CSNbbs
Once mighty programs - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Once mighty programs (/thread-901075.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Once mighty programs - Erictelevision - 06-13-2020 12:11 AM

During last CBB season ESPN.COM had a feature on once mighty hoops programs that have fallen off. What football programs would merit inclusion? My picks:

Penn State
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Michigan
Tennessee
Florida State
Miami
Texas
Nebraska
USC

(Regarding USC, Teas and Michigan: "publicly" doesn't equal "success")

RE: Once mighty programs - Hokie Mark - 06-13-2020 07:10 AM

(06-13-2020 12:11 AM)Erictelevision Wrote:  During last CBB season ESPN.COM had a feature on once mighty hoops programs that have fallen off. What football programs would merit inclusion? My picks:

Penn State
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Michigan
Tennessee
Florida State
Miami
Texas
Nebraska
USC

Penn State hasn't really fallen off much - replace them with Pitt.

Too early to pass judgment on FSU - their last national championship trophy hasn't had time to collect dust yet.

The rest - yeah.

RE: Once mighty programs - 3BNole - 06-13-2020 07:44 AM

FSU - We literally beat Michigan in the 2016 Orange Bowl...

RE: Once mighty programs - Thiefery - 06-13-2020 08:20 AM

I know Michigan hasn't beaten tosu in a very very long time but how are they on this list? Is this a list for teams who haven't won a title in 10 years? Because FSU shouldn't be on that. Syracuse? Were they they "mighty".. That they warrant being on this list too?

ahh NVM I just saw who the OP was

RE: Once mighty programs - esayem - 06-13-2020 08:31 AM

How many title game appearances and playoffs has Notre Dame made the last decade?

If teams are consistently ranked and making major bowls, they haven’t “fallen off”. There can only be one champion.

Pitt, Tennessee, BYU, Nebraska, Miami, and SMU all spring to mind.

RE: Once mighty programs - BePcr07 - 06-13-2020 09:00 AM

(06-13-2020 08:31 AM)esayem Wrote:  How many title game appearances and playoffs has Notre Dame made the last decade?

If teams are consistently ranked and making major bowls, they haven’t “fallen off”. There can only be one champion.

Pitt, Tennessee, BYU, Nebraska, Miami, and SMU all spring to mind.

Agreed. USC and Texas are getting there but not yet. Minnesota was a major power until like the early 70s.

RE: Once mighty programs - CliftonAve - 06-13-2020 09:27 AM

I guess it depends on your definition of “fallen off”. Michigan takes care of business against the Rutger’s and Illinois’ types, can’t seal the deal against tOSU.

Pitt is a great example of an old power that has fallen off. It’s been a few decades since they were a powerhouse. Syracuse is in the same boat. Minnesota was a power prior to WWII, they sucked afterwards up until the last couple of years.

Colorado was great in the 80s and 90s. They have fallen on hard times and I question the support from the university.

RE: Once mighty programs - esayem - 06-13-2020 09:51 AM

(06-13-2020 09:27 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I guess it depends on your definition of “fallen off”. Michigan takes care of business against the Rutger’s and Illinois’ types, can’t seal the deal against tOSU.

Pitt is a great example of an old power that has fallen off. It’s been a few decades since they were a powerhouse. Syracuse is in the same boat. Minnesota was a power prior to WWII, they sucked afterwards up until the last couple of years.

Colorado was great in the 80s and 90s. They have fallen on hard times and I question the support from the university.

I didn’t know Syracuse was a power. Good point about Colorado. Washington has shown signs of their former glory, so I didn’t include them. Georgia Tech should be on the list too.

RE: Once mighty programs - Thiefery - 06-13-2020 10:21 AM

(06-13-2020 09:51 AM)esayem Wrote:  
(06-13-2020 09:27 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I guess it depends on your definition of “fallen off”. Michigan takes care of business against the Rutger’s and Illinois’ types, can’t seal the deal against tOSU.

I didn’t know Syracuse was a power. Good point about Colorado. Washington has shown signs of their former glory, so I didn’t include them. Georgia Tech should be on the list too.

Think it's better for us to look at the bluechip ratio rankings to know who has "fallen off" and who has not. Because once a school is not getting a certain number, it means they have fallen in the eyes of the most important group.. High school players deciding where to go.

RE: Once mighty programs - BruceMcF - 06-13-2020 10:22 AM

Kind of need to put some rough "power when, fallen off since when" guidelines, otherwise we are starting with the pre WWI powerhouses Harvard and Yale.

