CSNbbs
MWC, B1G, dominos - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: MWC, B1G, dominos (/thread-904387.html)

MWC, B1G, dominos - uiniu57 - 08-10-2020 06:58 PM

A second "domino" has now officially fallen.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mountain-west-conference-cancels-season-football-coronavirus-covid19-concerns-214810578.html

Then another domino.....

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29640222/sources-big-ten-pulls-plug-fall-football-season

....and another.....
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29640603/sources-pac-12-calls-fall-sports-eyes-spring

RE: MWC, B1G, dominos - niu79 - 08-11-2020 06:03 PM

It will be interesting to see if anyone else capitulates. The SEC won't budge, and the ACC is leaning towards playing. The Big 12 is just waiting for their master (University of Texas) to decide for them.

The remainder of the G5 conferences want to tie themselves to the SEC.

Not sure this will have an immediate domino effect, but we shall see.

RE: MWC, B1G, dominos - Motown Bronco - 08-12-2020 09:56 AM

There was a point where I thought they'd all go down before September. But I'm now thinking a few of them (especially the southern ones) will actually get a few/some games in. Interesting to see if anyone gets the December finish line.

RE: MWC, B1G, dominos - HW58 - 08-12-2020 12:31 PM

(08-12-2020 09:56 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  There was a point where I thought they'd all go down before September. But I'm now thinking a few of them (especially the southern ones) will actually get a few/some games in. Interesting to see if anyone gets the December finish line.

If they start in the fall and can't finish the season (and I would bet my house they won't be able to), it'll be interesting to see whether they would be allowed to play again in the spring unless only to finish the fall season. I would imagine starting over with a "second" football season in the spring would really mess with kids' eligibility. Just speculating.

RE: MWC, B1G, dominos - Boca Rocket - 08-12-2020 03:15 PM

(08-11-2020 06:03 PM)niu79 Wrote:  It will be interesting to see if anyone else capitulates. The SEC won't budge, and the ACC is leaning towards playing. The Big 12 is just waiting for their master (University of Texas) to decide for them.

The remainder of the G5 conferences want to tie themselves to the SEC.

Not sure this will have an immediate domino effect, but we shall see.

Since 2000, there are only 2 non SEC, ACC, Big 12
National Champions - Ohio St.

RE: MWC, B1G, dominos - randyfensfanclub1 - 08-12-2020 07:48 PM

SEC would play if they were the only conf. Play themselves and declare themselves national champ. Kinda like now.

RE: MWC, B1G, dominos - Chicago_sportsfan - 08-13-2020 01:00 PM

(08-12-2020 12:31 PM)HW58 Wrote:  
(08-12-2020 09:56 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  There was a point where I thought they'd all go down before September. But I'm now thinking a few of them (especially the southern ones) will actually get a few/some games in. Interesting to see if anyone gets the December finish line.

If they start in the fall and can't finish the season (and I would bet my house they won't be able to), it'll be interesting to see whether they would be allowed to play again in the spring unless only to finish the fall season. I would imagine starting over with a "second" football season in the spring would really mess with kids' eligibility. Just speculating.

It won’t be a season in the spring anyway, so why not take the chance and play this fall

RE: MWC, B1G, dominos - Chicago_sportsfan - 08-13-2020 01:23 PM

(08-12-2020 12:31 PM)HW58 Wrote:  

It won’t be a season in the spring anyway, so why not take the chance and play this fall