CSNbbs
Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? (/thread-900475.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - everyone - 06-03-2020 12:29 PM

Does anyone really think this season will happen? How do you play a game when even one player on either team causes a 14 day quarantine of the entire team? Also, can you imagine the political issues/media issues with allowing mostly African American young men to play games risking illness, for our enjoyment? Is anyone really OK with that? Not me. This season isn't happening and there are major ramifications to that.

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - FriscoDawg - 06-03-2020 02:06 PM

There apparently aren't any political or media issues with protests (some of which that escalate into riots) that do not follow any physical distancing guidelines.

It is all up to the players. Once they are in camp and are determined to be virus-free, they are no longer free to mingle with just anyone they want. If team protocols are broken, offending players should be subject to automatic 14-day quarantines (that includes missing games if in-season) to minimize the impact on entire teams.

If players aren't mature enough to handle their personal responsibilities, maybe they shouldn't be in college or playing college sports.

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - freshtop - 06-03-2020 02:07 PM

If the pandemic continues into the Fall (and I feel like there is a good chance it will), then athletics will be the least of our concerns. Some Universities are going to be shuttering more than just athletic programs.

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - Ourland - 06-03-2020 02:13 PM

If there's no football season, several FBS programs won't survive. The first to come to mind are ULM, San Jose State, and Old Dominion.

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - mturn017 - 06-03-2020 02:41 PM

(06-03-2020 02:13 PM)Ourland Wrote:  If there's no football season, several FBS programs won't survive. The first to come to mind are ULM, San Jose State, and Old Dominion.

You're funny.

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - ghostofclt! - 06-03-2020 03:03 PM

clt says this should be a poll.

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - TOPSTRAIGHT - 06-03-2020 03:04 PM

PANIC CITY.

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - Ourland - 06-03-2020 03:49 PM

(06-03-2020 02:41 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(06-03-2020 02:13 PM)Ourland Wrote:  If there's no football season, several FBS programs won't survive. The first to come to mind are ULM, San Jose State, and Old Dominion.

You're funny.

I only say that because ODU seems to be pushing the hardest for "regionalization," and I don't fault you for it. I also get the feeling that you guys regret making the move up to FBS. I know ODU is very disappointed in the performance of it's teams over the past five years, as well as with CUSA itself. The money may be there, but the "will" may not.

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - FAU Connoisseur! - 06-03-2020 04:32 PM

(06-03-2020 12:29 PM)everyone Wrote:  Does anyone really think this season will happen? How do you play a game when even one player on either team causes a 14 day quarantine of the entire team? Also, can you imagine the political issues/media issues with allowing mostly African American young men to play games risking illness, for our enjoyment? Is anyone really OK with that? Not me. This season isn't happening and there are major ramifications to that.

Just shelter in place. No one has to be told by the government to do so. Football will be played in the South...hope you guys come for the ride. A little more optimism and little less Chicken Little goes a long way!!

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - Cyniclone - 06-03-2020 04:52 PM

Don't let some of our posters let you get it twisted. ODU didn't plunk down $67 million to rebuild its football stadium so it could go f off with Maine, Rhode Island and Elon less than five years later.

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - Saint Greg - 06-03-2020 05:00 PM

If anyone does I'm going to guess ULM.

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - HogDawg - 06-03-2020 05:35 PM

ODU will be fine, because they will join a bus league. 07-coffee3

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - Ourland - 06-03-2020 05:39 PM

(06-03-2020 04:52 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

Don't let some of our posters let you get it twisted. ODU didn't plunk down $67 million to rebuild its football stadium so it could go f off with Maine, Rhode Island and Elon less than five years later.

I hope you're right.

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - HogDawg - 06-03-2020 06:11 PM

ULLL.

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - FrankyP - 06-03-2020 06:36 PM

(06-03-2020 06:11 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  ULLL.

One of the northern la twins LTUR or ULM.

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - HerdZoned - 06-03-2020 07:11 PM

(06-03-2020 05:00 PM)Saint Greg Wrote:  If anyone does I'm going to guess ULM.

I think San Jose State, Eastern Michigan and Akron are in worse shape. Since 2013 to today 2020 Akron's enrollment has plummeted from 31,400 to under 18,000. They just eliminated 5 colleges and supposedly reorganized them under one umbrella, eliminating a few hundred jobs. Akron built InfoCision Stadium just 11 years ago at 61.8 million dollars and from what I understand is they still owe over 50 million dollars on it plus interest.

Since Akron moved to IA in 1987 they are 143-238 or an avg record of 4-7 yearly. Akron also just eliminated Men's Cross Country, Men's Golf and Women's Tennis. And are currently 1 under the min. limit of 16 sports to be IA, so technically the NCAA could reclassify them right now but I doubt that happens. They will probably get a 2-3 year waiver where one or more sports have to be added before any action will be done.

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - ghostofclt! - 06-03-2020 07:37 PM

clt says the marshal fan is correct, look for declining enrollment, recent overspend on FB expansion, small or rural environment.

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - Dracorex - 06-03-2020 08:02 PM

I honestly was just checking this thread making sure someone didn't say UAB because I was getting ready to drive to someone's IP address.

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - Magic95Fan - 06-03-2020 08:54 PM

I think there will 100 percent be football in the fall in the south. But I could see individual schools not playing. If there was someone who wouldn't make it, I'm with a lot of you: Akron or ULM.

RE: Which school(s) will be the first to cut major sports and/or drop to FCS? - SouthernMiss3613 - 06-03-2020 09:53 PM

(06-03-2020 07:11 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(06-03-2020 05:00 PM)Saint Greg Wrote:  If anyone does I'm going to guess ULM.

I think San Jose State, Eastern Michigan and Akron are in worse shape. Since 2013 to today 2020 Akron's enrollment has plummeted from 31,400 to under 18,000. They just eliminated 5 colleges and supposedly reorganized them under one umbrella, eliminating a few hundred jobs. Akron built InfoCision Stadium just 11 years ago at 61.8 million dollars and from what I understand is they still owe over 50 million dollars on it plus interest.

Since Akron moved to IA in 1987 they are 143-238 or an avg record of 4-7 yearly. Akron also just eliminated Men's Cross Country, Men's Golf and Women's Tennis. And are currently 1 under the min. limit of 16 sports to be IA, so technically the NCAA could reclassify them right now but I doubt that happens. They will probably get a 2-3 year waiver where one or more sports have to be added before any action will be done.

That is crazy that Akron built a stadium for just 61mil a decade ago.