CSNbbs
W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: W&M Cuts 7 Sports (/thread-905988.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - mrjoolius - 09-15-2020 03:54 PM

(09-15-2020 02:21 PM)WMInTheBurg Wrote:  
(09-15-2020 02:20 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(09-15-2020 02:17 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  Lol. Which one of you knuckleheads got Huge's wikipedia page locked?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Huge
Locked? I can view it. Maybe she blocked you

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Locked is due to lots of changes and sometimes vandalism. It means the page can't be changed until it's unlocked.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Don't look at us. I'm pretty sure it is track/swim athletes and alums. They've been waging an online battle for a week. Again, I'm not sure how antagonizing Huge helps get what they want, but there is a lot of raw emotion out there.

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Old tribe - 09-15-2020 04:05 PM

"I will never turn my back on W&M but will, instead, wait out Hurricane Sammy. I just hope Rowe & the BOV hold her accountable before Tribe Athletics drowns."

I don't get why people can't understand that she was hired by Rowe and the BOV to do what she's doing, to make changes in the athletic department and to attempt to raise the profile of W&M athletics. They are on board with this. You really think Rowe didn't sign off on the cutting of the programs before it was done?

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Old tribe - 09-15-2020 04:12 PM

(09-15-2020 02:01 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Okay, then keeping with honesty, at least swimming wins a crappy conference, something MBB and WBB have never done.

And, people have every right to be pissed. Huge ignoring their voices, once again, adds a level of disrespect toward her stakeholders. I'm hearing the Athletic Department is now blocking responses on Twitter. Did I wake up in North Korea? In what world does a leader censor stakeholders?

MBB basketball has won the conference multiple times. Just not the conference tournament.

You honestly think if Huge steps down the 7 sports will be reinstated? They won't.

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribal - 09-15-2020 04:23 PM

(09-15-2020 04:05 PM)Old tribe Wrote:  "I will never turn my back on W&M but will, instead, wait out Hurricane Sammy. I just hope Rowe & the BOV hold her accountable before Tribe Athletics drowns."

I don't get why people can't understand that she was hired by Rowe and the BOV to do what she's doing, to make changes in the athletic department and to attempt to raise the profile of W&M athletics. They are on board with this. You really think Rowe didn't sign off on the cutting of the programs before it was done?
Remind me to show you how to reply to a quoted post.

And, I'll be damned if I ever take a decision based on what someone or a group of people chooses to do. I have an opinion and did not consider for a second what Rowe and the BOV thought was best. Do you agree with everything Trump and Pompeo think is best?

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribal - 09-15-2020 04:26 PM

(09-15-2020 04:12 PM)Old tribe Wrote:  
(09-15-2020 02:01 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Okay, then keeping with honesty, at least swimming wins a crappy conference, something MBB and WBB have never done.

And, people have every right to be pissed. Huge ignoring their voices, once again, adds a level of disrespect toward her stakeholders. I'm hearing the Athletic Department is now blocking responses on Twitter. Did I wake up in North Korea? In what world does a leader censor stakeholders?

MBB basketball has won the conference multiple times. Just not the conference tournament.

You honestly think if Huge steps down the 7 sports will be reinstated? They won't.
They haven't won squat. The regular season is meaningless...we say that every year. March matters.

No, I don't think the 7 sports will be reinstated, no matter what. What does that have to do with showing Hurricane Sammy the door?

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribe1693 - 09-15-2020 05:05 PM

(09-15-2020 04:05 PM)Old tribe Wrote:  "I will never turn my back on W&M but will, instead, wait out Hurricane Sammy. I just hope Rowe & the BOV hold her accountable before Tribe Athletics drowns."

Get your facts straight. Rowe did not hire Huge. Rowe was hired AFTER Huge.

And that clarification is not a defense of Rowe.

W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribal - 09-15-2020 05:14 PM

Huge could burn W&M to the ground and some on here would make excuses on her behalf.

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - WMInTheBurg - 09-15-2020 05:37 PM

(09-15-2020 05:14 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Huge could burn W&M to the ground and some on here would make excuses on her behalf.

Nobody is defending Huge. Maybe at the start, before the fundraising was easily achieved and the Stanford letter.

Old tribe is saying the cuts were not exclusively her decision. If you don't like the cuts, you should not be mad only at Huge as an isolated actor. Therefore firing her will not have the effect of removing the source behind the cuts.

All of this can be argued while still opposing the cuts and being unhappy with the reasons given by the AD and administration for why they were necessary.

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribe1693 - 09-15-2020 05:41 PM

(09-15-2020 05:37 PM)WMInTheBurg Wrote:  
(09-15-2020 05:14 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Huge could burn W&M to the ground and some on here would make excuses on her behalf.

Nobody is defending Huge. Maybe at the start, before the fundraising was easily achieved and the Stanford letter.

Old tribe is saying the cuts were not exclusively her decision. If you don't like the cuts, you should not be mad only at Huge as an isolated actor. Therefore firing her will not have the effect of removing the source behind the cuts.

All of this can be argued while still opposing the cuts and being unhappy with the reasons given by the AD and administration for why they were necessary.

I don't think anyone is saying they were exclusively her decision. BUT, I'd say they were her recommendation as she is the "leader" of the Athletic Department.

The problem is she isn't owning them. She's gone all turtle.

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - zablenoise - 09-15-2020 06:01 PM

This isn't a response to anyone in particular but the idea that Huge is doing the job that the BOV/Rowe have tasked to her.

