CSNbbs
U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field (/thread-904911.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - UABGrad - 08-18-2020 06:00 PM

Quote: “I want to tell you, I’ve looked at your plans. I want to tell you straight: you are very lucky to have the resources of the Alabama Athletics Department,” Adams said. “And again, honestly my opinion, your risk in practice with other players and coaches based on everything I’ve seen are likely to be very low — and lower than what your risk would be if you were back home in your community or even if you were just out on campus.”

https://yellowhammernews.com/u-s-surgeon-general-alabama-football-players-safer-on-the-field/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - quo vadis - 08-18-2020 06:03 PM

Yes, it's obvious these guys are safer - or at least no less safe - on the field than in class, and if they are safer than their risk to the community is lower too.

The cancel-football side is engaged in voodoo fear-mongering, IMO.

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - DavidSt - 08-18-2020 07:05 PM

No they are not safer. You have overweight linemen who are more at risk of dying from the virus than the others.

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - Kaplony - 08-18-2020 07:26 PM

(08-18-2020 07:05 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  No they are not safer. You have overweight linemen who are more at risk of dying from the virus than the others.

Let's compare the qualifications of the people on both sides in this thread:

Vice-Admiral Jerome Adams:

Maryland-Eastern Shore - BA Biopsychology BS Biochemistry

Indiana School of Medicine - MD

Cal-Berkley - Masters in Public Health

Private practice - Ball Memorial Hospital, Muncie, IN

Asst. Professor of Anesthesiology - Indiana University.

State Health Commissioner - Indiana

United States Surgeon General

DavidSt:

Message board hack

Dang....this is a tough choice....01-wingedeagle

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - 4x4hokies - 08-18-2020 07:35 PM

I'm pretty sure those kids going to early morning workouts with a curfew while being tested weekly are safer than the average student staying out late with friends.

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - utpotts - 08-18-2020 07:36 PM

(08-18-2020 07:05 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  No they are not safer. You have overweight linemen who are more at risk of dying from the virus than the others.

Thanks Doc!!!!! 01-wingedeagle

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - UABGrad - 08-18-2020 08:26 PM

(08-18-2020 07:26 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Let's compare the qualifications of the people on both sides in this thread:

Vice-Admiral Jerome Adams:

Maryland-Eastern Shore - BA Biopsychology BS Biochemistry

Indiana School of Medicine - MD

Cal-Berkley - Masters in Public Health

Private practice - Ball Memorial Hospital, Muncie, IN

Asst. Professor of Anesthesiology - Indiana University.

State Health Commissioner - Indiana

United States Surgeon General

DavidSt:

Message board hack

Dang....this is a tough choice....01-wingedeagle

Burn of the year nomination

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - jdgaucho - 08-18-2020 09:45 PM

(08-18-2020 06:00 PM)UABGrad Wrote:  
Quote: “I want to tell you, I’ve looked at your plans. I want to tell you straight: you are very lucky to have the resources of the Alabama Athletics Department,” Adams said. “And again, honestly my opinion, your risk in practice with other players and coaches based on everything I’ve seen are likely to be very low — and lower than what your risk would be if you were back home in your community or even if you were just out on campus.”

https://yellowhammernews.com/u-s-surgeon-general-alabama-football-players-safer-on-the-field/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Then someone else please tell the rest of the knucklehead students that if they want football, they must do their part.

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - EigenEagle - 08-18-2020 10:03 PM

No, most of them are in fact not obese. They are in better shape than most people their age.

It's not 1993 anymore.

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - NDSUguy - 08-19-2020 08:27 AM

(08-18-2020 10:03 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

No, most of them are in fact not obese. They are in better shape than most people their age.

It's not 1993 anymore.

not to mention that these "overweight linemen" are still the same overweight people if not playing football - except they are eating worse and exercising less.....

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - Kaplony - 08-19-2020 09:45 AM

(08-19-2020 08:27 AM)NDSUguy Wrote:  
(08-18-2020 10:03 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

It's not 1993 anymore.

not to mention that these "overweight linemen" are still the same overweight people if not playing football - except they are eating worse and exercising less.....

and not following a structured, controlled routine to limit exposure and not being tested on a regular basis to be isolated and treated if they do contract the virus.

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - EigenEagle - 08-19-2020 10:50 AM

Gotta say, there seems to be a real and implied callous indifference about staff and coaches and coaches among the "wont somebody think of the players" crowd.

There seems to be this dumb assumption everyone who works in FBS football is a millionaire oppressor slave driver of the poor, poor players. No consideration for position coaches, equipment managers, football operations, bus drivers, landscapers/physical plant guys, camera crew, etc. These people are generally older and probably more at risk and don't make all that much money, and they don't have the option to opt out.

Frankly, I think some people wanting to see the season the season cancelled don't actually care about player safety and don't even care what the players want. They want to watch it all burn for the year because they see the system as exploitative and unfair.

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - CliftonAve - 08-19-2020 11:15 AM

This is Lawrentz Metz, offensive lineman at Cincinnati. He's 6'9 335 pounds. I am guessing his BMI is lower than yours.

[Image: GettyImages-1179714313-1024x683.jpg]

James Hudson is 6'6 320 pounds. Again... not a fat body. These guys don't look like Ethan Suplee from when he was on Remember the Titans.

