CSNbbs
W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: W&M Cuts 7 Sports (/thread-905988.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribal - 09-23-2020 06:39 PM

(09-23-2020 06:21 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 06:03 PM)Tribal Wrote:  So...slap on the wrist and a hand-holder until Huge can prove trustworthy.

Not good enough, President Rowe.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Oh I read the letter the other way. Huge's lost everyone's trust. At no point does Rowe give her a vote of confidence or support her and Gen. Golden is here to ease the transition process when/if it comes to that.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
She is moving forward with Huge. She lost trust but somehow retains her stepping stone, highly compensated job. Huge needs to go through an outside partner to ensure she doesn't emarrass W&M again. But, I'm just a militant Huge hater, so...

W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribal - 09-23-2020 06:47 PM

Huge's new profile pic. Ha ha...the metaphor. [Image: 7aae5e1e4092a1ff90ffa0e071f5c9b8.jpg]

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Florida tribe fan - 09-23-2020 07:01 PM

(09-23-2020 04:52 PM)WMSportsBlog Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 07:25 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(09-22-2020 08:29 PM)Tribe1693 Wrote:  Interesting to read #3 and #4 in this list. Especially the suggestion of Softball and M/W Rowing...

Interesting, but not surprising, when you read through the bios of the BOV.

We made those predictions based on the PICTOR Report and the Strategic Plan -- the writing seemed to be on the wall then; COVID ultimately accelerated the movement.

Is the athletic department still cutting checks to the Pictor Group? Or are their services no longer required?

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - TribePride91 - 09-23-2020 07:35 PM

2 hours and the BOV meeting still goes on. Highly disappointing that President Rowe sent her letter before listening to so many voices tonight. Hard to read it as anything other than continued support for our AD. Lots of students from varied backgrounds speaking very well, especially about what has made William and Mary special to them. It seems very clear that the decision has already been made and their experiences are irrelevant to the decisionmakers. That is, unless the BOV reverses course. I don't see how our AD can stay if that occurs.

I doubt any of the well crafted thoughts ultimately makes a difference. Although, around the time I graduated swimming was saved once before. So, I guess there is a small chance. Sad since kindness, compassion and communication might have had a different outcome.

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - nj alum - 09-23-2020 07:42 PM

So who listened tonight?

I did.

Six of these seven sports are resisting. Big time.

We learned more tonight in an hour and a half than we have learned during the years of the current Administration. Think about that. Our community, for free, could have done a superior job to the Pictor Group’s report.

Swimming is loaded for bear. Tonight was a knockout. The cut to swimming can not be justified. If they double down and try to justify the cutting of swimming, they lose overall credibility. They need to throw in the towel now, and reinstate all seven, or else the President will go down with the AD.

$2 million for the new track just completed. Think about that for a while.

Do you know the level of involvement of the six sports in the W’burg community teaching budding athletes? Huge. Never saw that in the Pictor Group report.

The speakers were awesome. Cutting the Tribe 7 was indefensible.

Finally, everyone is on the same page .... quite remarkable.

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - nj alum - 09-23-2020 07:44 PM

(09-16-2020 09:55 AM)Old tribe Wrote:  
(09-16-2020 08:30 AM)nj alum Wrote:  
(09-16-2020 08:03 AM)irisheyes0008 Wrote:  This author of the article has family ties to the swimming program and this is just another hit piece. There were several missteps by athletics and from the school administration on the way to cutting sports. These sports are a black hole when it comes to the university/athletics budget. Swimming as a powerhouse in the CAA...they swim against 5 other schools..that is like being the best at sharpening pencils..not that impressive actually but good on them for their run...also this money they are "raising"...it's called a pledge to donate-there is no money in hand. Volleyball has been a 1 million dollar black hole for many years...all the information is out there if you search for it instead of trying to get people to gather with pitchforks and lanterns. Up until WM cut gymnastics there were not many D1 schools our size that fielded a team that wasn't a club level sport.

Many large athletic programs; Minnesota, Central Michigan, Cincinnati, ECU, ect.., have had to make cuts-what makes any of us think we were exempt. The bigger issue is why are professors making so much money compared to the rest of the staff and administrators all across the campus. Bloated professor salaries are the real problem but that is not sexy to talk about.

Every sport at W&M ... every single sport ... is a “black hole” financially.

On the other hand, every sport at W&M ... every single sport ... is a successful student athlete model.

When W&M was founded, there was only one other school in the land. That didn’t stop the school from being founded. Similarly, the number of other like problems is irrelevant to me ... in fact, it’s better for the school in terms of athletic quality if there aren’t “many games in town”.

Our Administration was disingenuous with, or outwardly lied to (or somewhere in the middle), all of the stakeholders, with the exception of a chosen few, and that is a big deal. How on earth do you run a multi-year campaign, bring in over one billion dollars, and nary a peep about the Tribe 7 in that campaign? HOW?