I am sympathetic to the idea that the college athletics landscape is changing and things have gotten particularly difficult this year with COVID. But even assuming that Huge's actions are all a response to the BOV's desire to raise the profile of football/basketball, she's doing a bad job.
- She, and her team, are making basic PR mistakes and have for a few years now.
- It's become abundantly obvious that she is either unwilling or unable to harness the enthusiasm of our alumni base to fund programs. And this is in the middle of a school wide campaign that has done precisely that to spectacular results.
- She avoids responsibility for mistakes like it's the primary function of her job. I want to believe her when she says she's committed to W&M long-term but that's nearly impossible when every single crisis's management strategy has been to hope it blows over.
- Finally in every decision she has made there has been a complete lack of empathy for those adversely affected. Maybe it's better with her in person. Every person I know within W&M athletics says it isn't.

So frankly I don't care what mission she was given or how hard it may be. There is a way to accomplish goals set out for you without causing a meltdown seemingly every 6 months.

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribal - 09-15-2020 06:02 PM

(09-15-2020 05:41 PM)Tribe1693 Wrote:  
(09-15-2020 05:37 PM)WMInTheBurg Wrote:  

I don't think anyone is saying they were exclusively her decision. BUT, I'd say they were her recommendation as she is the "leader" of the Athletic Department.

The problem is she isn't owning them. She's gone all turtle.
Precisely. Hurricane Sammy is the driving force. Rowe has bigger fish no fry, namely, dealing with COVID-19, virtual learning, upset parents/students/faculty, and managing the budget.

Samantha fired 7 programs, lied about turning over every rock, plagiarized an open letter, then went into hiding. She's the focal point and someone needs to hold her accountable.

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - mrjoolius - 09-15-2020 06:05 PM

(09-15-2020 06:01 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  This isn't a response to anyone in particular but the idea that Huge is doing the job that the BOV/Rowe have tasked to her.

I am sympathetic to the idea that the college athletics landscape is changing and things have gotten particularly difficult this year with COVID. But even assuming that Huge's actions are all a response to the BOV's desire to raise the profile of football/basketball, she's doing a bad job.
- It's become abundantly obvious that she is either unwilling or unable to harness the enthusiasm of our alumni base to fund programs. And this is in the middle of a school wide campaign that has done precisely that to spectacular results.
- She avoids responsibility for mistakes like it's the primary function of her job. I want to believe her when she says she's committed to W&M long-term but that's nearly impossible when every single crisis's management strategy has been to hope it blows over.
- Finally in every decision she has made there has been a complete lack of empathy for those adversely affected. Maybe it's better with her in person. Every person I know within W&M athletics says it isn't.

So frankly I don't care what mission she was given or how hard it may be. There is a way to accomplish goals set out for you without causing a meltdown seemingly every 6 months.
Very good post

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - WMInTheBurg - 09-15-2020 06:37 PM

(09-15-2020 06:05 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(09-15-2020 06:01 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  This isn't a response to anyone in particular but the idea that Huge is doing the job that the BOV/Rowe have tasked to her.

Very good post
I also agree with this. Even if she is doing what she was hired to do and has the support of the administration, she has obvious missteps every time, and that falls squarely on her shoulders.

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribal - 09-15-2020 07:51 PM

(09-15-2020 06:37 PM)WMInTheBurg Wrote:  
(09-15-2020 06:05 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  

Very good post
I also agree with this. Even if she is doing what she was hired to do and has the support of the administration, she has obvious missteps every time, and that falls squarely on her shoulders.

Wow, we (zable, mrj, you, and I) agree on this.

Very good post, Zablenoise.

Question is, does she get another bye or will someone with pull challenge her on this.

To sum it up, for me, it isn't a question as to whether or not W&M should reduce commitment to 23 teams. It IS the flat-out lying that she did anything to save them, the complete lack of respect for the programs, and the undeniable void of owning her decision with a little engagement with us fans. Had she adressed us with, "Tribe Nation, I am sorry to report that W&M will have to cut the following programs _______________ unless we raise enough money to retain them. Should we fail to raise $5.42m by October 01, 2020, I will be forced to recommend dropping these programs. While I completely embrace what these student-athletes offer, we simply cannot afford them without your help. W&M Athletics fans, you are on the clock!"

Fast-forward: we don't raise the money or we do. Either way, it's on donors.

Seems so simple and above board.

W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribal - 09-16-2020 04:40 AM

Tribeathletics.com appears to be down. Possibly making some updates, but the site underwent an overhaul just 2 months ago.

W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribal - 09-16-2020 05:46 AM

Erik Korem was removed from staff listing. Maybe he was already removed.

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - mrjoolius - 09-16-2020 06:28 AM

(09-16-2020 05:46 AM)Tribal Wrote:  Erik Korem was removed from staff listing. Maybe he was already removed.

He was listed there last week. Though It feels like he has really been gone for much longer. Much of his focus in recent memory has been towards marketing his motivational stuff and martial arts. Not sure if a divorce was in the works for a while or if he is a Covid casualty.

W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribal - 09-16-2020 06:49 AM

PSYCHOLOGY TODAY (writes about W&M, specifically)

Disruption, Sports and Pandemic

How colleges are failing kids and prioritizing profit over mental health.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/drifting-adulthood/202009/disruption-sports-and-pandemic

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribe32 - 09-16-2020 07:42 AM

(09-16-2020 06:28 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(09-16-2020 05:46 AM)Tribal Wrote:  Erik Korem was removed from staff listing. Maybe he was already removed.

He was listed there last week. Though It feels like he has really been gone for much longer. Much of his focus in recent memory has been towards marketing his motivational stuff and martial arts. Not sure if a divorce was in the works for a while or if he is a Covid casualty.

He has been actively interviewing at other schools for the last year.

RE: W&M Cuts 7 Sports - Tribal - 09-16-2020 07:57 AM

(09-16-2020 07:42 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  
(09-16-2020 06:28 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  

He has been actively interviewing at other schools for the last year.
Maybe he'll end up at U of Hawaii then.