CSNbbs
Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - DEMOTE - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - DEMOTE (/thread-905805.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 12-28-2021 09:53 AM

(12-28-2021 09:00 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Gee I guess all of my posts about taking a QB in this class weren't such conjecture after all.

Is there an old expression about the blind man who stumbles on... (something).

Based on publicly available info, there was no need for another QB. The solution for too many QBs, too little PT, isn't more QBs. We had 5 QBs on the roster. If one wants to get to reductio ad absurdum, Aaron Jackson and Samson Evans were also high school QBs. Arguably QB was our deepest position.

That said, when you posted that I already heard rumbles about the QB situation. Apparently it wasn't a deep secret from the bowels of the SAPC. It was known across campus.

I don't want to say I played dumbed, but I posted as if 'we'll cross that bridge when we get there.' The first signing period was coming and any QB signings wouldn't be until the 2nd signing period.

Once again, and this is important. Signing a QB two weeks ago would NOT have been the wise thing to do. Not added numbers for the sake of adding numbers. The smart thing to do is wait until the situation plays out.

We don't know if we need a starter, a #2, or just depth.

None of us are God. We don't know how this incredible situation will play out. As has been noted, putting ones name in the portal is NOT irreversible. Either could have a change of heart in a New York minute.

The only public info I see of value is that Hutch's name is off the 2022 roster.

If Bryant going fishing and if he doesn't get a real good offer, will he be back??? The key will be when school resumes next week.

Will he begin classes OR sitout the 2nd semester and show up somewhere else next summer?????

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu79 - 12-28-2021 10:53 AM

(12-28-2021 09:53 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(12-28-2021 09:00 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Gee I guess all of my posts about taking a QB in this class weren't such conjecture after all.

Based on publicly available info, there was no need for another QB. The solution for too many QBs, too little PT, isn't more QBs. We had 5 QBs on the roster. If one wants to get to reductio ad absurdum, Aaron Jackson and Samson Evans were also high school QBs. Arguably QB was our deepest position.

That said, when you posted that I already heard rumbles about the QB situation. Apparently it wasn't a deep secret from the bowels of the SAPC. It was known across campus.

I don't want to say I played dumbed, but I posted as if 'we'll cross that bridge when we get there.' The first signing period was coming and any QB signings wouldn't be until the 2nd signing period.

Once again, and this is important. Signing a QB two weeks ago would NOT have been the wise thing to do. Not added numbers for the sake of adding numbers. The smart thing to do is wait until the situation plays out.

None of us are God. We don't know how this incredible situation will play out. As has been noted, putting ones name in the portal is NOT irreversible. Either could have a change of heart in a New York minute.

The only public info I see of value is that Hutch's name is off the 2022 roster.

If Bryant going fishing and if he doesn't get a real good offer, will he be back??? The key will be when school resumes next week.

Will he begin classes OR sitout the 2nd semester and show up somewhere else next summer?????

I'm not a blind man Steve. But you must be since from time to time you piss on other people's posts. Have a nice day.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 12-28-2021 11:07 AM

(12-28-2021 10:53 AM)emu79 Wrote:  

I'm not a blind man Steve. But you must be since from time to time you piss on other people's posts. Have a nice day.

Yes, I've never learned the fine art of disagreeing with a post without making it feel that I'm a dentist wannabe and like to do root canals for fun...

Sometimes we are all off in our posts. Heaven knows we've had heated disagreements, esp with DP over how college athletes should be treated, compensated, etc. etc.

A poster got criticized for his characterization of Bryant.

Such is life on forums where the way we post is not the same as how we speak at the dinner table with friends and relatives.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - cidbearit - 12-28-2021 12:53 PM

Classes start Jan 10; Football resumes with winter workouts on Jan 9. So there are potentially two weeks of anticipation.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - holybovine - 12-28-2021 11:51 PM

In the new transfer era, it is imperative to take a QB every year, regardless of how the depth chart looks in the moment. Movement is too unpredictable.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 12-29-2021 01:50 AM

(12-28-2021 11:51 PM)holybovine Wrote:  In the new transfer era, it is imperative to take a QB every year, regardless of how the depth chart looks in the moment. Movement is too unpredictable.

Sometimes you are damned if you do; damned if you don't.

Talking Bryant was smart as Hutch got hurt. However, having a QB 1a and 1b is a recipe for disaster (as borne out).

So not taking Bryant would have been foolish given how 2021 played out. Taking Bryant will hurt us in 2022, given how things seem to be playing out.

At QB, 'better to be lucky, than good.' The position can turn into a nightmare in a hurry.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - dansplaining - 12-29-2021 08:54 AM

(12-29-2021 01:50 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(12-28-2021 11:51 PM)holybovine Wrote:  In the new transfer era, it is imperative to take a QB every year, regardless of how the depth chart looks in the moment. Movement is too unpredictable.

Talking Bryant was smart as Hutch got hurt. However, having a QB 1a and 1b is a recipe for disaster (as borne out).

So not taking Bryant would have been foolish given how 2021 played out. Taking Bryant will hurt us in 2022, given how things seem to be playing out.

At QB, 'better to be lucky, than good.' The position can turn into a nightmare in a hurry.