[Image: 2e44c624-aa63-466e-b241-12f386193756-sma...7950280495]

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - EigenEagle - 08-19-2020 11:22 AM

(08-19-2020 11:15 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

This is Lawrentz Metz, offensive lineman at Cincinnati. He's 6'9 335 pounds. I am guessing his BMI is lower than yours.

[Image: GettyImages-1179714313-1024x683.jpg]

James Hudson is 6'6 320 pounds. Again... not a fat body. These guys don't look like Ethan Suplee from when he was on Remember the Titans.

[Image: 2e44c624-aa63-466e-b241-12f386193756-sma...7950280495]

Now someone's probably going to chime in here and say that he would be obese on the BMI scale, but he's an example of why the scale doesn't work for men with a large percentage of muscle mass.

More importantly, he probably has a lower body fat percentage than most of us.

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - JRsec - 08-19-2020 11:42 AM

(08-18-2020 06:03 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Yes, it's obvious these guys are safer - or at least no less safe - on the field than in class, and if they are safer than their risk to the community is lower too.

That's why University Presidents who have said if we can't have classes in person we won't have football have been pushing a phony narrative from Day 1. Almost every university has a core curriculum taken by Freshmen and Sophomores. Teach that online only and you not only remove the worst offenders of the social constraints from the campus, but you can have an unlimited enrollment of those two class groupings since space and classroom size are no longer constraints. This means the schools make up more revenue, increase class space for Juniors and Seniors who are working on majors and minors and increase space for graduate students and research.

This makes financial, logistical, and quarantine sense. But no, the presidents refuse to set up a win win scenario at many of these schools proving that either they have their head firmly inside a small box of thinking or are trying to make some other kind of statement alien to the function of the school.

In either event the ability of the student athletes in a pandemic to utilize athletic only dorms, with tutors to help with scheduling and maintaining academic endeavors should not be impacted by whether Freshmen and Sophomores are on campus or not and the upper classmen of the undergraduate are a smaller % at every school and more mature, and likely don't pose the risk as those in their first 2 years.

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - SoCalBobcat78 - 08-19-2020 12:00 PM

(08-18-2020 06:03 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Yes, it's obvious these guys are safer - or at least no less safe - on the field than in class, and if they are safer than their risk to the community is lower too.

The reason the NFL can make it work is that they are basically in a bubble with daily testing. All media interviews are done through Zoom. Players go home to their families or girlfriends. Going out into the student population is a lot different and the cost of testing is significant for a university.

As a country, we had six months to contain this virus and we just have not done it. The Surgeon General is applauding all the steps Alabama has taken but he is not exactly saying that football players back on campus with other students is a great idea. I want college football as much as anybody and I thought the Big 10 and PAC-12 gave up too soon. But I can also see that things are not trending well with the virus and I don’t care how well a school does to protect their players from the virus, it will never work with students if there is not a commitment in our country to contain the virus.

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - HiddenDragon - 08-19-2020 12:26 PM

The cancel-football side is engaging in common sense, a tactic that doesn't fit the narrative of the "play for our entertainment" side. Fear-mongering is more dramatical and therefore the preferred tactic for the "play for our entertainment" brethren to thump their chest and cry aloud for the injustices being done to their college athletes, their parents, coaches, AD's and fans who yearn to college football played this fall.

07-coffee3

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - Kaplony - 08-19-2020 12:58 PM

(08-19-2020 12:26 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  

The cancel-football side is engaging in common sense, a tactic that doesn't fit the narrative of the "play for our entertainment" side. Fear-mongering is more dramatical and therefore the preferred tactic for the "play for our entertainment" brethren to thump their chest and cry aloud for the injustices being done to their college athletes, their parents, coaches, AD's and fans who yearn to college football played this fall.

07-coffee3

[Image: wK3jFx8.jpg]

The only fear-mongering going on is coming from the covid hype men like you by your continued insistence that these young men are more in danger of catching the virus if they are in a system where there is a level of controlled access, protection protocols are in place, and regular testing than they would be if they were just out on their own. Simple logic tells you that you stance is wrong, yet you insist on calling it "common sense".

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - quo vadis - 08-19-2020 01:55 PM

(08-19-2020 12:26 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  

Wait a minute ... I thought you said you didn't have a dog in this hunt, or something like that?

07-coffee3

RE: U.S. surgeon general: Alabama football players safer on the field - The Cutter of Bish - 08-19-2020 03:06 PM

(08-19-2020 12:00 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

The reason the NFL can make it work is that they are basically in a bubble with daily testing. All media interviews are done through Zoom. Players go home to their families or girlfriends. Going out into the student population is a lot different and the cost of testing is significant for a university.

As a country, we had six months to contain this virus and we just have not done it. The Surgeon General is applauding all the steps Alabama has taken but he is not exactly saying that football players back on campus with other students is a great idea. I want college football as much as anybody and I thought the Big 10 and PAC-12 gave up too soon. But I can also see that things are not trending well with the virus and I don’t care how well a school does to protect their players from the virus, it will never work with students if their is not a commitment in our country to contain the virus.

Agreed.

And, no matter the side, I think it’s far too soon to confirm impact of the disease on the body. I think downplaying severity based on age statistics is just as baseless as as fearing that sports activity on the body anytime after contraction as a death sentence. We don’t know. This takes time. It sucks to be at this moment.