CSNbbs
WAC Basketball Tourney to be 7 teams - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: WAC Basketball Tourney to be 7 teams (/thread-900906.html)

WAC Basketball Tourney to be 7 teams - CrimsonPhantom - 06-10-2020 02:41 PM

RE: WAC Basketball Tourney to be 7 teams - gleadley - 06-10-2020 02:46 PM

Well, there will only be 7 eligible teams. I'm not sure what else they were going to do. What would be real interesting to know is what contingencies are in place if Cal Baptist wins the WAC tournament on either the men's or women's side?

RE: WAC Basketball Tourney to be 7 teams - NMSUPistolPete - 06-10-2020 03:41 PM

(06-10-2020 02:46 PM)gleadley Wrote:  Well, there will only be 7 eligible teams. I'm not sure what else they were going to do. What would be real interesting to know is what contingencies are in place if Cal Baptist wins the WAC tournament on either the men's or women's side?

Well, the WAC Tournament was a 7-team tournament prior to GCU becoming eligible. We are back in the that mode again; at least until the WAC allows Dixie State and Tarleton join the tournament field in two years. By that time, Cal Baptist will be officially NCAA tournament eligible.

RE: WAC Basketball Tourney to be 7 teams - gleadley - 06-10-2020 03:49 PM

(06-10-2020 03:41 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  
(06-10-2020 02:46 PM)gleadley Wrote:  Well, there will only be 7 eligible teams. I'm not sure what else they were going to do. What would be real interesting to know is what contingencies are in place if Cal Baptist wins the WAC tournament on either the men's or women's side?

Well, the WAC Tournament was a 7-team tournament prior to GCU becoming eligible. We are back in the that mode again; at least until the WAC allows Dixie State and Tarleton join the tournament field in two years. By that time, Cal Baptist will be officially NCAA tournament eligible.

I'm aware, and would be all for it remaining a 7 team tournament even once Dixie St & Tarleton become eligible. Conference champ should get a first round bye & I have zero problem with the bottom 3 teams duking it out for the 7th spot every season.

RE: WAC Basketball Tourney to be 7 teams - NMSUPistolPete - 06-11-2020 01:14 PM

(06-10-2020 03:49 PM)gleadley Wrote:  
(06-10-2020 03:41 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  

I'm aware, and would be all for it remaining a 7 team tournament even once Dixie St & Tarleton become eligible. Conference champ should get a first round bye & I have zero problem with the bottom 3 teams duking it out for the 7th spot every season.

I see all 9 schools participating in the WAC tourney in two years. That's if Chicago State's remains financially viable after this COVID era. Maybe the WAC will play a 8-9 play-in game for the final slot in a 8-team tournament. Or, the WAC could adopt a WCC format; were the top 2 team automatically make it to the semifinals and the other 7 teams battle for the other two play-in slots in the semi finals.