-18-2020 01:43 PM

Only if Binghamton goes back to being the Colonials.

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - Cyniclone - 09-18-2020 01:43 PM

They can use The University of ******* Orlando as a fan-created nickname

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - TexanMark - 09-18-2020 01:46 PM

(09-18-2020 01:43 PM)whittx Wrote:  Only if Binghamton goes back to being the Colonials.

Was it the Harpur Colonials?

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - NothingButKnight - 09-18-2020 02:42 PM

I would support renaming and rebranding to the University of Orlando / Citronauts.... but I think we're far past that ever being a realistic option.

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - Hokie Mark - 09-18-2020 02:59 PM

Wait, is this video supposed to be funny?

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - AllTideUp - 09-18-2020 03:14 PM

I remember when UCF was the Golden Knights. If anything, they should have stuck with that. "Knights" is not terribly generic when it comes to major college sports...not like Tigers or Wildcats.

With that said, Citronauts doesn't really excite me. It's not an actual term that would apply to anyone or anything that isn't related to UCF athletics.

What you folks could do though is what some old schools have done and that is adopt multiple nicknames for different purposes.

We have an elephant mascot, but Crimson Tide is our nickname. Auburn has an eagle, but they're officially the Tigers. There are some other schools that do things like that because it's tradition. So the point is that having unique traditions is in and of itself a branding mechanism.

I would stick with the Knights as the nickname and maybe use the term Citronaut to apply to something else.

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - ChrisLords - 09-18-2020 03:26 PM

Rebranding UCF now would be stupid. They have a lot of positive name recognition right now as being one of the best, if not the best, program in the G5.

RE: UCF unveils Citronaut mascot - mufanatehc - 09-18-2020 03:29 PM

Bring back the jouster

[Image: centralflorida_logo_2003.gif]