The rationale is the 2025 Vision Report. Fine. The proper approach would have been to combine For the Bold and 2025 Vision, and see where the chips land. That wasn’t done here!

Appalling treatment of the stakeholders. Why would anyone donate to this school while the current Administration is in place when trust has been so seriously eroded?

Frankly, pressure needs to be brought for a “do-over” of For The Bold because of the disingenuous way the Tribe 7 situation has been handled.

At the heart of all of this is a disagreement on what people want athletics at W&M to be. Some want it to continue as a broad based program (more broad than similar sized schools with similar resources) where resources are stretched thin for all teams and athletics doesn't do much to add to W&M's national profile and awareness. Others, including the current administration, want to put more resources towards programs where continued success can enhance W&M's national profile and awareness. So current decisions are being made with that goal in mind.

You can disagree with how the decision to cut was communicated, but this is the real issue. And the decision to take the latter approach to athletics comes from the administration/BOV. So all the vitriol for the AD is misplaced in my opinion. And before Tribal accuses me of being a relative of Huge or Huge herself, let me say I've never met the woman or had any sort of interaction or communication with her in my life.

(09-23-2020 07:35 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  2 hours and the BOV meeting still goes on. Highly disappointing that President Rowe sent her letter before listening to so many voices tonight. Hard to read it as anything other than continued support for our AD. Lots of students from varied backgrounds speaking very well, especially about what has made William and Mary special to them. It seems very clear that the decision has already been made and their experiences are irrelevant to the decisionmakers. That is, unless the BOV reverses course. I don't see how our AD can stay if that occurs.

I doubt any of the well crafted thoughts ultimately makes a difference. Although, around the time I graduated swimming was saved once before. So, I guess there is a small chance.

This issue is over. The resistance is universal and overwhelming. Faculty are going to “no confidence” the AD next month ... the AD skipped out on Spring meetings to inform the faculty. The sports are getting reinstated. There will be no school, and no donor base left, if these sports aren’t reinstated.

The only question is whether Rowe survives this.

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - wmmii - 09-23-2020 07:48 PM

Still listening to the call as the BOV is staying to hear all the students. Clearly the action of the BOV is in stark contrast to Huge giving the athletics a 6 minute Zoom call with short notice on September 3.

Swimming team has nailed it tonight, Huge messed with the wrong athletes.

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Zorch - 09-23-2020 07:52 PM

(09-23-2020 07:35 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  ... I doubt any of the well crafted thoughts ultimately makes a difference.

If they do not make a difference then that is the proof that this model is broken. Almost all of the speakers have been good and many great points have been made. If the BOV is unmoved then we need a new BOV. It is possible that many of the members of the BOV had never delved very deeply into this issue but, rather, just listened to and trusted the AD and rubberstamped the ideas put before them. Hopefully they are now reconsidering that stance and will do some heavy thinking on this. At a minimum, it looks like the eradication of the 7 sports should be postponed until a deeper, more transparent, study and process is undertaken.

W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribal - 09-23-2020 07:53 PM

Amazing speakers tonight and still going well after the drop dead time.

W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribal - 09-23-2020 08:06 PM

And, that's a wrap. The BOV will accept additional submissions through their email.

"She selfishly cut our sports at a cost of what amounts to a rounding error. Swimming, alone, can self fund for 5 years."

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - wmmii - 09-23-2020 08:07 PM

BOV listening Meeting ends at 9:05, they went over by an hour showing great respect for the student athletes.

W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribal - 09-23-2020 08:13 PM

Samantha better write an impressive response, or at least have someone else write it and pawn it off as her own.[Image: 131f2144ffa985dd86bc03917f26ca02.jpg]

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribe32 - 09-23-2020 08:50 PM

(09-23-2020 05:59 PM)Tribe1693 Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 05:53 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 05:17 PM)WMTribe90 Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 04:53 PM)WMSportsBlog Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 03:45 PM)nogretheogre Wrote:  Reminder: Listening session starts at 630pm - direct link in this youtube video

Definitely interested in this, but if admin is as adamant about the finality of the changes, this may ultimately be a PR move.

They want everyone to believe this is a fait accompli and to move on quickly, but rest assured if enough supporters express outrage and vote by pulling financial support this can and will get reversed. I suspect Huge would be fired or resign if she gets over-ruled and I’m more than fine with that as well. The stakeholders were ignored and left out of the decision to fundamentally change the structure and mission of the AD. Huge was hired to steward Tribe athletics not treat it like her personal play thing to be molded to look like every other DI athletic department in the country. Time to be heard...

Take a look at the giving numbers from 2019 as posted by the Tribe Club. It was down an enormous amount. Not just basketball either.