RE: Once mighty programs - TerryD - 06-13-2020 10:41 AM

(06-13-2020 12:11 AM)Erictelevision Wrote:  During last CBB season ESPN.COM had a feature on once mighty hoops programs that have fallen off. What football programs would merit inclusion? My picks:

Penn State
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Michigan
Tennessee
Florida State
Miami
Texas
Nebraska
USC

While ND has not won a national championship under Brian Kelly, it:

--is 33-6 in the past three seasons.

--has double digit victory totals in 4 of the last 5 seasons (10-3; 4-8; 10-3; 12-1;11-2)

--had undefeated regular seasons in 2012 and 2018.

--was in the BCS title game and made the playoffs in the last 8 years.

--is 92-37 overall under Brian Kelly (2010-19).

RE: Once mighty programs - goofus - 06-13-2020 10:54 AM

Yes, I was expecting a list that went much further back. So far back nobody even remembers them being powers.

Something like Princeton, Army, Minnesota, etc.

RE: Once mighty programs - ChrisLords - 06-13-2020 11:12 AM

Penn State -hasn't fallen off. Only briefly with Sandusky sanctions. Fine now.
Syracuse - A guess they were big in the 70's. They've certainly fallen off since the 90's but I think they only had 1 major bowl appearance that decade.
Notre Dame - See Terry. Still elite
Michigan - Went to a bowl game vs. Alabama last year. Lost but that's still pretty elite.
Tennessee - Absolutely fallen off since the 90s.
Florida State - 2 years fallen off. Whether or not that continues remains to be seen. They have brought in new coaches.
Miami - Absolutely fallen off since 2004.
Texas - Yeah they've fallen off too.
Nebraska - Prior to the last 3 year Nebraska won 8 or more games every year. So like FSU it remains to be seen whether this is the new norm.
USC - Absolutely has fallen off.

I also was expecting a much older list. Princeton, Yale, Pittsburgh, Minnesota

RE: Once mighty programs - Realigned - 06-13-2020 11:12 AM

Of the original list, clearly Nebraska, Tennessee, and maybe Miami have really regressed to where they are mid level programs in their own conference. The others listed are still competitive year in and year out. I agree that Syracuse probably was never a great program. They had some good stretches.

A program not mentioned is Arkansas which today may be one of the worse programs in the Power 5, but was a national power when it was in the Southwest Conference

RE: Once mighty programs - Erictelevision - 06-13-2020 11:43 AM

I was thinking "NC contender". You're right that the Noles are still in the afterglow of a title. I'm 42, so that's why the list has such a recency bias.

RE: Once mighty programs - Thiefery - 06-13-2020 11:57 AM

(06-13-2020 11:12 AM)Realigned Wrote:  Of the original list, clearly Nebraska, Tennessee, and maybe Miami have really regressed to where they are mid level programs in their own conference. The others listed are still competitive year in and year out. I agree that Syracuse probably was never a great program. They had some good stretches.

A program not mentioned is Arkansas which today may be one of the worse programs in the Power 5, but was a national power when it was in the Southwest Conference

Yes, they are one that has never returned to even the competitiveness they had as recently as the late 80's and early 90's. I feel for them because they saw the writing on the wall and joined the SEC. They didn't make enemies doing so (UT encouraged them to leave as well).

But they have been an odd fit in the SEC. I think they would have benefited more had they been included in the original Big 12 merger. They could have substituted for Baylor.

I think they found the right coach, he's evaluating and getting some real good kids out the DFW area.

RE: Once mighty programs - Thiefery - 06-13-2020 11:58 AM

(06-13-2020 11:43 AM)Erictelevision Wrote:  I was thinking "NC contender". You're right that the Noles are still in the afterglow of a title. I'm 42, so that's why the list has such a recency bias.

You should go look at the Bluechip ratio rankings

RE: Once mighty programs - Wedge - 06-13-2020 12:01 PM

Are we just picking teams at random for this list? Because there's a lot of difference among those teams. Just a few examples:

Penn State was ranked #9 in the final post-playoff AP poll last season. Three years before that, they won the Big Ten and had a final ranking of #7.

Notre Dame finished #12 last season and had top-5 finishes in 2012 and 2018.

USC isn't anywhere near the Carroll years, but they finished #3 just four years ago.

Florida State has had a recent rough patch, but geez, it's only been seven years since they won the frickin' national title, and they finished in the top 10 four years ago.

Even Michigan finished #10 four years ago, meaning that four of the teams listed in the OP were in the top 10 in 2016.

RE: Once mighty programs - Erictelevision - 06-13-2020 12:39 PM

Wedge: as I said, I was thinking NC contender. I ABSOLUTELY admit I was using a high bar.

RE: Once mighty programs - Bronco'14 - 06-13-2020 12:44 PM

Seems like U of Michigan still consistently puts up 10 win seasons.