I think you're going to see the NCAA formalize some rules regarding player movement in order to keep it from being a true game of musical chairs every year.

that being said ive been praising CCs ability to work the portal and this is a big test for him. assuming smith and may arent there yet - can he identify a qb that can come in and fit the system him and pike want to run and convince that player to come? we all know this is an attractive destination for a qb - experienced O-Line, good receivers, air it out offense - should be interesting to see how this all plays out.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 12-29-2021 09:15 AM

(12-29-2021 08:54 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(12-29-2021 01:50 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

I think you're going to see the NCAA formalize some rules regarding player movement in order to keep it from being a true game of musical chairs every year.

that being said ive been praising CCs ability to work the portal and this is a big test for him. assuming smith and may arent there yet - can he identify a qb that can come in and fit the system him and pike want to run and convince that player to come? we all know this is an attractive destination for a qb - experienced O-Line, good receivers, air it out offense - should be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Good points and I'll address it under the Bryant thread.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 12-29-2021 06:06 PM

https://twitter.com/AdamRammouni5/status/1476319012107833350?s=20

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu79 - 12-30-2021 08:42 AM

(12-29-2021 06:06 PM)emu steve Wrote:  https://twitter.com/AdamRammouni5/status/1476319012107833350?s=20

This was reported a while back on November 17 in this thread.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 12-30-2021 09:38 AM

(12-14-2021 02:22 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(12-14-2021 01:52 PM)emu79 Wrote:  If we do take a quarterback in this class keep your eye on Cam'Ron McCoy 6'2 190 a high school prospect out of Missouri. He has us Cindy and UT Martin as his top 3 picks.

If we do, I'm worried. I count 5 QBs, 4 of whom are scholarship (Bryant, Hutch, May and Smith).

I doubt we need another unless we fear one is leaving.

Oh, my...

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu79 - 12-31-2021 05:00 PM

We have been talking about impact folks on the defense side here's one that is still out there.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Taylor-Lewis-152302/RecruitInterests/

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu79 - 01-01-2022 01:55 PM

So we have been discussing May and Smith at QB plus Kaminski. Lets not forget Aaron Jackson who was brought in at QB and has been QB for some wildcat plays this past year. We are also bringing in as a PWO Cole McElvany who was a QB at Milan and ran for 1,185 yards and 20TDs and passed for 1,117 yeards and 8 TDS. Certainly has QB size at 6'2 210. I believe they would like Cole as a LB.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - TheWoodenNickle - 01-01-2022 03:32 PM

(01-01-2022 01:55 PM)emu79 Wrote:  So we have been discussing May and Smith at QB plus Kaminski. Lets not forget Aaron Jackson who was brought in at QB and has been QB for some wildcat plays this past year. We are also bringing in as a PWO Cole McElvany who was a QB at Milan and ran for 1,185 yards and 20TDs and passed for 1,117 yeards and 8 TDS. Certainly has QB size at 6'2 210. I believe they would like Cole as a LB.
I think that only May and Smith have the potential to be D1 QBs. There's a reason that kids are walk-ons and/or change positions and it's usually that they are lacking some of the essential skills to play at this level. I expect EMU to add one transfer and sign one freshman to get back to four scholarship QBs.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - holybovine - 01-01-2022 04:05 PM

(01-01-2022 03:32 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
(01-01-2022 01:55 PM)emu79 Wrote:  So we have been discussing May and Smith at QB plus Kaminski. Lets not forget Aaron Jackson who was brought in at QB and has been QB for some wildcat plays this past year. We are also bringing in as a PWO Cole McElvany who was a QB at Milan and ran for 1,185 yards and 20TDs and passed for 1,117 yeards and 8 TDS. Certainly has QB size at 6'2 210. I believe they would like Cole as a LB.
I think that only May and Smith have the potential to be D1 QBs. There's a reason that kids are walk-ons and/or change positions and it's usually that they are lacking some of the essential skills to play at this level. I expect EMU to add one transfer and sign one freshman to get back to four scholarship QBs.

May and Smith were lightly recruited. I don’t trust either of them.

We MUST get a QB from the portal.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - Ken Barna - 01-01-2022 07:02 PM

Dear holybovine,
What you say does not necessarily hold water. There are many players that you describe that turn into pretty good players. It's how they are coached that is important.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - holybovine - 01-01-2022 09:28 PM

(01-01-2022 07:02 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear holybovine,
What you say does not necessarily hold water. There are many players that you describe that turn into pretty good players. It's how they are coached that is important.

Ken, you are right. Underrecruited players can be developed into quality starters. However, one should not expect it, IMO.

If you want to win right now, there are plenty of proven commodities in the transfer portal. Why take the risk?

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - Boca Rocket - 01-01-2022 10:48 PM

(01-01-2022 09:28 PM)holybovine Wrote:  

Ken, you are right. Underrecruited players can be developed into quality starters. However, one should not expect it, IMO.

If you want to win right now, there are plenty of proven commodities in the transfer portal. Why take the risk?

Bazelak would be a great pick up.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - holybovine - 01-02-2022 01:12 AM

(01-01-2022 10:48 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

Bazelak would be a great pick up.

You’re not kidding. Fingers crossed we can get someone at his level.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 01-02-2022 01:58 AM

Yep. "underrecruited players (who) can be developed into quality starters" isn't so much a strategy to win but like finding a winning lottery ticket in your pocket.

Our returning quarterbacks who thrown 1 pass in 2021. Austin Smith was 1 - 1. We've gone from feast to famine.