Also It is classic to pin it on Pictor, etc. She most certainly told them her ideas and they were paid to support them

Looking at Swimming and M/W Track, the percentage and dollar increases from 2019 to 2020 is very impressive.

Not sure what you are looking at. What I see is the following:
Mens Track was down 19k
Womens Track down 13k

Swimming up 59k (great job)

Mens hoops down 255k (I wonder why)
Football down 277k (I wonder why again)
Baseball down 219k
Mens soccer down 56k

Gymnastics for both men and women are up by a combined 46k

Other sports were down or flat

Those numbers are reflective of something.

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribe1693 - 09-23-2020 08:57 PM

(09-23-2020 08:50 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 05:59 PM)Tribe1693 Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 05:53 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 05:17 PM)WMTribe90 Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 04:53 PM)WMSportsBlog Wrote:  Definitely interested in this, but if admin is as adamant about the finality of the changes, this may ultimately be a PR move.

They want everyone to believe this is a fait accompli and to move on quickly, but rest assured if enough supporters express outrage and vote by pulling financial support this can and will get reversed. I suspect Huge would be fired or resign if she gets over-ruled and I’m more than fine with that as well. The stakeholders were ignored and left out of the decision to fundamentally change the structure and mission of the AD. Huge was hired to steward Tribe athletics not treat it like her personal play thing to be molded to look like every other DI athletic department in the country. Time to be heard...

Take a look at the giving numbers from 2019 as posted by the Tribe Club. It was down an enormous amount. Not just basketball either.

Also It is classic to pin it on Pictor, etc. She most certainly told them her ideas and they were paid to support them

Looking at Swimming and M/W Track, the percentage and dollar increases from 2019 to 2020 is very impressive.

Not sure what you are looking at. What I see is the following:
Mens Track was down 19k
Womens Track down 13k

Swimming up 59k (great job)

Mens hoops down 255k (I wonder why)
Football down 277k (I wonder why again)
Baseball down 219k
Mens soccer down 56k

Gymnastics for both men and women are up by a combined 46k

Other sports were down or flat

Those numbers are reflective of something.

I'm sorry - you're correct. We are looking at the same document. I mistyped M/W Track and meant M/W Gymnastics (in addition to swimming).

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribal - 09-23-2020 08:57 PM

(09-23-2020 06:02 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 06:01 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 06:00 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 05:59 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(09-23-2020 05:58 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Open letter from Rowe:

https://www.wm.edu/news/announcements/2020/communications-process-regarding-the-open-letter-on-athletics.php

I write to share my reply more broadly, because the issue of concern – repeating language from another institution’s announcement – matters to me and our community. 

The open letter announcing these decisions did not rise to William & Mary’s standards, as Athletics Director Samantha Huge has shared, and this was a mistake.

I have expressed to Director Huge that her top priority for Athletics going forward needs to be restoring trust.

To support that process, I have asked Gen. Jim Golden, W&M’s long-time former vice president for strategic initiatives and assistant to the president, to help guide strategic communications in Athletics in the near term. His immediate charge will be to partner with Director Huge to review Athletics communications practices, improve them, and ensure we speak to the concerns of the William & Mary Athletics community at this critical time.

Save Tribe 7 hitting back:

If a student were to use "best models" as a defense against their plagiarized work, professors would send them straight to the honor council regardless of "good intentions". AD Huge gets a personal tutor to teach her how to not turn her back on one of the oldest W&M core values.

W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribal - 09-23-2020 09:10 PM

Closed meetings agenda.[Image: 810cec0bfab4b62fb169c8787bfd35cb.jpg]

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Blow Gym rat - 09-23-2020 09:17 PM

According to the Save Swimming facebook page, members of the cut women's teams have retained an attorney -- apparently the same one involved in keeping WBB from being cut in 1991. (Don't remember that myself). Her letter to President Rowe is on that page -- don't know how to link it here.

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - WMSportsBlog - 09-23-2020 09:24 PM

Separate but related note: how does one even get on the BOV?

I assume it involves a lot of politicking.

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - ScottyB757 - 09-23-2020 09:32 PM

(09-23-2020 09:24 PM)WMSportsBlog Wrote:  Separate but related note: how does one even get on the BOV?

I assume it involves a lot of politicking.

After reviewing the BOV bios, a law degree is helpful...

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribe1693 - 09-23-2020 09:42 PM

(09-23-2020 09:17 PM)Blow Gym rat Wrote:  According to the Save Swimming facebook page, members of the cut women's teams have retained an attorney -- apparently the same one involved in keeping WBB from being cut in 1991. (Don't remember that myself). Her letter to President Rowe is on that page -- don't know how to link it here.

Great. Even the lawyer uses "William and Mary College". I will refrain from criticizing a recruit again.

This dude has lost his fastball. Multiple grammar errors in the letter. Looks like zero proofreading. Sloppy effort.